http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how much of a gaming nerd am I...  (Read 1313 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »

if I will turn 32 in June and I just bought a Halo3 calendar at WallyWorld yesterday? In my defense it was only $4 down from the original $8... ninja

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »

it would only be nerdy if you were dressed up as Chun Li while you did it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

Oh he was.  I have pictures.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »

In the scope of nerdy gaming impulse purchases, that's relatively minor.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

So, I bought the Steel Battalion bundle when it first came out at $200.  For one game.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on February 21, 2009, 09:03:55 PM

if I will turn 32 in June and I just bought a Halo3 calendar at WallyWorld yesterday? In my defense it was only $4 down from the original $8... ninja

I have Generation 1 Transformers on display in my living room along with the Fallout 3 bobblehead and lunchbox.  I have the entire collection of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 toys scattered across my desk at work.  We have Finding Nemo animation stills mounted immediately above our saltwater aquarium.  I've scheduled social events around online MP gaming nights.  Hell, I've scheduled actual online MP gaming nights as a social event.

You're at least in the right place as you are not alone. icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »

It depends - was this an 2008 calendar?  icon_razz
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on February 22, 2009, 07:29:32 PM

It depends - was this an 2008 calendar?  icon_razz
Heh, no it's a 2009. But it's good to know that that small quick foolish feeling of 'I must look like a dork' when placing it on the counter doesn't last long.  icon_lol

Edit: Now that I think about it I almost had a double whammy since I was looking at purchasing a new Star Wars book at the same time. Glad I averted that disaster.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:57:26 PM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

I own:

-Steel Battalion (bought when it re-released before the multiplayer version came out)
-a life-sized replica of Sting hanging in my living room
-a gilt map of Middle Earth, framed
-various figures on my desk at home, including Neo, Trinity, a black Halo Master Chief, Vader's Tie Advanced, Nosferatu, the Somnambulist from the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and three self-painted 40k space marines
-on my desk at work, I have a stuffed companion cube, the Comic Book Guy (in a "Worst Episode Ever" t-shirt), Hank Scorpio, my Fallout 3 lunchbox and bobblehead, and a copy of War of the Ring next to the desk
-all four Left 4 Dead posters hanging above my desk at work
-I had last year's WoW page-a-day calendar at work

I think buying a Halo calendar at half off would probably be one of the less-geeky things I could do all year.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »

I get that nerdy feeling whenever I happen to be in a video game store... and then I realize I'm wearing a video game tee-shirt.  AND I'm a woman.  AND I'm kinda old. 

At least I know that the voices in my head are actually real - it's the pre-teens debating exactly how many cats I must be going home to.  "Whaddya think, 50? 100?" "Shhhh, she'll hear you!"  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:04:55 AM »

yeah, that's really tame. spend 250 on drums for rock band. although they can be used as electronic drums as well.i have a persona 4 calendar from the expansion pack, plus all the other goodies with it. lots of other various stuff from preorders.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:45 PM »

250 for Rock Band drums?   I spent $200 to buy Samba De Amigo bongos for the Dreamcast off of ebay back in the day frown

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 22, 2009, 09:09:12 PM

I own:

As in the musician? If it's Sting dressed as Feyd Rautha it would be a lot geekier.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 24, 2009, 03:53:01 PM

Quote from: Chaz on February 22, 2009, 09:09:12 PM

I own:

As in the musician? If it's Sting dressed as Feyd Rautha it would be a lot geekier.

No, the sword.  I forgot to mention the life-sized Bowie from Labyrinth that I have in my bedroom.  Or as I call it, the Man Chamber.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

Halo 3 is too mainstream to be considered nerdy, although the puke green 360's have somewhat of a nerdy mystique to them. I'll bet there's even a CEO somewhere out there, not employed in the vidgame industry, that has a Halo 3 calendar hanging on their wall. As for Star Wars books, they don't ever register as blips on nerd radar anymore; e.g. they're by far the most represented and popular fiction at the public libraries in my city. I think if you want to be able to submit your nerd application you're going to have to try harder. Showing up for work decked out in cosplay would be a good start. slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

If you've seen who the "biggest Halo Wars fan in the UK"  is Roll Eyes, you'd know it's not geeky at all to like Halo.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/uk-woman-is-most-definitely-absolutely-the-1-halo-wars-fan/ (sorta NSFW)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:08 PM »

I consider the people who go to any of the various cons dressed up as some obscure character and while there stay in character the entire time to be nerds. These people are the very definition of nerd. The best is when they get aggravated at you for asking them questions which they deam to be dumb and below them. Priceless.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 24, 2009, 05:02:15 PM

If you've seen who the "biggest Halo Wars fan in the UK"  is Roll Eyes, you'd know it's not geeky at all to like Halo.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/uk-woman-is-most-definitely-absolutely-the-1-halo-wars-fan/ (sorta NSFW)

Yup...I don't know what it is, but a lot of women and girls seem to really like Halo. My 9 year old daughter begs me to let her to play it, but I don't even let her 12 year old brother play it yet. Apparently she got to play Halo 3 baseball -batting a player around with the grav hammer- at her cousins and she loved it; gee thanks bro-in-law. icon_confused  I'm hoping that the tamer Teen rating in Halo Wars will make it an OK game for her in a few years.

I don't quite understand what the appeal is to the other gender though. Is it the Master Chief character model, is it Master Chief's masculine voice, is it the cool feminine voice of Cordana? I do recall that many of the designs for the 3 Halos were created by a women on the dev team, so maybe she' struck a nerve? Or is it because the game just has a cool mystique surrounding it now?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:59:22 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 24, 2009, 05:02:15 PM

she's hawt.  I'd have a geekgasm all over her halo unibrow

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: