http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So... how do these Virtual Consoles work?  (Read 640 times)
unbreakable
« on: December 08, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »

Not the concept: downloaded games are nothing new.

But what I'm curious about is if you purchase a game, is that tied to your account so you always have it?  Or does it download, you can play it, but if you erase it it's gone?  Then if you feel like playing it in a year, do you have to re-purchase it?
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »

On the 360, it is tied to your Gamertag, so you can redownload at no cost.  On the Wii however, it is tied to your Wii Code, which is tied to the console.  This is why if your Wii fails and you have downloaded content, you will have to go through Nintendo to get it repaired in order to keep your VC titles.  If you take a broken Wii back to say Best Buy and get it replaced, any VC downloads are gone as is the money you paid for those titles.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »

i havent noticed,even though i have downloaded 1 game up to now

but is there an option to save it to an SD card?....those cards can hold quite a bit cant they

it would be handy if you could transfer the games from the internal memory to the memory card...or copy it to a card so you have a spare copy for if your Wii breaks down...just a thought

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 08, 2006, 05:33:17 PM

i havent noticed,even though i have downloaded 1 game up to now

but is there an option to save it to an SD card?....those cards can hold quite a bit cant they

it would be handy if you could transfer the games from the internal memory to the memory card...or copy it to a card so you have a spare copy for if your Wii breaks down...just a thought

They do indeed copy to SD.  I am using a 1G as backup so I don't have to redownload should something go wrong or if I get enough of them that they no longer fit on the built in memory.  Still, though, yo udon't HAVE to back them up as it remembers what games you have bought, so you could just redownload them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:43 PM »

I love Nintendo's stuff, but if there's one thing they're draconian on, it's copy protection. I doubt that you'll be able to make "backups" of your VC titles that can be transferred to a separate Wii if yours breaks down. Which is disappointing. The solution MS came up with is the best I've seen.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »

oh by the way..2 questions

is the SD card the same as the PSP magic gate cards,they look the same(i may of asked this before)

and also,has anyone tried to connect a keyboard to the USB sockets in the back of the Wii?...i tried to when i was trying out the email.....didnt work though and had to use the on screen keyboard(hope it isnt the same for when the internet channel comes available)

thx

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 08, 2006, 05:51:43 PM

I love Nintendo's stuff, but if there's one thing they're draconian on, it's copy protection. I doubt that you'll be able to make "backups" of your VC titles that can be transferred to a separate Wii if yours breaks down. Which is disappointing. The solution MS came up with is the best I've seen.

Yeah, it sounds like it.  It's pretty disappointing that, with all the time the Wii spent in development, Nintendo couldn't have come up with a better solution.

Honestly, I fully expected some XBox-Live equivalent stuff to be going on, which would tie together the Wii, DS, and internet communication and game matchmaking.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 07:26:28 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 08, 2006, 06:08:28 PM

Honestly, I fully expected some XBox-Live equivalent stuff to be going on, which would tie together the Wii, DS, and internet communication and game matchmaking.

What I would really like is to have a way to get DS demos through the Wii. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:30:22 PM »

The problem is that Nintendo is fighting against emulators. If/when the coding for the Virtual Console is cracked, anybody with the slightest bit of Google searching sense will be able to acquire for free everything that Nintendo offers on their VC. That means all NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 games will be able to be played on their console without having to buy them.

Nintendo does NOT want that to happen.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:32:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 08, 2006, 07:26:28 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on December 08, 2006, 06:08:28 PM

What I would really like is to have a way to get DS demos through the Wii. 

Already announced as coming. I have this feeling that Nintendo launched the system so they could capture as much sales as possible this year, and with the full knowledge that not everything they've discussed was going to be ready. I think next year will be the big make or break year for the Wii, depending on how they handle the new channels, fixing issues that people have, and how they launch the rest of the promised features. I don't think we've even seen the tip of the Iceberg on the whole Wiiconnect24 thing. How they handle this stuff going next year will determine how well the Wii will do for rest of it's lifespan.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: