http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So did you buy anything for your avatar?  (Read 1872 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »

I bought a Quiksilver shirt.

What about you guys?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:40:40 PM »

The Lightsaber and the Jedi t-shirt.  Because I had to.  I was a Jedi in some past life.  Yes, a ripoff at 400 pts.  But, I was a Jedi at sometime!  icon_lol

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »

No.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:11 PM »

I bought the Giant Q-tip in beta, wish I could afford a set of armor to go with it though, both the COG armor and the Clonetrooper look nice with my Q-tip
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

hell no. so stupid.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:54 PM »

It is taking all my might not to say, "I will spit on anyone who spends real money on designer shit for their virtual doll.  There is no greater indication that you have failed at life than putting one goddamn dime in virtual finery for your avatar."

Of course, if I were to say that, I would be a dickhead (even though it's true).  So I won't say anything like that.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »

If the COG armor ever becomes free I would certainly get it.....

Only if it's free though.  paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »

Not buying anything (unless a Bullwinkle item comes up), but I look forward to winning things.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »

Wow to some of the replies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »

I can't bring myself to spend more than maybe a buck on fake clothes for my fake person that doesn't actually do anything.  

It is going to be fun to watch the prices of these things settle out.  I particularly liked Lucasarts' prices.  It seems like crazy to charge $4 or $5 (can't remember which) for the clone armor, and another $2 for the helmet.  The Bungie and Bioshock prices made more sense, but I don't see slapping a Big Daddy helmet on my guy without the rest of the outfit.  

I have to admit some of the steampunk stuff was tempting.  The thing I'm really happy to see is that developers can now award Avatar clothes through the games as prizes.  Potentially makes achievements more interesting.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on August 11, 2009, 11:00:54 PM

It is taking all my might not to say, "I will spit on anyone who spends real money on designer shit for their virtual doll.  There is no greater indication that you have failed at life than putting one goddamn dime in virtual finery for your avatar."

Of course, if I were to say that, I would be a dickhead (even though it's true).  So I won't say anything like that.

Well, I have money to burn.  A new house.  Building a home theater and game room in my basement.  A job for life.  Healthy successful kids.  Why not?  I don't think I failed in life.  I'm loving it!  icon_cool

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 11, 2009, 10:53:09 PM

hell no. so stupid.

this.  heck, I have trouble even buying stuff that has no real use in real life.  as much as I may drool over the FX Lightsabers or complete Altair outfit (including the hidden blade) I know they'll do nothing but gather dust.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 11:57:06 PM »

I dig the fun, useless stuff myself. In beta I picked up one of the pirate outfits, hat, eyepatch, and telescope. The jedi stuff is really tempting but I'm going to wait a bit and see what comes out with the awards.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:41 AM »

I'm thinking about it.....   Haven't decided yet

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »

i have noticed that the props DO appear on your friends list,you just have to have your friends avatar 'selected' and eventually he gets his prop out retard...a friend has a lightsabre

i saw the Soccer ball in the avatar marketplace and your avatar starts doing kick ups(keepy uppies),which i thought was quite cool

i would love me some clone trooper outfit

i liked the Splinter cell stuff as well

i am a bit pissed off that in the preview we didn't have the star wars stuff,and here's me buying a big oversized pirate hat(damn you lucasarts!!)

i am however looking forward to the radical change in my friends list images,it will be fun to see what people choose

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »

hell no. so stupid.

This as well. It's one thing buying a CE edition of a game for a statue or something you'll only display for a while - it's another to buy something that's a digital item on a digital avatar. I mean, how often do you look at your avatar (never, for me, unless I scroll past it)? How often do you look at your friend's avatar (again, never, unless I scroll into it)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 12, 2009, 01:07:21 AM

hell no. so stupid.

This as well. It's one thing buying a CE edition of a game for a statue or something you'll only display for a while - it's another to buy something that's a digital item on a digital avatar. I mean, how often do you look at your avatar (never, for me, unless I scroll past it)? How often do you look at your friend's avatar (again, never, unless I scroll into it)?

Yeah I'm not even sure what the hell my avatar looks like.

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:38 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on August 11, 2009, 11:00:54 PM

Because there aren't worse ways to spend your money, right?

I don't see how this is different than any other cosmetic purchase you make for any object besides your body. Rims on a car? A poster for your wall? Etc..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:21:24 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 12, 2009, 01:09:29 AM

Quote from: Destructor on August 12, 2009, 01:07:21 AM

hell no. so stupid.

Yeah I'm not even sure what the hell my avatar looks like.

gellar

I actually do see my avatar a lot more than any collector's edition crap I got.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »

I'm surprised how alpha male overly stubborn and aggressive so many people here are getting.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to 'pimp your ride' regardless of what you drive and for many gamer geeks what you drive is actually your online persona.  There's nothing wrong with trying to bling up your online self in a forum that you know it will be seen.

I still think most of the stuff is overpriced, but some of the stuff seems just fine.  People who will pay $20 for a certain color rubber floormat in their car won't pay $5 for their favorite kick ass outfit on their character that they and most of their friends see for hours each day just cracks me up.  Grow a pair and stop just acting like you have some. Tongue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 06:11:40 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 12, 2009, 04:51:27 AM

I'm surprised how alpha male overly stubborn and aggressive so many people here are getting.  There's nothing wrong with wanting to 'pimp your ride' regardless of what you drive and for many gamer geeks what you drive is actually your online persona.  There's nothing wrong with trying to bling up your online self in a forum that you know it will be seen.

I still think most of the stuff is overpriced, but some of the stuff seems just fine.  People who will pay $20 for a certain color rubber floormat in their car won't pay $5 for their favorite kick ass outfit on their character that they and most of their friends see for hours each day just cracks me up.  Grow a pair and stop just acting like you have some. Tongue

Not to be contrary, but when do you see your avatar for hours a day?  Even if I am playing my 360 for several hours, I barely see my avatar as I load up a game and then most likely not again.  I pretty much never see my friends' avatars or really care what they look like.  "Hey, he's got the same helmet as that other guy.  Great."

Mostly I'm against monetizing frivolous crap in a place that previously hasn't had that.  Any time publishers start to see "alternative income models" it is usually bad news and in my opinion degrades the medium (see in-game ads, microtransactions for unlocking content, etc).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »

Playing 1v100 I see my avatar all the time.  Plenty more games are including avatar support as well.  Now you can see avatars on the website as well as on the friends list.

I don't like the helmets because they take away the personality of the avatar, I was giving Hellspawn a hard time about this.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

the stuff on the marketplace has really turned my head..although expensive and i will still prolly only buy if i have points left over

but as Hark pointed out,i forgot all about 1vs 100...who wouldn't want to look like this on there..it'd be a giggle

*heres hoping this guy(Grimm Mercenary from xbox.com)keeps his clone trooper outfit on for people to see it here

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »

Gloves for 40 points, the cheapest thing I could find, just to see how the process worked. Otherwise not really all that interesting.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »

I don't want an avatar in the first place.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 12, 2009, 11:34:40 AM

Don't be a dick!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 12, 2009, 11:36:46 AM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 12, 2009, 11:34:40 AM

Don't be a dick!

He's on to something though.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »

It is almost if Microsoft created the NXE to sell shit like this instead of actually improving Xbox Live.  Shocking!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on August 12, 2009, 12:19:40 PM

It is almost if Microsoft created the NXE to sell shit like this instead of actually improving Xbox Live.  Shocking!

what?! A company that wants to make money?! Shocking indeed!

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »

I very rarely see my own avatar, and don't think I've ever bothered to look at someone else's.  So there's not a chance I'll buy anything, but if people want to throw their money away on virtual clothes, who am I to judge?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 12, 2009, 12:21:27 PM

Quote from: Beer Goggles on August 12, 2009, 12:19:40 PM

what?! A company that wants to make money?! Shocking indeed!

Yeah. Right. Of course. But they didn't have to make the product worse to do it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »

I may not have followed this thread or others close enough then but...how did they make their product worse?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 12, 2009, 01:13:11 PM

I may not have followed this thread or others close enough then but...how did they make their product worse?
they didn't really, people just get stubborn when things change.  'get off my lawn! things were fine before!' syndrome.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »

My wife spends tons of time messing with her avatar.  So I guess there is a market for it.  Even if I personally don't understand it.

The funny thing I spent like 2 minutes setting my avatar up at NXE launch and everyone says it looks exactly like me. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »

My daugther spends most of her time in all of the sims game in setting up her persons...its hours she spends on that, and pretty much ignores the in-game, so yeah...its a chick thing I think ;-)

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

Are avatar clothing purchasers likely to have also bought faceplates for their Xbox, or am I naive in thinking those would both appeal to the same demographic?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »

I don't like the 'New XBox Experience' and I never have.  In exchange for being bombarded by advertising, I find that it is more difficult to find the information I'm looking for.  When they made me create an avatar, I put the minimum amount of time possible into creating a chubby, obviously gay, black man and I haven't put much thought or any effort into it since then, but it's certainly none of my business how anyone else spends his or her money.  Personally, I would have preferred that Microsoft make some refinements to XBL like the ability to more easily sort and search friends and media, functions that have been present on Microsoft's other flagship product for years.  But Bill Gates has a billion dollars and I still work for a living, so maybe he knows something I don't.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »

Why would I buy my avitar a new shirt or pants.  The lazy bastard sleeps all damn day, and when I do get the chance to fire up the 360 he has that shit eating grin on his face, like he's been telling all his little avitar buddies what I 'do' when I'm away.  He doesn't say anything at all, just sits their grinning.

The shirt and pants would only get stained when they offer to sell Desert Eagles so I can shoot that cocky bastard right between the eyes.

Just a little hiccup.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 12, 2009, 01:25:21 PM

My daugther spends most of her time in all of the sims game in setting up her persons...its hours she spends on that, and pretty much ignores the in-game, so yeah...its a chick thing I think ;-)

Every time we go into GS or BB, my daughter idles up to the Wii and spends the entire time we're there creating Miis.  She'll create dozens of personas for a game and play them all, thus never earning the points she needs to unlock things.  She had me take a look at Big Brain Academy to figure out why she couldn't create a character.  It's a hand me down game, so I thought there might only be one save file.  She had created a new one called "sunny."  When I pointed out that "sunny" was her character, she couldn't understand why she couldn't see her.  I'm afraid to show her avatars.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

It's almost as if different people have different tastes and opinions, isn't it?

Quote from: Harkonis on August 12, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

Now you can see avatars on the website as well as on the friends list.

Shit, really?  I need to stop my daughter customising my avatar.  ninja

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: