http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:55:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So...did Boiling Point ever get fixed? A Poo investigates  (Read 2413 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »

When Boiling Point: Road to Hell was released it was met first with awe, immediately followed by intense disappointment.  Awe because it could have been a truly spectacular game (I believe I lazily described it as a present-day Deus Ex), and disappointment because it was extremely poorly optimised and absolutely riddled with bugs.  Back then I was posting on Octopus Overlords and cheerfully took one for the team because of the promise of untold gameplay riches.

If you read that thread you'll see that, rather embarrassingly, I didn't have a rig capable of running the game at the time, but even so I was able to see enough to tell that Boiling Point had been released in some kind of late alpha/early beta state.  This, lest we forget, is the game that shipped with a bug that enabled you to collapse a police station by firing a crossbow at it.  Other bugs include "jaguar floats across screen at treetop level" and "npc die on contact with grenades, and not from the actual explosion."  I seem to remember being unable to open and close doors, which is kind of necessary in most games that have doors if we're honest.

Critics were divided - Kieron Gillen wrote a rather memorable review on Eurogamer - and Gamerankings lists a surprising aggregate rating of 64%, with individual scores ranging from 90% down to 20%.

But the promise!  Oh, the promise of the game.  A very large, open world...so open that if you knew where to go you could reach the end of the game straight away, although without having played through and increased your stats etc., you couldn't possibly win.  Lots of vehicles, lots of weapons, quests, a faction system, and a lot of very nice touches.  Boiling Point could have been a classic.  By the time I'd upgraded my rig to a point where it could be played, I'd moved on.  From what I've gathered in the meantime, most other people had too and what patches did arrive, arrived altogether too late.

But what if the patches fixed all or at least most of the problems?  And despite the lack of optimisation, who nowadays doesn't have a PC capable of running the game?  I'm still very attracted by the idea of Boiling Point so, on a whim, I ordered it and downloaded the 200MB patch while I waited.

It arrived this morning.  It's installed.  It's patched.  For better or worse, it's as ready as it will ever be allowed to be.  I'm going to give it a go over the weekend and report back.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:31:14 AM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

Well, I can at least confirm that it runs perfectly on a 64-bit Windows 7 system.

I should say more about the game.  You play some hard-as-nails mercenary type whose daughter has been abducted in some fictitious South American nation.  It's first-person...in fact it does look a lot like Deus Ex, even ripping off being inspired by the interface.  For example, you have a string of boxes at the bottom of the screen that correspond to inventory items you've hotkeyed.  Much more than just a shooter, the developers have worked hard to make it as RPG as possible too.  A lot of your investigation is conducted through conversation, for example, and your weapon proficiencies can be levelled up.  Quests, places of interest and important characters are all tracked and only you decide what you're doing.

But anyway.  I've had a quick go to check that it works.  During that time I've approached my daughter's employer to find out what he knows.  He's charging a lot of money for the info and, although I apparently have the option of roughing him to get at it, I sensed that this is the game's way of introducing the player to some of the wider concepts.  I spare him from a good kicking and he advises me to get some work at the local bar to raise the cash.  He then gave me the keys to my daughter's car and I went for a quick spin around the city.

No bugs noted yet.  So far, so good.

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »

Curious how this movie ends.

Bring your own!

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »

Very interested in this. This is pretty much the kind of game that I'm into (STALKER is my favorite series of all time), so if its stable now I'll snag it. Basically what I read in the past was that it was so messed up it was often unplayable.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »

I bought it maybe a year later, and had missed Poo's original thread and all other news about the game.
My thread is here (not much there, folks), and reading back on it now, I do remember having a super-great time with a full-patched version (well, fully patched in 2006 anyway). I recall patching may have been a chore...?

I did have an absolute blast with it for maybe the 10 or 15 hours total I had into it. Ran quite nicely on whatever rig I had at the time.
Until I completed all my quests up to a certain point (I wasn't THAT far into the game, I know that), and the game just simply didn't give me any more quests. I wandered around for an hour or two, looking for another mission, but there were none. I'm guessing that was another bug. Anyway, I sadly quit then, and completely forgot about the game until now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

does it support widescreen resolutions natively?  I gave up due to bugs/performance issues too and every now and then I think about trying it again but never get around to it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »

I took at peek at the (rather lengthy) patch notes and this was there, so assuming the answer is yes.

Additions:
Support of non 4:3 video modes

-craig

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

Yep, I've been playing at 1440x900 just fine.  Giles, no problems patching whatsoever here; it's just a standard .exe.

Right, I should be able to squeeze another half an hour in now so back to South America I go!  This time I'm going to kill lots of people in the face, fairly indiscriminately.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

hmm.. Atari has this available for digital download for 10 bucks.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »

I just had another quick go.  I found the bar by stopping a passerby and asking - great touch, I'm often frustrated when you can't do this most logical of things in a game.  When we finished talking the bar was a selectable "mission," which meant the minimap led me straight to it.  After looking around and watching the dancing chick for a minute, I found some old guerilla called Jaime.  He told me that I could do some work for the Communist resistance for money, and told me where to enlist.

Checking the map which was now marked with the location of their base, I saw that it was six kilometres out.  At this point I could have taken a taxi, or possibly even a bus although I doubt buses go anywhere near it, but in order to see some sights I drove it myself.  Driving isn't great using A and D to steer, but it's better than using the mouse.  You can store things in the boot (or trunk) of the car, such as weapons or spare fuel.  You can also stop off at petrol (or gas) stations to refuel.

Anyway, I arrived at the base, signed up and was immediately given an infiltration mission, and visited their supply guy and got myself an assault rifle and ammo.  Driving back to town to find somewhere to sleep I passed through a couple of gunfights between government forces and the local mafia.  Marvellously, nobody fired at me - I haven't offended anyone (yet) so why would they?  That's something else I love about Boiling Point.  Nobody attacks you unless they have a reason to.  I plan to give them reason to in time, of course. icon_smile

I want to write more but I'm out of time.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I've yet to see a single bug.  I've logged less than an hour but so far I'm actually really enjoying myself!  Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent session in tonight when the kids are in bed.

Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

What?  Not going all Liam Neeson in Taken on everyone?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2010, 05:05:33 PM

hmm.. Atari has this available for digital download for 10 bucks.

Went this route and wondering if it was a mistake. First off, how in the heck do I know what version it is? No version shows anywhere I can find and I don't think it's patched as there are nothing other than 4:3 resolutions listed. The readme simply says "Boiling Point Readme File 02.05.05" and I think the patches came after that date. There's a "Default" registry entry that shows "1.00.000" as well.

I tried to apply the US patch and it tells me "Cannot locate BOILING POINT (USA), ANY, on your computer.". Fine, let me try the UK patch. Same error with (EUROPE) this time.  icon_evil

-craig

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:44:12 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 27, 2010, 11:01:06 PM

What?  Not going all Liam Neeson in Taken on everyone?

Haven't seen it. icon_smile

Craig, that's terrible luck.  My readme says 02.02.06.  I'd suggest emailing Atari, but don't hold your breath; I've had a support ticket open for another game for well over a week now with not even an initial response.  I hate Atari.  Tell them you want a refund if you can't get it patched!

That post of Giles's that he linked to on OO is great by the way, and anyone reading this thread should check it out.

In other news, I've played some more.  I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped to tonight because I reloaded a few times (still learning).  However, there's one major positive point I can make - Boiling Point with the latest patch is a world away from vanilla.  I can honestly say that I've barely seen anything like a bug.  The occasional clipping problem (very minor) and just little bits like some dialogue missing which isn't a problem thanks to subtitles.  I'd even go as far as saying it's pretty polished now, especially for an Eastern European game.  If I stop playing, it's not going to be because of bugs/glitches. icon_cool

If some of you are going to start playing, I'd better start being careful about spoilers.  Hmmm.  Well, I finished the infiltration mission (profit) and took another job.  However, merely accepting it immediately lowered my standing with the government which I found pretty annoying.  The mission is to blow up some government choppers.  I was going to decline because the government is the one faction I wasn't planning on pissing off, and how much was the hardware going to cost, where would I find it, and.....oh.....you're giving me a rocket launcher?  OK THEN!

Driving around some more, I happened upon some guy marked 'suicide' standing on the edge of a pretty high bridge.  I parked, walked over to him and successfully convinced him to jump.  Feeling good about myself, I got back in my car and soon found myself at a government checkpoint.  They immediately opened fire on me, but using the tried-and-tested military strategy of lying down in the middle of the road, I returned fire and wasted all of the soldiers with the help of some guerillas who had, by chance, also arrived on the scene.  Afterwards I was mostly doing missions which I won't talk about right now because of spoilers.

I really need to find out how to keep my car on the road.  I don't want to have to buy a new one if it gets wasted, but changing tyres only does so much and I'm not about to pay for repairs either.  I hope that isn't my only option.

One of the many nice little touches is light.  Lights from your car, for example, are actual beams of light and behave as such, rather than a fixed section of the road ahead just being artificially brightened.  And when you shine your torch (flashlight) on something, as well as the point where your beam hits getting a lot brighter, the surrounding area is also brightened to some degree.  I thought that was cool.  And want to know the time?  Hit H and look at your watch, of course!  Being able to carry stuff in your car is excellent and adds a further layer of realism - you're weighed down by big weapons like rocket launchers, so just like when you're blowing up military installations in real life, you carry your launcher in your car and only get it out when you're ready to attack.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »

it's weird, on the main site the US Flag link doesn't work at all. 

MonkeyFinger, have you tried updating to patch one before trying two?

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 01:00:47 AM »

The UK Atari page, for what it's worth, says that you need to use patches specific for the download version, and that they're posted in their help/support section.  It seems to be available here but I don't know if you'll be redirected since you're in the USA.  I can't get any further because I'm not a registered member.

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:55 AM »

Yah, I thought that was great - go to the "official site" and all of the country flags work except the US one. I did find where Atari hides their patches and tried the US one from there and from The Patches Scrolls, plus the UK 2.0 patch and none of them can find the damn game. It plays fine, so not really sure what the patch is looking for that it can't find. And yah, I've email Atari Support asking for some help or a refund but as you noted, not even an automated "hey, we got your email!" response back and they said somewhere it could take 7-10 days for anything to happen while their support is "in transition", whatever that means. Basically, I think it means I'm screwed.

Edit: Turns out I did get the automated email, it's just that it went into my spam trap. We'll see if anything comes of this. I may fall back on PayPal to see about a refund but will let this play out first.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:10:56 AM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »

I just ordered the DVD version off Amazon. Shipping was as much as the game. I also started looking for the patches to have in anticipation of the release. Like MonkeyFinger found, there is a 192meg UK patch, the US patch is only up to 1.1 and it's less than 1/3 the size.

I went to other places like Gamershell.com to see if there were other versions, but couldn't find anything. Even the Atari forums seem to ignore the game, despite supporting Atari stuff clear back to their console days.

The reasons I ignored this game are all starting to come back to me.  icon_surprised
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »

Quote from: tok on February 28, 2010, 03:11:21 PM

I just ordered the DVD version off Amazon. Shipping was as much as the game. I also started looking for the patches to have in anticipation of the release. Like MonkeyFinger found, there is a 192meg UK patch, the US patch is only up to 1.1 and it's less than 1/3 the size.

I went to other places like Gamershell.com to see if there were other versions, but couldn't find anything. Even the Atari forums seem to ignore the game, despite supporting Atari stuff clear back to their console days.

Back in late '06, I ended up applying the Euro 2.0 patch on my US DVD version, and it worked just fine. No glitches or anything, right up until I just ran out of quests about 10 to 15 hours in. Could be that I just missed something there though. The game is so wide-open that there could have been more quests lurking around somewhere. Or else I just broke the game's quest system.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the European patch works with all versions.  You should be OK Tok.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 28, 2010, 04:49:36 PM

Yeah, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the European patch works with all versions.  You should be OK Tok.

I'm pretty sure I did eventually patch my older copy up to 2.0 before I ended up forgettign about it.

Because I can,
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »

Thanks, D/L'ing now!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »

Quote from: tok on February 28, 2010, 06:03:44 PM

Thanks, D/L'ing now!

All versions except mine, it seems. Curious if this works for you.

-craig

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »

Think I got a copy from gogamer or big lots for uber cheap last year. Applied the UK patch fine but don't remember if my dvd was us or uk. I only briefly fired it up but dig what they tried to do. Makes me think of Deus Ex in the jungle because of the hud/gui stuff. Still need to go back and play once I finish some other games I'm working on. Think all I did was test drive the boat a bit.

tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 02:00:36 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 28, 2010, 06:34:29 PM

Quote from: tok on February 28, 2010, 06:03:44 PM

Thanks, D/L'ing now!

All versions except mine, it seems. Curious if this works for you.

My order says it shipped yesterday, so I should have it in the next day or so... I will install and let you know how it works, but I'm totally hooked on Call of Pripyat right now. Can't recommend it enough for anyone that likes action/RPG hybrids.
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »

OK... So it took a little longer than I expected. My Amazon.com order came to the States from Canada, but to look at the box you'd think it actually came from the actual Amazon. Corners torn, lots of shelf wear and a $4.97E sticker.

The box had never been opened though, and the contents were fine. Installed the game and the 2.0 patch with no issues. Only played for a few minutes, but this does seem like quite a neat game. I'm going to finish STALKER before I really start this one, but I'm looking forward to it.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »

That's great Tok, I hope you enjoy it!

I wonder if Craig got anywhere with Atari?  icon_confused

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:48 PM »

Pfffttt... of course not. Might as well have dropped my support case down a well. I did, however, find out they have a "30 day refund" policy on digital goods as long as I sign something in blood that I've destroyed it or some such. I'm going to go that route and, if I really feel like trying again I'll just get a plain old retail copy.

-craig

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »

Yeah, I'd do that.  Although I'd be tempted to just tell the truth - "you can't be arsed to even acknowledge my request, let alone actually provide the support I've asked for, so gimme my money back, arseholes!"

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

Which is basically what I've been trying to say but their fucking refund page doesn't work. I'm supposed to fill it out and they email me an "LOD" or Letter Of Destruction and then they process it when they get that back. I put in my order number, they show it to me, I fill out the rest of their form, click "Create" and it tells me in big angry red letters: Please check at least ONE item to issue a refund request! Problem is there's no fricking check box or any way to note anywhere that the one thing on my order is the item to be refunded.  finger

Tried multiple browsers in case it was an IE issue but no soap there. Now to seek other avenues of redress...

-craig

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »

Holy shit!  Atari are total scumbags, eh?  At this point I'd be on the phone to them with the promise of legal action.  I'm sure one of their customer service drones can mail you the form instead.  I'm also sure you're way ahead of me...consider my posts as moral support. slywink

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »

Well... this has finally come to a resolution. Atari support never responsed, I opened a dispute with PayPal and Digitial River whom I made payment to, they never responsed and their farking online 'refund' process still doesn't work in any browser I try. So this morning I tried to find an actual phone number to call on their site but couldn't, finally saw one in my original order email and called them. Person on the line pretty much just said the official Customer Service equivalent of "whatever" and credited the cost back to me. Roll Eyes

Now I just need to decide what to do. Morally I should uninstall the game and "destroy" my download which I will do, more than likely. Bigger question is how this has held up for yous guys and if I should track down a retail (a.k.a. patchable) version.

-craig

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »

Wow, I'm amazed that you got a refund relatively easily.  As to your question... I played a bit more since my last post and can honestly say that I haven't encountered any bugs.  Maybe a minor clipping problem every now and again but what FPS doesn't have those?  I would advise you to go for it.  Is it still available in America?  If not, and if you want it badly enough, I could always buy and ship you a copy.

Steam profile
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »

I did play it for half an hour to get a feel for it, and I found it quite compelling. It really shows it age in graphics, but the dialog tree's and stuff make the game feel really wide open.

Finally finished Call Of Pripyat, though it does have an open ending that lets you continue on to finish other quests/explore if you chose. I have 3 to complete and I've done every quest in the thing in the game (well, except those that are negated by other quests).
I'm not sure right now if I'm going to do the remaining Pripyat quests or start Boiling Point in earnest.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:08 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 21, 2010, 05:00:31 PM

So this morning I tried to find an actual phone number to call on their site but couldn't, finally saw one in my original order email and called them. Person on the line pretty much just said the official Customer Service equivalent of "whatever" and credited the cost back to me. Roll Eyes

did you at least get an English speaking rep?  I had to call them not too long ago and could barely understand what Apu was saying.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 22, 2010, 01:42:08 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 21, 2010, 05:00:31 PM

So this morning I tried to find an actual phone number to call on their site but couldn't, finally saw one in my original order email and called them. Person on the line pretty much just said the official Customer Service equivalent of "whatever" and credited the cost back to me. Roll Eyes

did you at least get an English speaking rep?  I had to call them not too long ago and could barely understand what Apu was saying.

Actually, I did.

-craig

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »

Will this work on Vista 64 bit? Amazon has it for $10.84. I had a lot of interest in this when it was released but all the reported bugs scared me off.
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 22, 2010, 02:58:26 PM

Will this work on Vista 64 bit? Amazon has it for $10.84. I had a lot of interest in this when it was released but all the reported bugs scared me off.

Running Win7 64 bit here, so I'm inclined to say yes.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »

Thanks. thinkI will give this a try.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »

By the way, what ever happened to "white Gold" that was supposed to be the next game by these devs.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 23, 2010, 02:38:07 PM

By the way, what ever happened to "white Gold" that was supposed to be the next game by these devs.

aaccording to wiki it's been out in Russia for quite some time.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: