http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So ah... there's some Star Wars game comin out tomorrow...  (Read 2325 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004, 05:17:47 PM »

... is anyone pickin this up or do ya think we should wait for bargain bin smile  But yeah seriously I'll make this now so people can start throwin up their impressions as they get em.  Do any of you lucky bastards at games stores have copies stashed under the counter to take home tonight?  Will our heads collectively explode once again at the shear awesomeness of the game???  Please don't let it be a rushed cash in please...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 05:50:52 PM »

I'm mostly concerned about the comments I read at IGN about the game being buggier than the original KOTOR.  Having to worry about keeping a backlog of old save games just in case of a broken quest trigger or an inexplicable loss of stats really kills the fun of a game for me.

-Autistic Angel
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »

is it really out tomorrow?  Monday's an unusual day for a new release.  I wish IGN had said more about the bugs, who knows how severe or frequent they are.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 11:52:13 PM »

The rules change near christmas ... just look at MechAssault 2. Dec28 release? yikes...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 11:54:25 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I'm mostly concerned about the comments I read at IGN about the game being buggier than the original KOTOR.  Having to worry about keeping a backlog of old save games just in case of a broken quest trigger or an inexplicable loss of stats really kills the fun of a game for me.

Well, there's one good thing about having to wait for the PC version smile

My smile still stays on.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 04:44:04 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
The rules change near christmas ... just look at MechAssault 2. Dec28 release? yikes...

Yeah.  The strange thing is that MA2's release date doesn't appear to be due to rushing it out or slippage.  Or so a little birdy tells me.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 05:10:25 AM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
Quote from: "Purge"

Yeah.  The strange thing is that MA2's release date doesn't appear to be due to rushing it out or slippage.  Or so a little birdy tells me.

I initially didn't care too much about MA2 coming out, but as soon as I heard about all of the Live modes they have for the game I became instantly enthralled.

I'm psyched for the Live portion of that game.

Eek, um.. sorry for the derailing. I'll be on my way now slywink

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 02:07:43 PM »

Is this game actually in stores today or just shipping today?  Assuming its the latter I think I will try and exercise incredible self restraint and wait to pick it up at Target later in the week- they are offering the strategy guide for free with purchase.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 02:30:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Is this game actually in stores today or just shipping today?

Both.  I think a lot of EBGames and Gamestops will drive to the airport to pick up their shipments since it is such a high level interest game instead of waiting until tomorrow.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Is this game actually in stores today or just shipping today?

Both.  I think a lot of EBGames and Gamestops will drive to the airport to pick up their shipments since it is such a high level interest game instead of waiting until tomorrow.

I'll call then but my local area stores don't usually go to that much effort.  Plus I haven't preordered so, even if they do get the game early, I'll probably just get the "you didn't preorder?  Wait for tomorrow" sneer.  Actually, my local stores have pretty good clerks so maybe that won't be the case.

*If* I can get the game tonight I'll go ahead but if not I'll probably wait until Wednesday for Target.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 06:40:01 PM »

I called around and no EBs in the L.A. area have it today.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 07:09:26 PM »

I'm going to wait for the PC version.  After seeing how much nicer the first looked on the PC I can justify the wait.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 09:07:18 PM »

Hey and Thin no worries about the MA2 posts this is a game I'm incredibly stoked for too - if you or anyone else wants feel free to start jabberin about that game in here too!  And thanks for the heads up I had no clue it was comin out at the end of the month *drool*  See you guys on live???
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 09:19:26 PM »

When does the embargo end on reviews?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 09:40:21 PM »

Most of my local stores are telling me they will have it in tonight after six.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 10:12:59 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
When does the embargo end on reviews?

Well, IGN's review was up on Friday...9.3

Don't know about the others, I would guess Gamespot would have their review up today or something.

UPDATE: Yep, Gamespot should have its review up today via this news item.  It's the last sentence.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 12:13:46 AM »

Just got home with a copy from Gamestop.  I'll have some impressions in a few hours.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 12:21:47 AM »

Gamespot Review: 8.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/review.html

6 for graphics?  Ouch.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »

I have this one pre-ordered and will be getting it regardless. The latest review has helped to alleviate my fears about the bugginess of the game somewhat.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 02:45:39 AM »

I'm waiting for the PC version in Feb.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 03:30:49 AM »

Eh, they gave the first one a seven for graphics.  It's a year later and the graphics don't look any better.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 03:31:21 AM »

Okay after a couple of hours:

Pretty mixed.

People complained about a slow opening to the original and its just as bad here.  The tutorial section is worse than the first game- at least in KOTOR the tutorial took place on board a battle cruiser as it spiraled out of control in the middle of a space battle while you waged against Sith Troopers onboard.  In KOTOR II you get the fun of controlling T3 as he repairs some damage onboard the Ebon Hawk from a battle that occured before the game even started.  To be fair though there is some neat lighting and scenery during this section.

The first "world", a mining colony, is very, very mundane visually.  The KOTOR engine may not be the most advanced in the world but I thought Bioware's world design put it to very good use in the first game.  Hopefully things change on future worlds because this first area is very uninspired.

Gameplay, so far, is pretty much unchanged.  From reviews and previews it sounds like the interactions with the party will really come to to the forefront but I haven't got to that stage yet.  

Framerate alone may be reason to wait for the PC version.  In general its fine but there have already been a few areas where it drops into the single digits during non-combat scenes!

Music is very nice- Jeremy Soule returns and his score gives a nice sense of ominous mystery.  

Writing and voice acting are well done so far though.

There has been a few glitches in the audio- it has cut out too early a few times which can be a pain if you don't have subtitles enabled.  

Hopefully it picks up.  I wouldn't say its worse than the original but I think I was willing to give the first game more of a pass at the beginning because it seemed so unique.  Gamespot pretty much nailed it when they say the year and a half since KOTOR's release has not been kind to the technical aspects of the game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: