http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:55:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slugfest?  (Read 3847 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2004, 03:00:10 AM »

Anyone?

It's been getting good enough reviews and with Live support and a $10 EB rebate thing it might be worth it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:22:17 AM »

nah, Sosa is on the cover biggrin
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:22:59 PM »

I still might pick it up just because if Lockdown ever gets it we could play on Live and I get to punch him and throw fastballs at his head in the same game! biggrin  :wink:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 08:29:33 PM »

We have nothing from Midway yet, although I am hopeful it shows up.  Don't know who will review it though, we shall see.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 02:42:54 AM »

I might pick it up tomorrow.

AF - If you want, I can whip something up for you.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:34:09 AM »

Nah, there may still be a copy coming...certain companies can be very slow sometimes.  I have no problem with you giving a mini-review in this thread though biggrin

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 02:49:08 AM »

Bahh!! Got it and can't find a way to throw to bases using base specific buttons. Aim up to throw to second from center field!?!? What is this, 1996?

I can't play like this!!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 05:36:28 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Bahh!! Got it and can't find a way to throw to bases using base specific buttons. Aim up to throw to second from center field!?!? What is this, 1996?

I can't play like this!!

I actually like it that way because it's how I've always done it.  I guess I've never played a proper baseball game.  The last one I got a lot out of was High Heat 2002 on the PC (and did I ever get a ton out of that!).

I did buy MVP 2004 for the PC but it only allowed one player controlled team per dynasty so I traded it promptly.  Not to derail your thread any further, but does the Xbox version have the same limitation?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 01:36:39 PM »

Devil -

I noticed this basethrowing "mechanic" while playing the demo and it literally made me throw my controller.  That's how bad I think it is.

Give me your verdict after about a week, and if you think it's a "keeper" I will get it so we can kick the shit out of each other.  Should be fun.   smile

[...and if it stinks, you will save me some money, which would be a nice change of pace for me.]

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 02:13:52 PM »

Not a keeper, Ponch! I can't play throwing like that so I'm going to try and get EB to take it back. They should at least give you the option!!!

Other than that - It seems OK for the one game I played.

One funny thing was that the Angels batting helmets were all black and no logo until Salmon got hit in the leg and then they turned to normal. Thought that was kinda strange.

Stiffler, you might want to give it a shot!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »

Ahh! I was wrong (surprised?)!

You can throw to bases using the right analog stick!!! It's actually pretty cool!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 10:10:57 PM »

Have you tried the Live play yet?

Laggy?

Good?

Let me know if it's worth it.  

...and no, I am not surprised.  Look at my sig... it about sums it up.   biggrin

I am still giving you a week to make a final decision.  I know you too well my friend.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 04:19:38 PM »

No Live yet - Don't know anyone else who has it, but I heard it was pretty smooth.

Ponch - Yes, you are correct on my playing habits, but we gotta hook up for a game of anything if you can drag yourself away from CoH! biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 05:41:33 PM »

Warning: the following post is extremely off topic.

Funny you should say that.

Last week my computer blew up.  Nope, not figuratively... but flat out blew up!  My hard drive and motherboard, along with my RAM.... all toast.

Burnt toast.

I have therefore resorted to spending lots of quality time with the not-so-significant other, and I am beginning to go a bit stir-crazy.

My new computer will not even be shipped for another week, so if you want to hook up for either some Links or Tennis, or something we both kind of suck at, let me know a good night.

Too bad we can't play Spiderman co-op!   I am thinking of going and getting that one any day now.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 06:18:49 PM »

The horror of you having to leave your computer...you must be in misery slywink

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 07:00:16 PM »

Loren -

I'm thinking it was a blessing in disguise.  I was WAY too addicted to City of Heroes... and this has broken the chain, so to speak.

I am back to breathing fresh air again and speaking to people on the telephone, and eating, and going to the gym, and watching television on occasion even.   All those things I stopped doing b/c of CoH are now happening again!  (ok, so I am being a bit extreme, but seriously, it was getting rather ridiculous)

By the way... I am done with City of Heroes for good.  That type of "addiction" to any game is not something I really want to be known for.  (well, maybe ESPN 2k5, but that's where I draw the line)  :wink:

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »

I know we're going extremely off-topic (but we 3 seem to be the only ones that may care about Slugfest), but that's the reason I have never and probably will never buy and play an MMORPG.  It can suck away your life even though it can be an exciting thing to do.  Evercrack and now CoH seem to be the biggest culprits.  I expect WoW to also create the same kind of life sucking essense.

I find with console games I can easily turn it off and go about my business even when doing online stuff.  There's nothing that would suck me in online for hours and hours on consoles that I know of.  Crimson Skies had me there for a bit and I still enjoy it, but I wasn't playing it as a substitute to eating and spending time with my wife...heh.

It's sad that Paragon City has lost one of its finest though! slywink

What kind of computer are you getting btw and what kind (and how old) was the computer you had?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 07:55:16 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

What kind of computer are you getting btw and what kind (and how old) was the computer you had?

Without going into geeky detail, I am getting an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 1 gig dual channel DDR memory and an ATI 9800 pro video card.  One of those audigy 2 zs (or something like that) sound cards and the dvd, cd, etc.. etc..  blah blah blah.  It's going to be pretty nice I think.

My now blown up machine was an AMD XP 1800+ with an older ATI video card and an old first generation audigy sound card with 512mb of the cheapest RAM that existed I think.  

I have (and am keeping) a super nice Sony Trinitron Flat Screen 19" CRT that I am hoping will last me forever though.  I love that thing.

And I agree about MMORPG's.... I think my days with them are over for good.  If I had more willpower/discipline than a tree sloth, then maybe I could get into one again... but alas, I do not.

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »

I like this private topic with just the 3 of us in here!!  :wink:

I even tried the whole CoH thing and kinda got bored. Click, click, click, level up, click, click, click. I was getting frustrated and then fell behind all of you guys and don't have the heart to catch up! It was well done, but just proved to me that I'm not an MMORPG kinda guy.

I like my consoles games, like Mr.Fox said, I can play for an hour or so and the world around me hasn't changed when I get back to it. Except everyone has stuck with one game and can kick my ass in football!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 09:22:37 PM »

Ah yes.  But your Iggles are getting their Black Uniforms this year!!!!!!

You know putting those bad boys on will make you play better!

(oh, and from what i hear, your defense is ranked like 98 or some such nonsense).  

Which means, I will call a play with A.J., you can go grab a jelly donut and some coffee, take a bathroom break, play kissy with the wife, come back, and I will have still not moved the ball more than 3 yards!

I am REALLY looking forward to playing against you this year!   :roll:

Oh wait, you can always take your second team, I should stand a MUCH better chance against them!    :roll:

LD   :wink:

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 09:58:28 PM »

Black Unis!?!?! Out!! I'm gonna use the old school Randall/Jaws lime green with no black ones to run wild on your Fish.

98 for the Philly D!?!? With no corners, I find that tough to believe. I would not be surprised if my Iggles struggle gto make the playoffs this year. It's all on Little Randal's shoulders!

The Pats, on the other hand...

I CAN NOT WAIT to go to that opening night game to watch the second banner get put up and Manning to get put down again!!

How far off topic can one thread go? biggrin

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 10:30:29 PM »

we're watching you

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 10:51:14 PM »

Stiffler - You scared the crap out of me!! I didn't see you standing in the corner!

...Um, like I was saying. Slugfest is better than I thought it would be after I found out how to throw with the right stick.

For $30 (after the EB MIR) it's not bad. Another $10 drop and you're looking at a great alternative to the hardcore hardball of ESPN.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 10:57:55 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Stiffler - You scared the crap out of me!! I didn't see you standing in the corner!

:lol: They need a little x-files cigarette smoking man emoticon!

I do agree with your assessment of MMORPG's.  I just can't find the energy to devote to it.  I think I would become a powergamer of the worst sort, and that's not something I want to do.  Also, I have the forum for my community needs.

And stop trying to sell me a baseball game I don't need!  In a couple weeks NCAA will be out and this baseball fad will be forgotten.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 11:11:21 PM »

And stop trying to sell me a baseball game I don't need! In a couple weeks NCAA will be out and this baseball fad will be forgotten.

You should wait past the release of NCAA and into the price drop when it's playoff time in baseball. That's when you need it.

I'll be back to remind you! biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 12:23:03 AM »

Wait one second here.

Are you two trying to put this thread back ON topic!!!!

I think not!

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!    biggrin

LD

LD

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:41 AM »

The Cowboys had Quincy Carter starting at QB...  I really enjoyed watching him at UGA, but as a pro?

I am waiting for you to remind me, Devil!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: