http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:47:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow downloading from Steam?  (Read 533 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »

Yeah I know, you think Steam sucks. I don't care and neither do most others.

Now that the trolling is over, has anyone else been having slow downloads from Steam? When I originally got HL2 at launch it was pretty damn fast, but now with a reloading of HL2 it's slow as hell for me. Like 50KB/s average. Makes for a long download process to say the least.

I have tried deleting the .blob file to no avail. It updates the platform and then resumes the slow process. I can't get it at home as I am forced to use the public library and my laptop for net connectivity.

Any ideas as to how I can speed it up? I was thinking about getting Ep1 from it originally as I did with HL2, but not anymore.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:47:02 AM »

I like steam...recently had to reinstall, and with Steam, I didn't need to find the CD/DVDs smile

+1!

As for speed...I didn't have any problem installing Red Orchestra for the free trial this past weekend.  Are you sure its steam and not your network connection?  I'll delete a game when I get home, and see how fast it will take to download (I wont be home for a couple more hours though).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:54:18 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Yeah I know, you think Steam sucks. I don't care and neither do most others.

Now that the trolling is over, has anyone else been having slow downloads from Steam? When I originally got HL2 at launch it was pretty damn fast, but now with a reloading of HL2 it's slow as hell for me. Like 50KB/s average. Makes for a long download process to say the least.

I have tried deleting the .blob file to no avail. It updates the platform and then resumes the slow process. I can't get it at home as I am forced to use the public library and my laptop for net connectivity.

Any ideas as to how I can speed it up? I was thinking about getting Ep1 from it originally as I did with HL2, but not anymore.

Make sure you've got your port forwarding all set correctly.  That can make a huge difference in speed.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »

Sorry bad day at work...just got back home...

I deleted one of my Steam games (local content) and reinstalling it now...and  am getting from 710KB/s to 852KB/s.  So, I don't think its Steam, at least for me.  Can you go to some bandwidth testing place?  maybe it is the network you are connected to (eg. library)?  or what KS said, port forwarding, but I don't think that will get you that much of a speed increase.  Another thought is find a friend or somewhere you can hang for an hour while your laptop is plugged in and downloading it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: