http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:55:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Dogs Review is up!  (Read 5689 times)
Tokek
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 02:56:23 AM »

I finished the main story line last night and enjoyed the game very much. Now comes the free-play sessions.

The fights gets easier once you've unlocked the 100% health increase (collect all the shrines) and got all the melee moves (collect all statues). I usually focus on the grapplers first since they can't counter and once they grab you, it's a pretty big hit. Once the grapplers are down, the fights get easier.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:51 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 22, 2012, 02:06:03 AM

I've taken up running their asses over instead.  much more rewarding than going back to attempt the same 18 fights again. 

I have one left currently, Sun Yat Sun Housing Complex in Kennedy, where it is an above ground gun fight but using a car isn't quite an option.  it wouldn't be so bad if not for another factor, but I'll let that be a surprise  icon_twisted

The karaoke is interesting, wasn't quite expecting that.  I just tried the Triad DLC 'Thousand Cuts' challenge and was kind of disappointed at the amount of Triad XP given vs the time spent.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »

Yeah, I tried both the Thousand Cuts and the highway challenge, and in both cases I ended up just giving up so the stupid thing would end since I was so bored of doing the same thing over and over and over and over...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »

demo for this has just appeared on XBL,gonna download later

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

Im glad i turned people on to the "ill bring a car to a knife fight" philosophy... nod
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 22, 2012, 06:50:44 PM

demo for this has just appeared on XBL,gonna download later

It's out on steam too for the PC people.  Plays pretty nice on my current machine (Q6600, HD4850) on medium at 1080p.  It is now added to my wishlist for possible purchasing.

The one thing that bugs me is the camera rubber bands back to behind your character automatically.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 05:51:19 AM »

I'll chime in as one of the people who is simply not enjoying the game yet. I'm having some difficulty with the melee combat, and the checkpoints are horrendous. There is nothing worse than fighting through 3 waves of enemies, getting killed by the last one or two of them, and being sent a significant way back. Plus, any power-ups you bought are lost when you replay the checkpoint. So if you had increased attack and decreased damage power-ups, they are gone when you need to reload a checkpoint. NOT cool.

I've also not seen any really interesting characters or character development yet. I've only played the first few cop missions, and up to Club Bam-Bam. But nothing really stands out.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »

playing the game in Bruce Lee's Game Of Death outfit makes me want this so,so much more!!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 25, 2012, 05:51:19 AM

I'll chime in as one of the people who is simply not enjoying the game yet. I'm having some difficulty with the melee combat, and the checkpoints are horrendous. There is nothing worse than fighting through 3 waves of enemies, getting killed by the last one or two of them, and being sent a significant way back. Plus, any power-ups you bought are lost when you replay the checkpoint. So if you had increased attack and decreased damage power-ups, they are gone when you need to reload a checkpoint. NOT cool.

I've also not seen any really interesting characters or character development yet. I've only played the first few cop missions, and up to Club Bam-Bam. But nothing really stands out.

I agree with your first comment, but not the second.  The character development is on par with this type of sandbox game.  It's one of the reasons I keep playing it.

I like it despite my frustration with the combat.  I'm at the same spot you are, BTW.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 25, 2012, 01:15:05 PM

I agree with your first comment, but not the second.  The character development is on par with this type of sandbox game.  It's one of the reasons I keep playing it.

I like it despite my frustration with the combat.  I'm at the same spot you are, BTW.

I agree that the development is about on par with other games. I was anticipating something a little more colorful, similar to the characters in GTA Chinatown. I guess it would be more correct to say that the dialogue is rather bland, and that diminishes my interest in the characters. I'll give it a few more missions and see if the combat clicks.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

I just got back from vacation and have been playing a bit again, collecting all the health shrines before I jump back into the missions. This is leading me all around the city and I have to give kudos to the developers, it's absolutely fascinating. The visuals are great, the layout, the buildings, the objects, all of it. And even the ambient sounds. Get out of the car and just walk. You hear birds, people talking, random radio stations, all sorts of stuff. Marvelous. Shame I so suck at martial arts  icon_frown

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »

I've been busy visiting shrines and collecting statues as well; I got the perks that make them show up on the minimap so it is fairly easy, although some statues show up in areas I cannot figure a way to get to yet; I guess they'll unlock with story missions, but there is one that shows up on the highway in Central that I cannot find at all.  my only guess is that there is an underground room there that is a story mission.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »

so is the melee combat in the full game different than the demo?,because the melee combat in the demo was Batman AA/AC type combat...fight and then when the guy turns red just press counter and then carry on fighting

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2012, 04:38:11 PM

I've been busy visiting shrines and collecting statues as well; I got the perks that make them show up on the minimap so it is fairly easy, although some statues show up in areas I cannot figure a way to get to yet; I guess they'll unlock with story missions, but there is one that shows up on the highway in Central that I cannot find at all.  my only guess is that there is an underground room there that is a story mission.

The ones under the highway near the ocean would be the sewers, you can get to it from the ocean. They are in a room with a camera too so you can do those both at the same time. Take a speed boat or swim to get to them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 25, 2012, 05:18:18 PM

so is the melee combat in the full game different than the demo?,because the melee combat in the demo was Batman AA/AC type combat...fight and then when the guy turns red just press counter and then carry on fighting

Nope, that's basically how the combat is in the full game as well other than all the unlockable combo moves, guys who can't be grappled, etc.  Pretty similar to Batman, which is refreshing for an open world game of this type.

I had a hard time with the combat to start with, specifically the timing of the counter moves for some reason, but after a while it all started to click and I felt like a real Bruce Lee ass kicking mofo.   icon_biggrin  It also helps once you start unlocking a bunch of the other combos, so you can mix up when you do the heavy hits, sweeping attacks that hit multiple enemies and such.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »

I myself am stuck at the Club Bam Bam mission. I can't get past it icon_frown. And there are no unlocked police missions left to attempt, so I'll play around with the game some more but then it's back to the store for a trade-in tear.

On a happier note, I did lay my hands on a sub-machine gun and for a while I was raising hell and grabbing lock boxes like nobody's business nod... till I ran out of ammo crybaby

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

I played for a few more hrs last night. Making some progress and still digging it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 25, 2012, 06:06:01 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 25, 2012, 05:18:18 PM

Nope, that's basically how the combat is in the full game as well other than all the unlockable combo moves, guys who can't be grappled, etc.  Pretty similar to Batman, which is refreshing for an open world game of this type.

I had a hard time with the combat to start with, specifically the timing of the counter moves for some reason, but after a while it all started to click and I felt like a real Bruce Lee ass kicking mofo.   icon_biggrin  It also helps once you start unlocking a bunch of the other combos, so you can mix up when you do the heavy hits, sweeping attacks that hit multiple enemies and such.

The timing seems a little more unforgiving than Batman, which is one of my issues.  And I have had a lousy checkpoint or two, as well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 25, 2012, 06:30:18 PM

I myself am stuck at the Club Bam Bam mission. I can't get past it icon_frown. And there are no unlocked police missions left to attempt, so I'll play around with the game some more but then it's back to the store for a trade-in tear.

On a happier note, I did lay my hands on a sub-machine gun and for a while I was raising hell and grabbing lock boxes like nobody's business nod... till I ran out of ammo crybaby

I had the exact same problem, and the checkpoints on that mission suck! I finally got through it by:

1. Getting power ups from vendors for increased protection, life bar regeneration, and increased "heat" meter. (can't remember what they call it in the game)
2. immediately after the bouncers quick time event, just jump over the railing down to the first floor. you can avoid fighting them altogether.
3. Disarm the guy with the knife and use it.
4. Wait for your health bar to regenerate before entering the bathroom. That grappler can do massive damage.

I'm really not liking the combat as much as Batman, as it seems to be ALOT less forgiving during quick-time events. For example, I keep hitting "B" but the grappler still hits me for big damage. combos also seem harder to pull off.

If the fights in later parts of the game have more stages and enemies than club Bam-Bam, I may call it a day. That sequence had about 30 guys to take out. right now I'm trying to increase my health via shrines.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2012, 04:04:43 AM »

I don't remember what mission was called club bam bam... The two story nightclub?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2012, 04:08:56 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 26, 2012, 04:04:43 AM

I don't remember what mission was called club bam bam... The two story nightclub?

Yup, that's the one. I tried it again but still I'm just failing to get through, and that's making it even more frustrating. So I drove GTA style all over Hong Kong and showed them there's no better kung fu attack than a car bumper at the kneecaps.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2012, 05:04:48 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on August 25, 2012, 05:31:06 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2012, 04:38:11 PM

The ones under the highway near the ocean would be the sewers, you can get to it from the ocean. They are in a room with a camera too so you can do those both at the same time. Take a speed boat or swim to get to them.

turns out the statue icon appearing there is a glitch.  I found out that if you hit Q on the map screen it will show all the collectibles that have been revealed, and I only have 3 left, none of which are anywhere near the highway location.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »

I finished this up last night.  all triad and police cases, about half of the races completed, all of the health and cameras found and over half of the lockboxes opened.  overall, the story went through a natural progression for these kinds of games and wrapped up most of the major points.  the last mission was a mix of fun gunfights and some enjoyable melee boss fights.  the end boss fight was kind of dull though, but the end was pretty satisfying.  I felt the onset of burnout and went through the last few triad missions and used the cabs whenever I could so I wouldn't quit and move on to the next game. 

Things I liked:  I liked the focus on melee combat and especially the progression of skills along the different lines.  going from a basic but capable fighter to the bad ass at the end was a lot more rewarding than the GTA style of better guns and cars.  the gunfights were pretty enjoyable and seeing enemies reel under the gunfire was a nice touch. the slow motion was cool and very fun to use. 

I loved the environment and the little details they added in.  the way the rain slicked up the roads and watching people walk around around with umbrellas or newspapers held over their heads.  the randomness of a purse snatcher and that you were rewarded for chasing them down and returning it.  I liked the way the ambulance would rush up to an accident and how the responders would react when the person died. 

Things I wasn't fond of: the counter timer was wonky at times.  having a missed counter result in damage/death is frustrating when you felt you hit the button at the right moment.  same thing with the qtes using different keys than X when 99% of the time that's what you are using.  there was one particular fight where a missed button would knock off about 2/3rds of a bar.  Losing your buffs when you reloaded a checkpoint.  this was was a huge F-up on their part and needs to be patched up.  it makes the later missions much harder as you either choose between greatly reduced capabilities or have to quit and restart the whole thing (and the buffs themselves.)  Losing a 4-5 star wanted level is damn near impossible in a regular vehicle.  I guess this is the game's lethality showing up again, but I felt very outclassed when in this situation.  Unless I was lucky enough to find a jump from an overpass, the cops would just keep coming and no amount of ramming them off the road would get me far enough away before they caught up or more came in.  the steering isn't all that precise.  this could just be my experience, but it always felf like I was turning digitally, even with a gamepad.  I adjusted eventually, but it really jars you when you start out.  the gun related upgrades for the police line seem under used due to how infrequent the gunfights are. 

in the end, the positives outweigh the negatives and I can recommend the game to anyone who likes the sandbox genre.  the game is neither too short nor too long (hello GTA IV) and refines/adds to the staples of the open-world game in a way that makes it feel new and certainly enjoyable.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 26, 2012, 04:08:56 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 26, 2012, 04:04:43 AM

Yup, that's the one. I tried it again but still I'm just failing to get through, and that's making it even more frustrating. So I drove GTA style all over Hong Kong and showed them there's no better kung fu attack than a car bumper at the kneecaps.

I suck at games and I didn't have TOO much trouble with that section. Well, I died maybe 10 times. So yeah it was hard;).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2012, 06:32:47 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 25, 2012, 01:42:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 25, 2012, 01:15:05 PM

I agree that the development is about on par with other games. I was anticipating something a little more colorful, similar to the characters in GTA Chinatown. I guess it would be more correct to say that the dialogue is rather bland, and that diminishes my interest in the characters. I'll give it a few more missions and see if the combat clicks.

I was feeling the same way about character development up until around the wedding, then I started feeling bad knowing what was coming for some of the characters.

Spoiler for Wedding Spoilers:
after the wedding I'm pissed and looking forward to laying the smackdown.

never played GTA Chinatown so I really can't compare it.

oh, and I just caught a commercial on the radio for Panau Tours.  LOL'd quite nicely at it.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2012, 02:43:04 AM »

Yeah after the wedding... I'm fired up!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »

you know you've been playing too much Sleeping Dogs when you look at something blocking your way and think 'do I see a slide icon there?'  icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

new patch:

Sleeping Dogs – Patch 1.5 Release Notes

Stability
•   Improved CPU timing to reduce issues where the game plays too quickly
•   Various fixes to improve stability and minimize crashes during gameplay
•   Fixed an issue with the Bink video player which may improve stability during in-game videos such as the title screens

Controls & Camera
•   New option added! Aim Soft Lock: Lets the player enable or disable aiming assistance from the game
•   New option added! Mouse Free Look: Enables/disables camera auto-centering behind the player when using the mouse and on foot
•   New option added! Mouse Raw Input: When enabled, input is sampled directly from the mouse which improves responsiveness and accuracy on supported mice
•   New option added! Mouse Sensitivity: A modifier that determines how much speed is recorded from mouse movement
•   Mouse camera logic has been reworked for improved precision (independent of the raw mouse input option)
•   The Action Hijack binding is now independent of the Sprint/Parkour key value
•   While driving players can now use the mouse to look up and down
•   While driving the camera no longer immediately auto-centers when you stop moving the mouse
•   The high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced
•   Mouse sensitivity no longer differs when Wei is and isn’t carrying a gun

UI
•   Front End screens now support a button help bar that is fully interactive via mouse
•   Users are now able to exit screens by pressing the Back button
•   Corrected all issues when exiting a screen using the Backspace and Esc keys
•   It’s now possible to switch sections by clicking on the corresponding icons or tab headers
•   The mouse wheel will scroll through all relevant lists in the user interface
•   Mouse hit regions have been fine-tuned throughout the front end to improve user experience

Fuck.Yes.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »

Nice PC support, guys!   thumbsup

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »

so... ummm... I'll be damned if I can tell the difference between the different mouse settings, and unfortunately still no option to remove the mouse steering while on foot.  the 'high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced' is very nice though.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »

OK, I'm calling BS on the 'Meet the New Boss' mission.  right at the beginning, when that guy is using the whore for a human shield, my aiming reticule is no where on her yet she always gets shot by Wei and I lose a full shield of police XP.  is it scripted that way, or am I just getting crappier bullet spread from an already crappy aiming system?

[edit] said fuck it and took the hit.  I swear, Wei must have taken target practice with NYPD cops.

one other thing I've noticed is that the amount of XP you get for missions sometimes doesn't make sense.  for example, this mission involved a big shootout, a car chase and a hand to hand fight but I barely got any while other more simple missions gave me much more with about the same amount of shields.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:47:43 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2012, 04:22:37 AM »

no, your aim must be off.  I saved her in that mission. 

yes, the xp is definitely wonky though.  I think I had enough police xp to level up two or three more times but didn't cap off the triad line.  I recommend getting the +15% set as soon as you can.  also, I think I was max Face about 2/3rds the way through the game.  The races really help that stat

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2012, 04:38:11 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 31, 2012, 04:22:37 AM

the funny thing is the reticule changes from green to red depending on if they are innocent or enemies, and it was always red.  I even started aiming to where I'd most likely miss them both and still got her.

yes, the xp is definitely wonky though.  I think I had enough police xp to level up two or three more times but didn't cap off the triad line.  I recommend getting the +15% set as soon as you can.  also, I think I was max Face about 2/3rds the way through the game.  The races really help that stat

just did the first serial killer cop mission, which involves not much other than walking around and checking some bodies, and got enough police XP to cap off level 8 and get about 1/4 of level 9 done.  biggest gain I've seen and it was a do nothing mission  icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2012, 05:42:23 AM

I have to wonder how many law enforcement points I'm going to lose on missions involving car chases.  for example, in the counterfeit watch one I made it all the way there no problem, but they rapidly dwindled once I needed to chase down the other van.  I think I had .25 out of 3 shields left once it was all over and done with  icon_lol

and oddly enough I maxed out the Police XP before the Triad one.  it's nice not having to worry about not letting things like civilian deaths get in the way of the mission biggrin

I've only got a few missions left, and since all the important collectables are out of the way I figure I'll be down with the game soon.  There was one mission (the one with the American celebrity) that felt like a setup for a sequel, but since I haven't seen how the game ends I might be wrong.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:10 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 31, 2012, 04:22:37 AM

Same here. You're aiming is off!;) It took me MANY tries though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »

and finished.  pretty fun game, but technical shortcomings knock it down to a solid B+: dodgy camera, way to easy minigames that were put in just to pad playtime, poorly placed QTE's that didn't seem to pop up all the time, and if I ever hear Queen's 'Dragon Attack' again it'll be too soon.....

as for a sequel:

Spoiler for Hiden:
if they continue with Wei I can see it being about him going after that rapper Caine's crew.  of course it all depends on how widely his cover was blown.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »

Thanks to Ron for the contest giveaway!  Into the backlog it goes! 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »

Mixed emotions. Loved alot of it. So so on other aspects. Overall, I agree a solid b+/ 85%. It certainly set it self up for a next gen franchise.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2012, 03:56:46 AM »

I put a little time in with it this evening.  It strikes me as a decent entry into the open world genre, but it's not quite as polished from a control standpoint.  It sure does look pretty, though.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »

DLC on it's way next month

Square Enix has detailed a collection of new Sleeping Dogs DLC planned for release throughout October.

The latest add-ons include street racing in the Street Racer Pack, 20 new cop missions in the SWAT Pack, the game's "most powerful weapon and armour" in the Tactical Soldier Pack and a free "surprise Community Gift Pack" by the team at United Front Games.

The developer's also planning to unveil Sleeping Dog's first story-driven extension at the New York Comic Con on October 14. Specific release dates and prices will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: