http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: skate.  (Read 2535 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2007, 03:26:36 AM »

So the other thing that happened on the 360 today was the release of the Skate demo.

It looks nice, although the rag doll tumbles that happen upon getting near anything really saps the realism out of it.  I can't wait for the reactive falling that Lucasarts is putting together to make it into other games.

Overall, it is what it says it is.  A more bare-bones skateboarding game than Tony Hawk.  More realistic.  I wouldn't call it a sim, though.  None the less, the controls are very different.  I don't know why EA insists on this dual-stick gameplay for their sports games.  On this one, it's especially annoying because you use the A or X button to push with either foot.  Then you have to switch to the right stick to do anything else that involves jumping or doing a manual.  In tight quarters its irritating.  Really, you have to know what you're going to pull off well in advance so you can build up enough speed to do it.  Which I suppose is like real skating.  But it doesn't allow for a lot of on-the-fly stuff.  Timing is a key issue in this game.  Also, manuals are tough to pull off.  Basically, you have to find a sweet spot in the right stick (maybe three quarters of the way pulled back).  At first, I thought it was going to be like pulling moves in the Amped series, but it isn't.  For a move that is such a building block to trick linking, they sure made it challenging.  Maybe it'll be second nature after a while.  Actually, that seems to be the driving force of all the moves.  Eventually, you may get a "feel" for it, which will make it like real skating.  There is a certain elegance to the controls, even if they are a little awkward (the A/X buttons and the right stick both being used frequently, for example).  If you're coming off of years of TH, though, it may be asking to much to retrain yourself to such a degree.

A couple of other irritations.  Grinding should be a little more forgiving.  It is so easy to fall while trying to grind it's not funny.  This gets supremely annoying in the camera challenges, which require you to grind in the demo, but won't allow you to get up and keep trying.  If you fall, you have to start over.  Holy crap, does that get old fast.

Bottom line for me is that unless reviews for the new TH game are awful, I'll probably stick with that series.  I may get Skate down the road.  It's not bad, just a little too different for me right now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42:09 AM »

While I can give credit to EA for trying to go a diffrent route with Skate this sounds like the Amped vs SSX duel on last gen systems in which I believe Amped ended up going more "arcadey" itself in the end. I just think more will want to be able to pull off the crazy stunts of Tony Hawk vs the more sim play of Skate.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:49:55 AM »

I really wanted to give this demo a try, but I guess I'll be waiting a few weeks for my 360 to come back.  Unfortunately it doesn't sound like I will be missing too much anyway.  I was hoping this would be a fluid, intuitive rebirth of skating, instead of another overly complicated, nonresponsive crap that I suspected all along.  So sad.

Speaking of Amped, I did like the direction they went with Amped 2, where a slow, slylish grab could get you as many points as button mashing a bunch.  I was never all that good at it, but I was hoping Amped 3 would take that to the next level.  That demo sorely disappointed me, too. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »

I normally like the Tony Hawk, skating, SSX, Amped, etc. type games, but i was really suspect about the controls for this one.   Who wants a more "realistic" skating game where the controls are too frustrating to learn?  I just can't imagine this will go over well with the more casual skating gamer.

I read an interesting article a couple weeks back comparing Skate to the new TH game and from what i remember, the TH game was better received.  If Skate's controls are as complicated as what is being reported, i'll take a pass.  I play my games for fun, not frustration.

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »

I don't mind it being hard to pull off tricks. Actually I wish TH was a little more difficult, it's too easy after playing the "same" game for 8(?)years smile

From PTH.com:
"The SKATE demo did amaze and impress me. Even though I've been a big fan of the Hawk games right up to the point where I get a job over it, I don't have any allegiance or bias towards one game over another. I like realism in my games and I think that's what video games are all about...simulation. I think SKATE does skateboarding simulation very well. The best so far without a doubt. Although the game hasn't even dropped yet if this demo is anything to go by then the world has yet to see a more true to life skating game. But of course we have yet to see THPG. Could that be the game to challenge SKATE when it lands? We can only hope so because as of this moment...Tony Hawk's Proving Ground does have a lot to prove."

that's saying a lot from a guy who runs a TH site smile
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:45:59 PM »

I've never ever played any skating game before...yet after so much talk about this title (including winning sports game of E3 this year on a few sites) I decided to download the demo and give it a whirl.

It's actually quite fun. I like the dual stick use as I feel I have good control over my body with the left and my board with the right. The basic board tricks and the motion to make it happen seem to correspond to each other in a semi-realistic fashion.

Anyways...might actually grab my first skating game next month. smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »

I wouldn't call the controls complicated.  They use two buttons, two sticks and the triggers.  You pull back on the right and Flickit TM C All Rights Reserved up to Ollie or go up then down for the Nollie.  Going to the right or left after pulling back gives you some kick flips.  Going in an arc after pulling back does something too.  The triggers add grabs.  It's just that after years of TH, it's like retraining yourself to ride a bike in a different way than you're used to.  And I'm not sure if the end result warrants all the retraining.

I think that's what video games are all about...simulation.
  I don't feel like that at all.  I think video games are all about having fun.  Simulation can be part of that, sure.  But I worry that, even though it's growing very stale, the TH series is more fun.

I do think the push buttons being near the right stick are a big hinderance, but I guess it's still part of the realism, since you stop pushing off to do a jump.  It all involves the feet.

I wish manuals felt as cool as sweet spot trick making in Amped 2, but it doesn't at all.  I think that's a big problem, too.

But I don't mean to say the game is a mess or overly complicated.  For someone who's never played a skateboarding game, it may be perfect.  The problems in the two lines above this one will have me very interested in Skate 2, and I'll probably get Skate at some point, but I'm just not sure about it.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »

I hate hate HATE the camera angle in the demo.  Hopefully there will be more than one in the final game.  Also, I think a button should still be used for ollie and the stick for everything else.  Tricks feel rewarding but it was hard as hell for me to try and unlearn my Tony Hawk habits.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:02:59 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 22, 2007, 04:52:07 PM

I hate hate HATE the camera angle in the demo.  Hopefully there will be more than one in the final game.  Also, I think a button should still be used for ollie and the stick for everything else.  Tricks feel rewarding but it was hard as hell for me to try and unlearn my Tony Hawk habits.

I Cosign...However I did not find the camera difficult to work with.

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PlayStation: Spinks      ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »

Alrighty then.....after playing the hell out of the demo, I went and pre-ordered a friggin' skating game.  saywhat

I found a pdf on another forum listing a ton of moves to try that I'll hunt down in a bit later and share. There are so many possible tricks that I just can't wait to get into the open city and just go crazy with it.

For now, I'll just share my latest Skate Reel.  nod

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »

OK, found the Trick List.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »

I have to say, that faceplant in your video looked kind of lame.  I've seen more violent landings from somebody laying down on a couch. 

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »

icon_lol

Aye...my only real beefs with the game is that the landings are too forgiving and that the bails don't look 'rough' enough.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 01:10:15 AM »

OK...have it, and have been playing a career for hours now.

Quick impression :

I really am enjoying it due to it's laid back nature. You can just skate the city, which is fairly large with nooks and crannies to explore everywhere...or take on the many different challenges to progress yourself as a 'pro' skater.

Let me say though...the challenges are tough! Far beyond the ones in the demo. For those who did play the demo, it's cleaned up a bit graphically...but other than that, no great changes. Same tricks, but the city itself presents a whole new way to look at how you want to skate and the career is fairly slick. As I said, it friggin' hard, yet you can just go at your own pace and not feel pressured.

Anyways...if anyone has specific questions, just ask away.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »

Best. Skate reel.  Ever.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on September 16, 2007, 03:48:06 PM

Haha, that is nice.  He even tweaked it right into her face. 

Since you just resurrected this thread I might as well give my impressions  of the demo now that I've been able to try it. 

Overall I was impressed and enjoyed it.  It took a little bit to get the hang of the FlickIt controls, but not too long.  I did find myself having a bit of wiggle-fever trying to do some moves.  I wish these games had an optional slo-mo bullet time that would engage as soon as you ollie.  My brain just doesn't handle trying to do all those goofy movements in such a short amount of time. 

I would prefer to have the push-off buttons be RB and LB so that I could keep my thumbs on the sticks, but I guess that doesn't go with their theme of one finger for each are of the body type thing.  Maybe you can remap them in the full game, but I doubt it.  Stupid EA, it would be easier to change it to that way (Tony Hawk does it). 

I can't do manuals for shit, and after trying for a while I don't think I would want to have to rely on those to pass challenges.  Not fun.  Fail.

I kind of liked the low camera, but if they don't have an option for another one, then they are dumb.  I think the overall theme here is that you should let the players play the game how they want and not force all of your ideas on them. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 01:57:24 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 16, 2007, 04:09:57 PM

Overall I was impressed and enjoyed it.  It took a little bit to get the hang of the FlickIt controls, but not too long.  I did find myself having a bit of wiggle-fever trying to do some moves.  I wish these games had an optional slo-mo bullet time that would engage as soon as you ollie.  My brain just doesn't handle trying to do all those goofy movements in such a short amount of time. 

The last Tony Hawk game did exactly that.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 03:13:22 AM »

Yeah, but you have to engage it by clicking down on both sticks, and that is just freaking retarded, especially in a game where you are otherwise keeping your thumb on the buttons.  If it was easier or did it automatically when your "awesome guage" was filled, then I might like it. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 17, 2007, 03:13:22 AM

Yeah, but you have to engage it by clicking down on both sticks, and that is just freaking retarded, especially in a game where you are otherwise keeping your thumb on the buttons.  If it was easier or did it automatically when your "awesome guage" was filled, then I might like it. 

Clicking the sticks is a pain.  I will say, it seemed a little more manageable in the new TH demo, though.

Kratz
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 10:34:50 PM »

I thought the skate demo was terrific - it definitely took some practice, but like the control stick in NHL 07/08, I thought using the right stick for board control was genius - much more natural.  The skating IS the challenge, which is how I think sports games should be - getting around is easy, getting good takes finesse...

The full game just came today from gamefly.  I'm really looking forward to playing it.
Kratz
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »

I played the last two nights.

The game is awesome.  It's challenging as hell, but it's a much better representation of actual skateboarding than the Tony Hawk games could ever dream.  Once you get used to the controls it all feels much more natural, looks way more natural, and is really just a much more enjoyable experience for me.

The challenges are fun, and there is lots of stuff to do... picking your own spots for photoshoots is really cool...

Yeah. It's great.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »

My only wish at this point would be to switch the A+X buttons to the shoulders.  Picking up speed using the shoulder buttons would make the switch back to the right stick less awkward.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

For any one that's interested, it's on sale at Target this week for regular price but you get a $10 gift card with it.  It's certainly tempting me, but I think I will try to hold off since there are so many other games coming out in the next month or two.  

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 19, 2007, 04:53:14 PM

For any one that's interested, it's on sale at Target this week for regular price but you get a $10 gift card with it.  It's certainly tempting me, but I think I will try to hold off since there are so many other games coming out in the next month or two.  

Ahhhh... so tempting. I have been watching the videos online (the uploaded from game ones) and am really wanting this game. But Halo is the one game that my wife really wants to play with me so we will be playing a lot of that very soon. Do I dare pick it up also?  paranoid Will she notice?  ninja

LiveTAG: happydog
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »

I've been having a blast with this.

I just got to the point where I can do the little events to pick a first sponsor...I've done all but 3 of them I think. There's a couple that I just can't figure out how to do for the life of me. In one of them, you have to get 500 points in a single trick (I think) while on this book thingie. Anyone been able to do that?

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Kratz
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »

I got 800 points for a single trick on this big kinked handrail in one of the other events.
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »

That would be fine if there was a rail on this book. smile It seems to be all manual/kickflipping...and I can't even do some of the advanced kickflips.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »

Yeah...the book is giving me a hard time too. That one and the P-Rod one where you have to tre-flip onto a rail and off to the enbankment are friggin' killin' me.
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »

Is the P-Rod one the one where you have to do a specific kickflip? A Nollie 360 or something like that? I've looked at the trick book, but I can't seem to mimic the right stick movements needed to land that one. frown

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »

Aye.

I quit that challange, found a flat spot, and worked on that trick for a 1/2 hour till I could do it with some amount of frequency before going back over to P-Rod....only not to be able to do that flip again.  crybaby
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »

I'm thinking Activision is hard at work revamping TH...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 03:16:20 AM »

Does anyone know how to get into DIY park? I can see an arrow inside there but can't figure out how to get to it.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 04:34:47 PM »

After playing the demo on both the 360 and the PS3, I really like how different this game feels than Tony Hawk.  The problem is I already have a ton of games staring at me.  I will probably pick this up in a few months.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »

More quality reels:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/3507/posts/46135.aspx

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/12669/posts/96901.aspx

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/14717/posts/102093.aspx

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/12817/posts/100533.aspx

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »

Personally...I just don't like the controls.  They don't feel intuitive.  Maybe it's me, though.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »

Quote from: happydog on September 19, 2007, 11:39:12 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 19, 2007, 04:53:14 PM

Ahhhh... so tempting. I have been watching the videos online (the uploaded from game ones) and am really wanting this game. But Halo is the one game that my wife really wants to play with me so we will be playing a lot of that very soon. Do I dare pick it up also?  paranoid Will she notice?  ninja

Well I broke down and got it. Only got to play about 20 minutes so far.

LiveTAG: happydog
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2007, 05:14:11 PM

Personally...I just don't like the controls.  They don't feel intuitive.  Maybe it's me, though.

It's you. Feels great to me. Reminds me of Amped 1 & 2. I never got to be any good at Tony Hawk games, so I don't have that going against me.

Picked up the game over the weekend and loving it so for.. only 5 or 6 hours played so far I think, but I know more about skateboarding than I ever knew before. The game is pretty hard to me, but also forgiving of failure. I had a photo challenge where I needed hop onto a concrete slap, do a manual then gap to the street and I swear I tried that 50 or 60 times but at least I was able to keep making laps around trying rather than clicking through failure and retry prompts (though you do have to click a couple times for a video failure as it resets the start point each time).

Tough game, pretty game, lovin it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 12:35:42 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 24, 2007, 04:15:56 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2007, 05:14:11 PM

It's you. Feels great to me. Reminds me of Amped 1 & 2. I never got to be any good at Tony Hawk games, so I don't have that going against me.

Picked up the game over the weekend and loving it so for.. only 5 or 6 hours played so far I think, but I know more about skateboarding than I ever knew before. The game is pretty hard to me, but also forgiving of failure. I had a photo challenge where I needed hop onto a concrete slap, do a manual then gap to the street and I swear I tried that 50 or 60 times but at least I was able to keep making laps around trying rather than clicking through failure and retry prompts (though you do have to click a couple times for a video failure as it resets the start point each time).

Tough game, pretty game, lovin it.

I replayed that section a bunch, too.  Strangers kept walking into my path, which was very annoying.  I had a hard time circling around, so I did restart each time.

I have to say, the challenge level of this game will undoubtably be what eventually stops me from playing.  I've redone some challenges for more than an hour, and I know that's going to turn into diminishing returns.  At this point, though, I keep coming back to it.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 01:28:58 AM »

I LOVED the demo but not sure I could justify buying it at this point.

Keep the impressions coming!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: