http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:18:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Siren: Blood Curse  (Read 2825 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:34 AM »

I'm shocked no one is talking about this game!  It's fantastic.  I just finished chapter 3, and while the story gets off to a dijointed start, there's some creepy cool stuff going on.  The game is great at building tension, but the chapter format (with multiple missions in each chapter) really keeps things moving.  It's a good balance.  The game does seem like it'll be short, but it's at a discounted price, and I think it'll be worth it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16:51 AM »

I read the review at IGN and it sounded very good. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 otherwise, being the survival horror fan that I am, I'd be all over this.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:51:40 AM »

oh?? REally? I thought it looked like some crap just meant to fill up the PS-shop - thanks for the heads up, I'll give the first 3 chapters a go then :-)

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »

I played the demo and thought it was interesting enough, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up.  I will eventually get it, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 06, 2008, 11:10:32 AM

I played the demo and thought it was interesting enough, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up.  I will eventually get it, though.

same. interested in your impressions...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »

I picked it up, but haven't played it yet.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »

Picked it up and played through Episode 1.  Definitely was a little freakish and I kept dying over and over because I couldn't see where to go.  I was also surprised how short the episode was.  Hopefully they aren't all that short because even with 12 episodes, the game would be over quick.  Now that I know what to do in the first episode, I think it would take me about 5 minutes to get through it.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »

I've heard the episodes get longer as the game progresses.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »

IGN has a review of all the episodes up.  They said the first is basically a tutorial so it's purposefully short.  I grabbed the demo the other night but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

anyone hear anything about them possibly releasing the game on disc?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 12, 2008, 03:13:25 PM

They said the first is basically a tutorial so it's purposefully short. 

Then it's the worst tutorial ever, as they don't actually tell you how to do anything.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »

AFAIK, still not in the US, though Japan and Europe get disc releases. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

IGN has a review of all the episodes up.  They said the first is basically a tutorial so it's purposefully short.  I grabbed the demo the other night but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Is it a Marketplace download or something? 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

Nevermind, just discovered it is a downloadable PS3 game.  Shows how much I keep up with the online game stuff.  Not a big fan of taking up hard drive space and then not ever being able to clear it off and store the game.  Or can you?  note to check that out....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 12, 2008, 09:52:47 PM

Nevermind, just discovered it is a downloadable PS3 game.  Shows how much I keep up with the online game stuff.  Not a big fan of taking up hard drive space and then not ever being able to clear it off and store the game.  Or can you?  note to check that out....

You can delete the content and redownload it at a later time for free, if you wish.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »

If you can download it forever for free after buying it, then I might be in.  I like my horror games.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 10:22:02 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 12, 2008, 02:39:05 PM

Picked it up and played through Episode 1.  Definitely was a little freakish and I kept dying over and over because I couldn't see where to go.  I was also surprised how short the episode was.  Hopefully they aren't all that short because even with 12 episodes, the game would be over quick.  Now that I know what to do in the first episode, I think it would take me about 5 minutes to get through it.

Yeah, anxious to hear about overall length on this one. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

Once you've bought it, you should be able to re-download it any time you want to, so you don't even have to store it.  I think it also supports downloading as you go, so you can wait to download chapter 2 until you finish chapter 1, and then you can download it from in-game (or so I've heard, I haven't tried yet).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 10:37:13 PM »

You can also import the disc versions from Asia or Europe.  All versions have English dialog available and are completely region free.

However, the PSN limits you to 5 downloads of a game that you buy, so it's not unlimited as far as I know.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 11:09:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 12, 2008, 10:24:10 PM

Once you've bought it, you should be able to re-download it any time you want to, so you don't even have to store it.  I think it also supports downloading as you go, so you can wait to download chapter 2 until you finish chapter 1, and then you can download it from in-game (or so I've heard, I haven't tried yet).

It looks like you can erase anything except the first episode set.  And you can download any episode set you bought any time you want.

I'm through Chapter 4, and it gets better and better, IMO.  The graphics are too grainy and dark and the control is not ideal, but they somehow add to the gameplay.

I just played through a very creepy level:
Spoiler for Hiden:
A little girl is chased by a former friend into a broken down hospital and she has to get to the employee stairs, avoiding zombie nurses and ducking into a boiler at one point.  Reminded me of Silent Hill 2.  Good stuff.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:59 AM »

Saying the controls are iffy in a survival horror is like saying there's water at the beach.  Someday somebody's going to get it right, but there's an argument to be made that good controls would take away from the scaryness.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

from what i have seen elsewhere, the disc release is not likely to hit US shelves any time soon.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

I think I will wait.  The demo did not grab me liked I hoped it would.  Mostly the controls.  Maybe when it is $19.99ish.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »

Curious about the length from those who got it and beat it.  Or has anyone actually gotten through it?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »

Looks pretty cool and i will be buying it... Just havent really had the time yet.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 01:13:29 AM »

i've started it, & have just been playing it in chunks (appropriately enough). the whole 'serialization' aspect works really well. as has been mentioned, the game's a bit too dark, & i think the control problems i'm having all basically have to do with the camera being so goddamn close-in most of the time. may've been done for a claustrophobic effect, but it's awkward (& unnecessary, imo)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »

The episodic nature of the thing is great because I can just play an episode on a night I feel like it and then wait a week or so and play the next one.  I played episode 3 last night and had a good time.  It even had a moment that scared me because I wasn't expecting it.  Game is definitely weird, though, and I am intrigued by the story as I have no clue what is going on yet, except for the obvious that something has gone wrong in this village.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »

Don't mind episodes either, but I think going the hard copy route would end up being cheaper.  For $60 I can get it from playasia.com all english with english subtitles, region-free, and all that.  That's shipped to me.  I checked.  It is $55 plus about $5 for shipping to US.  Play it through a few times til sick of it and then EASILY sell it for $40 plus shipping.  I hear tons and tons of people in the forums dying to play it but won't pay for a download, so I KNOW they would quite willingly pay for a hard copy at the download price.  In the end I get to play it for $20 instead of $40. 

Sounds like the way to go to me.  For me anyway.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 04:35:07 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 24, 2008, 04:16:52 PM

Don't mind episodes either, but I think going the hard copy route would end up being cheaper...

no disagreement here - just saying that, in it's downloadable form, it actually works really well, & doesn't feel chopped-up at all...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 01:01:31 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 24, 2008, 04:35:07 PM

Quote from: mikeg on August 24, 2008, 04:16:52 PM

Don't mind episodes either, but I think going the hard copy route would end up being cheaper...

no disagreement here - just saying that, in it's downloadable form, it actually works really well, & doesn't feel chopped-up at all...

I have a feeling it is still episodic on disc.

The format works well, and I don't think it's made to be taken as a whole without the episodes.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »

I'll be having a full Gamingtrend review of this one up later this week. I'm just working on finishing up the last 2 chapters before I finish my review. I will go ahead and say that the camera in this game drove me insane. It's really frustrating when your character's freaking head is blocking your view and you can't see what is directly in front of you.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 25, 2008, 07:42:16 PM

I'll be having a full Gamingtrend review of this one up later this week. I'm just working on finishing up the last 2 chapters before I finish my review. I will go ahead and say that the camera in this game drove me insane. It's really frustrating when your character's freaking head is blocking your view and you can't see what is directly in front of you.

That's the exact reason why I have no interest in the game. Silent Hill Home Coming will be here soon enough. I can wait.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:51 AM »

This is $29.99 through tomorrow I think and then back to normal $39.99.  In case anyone interested.  Still waiting for a hard copy for $30 myself. 

Like this has a chance what with all the other games out right now....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »

I just played through the incredibly short demo. Not too bad.  It definitely gave me that horribly uncomfortable feeling that I got playing the original Silent Hill.  I'm pretty sure I can pick up a used Japanese version for only about $20 so I might give it a go.  I just want to head over to Gaijin Gamers and ask a few questions about how much English is in the game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: