http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 04:01:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire - Strategy Talk  (Read 8285 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »

So, seeing as our only post is actually a beta impressions thread, I figured I would get us going in another direction here.  What I would like to see is some good solid discussion on strategy, be it by race, or general.  I know I could use the help!

I have been playing the game off and on since Beta 2, but am not very good at it.  So here are the few things I do that I think is of sound strategy.

-From the get go build 2 scouts and set them to auto scout.

-Set the build order on extractors to first crystal then the 2 metal extractors.  Crystal at the start is slower to come in because of having 1 extractor compared to the 2 metal, and every little bit helps.

-People generally rush to get economic research done, but I would argue that culture research is just as important if not more.  Getting culture going early can be a big help from a defensive standpoint.  If an uncolonized planet is under the influence of your culture, it can not be colonized by anyone but you.  This helps prevent the enemy from establishing a base of operations too close to you.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »

Great idea, Arkon. 

I don't have much to offer by way of strategy, but I can list some good, "Did you know you can do this?" stuff, as I've been playing since beta1.  I'll work on that later today.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »

I like the novalith cannon.  Fired it once... no more planet. 

Will have to experiment with it more.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »

Is that the one that looks like the ship-gun from Elite Force?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »

I fired the Vaseri version of this gun twice last night and sadly missed the animation both times.  Evilekim and Kato however each saw it smack a planet they were raiding and ooohed and aaaahed making me wish I had seen it even more.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:51:02 AM »

So yeah.  I build and fire the novalith cannon once in a SP game.  Cool.  Then Kato apparently gets bored and builds like 8 of them while Hark, he, and I, are playing against the computer.

The nukes just rained down on the poor AI.

"BIG Badda BOOM!"

X 8.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 06:47:52 AM »

No deffense against the big guns cept to take them out before they fire?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 08, 2008, 06:47:52 AM

That seems pretty accurate.  What Kato did was evil.  We played a 1v1 right before Jarrod joined us for the 3v3.  In that 1v1 I just basically set up some border worlds that were heavily fortified to slow him down while I raced to the end of the weapon line and got the big cannons.  The border worlds keep him from getting to my guns before they can tag him from my backlines.  Sadly we quit the game before I completed my first gun, then he uses the strat in the very next game.  ninja  Good news was he confirmed that it was a sound idea slywink  Bad news is that it's a sound idea with very few ways to prevent other than an early rush which I despise.
Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »

There is another way smile
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »

Quote from: Blair Fraser on February 08, 2008, 09:34:49 AM

I think I found the counter to this, is it the fully researched planet shield?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

Not really, the gun doesn't affect ships as far as I know, maybe only ships and structures really close to the planet when it hits.

Also, it takes a lot of research and money just to get to that gun.  That means you've sacrificed everything else to get it that early, including a fleet of your own.  Thus, a moderately upgraded fleet could punch a straight line through to your cannon and take it out.  Keep in mind, that most planet defenses have limited range, he doesn't have to get within range of those laser turrets, and a fighter screen can let him bypass and hanger defenses.

Most of the games you've been playing have had you sitting back a lot, builing up larger fleets and after some time sending them out.
Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 08, 2008, 10:25:30 AM

Actually, yes - this one skipped my mind. A planetary shield is very effective against it but it wasn't the one I was thinking of...
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »

Quote from: Blair Fraser on February 08, 2008, 11:15:59 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 08, 2008, 10:25:30 AM

Actually, yes - this one skipped my mind. A planetary shield is very effective against it but it wasn't the one I was thinking of...

icon_confused Ah, now I need to play the game even more now to find out what it is.....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »

Does this game have Single player?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 08, 2008, 02:39:15 PM

Does this game have Single player?

Yes

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 07, 2008, 03:16:51 PM

Great idea, Arkon. 

I don't have much to offer by way of strategy, but I can list some good, "Did you know you can do this?" stuff, as I've been playing since beta1.  I'll work on that later today.

In my best Vizzini Voice...

*I'm Waiting!*
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »

Something I've noticed watching some replays:  The AI doesn't seem as "big" on fighters as human players are.  Human players tend to love their carriers (with good reason), while the AI tends to love big groups of frigates.  Don't forget to build the flak frigate equivalent of your race if you are seeing lots of fighter type squadrons in your games.  They are pitifully weak against other ships, but against fighters they flatout rock.

LD

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

Based on the following facts how much will I enjoy this game
1)4x Turn base Fan, CIV, GAL CIV series
2)RTS Fan, C&C StarWars, & off and on with Homewold kind of hard for me at the time.
3)I like the building and designing  ships like GALCIV, with weapons that really had\showed their effects.
4)Exploration like GALCIV.
You know what? To make this short, I liked everything that GALCIV 1&2 had to offer is this game much better than that?

PS3 Spinks
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

The only way I could kind of accurately put it would be GalCiv meets Conquest Frontier Wars. Which is all kinds of awesome in my book.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on February 08, 2008, 07:41:10 PM

The only way I could kind of accurately put it would be GalCiv meets Conquest Frontier Wars. Which is all kinds of awesome in my book.

Yooo.. I forgot about Conquest Frontier Wars,, that was the shit.. Holy crap If it is like that plus GalCiv I am on it as I get out of here.
Which leads to my next question: Is it windows Live and how dose Windows Live work on the PC? (I have a Live 360 Gold account)

PS3 Spinks
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 08, 2008, 08:31:04 PM

Yooo.. I forgot about Conquest Frontier Wars,, that was the shit.. Holy crap If it is like that plus GalCiv I am on it as I get out of here.
Which leads to my next question: Is it windows Live and how dose Windows Live work on the PC? (I have a Live 360 Gold account)

mp is through Iron Clad Online, (ICO) and afaik, not live supported.  you create an account with them and whatever named players you want to use in game.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 08, 2008, 08:31:04 PM

I think the Conquest: Frontier Wars comparison is perfect, but I don't see many people using it.  I guess there just weren't that many people that got to play Conquest.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

JuniorDan - You should be aware that Sins is not nearly as deep as Galactic Civilizations from an "empire building" standpoint.  Sins is leaps and bounds above most RTS games in that regard though; just don't be expecting GalCiv II in real time, because I frankly think that although that line sounds great in quick review site headlines, it is not accurate.  There is no ship designing whatsoever, and you have access to approximately only 12-15 ships per race, and that's it.  Your capital ships do level up however, and you have some control over special abilities you can give them, although Ironclad has implemented level caps to even those. 

Also, the size of the game greatly impacts how things play out.  A very small map with normal settings plays somewhat like an extra-long RTS game, whereas a very large map plays much differently.

I don't say these things to bash Sins.  Hell, I'm one of the games staunchest supporters, and think it is absolutely fantastic.  But I want to make it quite clear what you are and aren't getting with it. 

LD

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

I'd say Conquest but with a lot of 4X elements implemented would be the most accurate.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 01:15:28 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 08, 2008, 09:24:45 PM

JuniorDan - You should be aware that Sins is not nearly as deep as Galactic Civilizations from an "empire building" standpoint.  Sins is leaps and bounds above most RTS games in that regard though; just don't be expecting GalCiv II in real time, because I frankly think that although that line sounds great in quick review site headlines, it is not accurate.  There is no ship designing whatsoever, and you have access to approximately only 12-15 ships per race, and that's it.  Your capital ships do level up however, and you have some control over special abilities you can give them, although Ironclad has implemented level caps to even those. 

Also, the size of the game greatly impacts how things play out.  A very small map with normal settings plays somewhat like an extra-long RTS game, whereas a very large map plays much differently.

I don't say these things to bash Sins.  Hell, I'm one of the games staunchest supporters, and think it is absolutely fantastic.  But I want to make it quite clear what you are and aren't getting with it. 

Thanks for the heads up Lockdown, I got the game eitherway and I am enjoying the hell out of it. finished my first map today 7hrs 15planets 1 pirate base. what a game... icon_biggrin

PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

Here is a link to an informative site on the different ships in the game.
http://roe.totalgamingnetwork.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Sins_of_a_Solar_Empire%2C_Ships

PS3 Spinks
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 10, 2008, 01:15:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up Lockdown, I got the game eitherway and I am enjoying the hell out of it. finished my first map today 7hrs 15planets 1 pirate base. what a game... icon_biggrin

I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying it.  I can't think of an RTS since Kohan that I enjoyed this much.

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »

I cracked and bought this on my lunch break today.  Between all of the praise here and at Q23 I couldn't resist anymore.  This is the first PC game I have purchased since Hellgate London.  I'm hoping this turns out a little better.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 12, 2008, 09:38:24 PM

I cracked and bought this on my lunch break today.  Between all of the praise here and at Q23 I couldn't resist anymore.  This is the first PC game I have purchased since Hellgate London.  I'm hoping this turns out a little better.  icon_biggrin

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on February 13, 2008, 03:59:45 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on February 12, 2008, 09:38:24 PM

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

No argument there. I love the game so far.   I stayed up way too late last night playing.  I looked at the clock and it was 3:12am (I get up at 5:45 for work.)  Unfortunatly I had to save the game, and I'm sure When I get back to it I am going to be lost.  This was on a "small" random map against an easy AI.   paranoid

I can't immagine how long a game on a huge map against multiple AIs will last.   icon_eek

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

This game has me by the nuts. I started a game at 8pm and by 10pm I should have had it won but the AI kept going around behind me making new colonies as I blew them up so I just couldn't quit and let him wait till the next day so I sat there and played till he was dead dead dead. Looked up and it was 2am. Geebuz. Worth it though. I love this game so much.

Id love Sword of the STars near as much if the battles didn't take so dang long. I dont liek to let the AI auto resolve smile

Anyways SoaSE rates a high 11 on a scale of 10..see it goes to 11...but it goes to 11..see?

Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »

purchased the game the other day as well due to the GT Forum Effect.  Loving it so far.  Had a nice little group of capital ships get taken to the cleaners by the 'easy' AI. 

Well done, well done indeed...

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »

I had to take a break from Sins since I was staying up to 2AM every night.  Me am sleepy.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 09:17:08 AM »

I've been using a particular fleet that's just my carrier fleet.  Have the carrier cap ship along with carrier cruisers in a group with a few light frigates.  Set the whole fleet to tight formation and hold position engagement range.

When they jump into an area they'll just stay put and launch strike craft at targets, and the few attack frigates you have will help deal with any small ships that get near the carrier group.  And since its a separate fleet, you don't have to worry about your vulnerable carrier ships trying to stay next to your battle ships in the middle of a fight.  And if the carrier fleet gets threatened, since they stayed put at the edge of the gravity well it's a lot easier for them to jump to safety.

This fleet works best as backup to a second group made up of just brawler type ships.  The main battleship cap ship, attack frigates, etc...  Things that get in close to duke it out.  Jump in your brawler fleet first and give them a moment to move forward to distract the enemy, then jump in the carrier fleet.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »

I do the same thing.  Seems to work well, not to mention being fun as heck to watch.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »

Very good advice, I never even thought about breaking them out into a seperate fleet.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »

I love using a carrier fleet for hit & run tactics.  Since the bombers move so quickly and the host ships stay near the jump point, you can jump in your carriers, have the bombers quickly take out a culture center or a research station, then jump back out before the host ships even get a scratch.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 18, 2008, 01:54:25 PM

I love using a carrier fleet for hit & run tactics.  Since the bombers move so quickly and the host ships stay near the jump point, you can jump in your carriers, have the bombers quickly take out a culture center or a research station, then jump back out before the host ships even get a scratch.

So long as you have a squadron or two of fighters, to deal with any pesky bomber squadrons based in the system's defenses. smile

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

Heh, it's battlestar galactica all over again.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

So I just jumped into this game - am I missing something or is there no single player game at all?

Also, my first game seems to be taking about 3 hours to complete.  Is that normal or am I being to slow and deliberate?  I do like using 6 capital ships to obliterate enemy bases though. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: