http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:26:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire - Beta Musings  (Read 51074 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 07, 2008, 03:42:22 AM »

I bought this a while ago and realizing it's my fault for not paying attention and doing research, I was disappointed to realize that there is no single player campaign, especially after the intro video.......
That being said, if there is no campaign, how would you get an achievment to beat the game with X race?

Also, is there a way to accelerate time?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:17 AM »

I at least did the first tutorial. It looks fine, but it's not the kind of game you play to justify a $600 SLI set up or a $3,000 gaming PC. It runs great on my hoary old AMD64 3200 while still looking solid. smile

fwiw, the recent Joystiq interview with the producer/lead designer touched on why there's no traditional RTS campaign:
Quote from: Ironclad's Blair Fraser
A 'campaign' in a 4X sense is not a linked set of missions that tells a story like it would be in a standard RTS. The campaign in 4X games is typically a sandbox galaxy where you usually begin with one planet and expand to conquer the rest of the galaxy; and it isn't really any different in Sins than it would be in Galactic Civilizations or Masters of Orion. In the standard Sins game you will start with a single world with some basic upgrades, a frigate factory, 2 construction ships and some nominal amount of resources.

Of course there are plenty of starting parameters to play with: you can generate your own random map, you can design your own map with Galaxy Forge, and you can choose from over 25 initial handcrafted maps some of which vary the starting setup (I suppose these could be called scenarios). We'll be adding more custom setups to some of the maps in our free bonus packs and modders are already busy creating their own that will be available for download. Ultimately, the setup is really dependent on how you've chosen to play.
It seems like the idea [Since I am a 4X newbie cretin, I may be restating the obvious  smirk] is that each map is in itself a huge, sprawling sandbox campaign where you can do what you want -- rather than a fixed RTS campaign where you encounter the same scripted forces here and there, in an effort to accomplish fixed goals etc.

I'm not knocking that (Starcraft has some of my favorite campaigns ever, even when replayed), but I understand better after reading the interview why this doesn't do that. And for me, just about every RTS campaign is one I couldn't finish. Trying to get through standard RTS campaigns is like running a marathon after eating a box of Krispy Kremes for me, even in ones I loved like Company of Heroes, Starcraft, maybe even C&C: Generals.

And if you recall how long fans begged Relic for any sort of Homeworld editor tools, the fact this has powerful user tools at launch is pretty impressive. smile

If I suck at this game, I'll take all this positive stuff back later though.  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:31:58 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2008, 04:57:50 AM »

I picked up Gal Civ II as well recently and that does have a storyline. Even a simple one would have been nice I think.....
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2008, 05:23:30 AM »

I love campaigns in ground based 4x games like C&C but dont care for them at all in space based 4x games like MOO o rSins..dont miss them. I tried the one in GalCiv2 and 2 maps in gave up. Not only was it impossible but it didn't feel like a campaign..just random missions strung together. Moo is my all time favorite game and it doesn't have one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »

Penny Arcade's Tycho seemed to like this (from their news bits):
Quote from: Tycho at Penny Arcade
Installed Sins of a Solar Empire on the Night Engine [that's his pet term for his uber expensive gaming PC, I think:)] yesterday, to see if it would be something we'd consider advertising. Uh... yes. Yes. Yes a thousand times over. This is why it's nice to work with a smaller company, because if they want to advertise something on your site, they're not pulling from some budget a year in advance of the game's release. Stardock sent a full, boxed retail copy of the title and asked if we'd be willing to promote that, as opposed to some theoretical game they might be making in the future. I'll talk more about it on Friday, but I am kind of bowled over by this thing. That someone would pay me to recommend a game as entertaining as Sins of a Solar Empire is really the most ridiculous kind of crap.
Can't get a higher recommendation from him than that. smile They get a ton of traffic there, and generally when they say good things about a game it really does have a beneficial impact.

Just as when they tell their readers someone is evil, bad things happen to that person or game.  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:37:14 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:06 AM »

Considering how much they added to GalCiv 2, and how much they left open in this game.  Should be interesting to see what they'll add in the upcoming months or years.

When they add options to tune the pirates, or remove them, I do hope they add other things to the Criminal Underworld menu to replace them.  The pirate option, despite liking the mechanic, I do think it's a bit direct for what's considered a sneaky option.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2008, 07:00:30 AM »

I thought Tycho gave up PC gaming? smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 07, 2008, 05:34:17 AM

Penny Arcade's Tycho seemed to like this (from their news bits):
Quote from: Tycho at Penny Arcade
Installed Sins of a Solar Empire on the Night Engine [that's his pet term for his uber expensive gaming PC, I think:)] yesterday, to see if it would be something we'd consider advertising. Uh... yes. Yes. Yes a thousand times over. This is why it's nice to work with a smaller company, because if they want to advertise something on your site, they're not pulling from some budget a year in advance of the game's release. Stardock sent a full, boxed retail copy of the title and asked if we'd be willing to promote that, as opposed to some theoretical game they might be making in the future. I'll talk more about it on Friday, but I am kind of bowled over by this thing. That someone would pay me to recommend a game as entertaining as Sins of a Solar Empire is really the most ridiculous kind of crap.
Can't get a higher recommendation from him than that. smile They get a ton of traffic there, and generally when they say good things about a game it really does have a beneficial impact.

Just as when they tell their readers someone is evil, bad things happen to that person or game.  icon_twisted

I have less faith in PA guys at least since their spaz on review sites who correctly gave Assassins Creed average reviews.  I'm not saying that they're not right on this one-I just don't take what they say as gospel any more.

Calvin what are your laptop specs like?  I'm curious if I could run this on my laptop (I doubt it)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »

Quote from: Blair Fraser on February 07, 2008, 03:36:51 AM

1. What exactly is the problem? I'll be happy to explain.
2. Select the fleet (easiest by selecting fleet icon). tab or shift/tab until you have the new leader you want. Recreate the fleet.
3. Pirate power is determined by the amount of bounty, tradeships and colonized planets. You can view their current power level in the pirate screen.
4. Too early for a decision on this though we provided some random maps without pirate bases in the latest patch and pirates were already due for a slight frequency reduction.
5. Thanks, I love all the races too ! smile

1. Thanks, Blair.  Nevermind the Pinning question.  I firgured it out.  I'm lame.
2. Tab to the new leader and re-create... that works just fine.  Easy to do as well.
3. Is it the Low, Medium, High rating that shows that, or is it something else?
4. I realize you guys are taking some heat regarding the pirates.  I personally think they differentiate Sins and are a great mechanic.  I just thought an easier way to adjust their frequency (by the user) would be awesome.

I have read the manual and still don't fully understand the Black Market screen.  If I offer crystal up at a lower price than the current rate, that money comes directly to me when others buy it?  I am a bit confused.  In this screen, am I offering up 100 crystal at 3.0? 

- - - - - - -

OK, a tip for others that don't like their current skybox color.  Let's say you got that bright orange one, and for some reason wanted green.  You can check and uncheck the box that says "Use Colored Skyboxes" until you get the color you want.   It can take a bunch of clicks sometimes, but it's simple to do.  Pretty cool.  You can of course keep them off alltogether if you want a black background.

Also, the Report Screen is absolutely phenominal.  Clicking on a report screen brings up a list of all the things that happen in your empire.  Click the mouse to the report you want (it cycles through them), then hit the spacebar or click the little view screen in the bottom center.  Bam!  Brings you right to the place the Event happened.  Simply awesome.

The Vasari are an interesting race.  They get economy techs just a tad later in their trees than the TEC, or at least seem to.  However, they have two things going for them that I like.  First, this capital ship is very slick:

Second, they get a skill called Lockdown.  You really can't get much cooler than that! 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

So I have found that while funding the pirates to take out my enemies is great early on...they can build up to where they are unstopable for me.  This last game the bounty on me ended up around 15k, and they came rolling, with over 100 frigates.

So how does everyone start out?  I currently play with the default settings.  I am torn at the very start between upgrading my planet to up the population (which takes almost all of my starting crystal), or for the same crystal I can build a capital ship factory and a research station, with crystal left over that shortly after I start collecting it I can get a second research facility.

Haven't really settled into having a favorite race yet, although I haven't really played around with the TEC much since I had so much of them in Beta.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 07, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »

I've only played on Close Encounters, so my strategy for bigger games could be much different.  But I start by building two scout ships and have them Auto-Scout.  Off they go uncovering the galaxy.

Next I build all three mining extractors and then build the Capital Ship building - followed by building my first Capital Ship. 

Next I name my Capital ship something truly sinister sounding, like "Arkon's Hammer".

Next I start digging into Economy research.

After that... I have no strategy at all.  I play it completely by ear and try to have fun. 

That could explain why I suck.   icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2008, 01:54:35 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 07, 2008, 01:17:58 PM

I've only played on Close Encounters, so my strategy for bigger games could be much different.  But I start by building two scout ships and have them Auto-Scout.  Off they go uncovering the galaxy.

Next I build all three mining extractors and then build the Capital Ship building - followed by building my first Capital Ship. 

Next I name my Capital ship something truly sinister sounding, like "Arkon's Hammer".

Next I start digging into Economy research.

After that... I have no strategy at all.  I play it completely by ear and try to have fun. 

That could explain why I suck.   icon_biggrin

Play Co-op with us!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 07, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »

I would love to do some co-op, perhaps tonight?

So I guess it is a waste to immediatly upgrade the planet population option from the get go?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 07, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »

Let's hook up tonight, Arkon.

Not too late though - I'll never be able to finish if we start too late.  Are your work hours still wonky, or have they smoothed out?

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 07, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 07, 2008, 02:20:37 PM

Let's hook up tonight, Arkon.

Not too late though - I'll never be able to finish if we start too late.  Are your work hours still wonky, or have they smoothed out?

Still wonky, but I am on daylight today, so I finish at 3 PM EST.  Will be home by 4.  Next week I am on midnight so will have lots of time to play when my daughter isn't monopolizing it lol.
Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 08, 2008, 04:51:40 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 07, 2008, 10:25:49 AM

3. Is it the Low, Medium, High rating that shows that, or is it something else?
-That is correct.

4. I realize you guys are taking some heat regarding the pirates.  I personally think they differentiate Sins and are a great mechanic.  I just thought an easier way to adjust their frequency (by the user) would be awesome.
-Don't worry they aren't going anywhere but we are always looking for ways to improve things.

I have read the manual and still don't fully understand the Black Market screen.  If I offer crystal up at a lower price than the current rate, that money comes directly to me when others buy it?  I am a bit confused.  In this screen, am I offering
up 100 crystal at 3.0? 

Yes, you are selling 100 crystal at 3.0 and everyone will buy from you unless another player has some for sale at a cheaper price. An economic player can begin to control the market in this way and there can be some really interesting dynamics - following the graphs is critical if you are into this style of play.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:54:45 AM by Blair Fraser » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 08, 2008, 07:23:41 AM »

BTW I bought my copy at Wal-Mart and it came wit ha sweet ass Windows SoaSE theme. Its damn spiffy. I love the color set. Looks great. I used the GalCiv2 one a long time and this one is even better. Its a MyColors theme set btw. Dont think Ive used it before. Hey its a free theme smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »

Thanks, Blair.  I really like the concept that I can sell my excess crystal to another player and get paid directly for it.  What a great idea!  From your experience, does the A.I. take advantage of this mechanic yet, or is it mostly a player vs. player thing?

Arkon and I tried our hand at co-op multiplayer last night.  My Vasari are pretty much tucked back in a 'corner' of the star system, which is nice.  Arkon's Vasari are on the battlefront, and he has already been in many a skirmish with one of our A.I. Advent opponents.  He's kicking their ass, while I pretty much sit back and take screenshots of his battles, forgetting I'm supposed to be researching and stuff.  I'm pretty much the worst co-op partner ever.   icon_biggrin

Performance has been freakin' excellent, and using Kato's ventrillo server is quite fun as I get to hear Arkon's daughter "talking" to me in the background while we play.

One of the coolest things about random maps is you never know where the jumplines/phaselanes are going to be.  Arkon ended up really close to an opponent with jumplines pretty much leading right to them, while I ended up with a jumplines that shield me extremely well from the A.I. but put me in direct conflict with the Pirates.  Makes things very interesting.  We saved after about an hour and a half, so we will get to try the resume feature next time.  That feature is a mini-godsend for gamers like us.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 08, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 08, 2008, 12:48:28 PM

Thanks, Blair.  I really like the concept that I can sell my excess crystal to another player and get paid directly for it.  What a great idea!  From your experience, does the A.I. take advantage of this mechanic yet, or is it mostly a player vs. player thing?

Arkon and I tried our hand at co-op multiplayer last night.  My Vasari are pretty much tucked back in a 'corner' of the star system, which is nice.  Arkon's Vasari are on the battlefront, and he has already been in many a skirmish with one of our A.I. Advent opponents.  He's kicking their ass, while I pretty much sit back and take screenshots of his battles, forgetting I'm supposed to be researching and stuff.  I'm pretty much the worst co-op partner ever.   icon_biggrin

Performance has been freakin' excellent, and using Kato's ventrillo server is quite fun as I get to hear Arkon's daughter "talking" to me in the background while we play.

One of the coolest things about random maps is you never know where the jumplines/phaselanes are going to be.  Arkon ended up really close to an opponent with jumplines pretty much leading right to them, while I ended up with a jumplines that shield me extremely well from the A.I. but put me in direct conflict with the Pirates.  Makes things very interesting.  We saved after about an hour and a half, so we will get to try the resume feature next time.  That feature is a mini-godsend for gamers like us.

I see you left out the part where because I built up to trade ports quickly, I have been able to save your behind from the pirates quite a few times by upping bounties on our enemies to a level they can't hope to beat!

icon_lol
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »

No.  I was sure you would come into the thread to toot your own horn, so I left that part out intentionally.   

Rest assured though, the Vasari 'B' team is very grateful for your help.   icon_wink

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 08, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 08, 2008, 02:24:04 PM

No.  I was sure you would come into the thread to toot your own horn, so I left that part out intentionally.   

Rest assured though, the Vasari 'B' team is very grateful for your help.   icon_wink

Well hopefully the 'B' team will manage to come in and flank one of our two opponents, since both of them are throwing thier troops at me.  Of course I have already downed 3 of thier cap ships, so they may be on the ropes, between me and the pirates.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 08, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

Oh so the pirates go after whoever has the highest bounty? I did not know that.....

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 08, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

Actually Sky, I have seen them attack multiple people at once, not just the guy with the highest bounty on his head.  I think only Blair and some of the devs know the ins and outs of how the pirates decide whom to attack, and with how much force, but even though the highest bounty is a huge factor, it seems to be based on more than just that.

LD

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »

Really enjoying the game, but, I would like to see a bit more done with the diplomacy on the SP side of things.  At the moment it seems to be pretty much a case of the Ai telling me to do things and me going 'yes master' if I want any hope of some kind of diplomatic relations.  It would be nice if there were some inherent dislikes/problems between differing races, and conversely it being easier to make friend's with factions from the same race.  Of course that might already be in there and I haven't noticed it yet.

I also would like to see some more obvious distinctions between the 3 races.  The ships look different, and do have different abilities, but it just doesn't quite feel like they play very differently.  This may be mainly a factor of not having played enough to see more of the subtleties that are there.

Lastly, more ships types.  I know that it helps to keep things fairly streamlined, but it would be nice to have some other, viable, ships to play with.

Considering that from the sound of things Ironclad intends to have the same type of after release support that Galciv I&2 have had, I expect to start seeing such things before too long.

P.s. forgot minor races, monsters (what?  I liked the random space monsters from MOO), ancient robotic defenses...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 08, 2008, 09:52:10 PM »

Minor note they now have xfire support that is nice to see. As well as giving the ability to have a time clock in the game window as a result smile

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 08, 2008, 09:40:23 PM

Really enjoying the game, but, I would like to see a bit more done with the diplomacy on the SP side of things.  At the moment it seems to be pretty much a case of the Ai telling me to do things and me going 'yes master' if I want any hope of some kind of diplomatic relations.  It would be nice if there were some inherent dislikes/problems between differing races, and conversely it being easier to make friend's with factions from the same race.  Of course that might already be in there and I haven't noticed it yet.

I also would like to see some more obvious distinctions between the 3 races.  The ships look different, and do have different abilities, but it just doesn't quite feel like they play very differently.  This may be mainly a factor of not having played enough to see more of the subtleties that are there.

Lastly, more ships types.  I know that it helps to keep things fairly streamlined, but it would be nice to have some other, viable, ships to play with.

Considering that from the sound of things Ironclad intends to have the same type of after release support that Galciv I&2 have had, I expect to start seeing such things before too long.

P.s. forgot minor races, monsters (what?  I liked the random space monsters from MOO), ancient robotic defenses...

I agree with most of what you've said, but I definitely feel the three races play extremely differently in playstyles.  Advent's use of shields, aggro management in battle, spreading damage through use of guardians and their focus on strikecraft and culture make them play much differently than the other two definitely.  TEC had the huge economic focus which allows you to fund huge fleets more quickly and their ships do good damage as well.  Vasari have amazing control with regards to phase lanes and jumping and their ships focus on hindering movement of others, self repair and the like and they play quite different as a result. 

You CAN play each of the three races in the same way, in which case they would seem very similar, but if you cater to their strengths you'll probably see that they really are quite different.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 08, 2008, 10:22:23 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 08, 2008, 09:40:23 PM

I agree with most of what you've said, but I definitely feel the three races play extremely differently in playstyles.  Advent's use of shields, aggro management in battle, spreading damage through use of guardians and their focus on strikecraft and culture make them play much differently than the other two definitely.  TEC had the huge economic focus which allows you to fund huge fleets more quickly and their ships do good damage as well.  Vasari have amazing control with regards to phase lanes and jumping and their ships focus on hindering movement of others, self repair and the like and they play quite different as a result. 

You CAN play each of the three races in the same way, in which case they would seem very similar, but if you cater to their strengths you'll probably see that they really are quite different.

I agree with what both of you have to say.  I think this game is fantastic, even if there is room for improvement.  I know this game will be supported very well by the devs and I just can't wait what the community will do (Mods, maps, extras)

Semper Fidelis

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »

Me being of the pea sized brain, I'm doing one tutorial a night. I'm fine with the space combat stuff, the economy stuff I think might overwhelm my micro-managing abilities, but I'm hoping my once-a day gradual introduction will let me gradually wade in.

I speak as representative of the "never played a 4X game in my life" crowd, not the "Stardock veterans" crowd, btw. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 08, 2008, 10:41:16 PM »

Hey, I just launched stardock central and the update/patch is ready!!!

Semper Fidelis

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: February 08, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »

argh!

While this is great, the patch caused my nearly complete download of SoaSE on my desktop to restart from the beginning, and all the people downloading the patch have slowed my install down to single or double digit kb/s.

That said, I'm going to do a LAN game with a friend today, should be fun.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: February 08, 2008, 11:44:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 08, 2008, 11:36:06 PM

argh!

While this is great, the patch caused my nearly complete download of SoaSE on my desktop to restart from the beginning, and all the people downloading the patch have slowed my install down to single or double digit kb/s.

That said, I'm going to do a LAN game with a friend today, should be fun.

ouch.  not the best way to manage patches unfortunately.  should have let you get the whole thing and then grab the patch right after. 

Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »

Just wanted to post that we have released the 1.02 update. You can download the update via Stardock Central or the update button in Sins.

Small excerpt of changes:

1. Fixed a bug on Ironclad On-line where games in progress would sometimes linger and show as available resulting in a "Rejected by host" message.
2. Siege Frigates now use more fleet supply and have somewhat fewer hull points.
3. Pirate strikes come less often
4. Random map options that don't have pirates now available
5. Various tweaks and improvements to ICO (Ironclad Online)
6. Various tweaks and improvements to the game UI in game (more info available)
7. Various small tweaks to weapons and defenses

Full change log can be found here.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=176182
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »

Quote from: Island Dog on February 09, 2008, 02:23:51 PM

Just wanted to post that we have released the 1.02 update. You can download the update via Stardock Central or the update button in Sins.

Small excerpt of changes:

1. Fixed a bug on Ironclad On-line where games in progress would sometimes linger and show as available resulting in a "Rejected by host" message.
2. Siege Frigates now use more fleet supply and have somewhat fewer hull points.
3. Pirate strikes come less often
4. Random map options that don't have pirates now available
5. Various tweaks and improvements to ICO (Ironclad Online)
6. Various tweaks and improvements to the game UI in game (more info available)
7. Various small tweaks to weapons and defenses

Full change log can be found here.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=176182

Welcome to Gaming Trend Island Dog!
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

Anyone receive their pre-order CE boxed copy yet?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on February 09, 2008, 04:46:23 PM

Yup, came yesterday.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 09, 2008, 07:04:32 PM

Yup, came yesterday.

Is the extra stuff worth the cost? How is its quality?

How many ship types are in the game?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »

Yup, came yesterday.

Did you get a confirmation that it was sent wonderpug?  I still haven't seen mine yet frown  Maybe because I live in Hawai'i Tongue

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 09, 2008, 08:00:43 PM

Yup, came yesterday.

Did you get a confirmation that it was sent wonderpug?  I still haven't seen mine yet frown  Maybe because I live in Hawai'i Tongue

Haven't got one either, and I live in Texas frown
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 09, 2008, 08:00:43 PM

Yup, came yesterday.

No confirmation, it was sent USPS Priority Mail, and it looks like it was sent on the 6th from Ohio.

Quote from: JSL on February 09, 2008, 07:38:03 PM

Is the extra stuff worth the cost? How is its quality?

• The two posters look like they're 11x16.  One is more of an ad with a bunch of picture bullet points of the features.  The other is a pic of some TEC capital ships with a planet in the background.  They're come folded into 8ths.
    • Music CD comes on the same spindle as the game CD.  Looks like it's 23 tracks.
    • The hotkey card is about the width of a full size keyboard, but the keyboard map itself just highlights the keys that are used as hotkeys without saying what they're for.  The rest of the card is a sorted list of the various hotkeys.
    • The tech tree poster is really really big and colorful.  Unfortunately, it lists the three factions civilian tree on one side and the three military trees on the other side, so you if you have a desire to pin it up you won't be able to see all the information.  Also, it just lists the names of the techs without any descriptions, so you can't really study it unless you already know what all the techs do.

I'll never use the posters, the CD, or the hotkey card, and while the tech poster is really nice looking I know I'll only be using the in-game tech tree since it has more information.

Honestly, having preordered this 6 months in advance to support the company (I pretty much never preorder anything) I'm pretty disappointed with the way they handled the collector's content.  It's not that it's bad, it's that I wasn't given an option to just have the base version.  They made it sound like all the preorderers were getting "upgraded" to the collectors edition for free, but when I could've just stopped at Best Buy to get everything I wanted for $40 it feels like I was forced into paying the extra $10.  Well, I guess just forced into paying $5 for the CE stuff since the other $5 was for shipping.

Anyway, if you're trying to decide whether the CE is worth it, base your decision on how much you want the soundtrack and the tech tree poster.  The tech tree poster really is pretty nice, I just wish I could look at a particular faction without having to flip it over back and forth.[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:19:08 PM by wonderpug » Logged
    SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
    « Reply #479 on: February 10, 2008, 02:13:13 AM »

Okay, I can't for the life of me get this stupid thing to host properly.  I've done the ports right and I can't get anything cooking.

Just Hiro will do.
    Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: