http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire - Beta Musings  (Read 51366 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

Wow, I got to 90% downloaded and then everything slowed to a crawl (average 55 kb/sec)  icon_cry  This might take a lot longer than I thought.....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

Yes/no to my shitty laptop playing this one?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »

OK got the game downloaded - superb speed smile

Now where can I find the manual - can't see any pdf?

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 04, 2008, 08:13:14 PM

Now where can I find the manual - can't see any pdf?

Tals

Ignore me - manual.pdf - how did I miss that one  retard

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 04, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »

Tals

Great.  Now where is the impressions thread with your impressions?

Jesus, Tals... stop dickin' around and get to it. 

Bring your own!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 04, 2008, 01:53:41 PM

You want to try World in Conflict - that plays on a much lesser scale in terms of units being controlled.Tals
Unfortunately, it's a system backbreaker (I should've realized that when the hardware sites started using World in Conflict as a "video card stress test"   saywhat) Plus, I think it's maybe only the second RTS I ever played that gave me motion sickness problems. Moving the camera around made me feel like I was sitting through "Blair Witch Project" again (or the current "Cloverfield" for you youngsters out there).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »

Doh I'm out. I've got a two year old laptop.  Hopefully I can get around to it in a couple of years!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 04, 2008, 08:45:09 PM

Tals

Bring your own!

OK played for over an hour this evening. Its definitely improved from my previous excursions - generally clearer. The research whilst improved just has so many options it can be mind boggling - non of the straight line research tree for this baby, for me this is not so good (compared to civ) but will make for interesting games later i'm hoping.

I don't remember the interface being quite as slick as before - maybe I never played it properly before (probably not playing it properly yet smile ) But you can pretty much command the game from the fleet menus - so whilst working on building your structures you can be advising your fleets to intercept a threat or not.

Graphics are very good - when you narrow in on a battle its nothing short of amazing.

The downside is still there - is it possible to manage a game of this size, there can be so much going on. Not sure at the moment but definitely going in for more to find out smile

Tals

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »

Holy cow, I think I'm just going to redownload this any time I want to test out my internet connection's maximum download speed.  This is mighty impressive, even if it wasn't launch day.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2008, 11:46:36 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 04, 2008, 11:11:20 PM

Doh I'm out. I've got a two year old laptop.  Hopefully I can get around to it in a couple of years!

You might not have to. I don't think the min spec requirements are that high - regardless of how it looks smile

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

And if you cannot remember which version you pre-ordered, In stardock Central just request you serial #'s the email that gets sent will have it on it

Product Name  : Sins of a Solar Empire (Collector's Edition DVD)

Yay!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2008, 04:46:49 PM »

I just put in a good 3 hours on a small map against a Normal (random) AI opponent.  I like playing the Advent - psionics are kool. 

There is just too much to write, and I don't have it in me right now to do full impressions.  I really like the game a lot.  The search function is a great addition.  I will admit the whole fleet thing vs. control group thing is confusing me though.  I need to re-read that section of the manual or get a clue or something.  Manipulating the pirates is a really fun game mechanic.  The strategic AI seems pretty smart to me: they know when to attack and more importantly seem to know when you are kicking their arse and it's time to retreat.  That is important for this game to work single-player.  Of course it looks fantastic.  There is a replay feature where you can take a saved game and analyze what's going on in replay.  That's how I took a picture of the pirate base.  The other pics are of an Advent ship that I love and the galaxy size.  This is a really small map, and it's taking me awhile to play through it.  I'm very happy so far.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:48:31 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Heh, guess we think alike.  First game I tried was a small map playing as Advent--and that carrier was the capital ship I picked.

The last time I touched the beta it was still just human faction only, so it's really cool seeing all the Advent beam weapons for the first time.

Aside from the new tech tree which is infinitely more manageable than the last version I saw, I'm having a hard time picking out the little things that have changed.  I'm going to have to dig through the change logs a bit I think.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »

Must not get drawn into playing this awesome looking game...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »

Very fun, but I am having a hard time doing well.  I always let something slip for longer than I should and end up getting slaughtered.  I was also annoyed by the fact that playing a 3 player ffa against 2 normal AI's seemed to always end up with me against both AI's, and getting clobbered.

Supposedly you can fulfill the requests they give you and gain friendliness in order to get treaties.  Unfortunately, I would fulfill a request, gain the friendliness, and then 2 seconds later the ai would send a scout through my system.  Of course the defenses would destroy the scout, and then the ai would get upset, instantly losing the goodwill I had just generated.

Made it difficult to get any momentum diplomatically.

I still enjoy the game, it is obvious there is a lot to learn.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »

Did you get a cease fire with the race that you were friendly with?  That'd stop your defenses from firing on his scouts.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »

Tals

Bring your own!

Fucking tals

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on February 05, 2008, 07:00:06 PM

Tals

Bring your own!

Fucking tals

crybaby

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 05, 2008, 06:14:32 PM

Did you get a cease fire with the race that you were friendly with?  That'd stop your defenses from firing on his scouts.

Nope.  They would go to 25-30% friendly and refuse the cease-fire.  It was a moot point most of the time anyway as there would be less than 30 seconds between accomplishing the mission, and the scout dying.

Became especially annoying when both ai's would give a mission against the other, while both of them were in the middle of attacking me.  Impossible to get anything done diplomatically then.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »

Played another 4 hour marathon yesterday as the Vasari.  This game is so damn good.  I have some questions, Blair.

1.  I agree with Tom Chick in that Pinning should be explained better.  It's an awesome addition, but I find it confusing.

2.  How do you quickly change a Fleet Leader from one ship to another?  There must be a hotkey I'm missing.

3.  Can I manipulate how big the Pirate fleet that attacks an enemy is by giving them more money, or is it capped by how far along into the game I am?

4.  Oh... did you guys entertain the thought of giving us a slider in the random map maker as to how often the pirates attack?  What's it default at now, 12 minutes?  A slider to make it every X minutes would be cool as hell!

I would write up full impressions, but there is just too much to say, and I don't even know where to begin.  I love how far the game has come in the past 3 months!  All 3 races came out fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:43:44 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 05, 2008, 08:17:12 PM

Quote from: Turtle on February 05, 2008, 06:14:32 PM

Nope.  They would go to 25-30% friendly and refuse the cease-fire.  It was a moot point most of the time anyway as there would be less than 30 seconds between accomplishing the mission, and the scout dying.

Became especially annoying when both ai's would give a mission against the other, while both of them were in the middle of attacking me.  Impossible to get anything done diplomatically then.

I believe you can change your aggresiveness on troops.  For example you can tell them to attack at a range of an entire gravity well, or less etc.. since scouts normally stay to the outside of a gravity well this may solve that.

I am loving the game, anyone care to do some multiplayer some evening, perhaps tomorrow or Friday? 

(Hint Hint, lockdown I am looking at you!)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »

Kato:  I keep missing you, damn it!

Arkon:  Definately.  Let's do it!

For those of you into creating your very own maps and stuff...

Ironclad Download Area

LD

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »

For anyone who wants to try:

Start an Advent game. Research strike craft. Build some, zoom in all the way. Do your bomber models have textures on them, cause mine don't. (I'll try to get some pics later). I'm wondering... is this planned, or did they forget the textures?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

I'm up for a multiplayer game too!  When are you guys going to play?

-Autistic Angel
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »

Woohoo! Jarrod and I played some 2v2 normal AI difficulty and won.  Very good game filled with very cool moments.  Hopefully playing tonight again.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 06, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »

Multianna has posted some great multiplayer gameplay videos of the release version of Sins for those who don't have it yet and want to see what the game is all about from a gameplay standpoint (video vs. just pics).

Gametrailers - Low Res - Streaming

or

High Quality - Large Download Files

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »

Even though 999 voices in my head screamed, "NOOOOO! It's too complicated! Your pea-sized brain won't have a chance playing it!" I instead listened to the one voice that is sick of FPSs, full on MMOs, not interested in consoles (no, not even Mass Effect -- a lot of my hardcore PC gamer buds have bought an XBox360 to play only that one game) and just wanted to try tackling something a little different on PC.

We'll see how that turns out because generally I listen to the mass of voices, not the one.  In this case, the power of one ruled. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:27 PM »

I want to play it so bad but this laptop can barely get through the menus frown CURSE YOU FATES!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 06, 2008, 07:05:38 PM »

So, I finished up a game with myself fighting 2 computer opponents.  I chose the advent (more due to their design than anything else) and started to colonize the surrounding area.  A little while in, I had 5 systems under my control and was beginning to annihilate the TEC AI player by bombing his planets and the surrounding area into oblivion.  I think the TEC player and the other Advent player formed a pact, put a huge bounty on my head and attacked me from two fronts.  While I was assaulting the TEC player, pirates assaulted one of my planets, the Advent was coming from the west and the TEC player rallied his forces while I was withdrawing and started another assault from the east.  Yeah, at that time I kinda quit Tongue 

The bottom line is that diplomacy plays a huge role in the game...I underestimated it and pissed in both of their cups and it didn't end so well. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »

Got it at Wal-Mart today. Looking forward to trying it. Really shoulda saved that money for my tooth pulling but by then it woulda been spent on a bill so screw it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983
The bottom line is that diplomacy plays a huge role in the game...I underestimated it and pissed in both of their cups and it didn't end so well.

I played a game in a medium galaxy against three AI players and basically ignored the diplomacy aspects of the game, and two of the AI players wound up forming an alliance to wipe me out.  I didn't even notice until I saw the purple and blue ships moving in formation together. icon_redface

I haven't played enough to develop much skill, but my early impression is that the AI in this game is every bit as sharp as in GalCiv 2. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »

Yeah, I ignored the diplomacy portion too...kinda funny how things turn out, eh? Tongue

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 06, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »

Well...

Shacknews reviews Sins.

LD

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »

The Shacknews review says there is no single player campaign, but if you set up skirmish mode with multiple AI opponents, how is that not a single player mode? I'm confused by what the reviewer is expecting.
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 06, 2008, 11:19:02 PM

The Shacknews review says there is no single player campaign, but if you set up skirmish mode with multiple AI opponents, how is that not a single player mode? I'm confused by what the reviewer is expecting.

Yeah, I have to take issue with the review. Pretty much everything they mention as a weakness I think of as a strength, and vice versa.  For example, I like my epic fleet engagements to be long, brutal slugfests, thank you very much; that's what makes them epic. I'm not opposed to actually taking a second or two to read a tech tree description; in fact, give me a more immersive feeling tech tree over "Crystal Mining +3" any freaking day.  I'm actually pretty happy that "The artists did not have the leisure of ripping already-iconic designs", because, frankly, I'm sick to freaking death of Star Destroyers.

I, personally, really like the game; but clearly, Shacknews and I have different opinions on what makes a game good.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 06, 2008, 11:19:02 PM

I would view a campaign to be story driven and with objectives - more than just beat the enemy to a pulp smile

He did mention skirmish.

Tals

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 06, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »

That makes more sense I guess. Too bad the reviewer wasn't clear.

Then again, unless my memory is failing in my old age, Master of Orion 2 which is arguably the pinnacle of the 4X space strategy genre, didn't have a campaign mode either. Just set up the parameters of the game, jump in and annihilate the enemy AI.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

Yeah I was going to make a comment about how much I loved the campaign in MOO and MOO2.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2008, 01:10:42 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 07, 2008, 12:02:14 AM

Yeah I was going to make a comment about how much I loved the campaign in MOO and MOO2.

Do it... slywink

Heck, I loved the campaign mode in Civilization.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 07, 2008, 03:36:51 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 06, 2008, 12:46:12 PM

Played another 4 hour marathon yesterday as the Vasari.  This game is so damn good.  I have some questions, Blair.

1.  I agree with Tom Chick in that Pinning should be explained better.  It's an awesome addition, but I find it confusing.

2.  How do you quickly change a Fleet Leader from one ship to another?  There must be a hotkey I'm missing.

3.  Can I manipulate how big the Pirate fleet that attacks an enemy is by giving them more money, or is it capped by how far along into the game I am?

4.  Oh... did you guys entertain the thought of giving us a slider in the random map maker as to how often the pirates attack?  What's it default at now, 12 minutes?  A slider to make it every X minutes would be cool as hell!

I would write up full impressions, but there is just too much to say, and I don't even know where to begin.  I love how far the game has come in the past 3 months!  All 3 races came out fantastic.

1. What exactly is the problem? I'll be happy to explain.
2. Select the fleet (easiest by selecting fleet icon). tab or shift/tab until you have the new leader you want. Recreate the fleet.
3. Pirate power is determined by the amount of bounty, tradeships and colonized planets. You can view their current power level in the pirate screen.
4. Too early for a decision on this though we provided some random maps without pirate bases in the latest patch and pirates were already due for a slight frequency reduction.
5. Thanks, I love all the races too ! smile
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: