http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:12:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire - Beta Musings  (Read 50282 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 29, 2008, 11:44:16 PM

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
IIRC Brad posted on OO on the thread there and said everyone is getting the CE.

OMFG  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »

I wanted to be sure so I rechecked..heres what Brad said..

All pre-orders are upgraded to collector's edition.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2008, 09:12:21 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 30, 2008, 08:11:17 AM

Except those that are download only as they cannot be upgraded to cd+download until after the game has shipped frown

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

Quote from: Tals on January 30, 2008, 09:12:21 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on January 30, 2008, 08:11:17 AM

Except those that are download only as they cannot be upgraded to cd+download until after the game has shipped frown

I'm not sure I completely understand what that means, Tals.  Are you saying that people that pre-ordered but did NOT choose the cd option can still get the CE, but will have to wait a bit longer, or that they are shit out of luck, period? 

Blair?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »

When I emailed Stardock - I wanted to convert my download only to download+product for the grand sum of 10$. They couldn't do that but after the product has started shipping they said I could have the product shipped for 10$.

What was never clarified was whether I would then get the CE version - my guess would be not frown

Maybe Blair or Brad could clarify.

Tals

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »

Quote from: Tals on January 30, 2008, 12:32:59 PM

When I emailed Stardock - I wanted to convert my download only to download+product for the grand sum of 10$. They couldn't do that but after the product has started shipping they said I could have the product shipped for 10$.

What was never clarified was whether I would then get the CE version - my guess would be not frown

Maybe Blair or Brad could clarify.

Tals

What if you don't remember what version you bought? And when does gold unlock, I want the regular skirmish AI!!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »

I'm fairly sure you can log into your stardock account and verify what version you bought

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »

If you still have your e-mail order confirmation, I'm sure it would also list whether you bought the "Digital Download" or the "Digital Download + CD" version.

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:23 AM »

can you still pre-order this late in the game?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »

I would guess you could... but I'm not certain.

Some last minute pre-launch stuff at IGN.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
kryo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 30, 2008, 12:27:38 PM

I'm not sure I completely understand what that means, Tals.  Are you saying that people that pre-ordered but did NOT choose the cd option can still get the CE, but will have to wait a bit longer, or that they are shit out of luck, period? 

People who have ordered direct for download only will get PDFs of the printed goodies and a download for the music CD so they can burn their own. Alternately, if you want the real deal, you'll be able to upgrade to a CE box post-release for $5+shipping. Shipping has just been revised down (after being revised up--the 3lb. quote we were given for the CE box was high) to $10 US / $20 International.

All orders will be filled with CEs until we run out (shouldn't be for a while). When we get low, we'll post an announcement to that effect.

Quote from: Caine on January 31, 2008, 12:16:23 AM

You can preorder right up until sales hits the magic button that changes it to "Order" mode (i.e., when the final download is posted)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:58:08 PM by kryo » Logged
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »

Quote from: kryo on January 31, 2008, 09:56:27 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on January 30, 2008, 12:27:38 PM

People who have ordered direct for download only will get PDFs of the printed goodies and a download for the music CD so they can burn their own. Alternately, if you want the real deal, you'll be able to upgrade to a CE box post-release for $5+shipping. Shipping has just been revised down (after being revised up--the 3lb. quote we were given for the CE box was high) to $10 US / $20 International.

All orders will be filled with CEs until we run out (shouldn't be for a while). When we get low, we'll post an announcement to that effect.

Quote from: Caine on January 31, 2008, 12:16:23 AM

You can preorder right up until sales hits the magic button that changes it to "Order" mode (i.e., when the final download is posted)

Hi Kyro - thanks for the Clarification. I'm based in the UK - originally the shipping was 10$ - is that still the case?

kryo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »

As noted above, shipping was revised to $20 international. The CE box is heavier than our usual boxes so we had to raise shipping fees, but thankfully it's not quite as heavy as the quote the factory gave us last week (so we dropped it from our initial hike).

Anyone who ordered a box prior to the shipping changes will still pay the lower rates they were quoted/charged at. However those buying in the past week or so on forwards, or upgrading from download only, will be paying $10 US / $20 Int'l.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:30:40 PM by kryo » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »

Im hoping I can pick up the CE box from Wal-Mart like I did GalCiv2 when it came out.

I wish the CE had something more though. I know being a indie type company makes it impossible to add a figurine but It would be neat to have a random chance of 1 of 3 different ships in the CE box. One from each side of the game. Im a fan of the TEC smile
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:46:31 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:26 PM »

Jeez, I'm in pre-release hype mode or something.  Now if Blair would just give us a real gamespeed slider instead of Slow-Medium-Fast, I'd be great.  See Blair, I go down fighting until the end.  Eventually people like Tom Chick and I will just wear you down until you cave.   icon_wink

Anyway, this is a good read in general for those interested in pc gaming, and it's somewhat Sins related:

NextGen Link

LD

Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »

Yeah yeah! Tongue There are some technical and multiplayer issues with this one but it's a request that's growing in popularity so you never know! (which is also meant to imply that this isn't the end of Sins development, we'll be releasing new stuff for awhile yet smile)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet.

Linkesauge from the Sins forums took a "still shot" of the setup screen portion of that GameSpot video.  For those that like playing on 'custom maps' rather than the typical RTS standard maps, this will let you see the things the player has control over tweaking for setup (at least, that's what it looks like to me).

There are more stills if you're interested.  Just look at reply #12 of this thread if you care. 

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »

Would like now kthnx?
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »

I'm somewhat tempted to get the CE... if I decide I want to go that route, who should I contact? Does it matter if I preordered with TGN points as opposed to other methods?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »

I thought all digital versions were CE's.  But I'm so confused now, I'm not sure.

For those of you that don't visit OO or Qt3...

Brad does a walkthru

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 01, 2008, 08:34:56 PM

For those of you that don't visit OO or Qt3...

Brad does a walkthru

Wow.  I haven't been paying any attention to this game at all until now.  It looks very interesting.  I wish I had more free time right now for all these great games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »

Seriously, I am not going to be by my main PC the day the gold unlocks, and I am annoyed-even after having the beta all this time (and barely playing it), I just cannot wait for the full game-it looks tlike they have done an incredible job cleaning this up for release (and I hear the final skirmish AI is awesome).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2008, 07:14:57 AM »

Okay, that's it.  I'm buying this game.  When can I download the full version if I buy via stardock?  I want to purchase, then set my computer to download while I'm in class.  Of course, I'll opt for a hardcopy mailed to me too.

Anyone know if I can play multiplayer LAN with just one copy?  My friend isn't quite sold on the game, and I want to install this on my laptop, bring him over, and play a two player LAN game to convince him to buy his own copy.

The main thing that sold me on this game is the discussion surrounding the pacing of the game.  I miss RTS games with pacing like Kohan, not exactly slow, but more deliberate.  This way, I can watch and enjoy a battle unfold without having to constantly click back and forth to queue more units to replace the ones I lost in less than a second of battle.  Or at least I can zoom out, deal with empire level stuff, and zoom in to assess.  The descriptions of how the task forces work is exactly what I was looking for too, less micromanagement.  I hated how I had to micromanage everything in Homeworld, and wished for a decent task force like feature.  There used to be a lot of real-time strategy/tactical games that went at a manageable pace, but lately it's all been twitchy click fests that remind me more of FPS than RTS.

And, of course, the real-time multiplayer is nice as well.

My question is, I notice a lot of these games tend to have fewer stars, but lots of planets or other objects in them to travel to.  While I'm sure it'll still feel epic, I was wondering if anyone has played games with lots of stars and fewer objects around each star?  Makes it feel more like a interstellar war, rather than a local battle in a starcluster.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:22:45 AM by Turtle » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2008, 07:57:41 AM »

I'm really torn on this one.

It looks cool, and I want to try it, but every other time I've tried a game like this I lost interest as soon as the scope of the game expands and they give you more to do.

It's usually because I just get lost in the game interface, don't know what to do next, and then stop playing.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »

Personally if you don't have it now I would wait a week to get a guage on peoples views and then decide. If it was based on beta 4 i'd probably give it a miss - but I am hopefull a lot changed between then and live to make this a worthwhile purchase.

Tals

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »

I loved beta 4...if they have improved it even more, I don't think people will be able to pull me away from the game smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 04, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »

Well....  It looks like today's the day.   icon_smile

Link to Brad's explanation of what to expect

Overall, this thread has really been great.  In retrospect, I did a pretty shitty job of keeping things updated after beta2, but that's pretty typical of me.  It's cool that some of the Ironclad and Stardock people found their way over to GT to participate as well.  There are lots of different kinds of betas.  This one had so much tester/fan participation, it's hard not to think of Sins as something we all participated in shaping into what it is.

I guess it would make sense to start a true impressions thread of the release version of the game, since it will be out today via Stardock Central.  For those who pre-ordered and hate links, be aware Sins should be available sometime before the day is over, probably closer to tonight from what I gather.

Congrats to all the guys at Ironclad (and Stardock) for reaching this point.  I hope the game turned out great and is ridiculously successful!

LD

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 04, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »

fwiw, saw this in the Best Buy flyer ($39.99 I think), ballyhooed as "Available Tuesday by 2 p.m." I empathize with Thin_J, though in my case about RTSs in general. Even the ones I really liked in recent years (Company of Heroes, and Act of War: Direct Action come to mind), it's the early, smaller unit action I enjoyed. Once it becomes a giant, "controlling zillion units" kind of game (pretty much every RTS boils down to that eventually), I get overwhelmed and lose interest (even when I can pause and give orders, which Direct Action unfortunately didn't include).

I don't think I ever played a "4X" game (I assume X-COM counts). I did buy all the Homeworld games, and the visual similarity here has drawn my interest even if it appears to be a different kind of game.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:53:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 04, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 04, 2008, 01:51:47 PM

fwiw, saw this in the Best Buy flyer ($39.99 I think), ballyhooed as "Available Tuesday by 2 p.m." I empathize with Thin_J, though in my case about RTSs in general. Even the ones I really liked in recent years (Company of Heroes, and Act of War: Direct Action come to mind), it's the early, smaller unit action I enjoyed. Once it becomes a giant, "controlling zillion units" kind of game (pretty much every RTS boils down to that eventually), I get overwhelmed and lose interest (even when I can pause and give orders, which Direct Action unfortunately didn't include).

I don't think I ever played a "4X" game (unless maybe X-COM) counts.

You want to try World in Conflict - that plays on a much lesser scale in terms of units being controlled.

Tals

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »

I won't be home until several hours after the full release becomes available...and then I'm going to watch Prison Break and Sarah Connor...but having spent a great deal of time with Beta 4, I'll look forward to posting about some of the improvements in the final game.

Is anyone available for some multiplayer action later in the week?  I'd be available pretty much any evening (Eastern time) if anyone wants to schedule a game!

-Autistic Angel
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

I guess it would make sense to start a true impressions thread of the release version of the game, since it will be out today via Stardock Central.  For those who pre-ordered and hate links, be aware Sins should be available sometime before the day is over, probably closer to tonight from what I gather.

Hopefully when someone sees it is available they can post up here so we can all goand grab it.Then agreed start a new impressions thread - this should be good

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

What's the multiplayer matchmaking like?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

Downloading now.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »

Downloading now!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

Ugh, I'm having stardock account problems.

Turns out I had an old stardock account back from galciv 1.  Unfortunately, I used the same email for a new account when I purchased SoaSE, and it didn't give me a warning or anything, it just let me create the account.

I still got the order confirmation, email and order number, but it's not shown on my SDC when I log in with my old account, and I can't even get into my new account if it even exists.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 04, 2008, 04:26:12 PM

Downloading now.

My downloader can kick your downloader's ass

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

Should I even bother try it on this old laptop? P4 2.4, 512mb RAM, old ass ATI laptop vid card?

I want to play so badly!!
Blair Fraser
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 04, 2008, 01:12:15 PM

Well....  It looks like today's the day.   icon_smile

Link to Brad's explanation of what to expect

Overall, this thread has really been great.  In retrospect, I did a pretty shitty job of keeping things updated after beta2, but that's pretty typical of me.  It's cool that some of the Ironclad and Stardock people found their way over to GT to participate as well.  There are lots of different kinds of betas.  This one had so much tester/fan participation, it's hard not to think of Sins as something we all participated in shaping into what it is.

Congrats to all the guys at Ironclad (and Stardock) for reaching this point.  I hope the game turned out great and is ridiculously successful!

Thanks guys! We couldn't have done it without you!
For the guys above with concerns over complexity etc: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=174536#1439921
Must return to work!!!

P.S For those of you with SDC problems, Stardock is working like crazy to get all the orders processed and fixed up.

P.S.S Galaxy Forge is up for anyone to start creating your own maps: http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/downloads.aspx.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:46:30 PM by Blair Fraser » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »

Quote from: Blair Fraser on February 04, 2008, 06:35:54 PM

For the guys above with concerns over complexity etc: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=174536#1439921
Must return to work!!!

Since Blair seems to be a little busy for some strange reason, I'll help flesh this out. slywink

The link goes to a "Is it easy to play?" forum post that gives a great overview of some of the great things they put into the interface to make it easy to understand and control what's going on even if the battle gets enormous.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »

After doing nothing more than looking at the achievements list... I am amused.

Space Ponies! indeed.  The description for that one said almost exactly what I thought when I read the title.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: