http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:15:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sing Star  (Read 864 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »

I don't think this is the audience for Sing Star, but I just found it for $25 at Target, and my god, is this game fun. It is basically Karaoke Revolution except with the real songs and the real videos for those songs. And the mics are a lot better.

The Sing Star Store has about 500 songs to download, including one of my favorites from last year, Hot Chip's Ready for the Floor.

It is quite a fabulous game, and where else will you have a chance to hear Ron singing Toni Braxton songs?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »

I was so close to picking this up the last time I went home.  Us Japanese are karaoke fanatics after all.  The only thing that stopped me is that I thought it might not be as good for my Japanese friends because the lyrics won't have the katakana lyrics which help Japanese people sing English songs.  It won't be $25 in Canada but I will definitely pick it up next time I  go home.  Especially with such a great song library.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »

I bought this a while ago, hoping the mics would be straight-forward USB.  They aren't.  I returned it.  But only because it's not my thing.  It seemed very well polished and cool, and perfect for fans of karaoke.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »

We have 4 of the Karaoke games and 3 of the Singstar games and my sister and her kids greatly prefer the Karaoke games.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 03, 2009, 03:30:01 PM

We have 4 of the Karaoke games and 3 of the Singstar games and my sister and her kids greatly prefer the Karaoke games.
Do you know why? Is it the cartoon characters?
I much prefer the master tracks and actual videos provided in Sing Star. I also like the song selection quite a bit more than in my 1 Karaoke Revolution Game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »

I was pretty adverse to this type of game prior to playing Rock Band.

Now that I own Rock Band, I question why I would need this game versus say... Rock Band.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »

We pretty much play Rock Band 2 instead of any of the karoake or sing star games now.

Part of the reason they prefer the KR games is because of the character creation and the sense of attachment, part is the party mode that mixes up different types of challenges a bit better than Sing Star's party mode.  The biggest reason that KR is the preferred is the better accuracy on the actual singing.  In Singstar it is very hard on the hardest difficulty to match up with a lot of songs whereas on KR it's not nearly as hard and the visual feedback is easier to follow.

My personal biggest complaint about Singstar is that many (MANY) songs make you sing the backup vocals AND the lead and you can't really do it.  There isn't time to breathe and sometimes there isn't even a half second pause between phrases eliminating any chance of getting a perfect.  We've played songs that are on both SS, KR and RB and they are almost always more fun to sing in KR or RB.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »

Forgot to add that the KR games got much better with 3 and especially KR-Party.  When we do play them we play mostly the KR-Party and AI version.

Most of the songs seem like they aren't covers too fwiw.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 03, 2009, 06:07:37 PM

I was pretty adverse to this type of game prior to playing Rock Band.

Now that I own Rock Band, I question why I would need this game versus say... Rock Band.

Well, Rock Band is kind of focused on, well, Rock. I'm guessing Singstar has other genres?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »

Has anyone tried LiPS?

When the promised patch comes out that lets us use the LiPS mics with Rock Band, I plan on picking that game up

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 03:12:01 AM »

Add our family to the KR list as well.  I prefer the cartoon people to the vids.  Also, I like the Duets in KR better.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »

I have an old one of these I think, but I also have the newer American Idol one.  If you play it on easy mode, it's very forgiving, and it's fun to make the judges (even Simon) keep saying nice things to you lol.  It's actually kind of disturbing but if you need an ego boost every now and again, it's a good way to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: