http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sin 2 to be released via steam  (Read 1395 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2005, 03:22:58 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 04:21:05 AM »

Unless they are planning just two really kick-ass six hour episodes they have got to be kidding.  The $20 price is nice until you realize you are just paying for a fraction of the full game.  Three episodes to hit the 18 hour mark and you are already at $60.  All that and they are thinking of cutting out the commonly cited expenditures of duplication, packaging, and distribution?

I'm all ready to climb on the anti-Steam bandwagon if this is the kind of shit that is coming down the pike.  I am all for the Steam digital delivery method, but fleecing gamers with stuff like this really rubs me the wrong way.

And one must ask, did the original Sin (ha!) really warrant a sequel?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 04:53:36 AM »

Nope. It was fun for a while, then as more mutants showed up the less the fun was maintained. Plus, I also watched the Sin anime. I promptly punched myself in the face for 30 minutes because that was more fun.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 05:09:22 AM »

I kept hearing how great Sin was, and remembered how much I liked the demo.

So a few years ago, a buddy finally found a copy for me.  I played it, and actually only liked the part in the demo- seemed to go downhill from there.  Also, the grapics were kind of dated, but I can get around that if the game is good; this one seemed to be missing that elusive 'it'.

Anyway, I couldnt play it to completion.  I was kind of far in on some rooftop level.  I couldnt find where the hell to go to, and couldnt figure out why I was still playing it, so I stopped.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 05:32:09 AM »

I played the original and loved it except for the respawning enemies.  I even played the expansion which was better but had (I think) the toughest end boss in any FPS I've played.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 09:40:47 AM »

I remember that end boss in the expansion. I think I cheated to complete it, one of the few times I've ever used cheat codes. The museum was a great level.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »

Im with all the others...the first part was fun like the bank and such but then it degraded. I ended up cheating to finish it just to see what happened.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »

I actually don't recall too much from the actual game although I know I finished it. What i do recall is the multiplayer which I found pretty fun. You could pick up these boots that allowed you to do these high jumps three or four times. I was one of the few people playing that seemed to make use of them. I would use them to jump over people as they were running at me and fire down on'em. So like a rocket jump without taking damage.

Good fun.

Really the only thing that was driving Sin was the Elexis character which looked like a bitchy slut version of Laura Croft. Back then bitchy sluts could go a long way towards a game purchase.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 08:54:06 PM »

Eh... I think it's fair value for the dollar.  Half-Life 2 was approximately 12-15 hours for over $50, so $20 for six hours is decent.  As long as those six hours are *really good*.

I do find it interesting that it's being distributed by Steam, as Half-Life was the game that pretty much made everyone forget about Sin (well that, and 10 minute load times...)
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 09:28:53 PM »

The main thing I remember from Sin was how you could 'hack' the bank computer using a CLI, and actually transfer money from other accounts to your own using that info at an ATM.

It never had any in-game effect, sadly, but it was kind of neat.  I actually hoped things like that would be used more in FPS games.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:24:33 AM »

I think the big thing to note here is that this'll be the first game to use the fully updated and tested Source engine, along with all its features like character animation and AI features.

Troika was working with a shoddy unfinished version of the engine that kept changing as valve moved closer to release.

I suppose all they really need to do is beef up the AI a lot more so that they'll survive longer than the combine fools did.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 03:04:48 AM »

If the game is goodthis is a non issue. I am trying to remember the last AAA FPS title that was more than 15 hours or so. Halo 1? I think it was 15-20 hours. I know Halo2 took me like 12 or so, and most of the other recent greats have been from 8-12. Hell, Max Payne 2 took no more than 8 hours or so and was worth every penny of 50 bucks. Half Life 2 was...12-15 hoursish?

So yeah, if Sin2 has three episodes at 6 hours with some good multiplayer and it costs me 60 bucks for 18 hours of quality, then I am all effing for it. If the engine is good (we know it will be with Source), the FPS action is solid, and each 6 hour episode is quality (the episodic thing increases the chances of each being good-make the release date for the first, then shift all your resources to the second, etc.).

Frankly I like it. Its bold, its new, and I have high hopes.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 06:35:45 AM »

I don't see the problem with 6-8 hours of FPS gameplay for $20 either. I just burned through Area 51 and it took maybe 6-7 hours tops which is becoming more the norm these days(why I rent these games mostly). Hopefully they will include some MP stuff( Sin CTF was one of the more fun MP games out there at the time).
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 11:40:56 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
If the game is good this is a non issue. I am trying to remember the last AAA FPS title that was more than 15 hours or so. Halo 1? I think it was 15-20 hours. I know Halo2 took me like 12 or so, and most of the other recent greats have been from 8-12. Hell, Max Payne 2 took no more than 8 hours or so and was worth every penny of 50 bucks. Half Life 2 was...12-15 hoursish?

Don't know how long it took people to beat Far Cry, but I think I put a good 20 hours into it.  That's the last AAA FPS I remember being long.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 03:05:22 PM »

Farcry depended on the difficulty level totally...

A Realistic run through, killing all bad guys, could take a LONG time and never feel frustrating cause it was so open ended.

I just started replaying farcry with the "K-9 Vision Mod".  Well worth replaying with this mod, guys.  It's a complete overhaul of textures and sounds.  Drastically improves the game sound and texture wise.  Though I was laughing at the camoflage pigs when i saw that=) rofl.

Some other good single player mods out too, some with new weapons designed for that scenario as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: