http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:23:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple KOTOR 2 Question  (Read 1287 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 05:50:05 AM »

Should I wait for the PC version? I just got the XBox version in a trade, had time to log in an hour of play. Its very good so far, I'm definately enjoying the little I have played (although for some reason no game I play is gripping me like they did about a year ago-something must be wrong with me-I have this undercurrent of boredom or a feeling of being in a rush no matter what I play), but the load times are not good, there is fairly frequent stuttering, and frankly, the PC version of the last game was much cleaner, less buggy, had much quicker loads, and suprisingly enough, was as comfortable to play on PC as on console.

Anyways, I have an early morning so I cant really play as much tonight, so I am going to wrap it up for now and wait for some responses. I can always trade this in and pay 25 bucks or so to get the PC version.

Thanks!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:20:35 AM »

The framerate really is pretty shitty at some points...and the PC version is right around the corner...I see all advantages point to the PC version of it.  I'm 25 hours in, myself, soooooo I'll stick with the Xbox version biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:37:42 PM »

I loved it on the XBOX.  Dolby digital lighsabering is fabulous.
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:32:25 PM »

I would wait for the PC version.

On the Xbox, I encountered at least a dozen annoying level and quest scripting problems, a couple places where I got stuck in geometry or fell through the level, and four crashes including a crash while saving. I got used to the long load times and framerate drops, but they definitely detracted from the enjoyment. There are serious difficulty and balance problems:  I found the game to be way too easy on difficult as a Weapons Master and its even easier as a Sith Lord. Last but not least, there are a few incomplete plot threads.

I don't know if these issues will be addressed in the PC version, but I think its worth waiting to find out.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 05:43:45 PM »

Man, I must be in the minority.  I have yet to come across one crash, messed up saved game, or real noticable bug or anything in 25 hours of play.  Sure, during one cutscene one of my party members all of a sudden died, but immediately jumped right back up (although with low health).  Am I just incredibly lucky or what?  Anyone else have issues?  ATB?

TheMissingLink on PSN
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 06:26:16 PM »

IF all else is equal (namely, it's not more expensive to get the PC version, & you don't have a home theatre system for your X-Box or something) I would wait for the PC version.

A LOT of people have bug issues with the X-Box version.  I got through ok, and it seems most people did, but there's still an unacceptable risk.  I had one big bug where the game kept repeatedly crashing where I went into a required area to advance.  Spent about a half an hour fooling around, and only advanced when I tried going in without any party members.  Plus there were a lot of small bugs that weren't show-stoppers but were annoying.

So I would wait, myself.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 06:33:14 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Man, I must be in the minority.  I have yet to come across one crash, messed up saved game, or real noticable bug or anything in 25 hours of play.  Sure, during one cutscene one of my party members all of a sudden died, but immediately jumped right back up (although with low health).  Am I just incredibly lucky or what?  Anyone else have issues?  ATB?

I'm with you in your minority.  Over 40 hrs of gameplay so far and not a single issue.  No crash.  No bugs.  No frame rate issues.  Nothing.  Just fantastic gameplay.  As a matter of fact I don't have trouble with any Xbox games.  Maybe it's because I dust and clean it regularly and I clean out old game save files.   smile

If I had one complaint it is that the words displayed when an alien is speaking (in non english tongue) don't stay on the screen long enough for me to read it and absorb it thoroughly.  I often have to go back to the dialogue log to read what I missed.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 06:36:26 PM »

Ok thanks for helping me out. I am going to put it up in the trading thread for a day or two and then probably just trade it in with some other stuff for KOTOR2 and a few other things I have been looking for. I think I will enjoy it more on the PC and that will help with my immersion factor smile

I am really looking for a game to get me that back into gaming, I hope it is this one...ever since my WoW fascination waned its been a struggle.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »

I had one corrupted game.

There were a couple of freezes that occurred but I don't know that that was a result of the game or the box itself.

I had no other issues.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 08:41:12 PM »

I completed the game with only minor bugs and no crashes on the XBox.  While it's possible (but not confirmed) that these issues will be cleaned up for the PC release, recent comments indicate the balance and difficulty issues others feel exist have not been addressed in the PC version, so I wouldn't base my decision on that.  

I honestly believe that many of the issues people have had with KOTOR I and KOTOR II on the XBox were really hardware issues rather than software issues.  First, later versions of the XBox use a different hard drive and DVD drive manufacturer - the early models seem to have more problems in general.  Second, the XBox is very heat sensitive and seems to have been engineered with a barely adequate cooling system.  It doesn't take much for them to fry their internal electronics due to repeated overheating, which brings the generic "dirty disk" error in increasing frequency until you get that on all disks all the time.  The only time I had any real glitches in KOTOR I, for example, was when I had been playing for about 5 hours straight.  All other KOTOR I and KOTOR II sessions I kept to four hours or less and encountered no issues.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 09:48:02 PM »

Considering KOTOR1 on the PC was better than on the Xbox, I figure the same will hold true for KOTOR2.  I'd wait and get it on the PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: