http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 02:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sim City V!!!!  (Read 2758 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »

Fi-na-lly!!!!!

Maxis recently stated they would be announcing something big next week at GDC. Now, German magazine GameStar has published the first picture of the game.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »

Thread at Neogaf with more pictures from the magazine article and translation of the article.

Damn, it's looking goooood.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

I have heard a lot good thing about Anno 2070 (86 metascore).  Just haven't tried yet, waiting for a Steam sale.  Hopefully Maxis is paying attention to the competition.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

Quote from: skystride on February 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM

I have heard a lot good thing about Anno 2070 (86 metascore).  Just haven't tried yet, waiting for a Steam sale.  Hopefully Maxis is paying attention to the competition.

Yes! I just heard, read reviews and saw screenies of that game last week. I'm too waiting for it too go on sale before pouncing on it.  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kztNWdhRdnw&feature=player_embedded

I look forward to inflicting many disasters upon the new Sim City.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »

Niiice trailer! Consider myself perked up. Look like they're rebooting the franchise and simply calling it 'SimCity'.. since 4 was quite a while ago. I look forward to mastering the perfect city next year.  nod
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »

Probably an Origin exclusive. Better get your torches and pitchforks ready!  Torches and Happiness!

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 06:53:46 PM

Probably an Origin exclusive. Better get your torches and pitchforks ready!  Torches and Happiness!

and every other building will probably need to be bought as DLC.  those nuclear reactors you saw in the trailer?  $3.50.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

Need to see some gameplay videos before I really get excited. They lost some credit after Societies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2012, 08:26:23 PM

Probably an Origin exclusive. Better get your torches and pitchforks ready!  Torches and Happiness!

and every other building will probably need to be bought as DLC.  those nuclear reactors you saw in the trailer?  $3.50.
EA will charge you a penny per SimCity person. Overpopulation could be expensive!  smirk

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 08:43:35 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2012, 08:26:23 PM

Probably an Origin exclusive. Better get your torches and pitchforks ready!  Torches and Happiness!

and every other building will probably need to be bought as DLC.  those nuclear reactors you saw in the trailer?  $3.50.
EA will charge you a penny per SimCity person. Overpopulation could be expensive!  smirk

May not be that far off.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »

Bah, if this is going to be an Origin exclusive I'm out. Too bad. It could have been a good game.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

Origin isn't nearly as good as steam, but honestly haven't found it that terrible ever since the re branding of it. Certainly isn't going to turn me off buying it, even if it would be nicer to have it on steam.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »

To me it's more about EA's attitude than about the quality of Origin. I refuse to support companies that treat me like shit, which means both EA and Ubisoft currently get the middle finger from me. I'm continually amazed at how many people proclaim that you should "vote with your dollars", yet almost nobody has the backbone to actually follow through. I do, and I will.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 08, 2012, 02:39:16 PM

To me it's more about EA's attitude than about the quality of Origin. I refuse to support companies that treat me like shit, which means both EA and Ubisoft currently get the middle finger from me. I'm continually amazed at how many people proclaim that you should "vote with your dollars", yet almost nobody has the backbone to actually follow through. I do, and I will.

I agree.....but its SIMCITY V.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »

I agree.  If you think that EA treats customers unfairly, then you have every right to withhold your money.  I know EA is generally a shitty company - especially as it related to their online play and forum posting policies - but those don't impact me so they don't bother me too much.  Origin isn't a great piece of software, but it's not horrible.  

I'm right with you on UbiFAIL and Stardock and I was a happy when the asswipes at JoWood went out of business.  I don't support those companies, though occasionally someone will buy me a game from one of them.

And yeah...but its SIMCITY!!!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:05 AM »

I guess you need to boycott Steam, too. Steam/Valve is known to treat customers like shit like locking people from accessing all of their game because of payment problem. Trying to get a customer support to answer a ticket in weekend? It is almost impossible with Steam. With Origin/EA, you get a reply within minutes.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »

Amazon's weekly game sale is DRM-free Ubisoft games  icon_razz
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on March 12, 2012, 02:48:05 AM

I guess you need to boycott Steam, too. Steam/Valve is known to treat customers like shit like locking people from accessing all of their game because of payment problem. Trying to get a customer support to answer a ticket in weekend? It is almost impossible with Steam. With Origin/EA, you get a reply within minutes.

Can't comment first hand on customer service issues with Steam but have heard the same.  I have had two issues out of three games with Origin though.  First was BF3 which was a clusterfudge to get installed and updated properly.  Granted I was partially to blame because of some missing file that didn't get installed properly during a windows update.  The second one was with getting SwOTOR registered and unlocked.   That one was more to do with volume of subs but would not have been an issue if things were properly communicated.  In both instances I followed the steps to contact customer service (not to big a pain) and chose the have a tech call me back option.  Both times I got a call back within 15 minutes.  Also, both times I was given a 30% off coupon for my troubles.   The BF3 tech was especially good and knowledgeable.  I could not believe he was tier 1.  Honestly, it was the best experience I have ever had dealing with CS on anything computer related.  Still not a huge fan of Origin but it has gotten better over the last couple months and at least I know the customer service rocks.

Now about that Sim City....

Haven;t played the last couple versions but damn if that doesn't look good.   I completely suck at these games but take great pleasure in eventually burning my failing city to the ground.  That'll teach um to say I suck at being Mayor!

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

just realized I have SimCity 4 Deluxe sitting in my Steam library, maybe it's time I played it biggrin

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 29, 2012, 03:52:01 PM

Quote from: skystride on February 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM

Yes! I just heard, read reviews and saw screenies of that game last week. I'm too waiting for it too go on sale before pouncing on it.  nod

In unrelated Sim City V news, Anno 2070 is 40% off on Steam  thumbsup
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

it will be sold outside of Origin but will require Origin to be installed, and a always on connection:

Lead designer Stone Librande confirmed that SimCity would be an internet-dependent experience. Players will need to be online on Origin while playing, even if that wasn't the point of purchase. The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.

Because I can,
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »

They've since corrected that to saying that you need an active net connection to start the game but that once you're in game you won't be affected if your internet goes down. Not that I personally consider that any better but figured some folks might.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 29, 2012, 04:33:47 AM

They've since corrected that to saying that you need an active net connection to start the game but that once you're in game you won't be affected if your internet goes down. Not that I personally consider that any better but figured some folks might.

Ya that was said a few weeks back during GDC
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »

New Sim City trailer!!! And it's looking magnificent. February 2013!!!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »

Want.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 05:47:50 AM »

Quote from: naednek on March 29, 2012, 05:29:24 PM

Quote from: Gryndyl on March 29, 2012, 04:33:47 AM

Ya that was said a few weeks back during GDC

That is far better than the D3 model...to be honest the Diablo rubber banding and server down issues are really hurting my overall opinion.  Really, really looking forward to SimCity V.  I still start up and play IV sometimes even now.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »

There will be no wrecking your city and then loading an old save. It's all in the cloud now, so no more loading of old games!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:59 AM »

Do not want.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 06, 2012, 01:28:59 AM

Do not want.

No big deal. From the same article:

Maxis clarifies on some misinformation out there: You can have multiple regions going simultaneously, and multiple cities within those regions. You are not limited to a single city, and you do not have to delete one city to start another.

So you can trash that one city and just move to another in another region.  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

beta signup.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 14, 2012, 07:35:41 PM

I'm weak....I signed up.   Stupid Origin...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »

I'm trying to sign up but it says it can't move my dxdiag files.

I'm in.  Apparently your dxdiag file name has to be unique.  No other user can have used the same file name so "dxdiag.txt" will only work for one person.  I added a bunch of gibberish to the title and it worked.
EA.   *Fist Shaking*
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:45:28 PM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 15, 2012, 05:41:50 PM

I'm in.  Apparently your dxdiag file name has to be unique.  No other user can have used the same file name so "dxdiag.txt" will only work for one person.  I added a bunch of gibberish to the title and it worked.
EA.   *Fist Shaking*

I don't think that's the reason.  I submitted mine without changing the title.  Probably a server hiccup.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 03:53:53 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 15, 2012, 09:26:34 PM

EA.   *Fist Shaking*

I don't think that's the reason.  I submitted mine without changing the title.  Probably a server hiccup.

It could be.  I found that answer from the EA boards, but I wonder if there is a cycle time involved or something. 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 16, 2012, 03:53:53 AM

EA.   *Fist Shaking*

It could be.  I found that answer from the EA boards, but I wonder if there is a cycle time involved or something. 

Considering that most beta's I've participated (and that's many) they all ask for the dxdiag.txt and I have never heard of anyone having problems with sending the file if the file was the same name as other people signing up.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 02:01:51 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 16, 2012, 04:36:41 AM

Quote from: Arnir on August 16, 2012, 03:53:53 AM

I'm in.  Apparently your dxdiag file name has to be unique.  No other user can have used the same file name so "dxdiag.txt" will only work for one person.  I added a bunch of gibberish to the title and it worked.
EA.   *Fist Shaking*

I don't think that's the reason.  I submitted mine without changing the title.  Probably a server hiccup.

It could be.  I found that answer from the EA boards, but I wonder if there is a cycle time involved or something.  

Considering that most beta's I've participated (and that's many) they all ask for the dxdiag.txt and I have never heard of anyone having problems with sending the file if the file was the same name as other people signing up.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point.  I'm just saying what the forums said to do over at EA and when I did it it worked.  http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8902062.page  This is the thread I got the help from and got it to work.  It could be a server hiccup.

edited again because I hate to sound confrontational.  Even on the internet.  sigh.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:48:25 AM by Arnir » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 02:08:13 AM »

Now at least one person is reporting the name change doesn't help either, anymore. The name thing might have been a temporary work around for a different issue that is recurring.

I'm curious, though, as to how the online/offline dynamics will play out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:32:13 AM by Arnir » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 04:26:18 AM »

You're not being confrontational, and I'm not trying to be either.

My point is/was that submitting a dxdiag report is a common practice in betas and I doubt that it would be practical to have each file to be named differently when submitting them.  As a managment standpoint that would be a nightmare.

What I imagine what happens when sending the file is that on their storage network/database they probably keep that file linked to the account that was created/existed for that beta application.  Meaning, your account is what identifies what system properties you have.

What I'm guessing could have happened is that when you updated the dxdiag file to EA/Origin, maybe there was something wrong with the server/path and it was sending that same file to the same repository as other people causing the problem (not you, but the website)

Either way, I'm glad it worked.  Hope to be your neighbor Tongue
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 04:32:17 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 18, 2012, 04:30:04 AM

You're not being confrontational, and I'm not trying to be either.

My point is/was that submitting a dxdiag report is a common practice in betas and I doubt that it would be practical to have each file to be named differently when submitting them.  As a managment standpoint that would be a nightmare.

What I imagine what happens when sending the file is that on their storage network/database they probably keep that file linked to the account that was created/existed for that beta application.  Meaning, your account is what identifies what system properties you have.

What I'm guessing could have happened is that when you updated the dxdiag file to EA/Origin, maybe there was something wrong with the server/path and it was sending that same file to the same repository as other people causing the problem (not you, but the website)

Either way, I'm glad it worked.  Hope to be your neighbor Tongue

I think you are probably quite right.  I think I've spent too much time with ex-girlfriends this last week.  It's got me skittish.  paranoid  I'm sure I'll see you in the game.  Look for the guy trying to use mass transit in a town of 25 people.   icon_biggrin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: