http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Storm - Sentinels  (Read 3377 times)
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 07:30:10 PM »

Well, I'm on the final mission of the game. It's been thoroughly enjoyable and engrossing. I'll probably immediately replay it and try a different route of team management.

You can buy the game from gogamer.com, just look for Sentinels - Gold edition.

Incredibly important tip - Buy the BHG Lazer gun as soon as it's available from the shop. I did it on a whim, and was extremely happy I did.
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 06:14:24 AM »

I just picked up Silent Storm over the weekend. Any good websites for these games?   I haven't found much so far.  I'm looking for maybe an online strategy guide or maybe some mods.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 08:42:28 AM »

Well, www.s2hq.com used to be THE place to go for news and help, but it's been experiencing some serious problems for awhile. I went to the nival forums myself to get pointers.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:50 AM »

Is it a significant upgrade over Silent Storm?  I got tired of that one pretty quickly for the lack of a decent story.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 07:44:56 PM »

The game changes a lot with the addition of resource management. It's a completely new game from Silent Storm. I wouldn't say that the story is better or worse... but I can't say I played Silent Storm for the story. I'd put it in the same story category as Jagged Alliance 2. But seriously, how much story do you need for a tactical squad based game?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 08:05:41 PM »

I would really like to pick this up....but from what I have heard you can't buy the expansion by itself...

marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 09:10:49 PM »

How long is the expansion?

I really enjoyed Silent Storm (I actually finished this one) and i'd love to play the expansion, but I'm kinda bugged about having to buy the first one again...
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 06:47:44 AM »

I am stuck in this sewer level in London. I can't seem to get into the room without triggering an event where the bad guys started planting bomb and detonate the whole level frown

Any pointers will be very much appreciated.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »

The expansion takes maybe 10-20% less time than the original took.

Belfong, unfortunately that level is sort've buggered. They've patched it, the patch has been sent to Jowood, but they haven't released it (ie, the key is going up the back way by disarming those mines... those mines that you can't disarm).

You can try the mission over and over and over and hope to finally get lucky enough to bums rush through it and kill the guy before he can plant too many bombs and then disarm the bombs he plants, or you can turn on godmode and game_noai  . Just don't forget to turn those off when you're done. That's how I finally got through it.

You have to enable the console though before turning on godmode and turning off the ai. To enable the console, go to your cfg folder and edit the autoexec.cfg file. Add the line wirbelwind . Save it. Now, load up the game, press the "`" key, which should be the key right below your "~" key. Type in godmode 1, hit enter, then type in game_noai 1 and hit enter. To disable those substitute a 0 for the 1.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 07:40:59 AM »

Quote from: "ROTC1983"
I would really like to pick this up....but from what I have heard you can't buy the expansion by itself...

My understanding is that you can't buy the expansion by itself, at least not the English version. But, I guess I view S3 as more of a sequel than an expansion, so I didn't really mind. I got a ton of mileage out of it. I'm going to play through again and not focus so much on training guys up to pilot PKs, which just don't play as big of a role, especially if you go the sneaky route.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 06:24:12 PM »

Are there the stupid panzerkleins in the expansion?

I loved SS but as soon as I ran into the first PK it got shelved for good.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 09:26:28 PM »

There are Panzerkleins in it, hence my post up above about PKs. smile They take up a less important role in S3 than in S2 though.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 10:54:59 PM »

Thanks for the link to SS2Hq, I never thought to use "SS2" in my searches, hehe.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 01:38:51 AM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
Belfong, unfortunately that level is sort've buggered. They've patched it, the patch has been sent to Jowood, but they haven't released it (ie, the key is going up the back way by disarming those mines... those mines that you can't disarm).

Thanks for the tip. I have stopped playing since I could not get through this level. I'll try to get back into the game. This is a serious bug indeed!!!

I do find, imo, that S3 is not as addictive as S2. I wonder why. Perhaps the novelty of the destructable terrain has dimisnished or perhaps I am jaded.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 01:48:31 AM »

I'm playing the first one right now. well actually I'm only playing through the demo though.  I've been searching on websites and so far I've been totally underwhelmed by the community support.  This game comes with an editor doesnt it?  So why haven't any complete stand alone mods been created yet?
Does the game editor not allow for that level of freedom?
I'm also a little wary of playing a game with these futuristic machines.  Dont get me wrong, I think that would be an interesting game on its own but I just dont like mixing my WWII and my scifi.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 02:07:50 AM »

There used to be a thriving a really cool community at www.s2hq.com . Then, someone stole a load of bandwidth from them and they ended up with a huge, huge bill. They had to mostly shutdown for awhile, and still aren't all the way back. The modding community was centered out of there. Once it's back, I'm sure you'll see some nice stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: