http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 10:15:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Hill Homecoming- Screw You!  (Read 1252 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:43 AM »

I am furious. I was really enjoying the new Silent Hill, despite lackluster reviews. It is one of the few games where I've had to turn it off because I was getting very creeped out, and decided to call it a night to marshal my courage to play again.

However, I've just reached <minor spoilers>..............................the sewers only to learn that in my inventory I have no steel pipe. And for those of you who remember,  you need a pipe to pry open a particular gate that guards a particular valve.  This then allows you access to a new area that was previously impassable.

So now I'm stuck, and the developers didn't even have the common sense to allow me to pry open the gate with a fireman's axe, or blast it open with my shotgun. Or climb over the top of the damned chain-link fence. No, I need a ^%$%^ steel pipe. And  of course they didn't bother to put one in the level.

I have three save slots- one in the hotel, one in the sheriff's office, and one in the sewer. According to the FAQS, none of these areas have a damned steel pipe. So I'm forced to start the game over again.

It is really shitty design to allow the player to travel half way through a game if he or she doesn't have the tools they will need for a later level, especially when you cannot backtrack.

Screw You, Double Helix!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »

Wow that's bad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »

sorry to hear that,it is a joke when crap like that happens

i will have to make a mental note of that,as the game still hasnt been released here in the UK(it was supposed to be released last september,which made me rush play through the first 5 games)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »

Are you sure you're just not doing it wrong? I just went through the first three pages of the Gamefaqs forum and I saw no such mention of a game breaking bug.  Someone did mention that the pipe and the crowbar are basically the same thing-just an upgrade. Is there anywhere among your saves where you can pick up a crowbar?
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »

I too was enjoying the hell out the game despite the usual Survivor Horror game mechanics, until I hit a point where I went almost an hour between save points, and kept dying because of the flawed combat system.

I can kick all sorts of human ass in COD4, but can't kill a zombie nurse with an axe??

I threw in the towel, thank god it was only a rental.

"Goonies never say die"
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 11, 2009, 11:26:48 AM

Are you sure you're just not doing it wrong? I just went through the first three pages of the Gamefaqs forum and I saw no such mention of a game breaking bug.  Someone did mention that the pipe and the crowbar are basically the same thing-just an upgrade. Is there anywhere among your saves where you can pick up a crowbar?

Good idea on the crowbar, but it doesn't appear until the section after my current location. The developers like kicking you in the balls with things like that......

I'm not the type of person to ever go back and replay a game, but I was really enjoying this Silent Hill. I'm probably going to put a note in the case that says "don't forget to grab the $#$%^ steel pipe, and keep verifying that it is in your inventory" and put the game aside until I forget the portions I've already played.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 03:25:42 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 11, 2009, 01:15:08 PM

I too was enjoying the hell out the game despite the usual Survivor Horror game mechanics, until I hit a point where I went almost an hour between save points, and kept dying because of the flawed combat system.

Can you tell me which area that was?
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »

I believe it was the Hotel.. Chapter 3 I think.

The frustrating thing was is that up until that point, I hadn't died once.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You basically get gang raped by 2 or 3 nurses in a small hallway.  That with lack of herbs made it impossible.  I tried it at least 4 times, before finally giving up.

"Goonies never say die"
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »

Ouch, and in that case you can't really just turn your light off and try to walk by them.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »

This is the reason why I could never get into a Silent Hill game, the puzzles make no sense and are so limited it how you solve them.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 11, 2009, 08:44:40 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
You basically get gang raped by 2 or 3 nurses in a small hallway.  That with lack of herbs made it impossible.  I tried it at least 4 times, before finally giving up.

I must be some kind of masochist.  I would try things far more than 4 times before giving up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 11, 2009, 08:59:22 PM

Ouch, and in that case you can't really just turn your light off and try to walk by them.

Ah, I know the area he is speaking of. You come around a corner and they are right in front of you. If you used all your ammo that is a difficult area. I still had pistol ammo, and 1 headshot can take a nurse down. Since they are so slow setting up the kill is easy. If you are forced to run that gauntlet you are in for a tough time. Firearms should definitely only be used on enemies like nurses and the smog creatures. Unlike previous Silent Hills, you are limited in the amount of ammo you can carry, so you need to use it sparingly.

The hotel really isn't that bad as far as saving goes. I'm not sure what happened to El-producto there. The hotel has 2 checkpoints and there is a save point on the 3rd floor that you can always return to. Even at your furthest point from the save spot you are only about 6 or 7 minutes away. However, I suppose if you are moving through the area in a linear fashion it can seem like a long drought, since there is no save slot as you go to the 4th and 5th floors. Luckily you can always backtrack and the enemies don't respawn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: