http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signed up for Gamefly  (Read 1916 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:58:44 PM »

Well... I took a chance and signed up for Gamefly.    I'm supposed to receive my first 2 games (for the trial period) today or tomorrow.   I chose Full Spectrum Warrior for the Xbox and Paper Mario for Gamecube.

I changed my account (which defaults to their 22 dollar plan) to the $13.95 plan of 1 game out at a time.    That should be sufficient for me... and it will let me avoid late fees.   If I want to rent KOTOR for an entire month to play it -- I can do it.   smile

Anyone else a member of this Gamefly thing?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:07:22 PM »

I did it for awhile.  It was great.  Don't know why I stopped really there were not any games for a few months and I decided to drop it.

Great service though.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »

MSD - is that $13.95 for each month or what? What are the details of your payment plan, specifically your credit card number, social security number, address, and date of birth? A picture of your wife's tattoo would also be welcome.  :twisted:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:12:29 PM »

slywink

The $13.95 is per month.   Unlimited rentals.   One game out at a time.

And I'll have to get a tatoo picture session scheduled with the wife.  slywink
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »

How long can you have the games out for? And does that encompass both console and PC or just console?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:19:13 PM »

TeH intraweb makes it easy to answer yur own questionzzz!!!!!!

http://www.gamefly.com/help/default.asp
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:17 PM »

Where do you live?  I found that the turnaround time to Massachussetts was horrible.  It'd take about 2 weeks to send a game in, and get it back.  That pretty much killed the one game plan for me, and even the two game plan.  They only have one shipping spot from CA, and the mail is really slow.  They also have no way to expediate turnaround, like informing them a game is on its way back so they can send out another.

I am trying Gamerang now, they have a warehouse in NJ as well as CA.  Unfortunately, the website isn't nearly as good as Gamefly's, and game selection seems to be less.  A lot more seems to be short wait games as well.  I'm not sold they are very efficient yet either.  Sent a game back last Thursday and it still hasn't been processed, but at least they sent out the next game when I told them of the problem.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »

I've beena member for a long time with the two game plan (I'm impatient smile ). And I love it.  Saves me an assload of money in buying marginal games that I would probably buy and play a few times.  This way I can try them and that's it.  Plus I save good money on the games I pay to keep.

Thumbs up from me.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

I would love to try one of these out, but I just can't see paying  for both Netflix and this. So my dream is that Netflix or maybe Amazon(please, please do this) will start offering movies and game all in one package.

LiveTAG: happydog
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
I would love to try one of these out, but I just can't see paying  for both Netflix and this. So my dream is that Netflix or maybe Amazon(please, please do this) will start offering movies and game all in one package.

Man if Netflix had it, I'd be on it like white on rice. I get next day service from them. Even so, $13.95 to have a game out for a month is a good deal. You can beat it, return it, and save $36 smile
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 04:49:33 PM »

I'm still quite happy with Gamerang.  I updated to the 2 game a month plan ($19), because as you'll soon find out one game out just isn't enough :-)

I chose Gamerang over Gamefly because the turnaround time (at least back then) was much, much faster - from the time I put a game in the mail to receiving the next one was often 2-3 days.

If you're the type of person who enjoys playing multiple games simulatenously, then I'd suggest checking out a rental service - it works out to be much, much cheaper than constantly buying games (although I still find myself buying a game every other week) and it gives you the chance to check out games you would normally pass over.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 05:08:05 PM »

You can have the game out for unlimited time.

I'm a bit concerned about the turnaround time since I'm in Georgia.   The email said 3 to 5 days.... so we'll see.      They shipped them the day after I signed up -- so they went out on Monday.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »

The email said 3 to 5 days
 That is for just one way though, right?  So, turn around time to get a new game, with weekends, etc., will be about two weeks.  The one game a month plan becomes pretty unfeasable.  Two games a month is okay, but you are really paying for one game at time to have.

My problem, is that for a lot of the games I want to mostly try and half play, I like the game rental service.  That means, I want to cycle through them fast, and Gamefly was a no go for that.  I'm hopeful of Gamerang.

It seems like the good games I will still buy, stuff like Halo2 or GTA.  So speed is critical.

I'd love Netflix to do it .  It seems that it is dumb for Netflix to not have done this, especially with the infrastructure in place.  Hopefully they will get on the ball.  Heck, even Blockbuster should do it.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »

There are no late fees with gamefly. I just canceled my account for a few reasons. The most important there are just too many good games I am buying in the next 3 weeks. Also, it took about a week from the time i sent a game out to get one back. I think its gamerang or something thats opening a center in MN and is about a few bucks less. This works good if I ever decide to do something like this again.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »

I just signed up the other day for GameFly...thursday last week I think and both the games I ordered got here on monday.  I ws psyched... now I don't have to purchase Fable or MK: Deception.  The only thing that sucked is not getting the instructions for the games.  But that can be fixed easy enough.  It going to save me tons...
osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 10:38:38 PM »

I used gamefly for about a year, and consistently had 3 day one-way shipping to/from So. Cal. and me in Columbus.  I'm convinced something happened a few months ago on their end, i.e. change in distribution methods, less staff, etc., because all of a sudden I was lucky to get 5 day shipping one way, and one out of every three was being reported lost by me (even though they eventually "showed up" at Gamefly).  Most times it was a 12 day total turnaround time.  I hope it works better for those of you that use it.  I've had much better luck with Gamerang.

I have to admit, I still go to Gamefly.com to check out upcoming releases, instruction manuals, etc.  Their website, at least, is head and shoulders above the other rental sites.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 12:46:03 AM »

Just received my game, so it took 3 days from shipping to receiving.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 02:15:05 AM »

Just looked at Gamerang, and they have a special for new customers, your first 2 months for $20 total.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: