http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 08:13:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Pirates! Question. Help Please  (Read 3643 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

How exactly do you sail against the wind?  IF the wind is blowing right to left and I need to go right, how do I do it?

I take my sails down put em up, change my angle etc, but can't generate any speed.  Is there a sailing/navigation trick to help?

Pretty much all cities to the east are virtually inaccessible because it takes me so long to sail to them.

Are there any indicators about tide/wind patterns somewhere in the game?  Other help appreciated too.

Thanks.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:18:43 PM »

There is a directional compass on screen that points which way the wind blows. And yes, when it blows against you and you're on the opposite side of the map, the wind isn't the only thing that blows.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:02:33 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
There is a directional compass on screen that points which way the wind blows. And yes, when it blows against you and you're on the opposite side of the map, the wind isn't the only thing that blows.

So no techniques or helpful hints then, eh? frown

Does the wind ever switch directions?
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »

Tacking (did I spell that right?) is how you sail when the wind is blowing from the direction you want to go...  Some ships even sail faster when tacking.

Sail at an angle to the wind.  Then when you have made some progress, change direction.

Say the wind is from the east, and you want to go east.  Then sail northeast for a while, and then change to southeast for a while.  It is a little slower, but it is a hell of a lot faster than sailing directly against the wind.

I apologize if you already knew this, but you wanted some hints, and that is how I learned to play the game way back in the 80's...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »

There are a bunch of different nautical terms for the relation of your ship to the wind, but in non-nautical geek terms:  the best approach is to try and cut diagonally into the wind, and as Doomboy mentioned, cut back diagonally as you sort of crisscross your way towards your desired point (tacking).  It's painful and slow for many of the ships in the game, but it's a lot better than just sailing straight into the wind. I didn't have the patience to tack in Pirates, so I normally just found something to do wherever the wind took me.

As illogical as this sounds, some ships actually travel faster with the wind at an angle behind their masts, rather than directly behind the ships angle of travel.  That's as nerdy as I'm going to get Tongue
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
Tacking (did I spell that right?) is how you sail when the wind is blowing from the direction you want to go...  Some ships even sail faster when tacking.

Sail at an angle to the wind.  Then when you have made some progress, change direction.

Say the wind is from the east, and you want to go east.  Then sail northeast for a while, and then change to southeast for a while.  It is a little slower, but it is a hell of a lot faster than sailing directly against the wind.

I apologize if you already knew this, but you wanted some hints, and that is how I learned to play the game way back in the 80's...

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: