http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shut up! It IS time to reveal your GOTY  (Read 3628 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:23:30 PM »

ATB's Top Game for 2004

Ninja Gaiden.  Nothing else I've played has even come close.  True, I haven't played KOTOR II, but I did play some of the other 'contenders'...Riddick, FSW...

Ningja Gaiden was a seminal gaming experience. A true masterwork.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:38:34 PM »

Halo 2.

I would place Ninja Gaiden in my Top 5, but not as my GOTY.

Other Honorable Mentions would be Ghost Recon 2, DOA: Ultimate, Burnout 3, and Chonicles of Riddick.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 12:49:46 PM »

Shadow Hearts:  Covenant

An absolutely fantastic game through and through.  Graphics, voice acting, story, battle system...everything was near perfect.  One of the few games I can honestly say I had fun from start to finish.

A couple close runners up:

-  Thief:  Deadly Shadows
-  Beyond Good & Evil (was released in 12/03, but I didn't play it until Feb.)
-  Burnout 3
-  Katamari Damacy
-  Growlanser Generations

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:54:24 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 3

Others (Both PC and Console):

Half Life 2 (Close 2nd)
Thief 3 (Not too far back either)
Paper Mario 2
Second Sight
Star Ocean 3
Ratchet & Clank: UYA
Jak 3 (Still in progress so it *could* move up)
Halo 2

Games I either haven't played at all or haven't played much of that would otherwise be likely contenders:

Pirates, SMT: Nocturne, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime 2, Chronicles of Riddick PC edition, LOTR: BFME, Shadow Hearts: Covenant
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:11:04 PM »

Chronicles of Riddick.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:35:57 PM »

I'll be boring and say Halo 2.

UT2004, Rallisport 2, and ESPN NFL are pretty far up the list, though.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 02:41:04 PM »

So many choices but I'm going to say

SMT Nocturne

Runner Ups: Half Life 2, WoW

Ascendent
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 02:59:45 PM »

1) World of Warcraft
2) Phantom Brave
3) Burnout 3
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 03:09:30 PM »

Every year the big name/big content games get picked for GOTY.  I'm going to go against the flow this year and pick Katamari Damacy.  It doesn't have deep, insightful gameplay.  It isn't going to change the world.  It's just a fun game with a weird premise, snappy soundtrack and fun fun gameplay.

Runners up:
Star Ocean Till the End of Time -- nice game but couldn't hold my attention due to the combat system
Pokemon FireRed -- I'm new to the world of Pokemon and this is a good introduction

Best Game I Played This Year wasn't released this year:

Shenmue -- one word: wow.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 03:31:33 PM »

This is tough since I own all the current generation consoles.  The games are just so different sometimes - like Cube games compared to Xbox games...

I think I have put the most time into Shadow Hearts: Covenant but Paper Mario is looking so soon (but I just started)

So I guess at this point in the year is has to be SH:C

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
This is tough since I own all the current generation consoles.  The games are just so different sometimes - like Cube games compared to Xbox games...

I think I have put the most time into Shadow Hearts: Covenant but Paper Mario is looking so soon (but I just started)

So I guess at this point in the year is has to be SH:C

Oh and while I am loving KoToR2 the bugs are pissing me off so much that it is dumped as a possiblity.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 03:35:04 PM »

La Pucelle: Tactics managed to grab me and never let go throughout the whole game - it helped me survive a summer without roomies.  So that is my console game of the year.  ESPN NHL is a close second with Halo 2 at 3rd.

UT2k4 is my pc goty, but this isn't pc, so whatever biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 03:49:49 PM »

ESPN College Hoops gets my vote. Solid in all ways, and in my mind, the best Basketball game ever.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 04:33:46 PM »

On consoles, probably Katamari Damacy, with X-Men Legends in contention.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 05:10:46 PM »

Here's some thoughts on all the 2004 games that I finished. I can't really pick a GOTY yet because there are so many 2004 games that I want to play that I haven't had time for yet. These games include X-Men Legends, Baten Kaitos, Growlanser, Star Ocean, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear 3, Ratchet & Clank: UYA. I'll get back to you in June with my final choice. If I had to pick a GOTY from the games that I've finished, it would be Paper Mario with Ninja Gaiden as runner-up.

Sly 2 – Band of Thieves –- I have to say that this game certainly felt fresh for a sequel, since the gameplay has been significantly changed. It’s a longer game with greater focus on stealth and less on frenetic platforming and mini-games. Some of the changes are for the better, as I don’t think anyone will miss some of the more esoteric mini-games, but the game suffers somewhat by a lack of really tight platforming levels. The stealth gameplay is fun, but there isn’t variety to accommodate the game’s longer length. The best part of this game though is its through-the-roof production values. The cel-shaded graphics are fantastic, and the voice acting, character design, and animation show just how much love Sucker Punch has for its characters. Top notch game.

Grade: B

Ninja Gaiden –- This is the first 2004 game that I played and it is still the best. Great graphics and great gameplay. Punishingly difficult, but fair. This game has the fastest, most frenetic combat I’ve ever seen. Lots of people complained about the camera, but given how fast the game moves I was more surprised by how well it kept up with the action. It isn’t perfect but it’s the best camera I’ve seen for a game of this type. The game is marred only by a truly juvenile storyline.

Grade: A

Thief: Deadly Shadows –- Great game design, terrible execution. Honestly, I wonder about the heights Ion Storm Austin could have reached if they just had better programmers on staff. Atmospheric game with a tight story, great voices and sound saddled with a horrible engine. Clipping, stuttering, and frequent lock-ups really mar this game, but the absolute killer is the horrific AI and pathfinding. I can't count the number of times I reloaded simply because an enemy became stuck in a doorway or on some other obstacle.

Grade: C

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes --  I started out loving the game, then grew to hate it, and eventually grew to love it by the end. I think a lot of my problems with the game had to do with preconceived notions of how the game should control, rather than how it did. Still, the game features a completely over-the-top, self-indulgent story that is really hard not to like even after it does a Thelma and Louise off the Cliff of Believability to crash and burn in the Valley of Stupidity. The boss fights are the highlight of the game.

Tales of Symphonia --  A pedestrian and overly-long story drags down a really fun RPG with a great battle system and some slick cel-shaded graphics. One of the few party-based action RPGs where I felt that I had enough control over all members of the party. X-Men Legends developers should take notes from this game. One of the few RPGs where I could spend hours just leveling up because I was having so much fun with the battle system. I also really appreciated the overland map. Ultimately, the game starts to drag at the end because the story can't sustain the game's massive length. Still, those flaws are minor with the battle system and fun dungeons.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door -- Hands down my favorite game of the year. Surprisingly deep battle system coupled with a really interesting world and highly developed and diverse characters to interact with. The story and dialog is frequently hilarious and the graphics are a real treat. I can't recommend this game enough. It's really that good. It's only minor flaw is some backtracking toward the end, but that's a minor quibble given the game's other stellar qualities. Highly recommended.

Grade: A

Halo 2 -- I'm really disappointed that the single-player game didn't fix many of the problems in the original game. Too much cookie-cutter design and the story takes a turn for the utterly ridiculous. I can't wait for the sequel to find out how the aquatic plant of doom will try to destroy the universe. Still, it's not to say it isn't a good game, because it is. Many of the action set pieces are phenomenally intense. The problem is having to trudge through the bland parts of the game to get to them.

Jak 3 -- A good game with perhaps a little too much to do. Wildly diverse gameplay that sometimes makes the game feel more like Fusion Frenzy than an action/shooter/platformer. There's just not enough platforming, and some of the mini-games just aren't that interesting or fun in comparison to the other portions of the game. Still, Jak 3 is rescued by a hilarious story that's well worth playing through to the end to see.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within -- A game where the first two hours seem specifically designed to push you away. Once you get beyond the opening however, there is some truly GREAT platforming and environmental puzzles that are just a joy to play through. Unfortunately, there is so much backtracking that the same puzzles no longer become GREAT the fifth time I had to navigate through them.

Dishonorable Mentions -- The following 2004 games I abandoned because they weren't compelling enough to finish. Front Mission 4, as the mech customization was fun but the story was pedestrian and there was surprisingly little tactics once the battles started. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow's single-player game felt like an expansion pack. I want to finish this at some point. Great multiplayer. Only multiplayer game I've played for more than a few minutes. [/B] Chronicles of Riddick[/b] Engaging story and atmosphere, but I abandoned it because trying to play stealthy on the hard mode was too frustrating. May restart the game on normal at some point.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 07:31:59 PM »

This may change, since I haven't finished any of these games, but so far, my GoTY would be Star Ocean : Til The End of Time, with Shadow Hearts : Covenant and Paper Mario as runners up.  It was an amazing year for RPGs.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »

Without a question, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

My smile still stays on.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 09:17:21 PM »

WoW
Far Cry
Paper Mario
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 11:12:35 PM »

Ninja Gaiden was my console GOTY, too.  That was an absolutely phenomenal game with some of the best free downloadable content of all time, and it *still* has its hooks in me to this day.

-Autistic Angel
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 11:15:54 PM »

I would have to say Shadow Hearts - Covenant.  Such a great great great game.  I loved every single moment it took me to play through it.  Fantastic music, good dialogue, good story, beautiful cgi, great fighting system - it had it all.  My roomies make fun of me because I'm never going to trade that game away.  But I know, sometime when I have a hankering to play a really fantastic console RPG, that will be it.

Plus the Karin character?  I almost, almost connected with her so much that I really did care about her outside of the game.  She was a great character indeed.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 11:24:47 PM »

XBox:
Burnout 3
Runner up: Ninja Gaiden, ESPN 2k5, Rallisport Challenge 2

PS2 :
Metal Gear Solid 3
Runner up: Final Fantasy X (finally got around to playing it this year), Sly Cooper 1

Gamecube :
Paper Mario
Runner up: Tales of Symphonia
(lol @ no good RPGs on the Gamecube...)

GBA:
Astro Boy
Runner up: Metroid Fusion, Saberwulf

PC:
WoW
Runner up: Half Life 2, Call of Duty:United Offensive, BFV

Paper Mario was by far the most fun of all of them, but if I was forced to choose to take one game with me on a desert island it would have to be WoW.  Assuming that island has broadband access of course...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 11:32:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

PS2 :
Metal Gear Solid 3

Whoohoo!  I get to keep my head!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 11:40:36 PM »

Not so fast... I haven't gotten very far in it yet, so there's still a chance it could really start sucking.  But prospects are good :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 11:47:42 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Not so fast... I haven't gotten very far in it yet, so there's still a chance it could really start sucking.  But prospects are good :-)

I'm not worried- it just gets better as it goes along.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 01:44:02 AM »

Riddick, the only Console FPS done right.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 01:46:46 AM »

Oh boy, let's see. This is hard. 2004 has been one of the most amazing years in gaming ever, imo.

Ninja Gaiden.
Chronicles of Riddick.
Halo 2.

I think CoR's single player beats the pants off of Halo 2's, but Halo 2 on Live is pure gaming goodness. Ninja Gaiden has, imo, the best gameplay of any third person action game, ever.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:45 AM »

You know, I really should pick up Ninja Gaiden some time.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 03:39:49 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I'd recommend renting it.  The difficulty (of both the AI and the camera) can really turn you off to the game.  It sure did in my case.  Plus it's pretty short, and you'll know right off the bat whether you want to play it again or not.

Katamari Damacy gets my vote for console game of the year.  It's one of those rare titles that transcends its medium and becomes a true work of art--and it manages to do so without pouring on melodrama or "deep emotion."  Plus it realizes its length and only asks a $20 owner's fee.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 03:54:04 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I'd recommend renting it.  The difficulty (of both the AI and the camera) can really turn you off to the game.  It sure did in my case.  Plus it's pretty short, and you'll know right off the bat whether you want to play it again or not.

Hasn't it dropped in price yet?  I try to avoid entering Blockbuster if at all possible so I'll probably just buy it, though I am leary of the difficulty level.  First time I've heard it called short, though.  Most seem to think its quite a long game for its type.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 04:30:42 AM »

Ninja Gaiden for any system for me. Great game. Still playing it today. Plus I got to play the old games with it smile.

I dont know if FFTA was released this year for GBA or not. If it was, that is by far my handheld one.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »

Chronicles of Riddick.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 08:01:40 PM »

ESPN NFL 2k5
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »

What got me laughing was Gamestop's RPG GOTY nominations, three out of the four were Cube games, Just crazy. Unfortunately those three great game won't get enjoyed by as many people as they should be.

I don't generally have a game of the year, I actually finished a record number of games this year.

I really like Xmen Legends, but it's no GOTY.

I don't know, I'll come back.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2004, 11:27:29 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Hasn't it dropped in price yet?  I try to avoid entering Blockbuster if at all possible so I'll probably just buy it, though I am leary of the difficulty level.  First time I've heard it called short, though.  Most seem to think its quite a long game for its type.

Well, it's a 20 hour or so game. If that's short for an action title, then I s'pose Lord E. is right. I found it quite lengthy myself. Plus, if you have Xbox Live the hurricane packs add MAJOR replay value. They also add a new camera (though I personally had zero problem with the way it was).

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2004, 03:21:36 PM »

Console GOTY = Psi-ops!

PC GOTY = Half-life 2.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2004, 04:59:33 PM »

Console = Ninja Gaiden
PC = World of Warcraft (followed VERY closely by H-L2)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »

game of the year: metal gear solid 3: snake eater (a sequel that i thought - unlike a few others that'll remain nameless - left all expectations far in the dust)...

game i personally had the most fun with: final fantasy: crystal chronicles (playing with my wife, who went from total video gaming novice to major butt-kicker, had a lot to do with it smile )...

special mention: shin megami tensei: nocturne (the only (not-so) traditional rpg i was genuinely impressed by)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: