http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:23:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldn't having 20+ years of video game experience make me "decent" at them?  (Read 2191 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »

Seriously.  Multiplayer whatever I play I suck at.  I lose.

Shouldn't 20+ years of playing video games give me some amount of an advantage?  I mean, I play kids who were just born when I was playing the NES and SNES and yet they smoke me at whatever multiplayer game I play them at.

Is video game expertise like something people are naturally "born" with, like being masterful at playing music on an instrument or athletic ability?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »

According to your logic, most athletes should be at the top of their game after a 20 year career.  That is exceptionally rare.  Let's face it-it's time you were put on waivers, old man.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »

I do agree its partly a natural ability to do certain things well and couple that with nothing better to do with your time and you have Gamer-gods.

I've seen people start golfing who in their first year look more like pro's than someone who's been playing for years...
I think it goes for everything. The thing that makes it hard is if you really want to be best or great at something and no amount of time or practice seems to make you better. Life I guess.

Two ways to go. Get use to being fodder for someone else's cannon, or play SP only. I seem to have chosen the latter more these days.....what a whimp I am... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »

First of all, depward does not suck at games, multiplayer or otherwise. In fact, in the completely intangible "talent" pool he is in the top tier of the many people I have played with over the many years of my life wasted in multiplayer. I understand his frustration completely, and I feel like that too frequently when playing multiplayer, but seriously bro-you do NOT suck.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »

You should focus on just one game. If you had just played NES SMB for 20 years you would be a god at it now and we would all watch youtube in amazement at your speedruns. So forget about all those other games you see and pick "the one". While it might not be fun, its about discipline and dedication if you want to be good.

<Hides his undisciplined backlog as he says the above with confidence>

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »

weren't you a small god at UT2K4?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

You must, like me, accept the fact that you are above average at best.  thumbsup
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2007, 03:43:44 PM

Yeah, weren't you a sm-wait, what? What the hell?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:28 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on December 01, 2007, 04:32:45 PM

I guess I was mistaking him with someone else  icon_redface

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:45:40 PM »

When you play a particular game online these days in many cases you are playing people with much more experience than you at that particular game.  I think the only way to get "good" at one game is to focus on it exclusively.  But in this day and age of 2 or 3 great game releases per month on average, who want's to do that?  I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not win most of my games when I play shooters online.  I just take joy in the small victories.  A nice kill or a good little bit of strategy here and there.  I used to me mega competitive in online football games like Madden and NFL 2K.  But these days I just don't have the time to learn the nuances every year.  So I take my losses with a grain of salt.  Back in the days when I played multiplayer Madden or NFL 2K5 for hours each day I took every loss like an attack on my manhood.  Not anymore.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 01, 2007, 04:45:40 PM

When you play a particular game online these days in many cases you are playing people with much more experience than you at that particular game.

Very true.  I played the hell out of the original UT when it first came out, and was pretty damn good.  Nowadays, I'm lucky if I get a 10:1 death to kill ratio in any FPS game.  And console shooters?  Fuggedaboutit.  There's far too many good games to put a ton of time into just one.

Although if FF XII had multiplayer battles, I'm sure I'd kick some ass...  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 01, 2007, 05:17:50 PM

Although if FF XII had multiplayer battles, I'm sure I'd kick some ass...  slywink

lol, with what...some super elite gambit setup?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2007, 04:39:28 PM

Quote from: Fellow on December 01, 2007, 04:32:45 PM

I guess I was mistaking him with someone else  icon_redface

That brings back memories.

I played the game on Zaxxon's server for 7 days.  And I even wrote a guide for the game offline!

<3 UT2k4

TheMissingLink on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »

I sucked at Space Wars, Pong and Flim-Flam (pong with a tiny joystick!) in the arcades in oh, maybe 1974-75. Arcades are dead now, but I still suck at videogames generally speaking -- at least now, it's not in public.  icon_wink So don't feel bad. smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »

I started kicking ass in games at age 8 in 1977 and still can do it handily today.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 08:58:07 PM »

You suck at gaming. Quit.  icon_wink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »

I could pwn your ass at Counter-Strike beta 6.  Anything past that and I just haven't concentrated the time to really dominate.  I tend to play single-player games for the most part these days. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 09:10:15 PM »

It just depends how long you put into any given game and what you learn about it.
I remember in Ratchet: Deadlocked I was ranked 2nd in Capture the Flag for months, then people started cheating and I lost inerest in the game. I knew everything about everything in that game, every glitches, every tactic.
And thats because I put tons of time into it.
Most games I play I can become really good at them in just a few days.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »

The key is, try different types of games.  I used to be really, really good at counter strike.  But, I decided it just wasn't for me and switched to more strategy games, or action games that were slower paced.  For anything fast paced, I like games that some kind of support role.

Then there's also tactics, which thankfully I'm good at.  Despite giving up a lot of my twitch reactions, I can make up for some of that with tactics and positioning.

Also, try more co-op games.  I'm really big into co-op because everyone wins, there's no need to be as good as the other human team, just good enough to have fun with friends.  I think co-op is the big new "next-gen" feature these days besides character interaction, so we'll be seeing a lot more of it.  Games like Borderlands would be right up your alley.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:23:33 PM by Turtle » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »

I feel the same way.  I play videogames constantly, and have for years.  And I still suck at them.  Online, I'm consistently at the bottom of the leaderboards for any given game.  Even single player I find that games that people say take 6 hours (e.g., COD4) take me at least twice that.  Luckily my sense of self-worth isn't caught up in my K/D ratio <cough ATB cough> and I don't get discouraged.  Some people get pissed and quit; I just try harder - and still suck.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »

I rarely play online due to sucking hard...
Even in single player, I use cheat code or takes me loooong to finish the game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 01, 2007, 08:25:13 AM

Seriously.  Multiplayer whatever I play I suck at.  I lose.

Shouldn't 20+ years of playing video games give me some amount of an advantage?  I mean, I play kids who were just born when I was playing the NES and SNES and yet they smoke me at whatever multiplayer game I play them at.

Is video game expertise like something people are naturally "born" with, like being masterful at playing music on an instrument or athletic ability?

Wow. That's like thinking masturbation is going to make you a better lover. Go do something more productive with your hands. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »

You know my nephew is a really good FPS player, but even he's weary of online play. During the 3 years that he lived with me, he flew through a slew of PC and XBox FPS's with fast completion times. What turned him away was his experiences at high school where he learned that playing online was the major preoccupation of some of his classmates; even sometimes skipping classes to play. So just be aware that your head might be being handed to you by a teenager with youthful, twitch reflexes who's invested a helluva lot of time honing their skills. There's also some people that just have natural abilities that make them excel at FPS's.

I'm also weary of online FPS's due to not being young anymore and not having the split second timing I had 20 years ago. On the other hand, when I sit down for offline multiplay with friends and colleagues I'm often surprised at how much more adept I am. There's thankfully getting to be more and more alternatives as in co-op play and better team play. I think if you're serious you need to search out the right groups such as fellow GT'ers or some of the groups for players that don't fit in the standard FPS demographic; i.e. old and decrepit players like me. smile I've noticed a number of postings for such groups in the official forums for various FPS Games.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:39:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 10:37:10 PM »

I'm pretty decent in single player, but suck royally at multiplayer games.   

I buy alot of games for mp, but quit after just a few sessions because i suck bad and it's frustrating.  I'm trying to resist the forum effect with alot of games that people are having fun in mp.   Now i refuse to buy anything thats built for mp and hardly rent anything like that as well.   I only get games now that excel in single player..... ie: Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, Bioshock, etc.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 11:04:57 PM »

My father who is 55ish plays online FPS' all the time.  He finds it quite amusing whenever he as a grandfather kills some high school/college age 'kid'. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 03, 2007, 11:04:57 PM

My father who is 55ish plays online FPS' all the time.  He finds it quite amusing whenever he as a grandfather kills some high school/college age 'kid'. 

It's impressive that at his age he can compete online in FPS's. Not so much impressive that he still has the reflexes, but that he's in an age group that had very little exposure to video games in their youth. I mentioned in my post that I'm old, but your father has some years on me and I can rarely boast about taking down a young hotshot. So what group of players would you say your father falls in:
"Doesn't mind having his head handed to him often" or, to quote myself, "people that just have natural abilities that make them excel at FPS's" ?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:47:39 AM by kronovan » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:27 AM »

Oh he's definitely in the 'doesn't mind having his head handed to him' category.  He belongs to a clan and they have fun playing together so, that's what is really important to them.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

I can think of two genres where having more experience should enable you to smoke the young'ns:

wargames and hardcore flight sims

experience should beat youth most every time smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

Quote from: raydude on December 04, 2007, 05:21:34 PM

I can think of two genres where having more experience should enable you to smoke the young'ns:

wargames and hardcore flight sims

experience should beat youth most every time smile

You're dead on about hardcore flight sims. A few years back when I was still playing F4 and IL2 I joined a squadron of members that were generally 35 years or older. We went up against a lot of squadrons and had a very good kill ratio. Just Learning optimal energy management in flight sims alone is a skill that can take years to perfect. Not to mention the time and learning it takes to get your gaming rigs perfectly tuned with all the necessary rudders, pedals, throttles, headsets, video card, etc...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »

This is exactly why I don't usually play online games.  All those years of wiping out the Kilrathi, defeating Sith Lords and crushing the minions of hell and I still cannot hold my own in MP game play.

However.  For some odd reason I play, enjoy and am really good at Team Fortress 2!  I love playing that online and I do so quite a bit.  And I also play random strangers and not just my brother and son.  I can see playing TF2 forever.

I've also been dabbling in Halo3 online, but mostly with my son and his friends.  They utterly own me.  Although, I am slowly learning.  ninja

I can't figure out why I love TF2 and play it online and yet I won't touch the likes of the Tom Clancy games, Gears of War and even Halo3 online.  Go figure.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »

I suck at everything.  But I don't take nearly anything seriously enough to care much.  I enjoy mp games primarily for two reasons:

#1: I love playing games with guys from the forums that I know.
#2: I usually have really funny stories of the retarded things I do resulting from #1.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 04, 2007, 05:49:28 PM

Just Learning optimal energy management in flight sims alone is a skill that can take years to perfect. Not to mention the time and learning it takes to get your gaming rigs perfectly tuned with all the necessary rudders, pedals, throttles, headsets, video card, etc...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Huh. What?  Tongue

But seriously, and I don't mean this arrogantly: I'm better than I expected I would be in MP shooters.  I'm nowhere near the best, but I'm definitely above average- much to my surprise and delight.  It's just one of those things I guess.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on December 04, 2007, 06:01:19 PM

I can't figure out why I love TF2 and play it online and yet I won't touch the likes of the Tom Clancy games, Gears of War and even Halo3 online.  Go figure.

You are a fascinating man Shifty. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »

I had one night at Halo 3 (actually, it may have just been one match) where I still sucked, but for some reason I was able to kill Pete Rock over and over again.  I dunno, maybe he was on my team or something.  But I take comfort from the little victories.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: