http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 05:38:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Nintendo save the new Zelda for the Revolution?  (Read 3585 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »

I want to play Twilight Princess as much as the next person but is there really any reason to release it for the GameCube this spring?  I think they should suck it up, retool it for the Revolution and make it a launch title.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 03:42:59 PM »

Nope, I think they should release the last Cube title this Spring.  If it hits for Revolution, I'll never get to play it.  

*waves TiVo remote around*  Just not feeling it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 03:55:39 PM »

I don't think there is any doubt that, at this point, it's the right business move for Nintendo. But, I will be irate if they make it a Rev title.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »

I think you'd see some fanboys revolt...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Nope, I think they should release the last Cube title this Spring.  If it hits for Revolution, I'll never get to play it.  

*waves TiVo remote around*  Just not feeling it.

KD - you don't own a Gamecube?  I figured that someone who runs a gaming website would own all main console systems.  And you don't plan on getting the Revolution??? :?

If true, why not?????

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:25:46 PM »

I own the Cube.  Sadly, it has gone really underutilized.

As for the Revolution, I'm hoping some of my staff are duped into buying it.  I'll be playing the hundreds of games on the PS3 and 360 while the Revolution languishes with its 1st party titles.  I'd bet this generation we'll see a 3 to 1 ratio of PS3 games to Revolution games.  In short, I see Nintendo keeping with their long-standing support model.  They've just cut themselves out of the port market all but entirely.  Before the fanboys look to crucify me, explain why a developer should spend the extra cash to revamp the controls for a TV remote and a single thumbstick solution?  Explain how you'll be playing fighting games on that?  I've heard all about the fan-made ideas about snap-on steering wheels etc. but NINTENDO has not committed to such a thing.  I'm sure I've made somebody cry by this point, but to really drill my point home, flip over your NES and look at the unused ports.  Flip over your SNES...yep, more unused ports.  Flip over your 64 (after you take out the very underused memory upgrade) and look at the unused ports.  Nintendo innovates - no doubt.  It is what they do AFTER the sale that has me certain that I'll be a hard sale.  

Or as our President would say:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:29:40 PM »

I'd be wary of the switch over, only because so much time has gone into developing the game for the Cube's controller. I know that the Rev will have add-ons to make the Rev Stick more like a standard controller, but it still worries me.

Plus, I can't imagine that it would be a graceful carry over, since the game has been designed with the Cube's abilities, and limitations, in mind. Too much time could be spent making the game upto "next gen" snuff. Polish the game and release it on the Cube.

It is a shame that it had to come so late in the system's life cycle. Nintendo should have it as a bundle title right off the bat to grab some more system sales.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 06:42:48 PM »

Zelda will make them money with people who already own the Cube, and as can be seen they certainly don't have a problem makeing new Zelda games for different consoles.  They may as well put it out, then make a new one for the Revolution.  

I don't seem much advantage to moving it except to sell Revolution consoles, but they could just as easily make a new title for the Revolution.  Why waste all the work already put into the Cube version?

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »

Given Nintendo hasn't released a lineup for the Revolution yet its difficult to say if they need Zelda for the launch.

From a financial standpoint I would think Nintendo has a pretty good idea of how much money they will make off of a Cube release. They know how many Cube units are currently out on the market as well as the sales data from Windwaker to help them estimate the return. I also imagine the positive feedback they have gotten over the demonstrations and playable demos indicate it will be a success on the Cube. I'm thinking profit for a Cube release.

The Revolution is an unknown. Its a radical depature from current consoles so its quite possible it won't even sell as well as the Cube.

So there is the sure bet or the risky one.

As a gamer I would hope they release it on the Cube as the game looks damn good but if they release it for the Revolution it would be draw to purchase that console.

Edit: Well I see Farley managed to sum up what I was saying 2 two paragraphs when I managed to drag it out to 5. So to further sum it up I share the same thoughts.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 07:14:48 PM »

What Farley and Crawley said- Twilight Princess is already likely to sell 1.5+ million on Cube which will surely be a nice boost to Nintendo's earnings portfolio in the quarters prior to Revolution launch.  Delaying it to the Revolution might mean increased system sales or it might backfire and just end up with far less sales overall if Revolution doesn't get good initial market penetration.  It would take something like 10 million Revolution systems sold to push 2 million Zelda units for Revolution (using the 5:1 Xbox/Halo ratio).
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 07:53:08 PM »

I thought all the speculation with the Revolution controller was that Nintendo would be releasing "shells" to make it similar to the current Cube controller so that 3rd party ports can be easily played on the system.

If that's the case, wouldn't Zelda easily support such a configuration?  Makes the whole controller argument somewhat useless until we know exactly what's going to be released, controller wise, with the system.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »

Nah. Release it now, make an assload of money before everyone throws away their Cubes. I wouldnt leave it to chance on the Nintendo Gimmick-olution.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:09:46 PM »

I'm going to buy a Revolution.  Primarily to play all the Cube games I missed.  Plus I guess I'll be able to catch the few first-party Revolution games that come out.  Don't care one bit about downloading old stuff on it.  Woohoo.

Zelda looks neat.  Hope the gameplay is as impressive.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 11:18:27 PM »

yeah, since this will play on the Revolution anyways, no real reason to wait.

I am, however, interested to find what they are adding. I felt WindWaker was cut off at the calf and it's reassuring to know that we're getting the whole shebang this time.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 11:34:43 PM »

I thought all the speculation with the Revolution controller was that Nintendo would be releasing "shells" to make it similar to the current Cube controller so that 3rd party ports can be easily played on the system.

Bingo...speculation.  Show me where Nintendo has agreed to this.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 12:32:43 AM »

I'm sure I've made somebody cry by this point

*sob!*...

while i understand what warning's saying, no, i don't think nintendo should, or will, re-tool twilight princess exclusively for the revolution (tho a revised/upgraded version, if it could be done reasonably cheaply - maybe simultaneously? - would be nice). it will leave a hole, launch-title -wise, but (for a recent example) who saw lumines coming? odds are, there'll be something there...

i still believe nintendo's got a pretty solid lock on the 'family with young kid(s) market: their products are relatively cheap (both to buy & develop for), durable, &, except for the occasional killer 7, all-age friendly (while not condescendingly so in most cases). i'd like to think there'll always be room for nintendo, & ironically enough, as both the ps & xbox continue to offer more'n'more 'mature' subject matter, i think it's all the more likely there will be...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 03:24:07 AM »

"I thought all the speculation with the Revolution controller was that Nintendo would be releasing "shells" to make it similar to the current Cube controller so that 3rd party ports can be easily played on the system."
You can just plug a Gamecube controller into the Revolution and use that.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 04:18:59 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I thought all the speculation with the Revolution controller was that Nintendo would be releasing "shells" to make it similar to the current Cube controller so that 3rd party ports can be easily played on the system."
You can just plug a Gamecube controller into the Revolution and use that.

But it will remain a mediocre control device on the Revolution, right? biggrin
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »

Bingo...speculation.  Show me where Nintendo has agreed to this.

Here. From Reggie's recent speech:

We know freehand control also raises a logical question: won't an advance this dramatic cause difficulty for the porting of games between systems? The answer is little difficulty at all. If you want to retain your original control scheme, we make that easy by supplementing our new control system with a traditional controller expansion, if you will. It's a classic looking device that will hold the basic Revolution controller and allow game manipulation in traditional ways -- if that's what the developer chooses. In short, you can have it both ways. Familiar or revolutionary. One hand or two. Today's games or tomorrow's.

Full speech is here.

-John

warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 01:42:42 AM »

Well I was sorta right.

Back in September, Nintendo announced: "Our development team has decided to take extra time to add some incredible elements." These were elements that Miyamoto and Zelda director Aonuma said were "simply far too good to leave out." And they weren't wrong.

NGC can exclusively reveal that Twilight Princess will be playable on the forthcoming Revolution using the upcoming console's unique controller...

...However, when you insert the disc into your Revolution, you'll be given the option to use the Revolution's controller, with all the advantages this will bring.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »

YES

They need a HOT launch title and that's the ticket.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
i don't think nintendo should, or will, re-tool twilight princess exclusively for the revolution (tho a revised/upgraded version, if it could be done reasonably cheaply - maybe simultaneously? - would be nice)

sometimes i scare myself...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »

First, I just have to say that Knightshade made me cry into my Mario and Luigi pillows while swaddled in my Zelda sheets in the pale glow of my Metroid lamp!   :cry:  :oops:  :cry:

... *ahem*

In all seriousness  :wink: I have to say that I believe that Twilight Princess should stay on the Cube with maybe some "hooks" that'll open up additional features or something on the Revo.  If only because I'm impatient and don't want to wait another year or two while Nintendo were to retool the game for the Revo.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »

But, perhaps the biggest reason for the delay has now been revealed by NGC, a UK magazine - Twilight Princess "will be playable on the forthcoming Revolution using the upcoming console's unique controller." It's still coming out on GameCube, but when the disc is inserted into the Revolution, you'll be able to play it using the Rev's remote.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5921

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 10:09:37 PM »

I'm sure I'll get a Rev, if for no other reason than it being Nintendo.  Plus, if I can play my GC games on it, I can get rid of my GC.  No reason to keep two devices when one is backward compatible.

Off topic, but will PS3 be able to play PS games?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 10:32:10 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Off topic, but will PS3 be able to play PS games?

I believe it will be.

-John

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 12:18:59 AM »

The PS3 will play PSOne and PS2 games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 10:56:11 AM »

I didn`t think at first I`d buy a REV. But, if it has a nice low price and some good launch titles I`ll grab it easily. I thought the DS might be gimmicky when I first heard of it, but wow was I SO wrong.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2005, 03:52:20 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
But, if it has a nice low price and some good launch titles I`ll grab it easily.

How does every single Nintendo game ever made sound?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "Harpua3"
But, if it has a nice low price and some good launch titles I`ll grab it easily.

How does every single Nintendo game ever made sound?

Sounds old.

Tongue
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 06:52:03 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Here. From Reggie's recent speech:

We know freehand control also raises a logical question: won't an advance this dramatic cause difficulty for the porting of games between systems? The answer is little difficulty at all. If you want to retain your original control scheme, we make that easy by supplementing our new control system with a traditional controller expansion, if you will. It's a classic looking device that will hold the basic Revolution controller and allow game manipulation in traditional ways -- if that's what the developer chooses. In short, you can have it both ways. Familiar or revolutionary. One hand or two. Today's games or tomorrow's.

Full speech is here.

Except he doesn't address the real issue about ports - namely the fact that games designed for much more powerful and multi-processor systems will not be easily portable to the Revolution with it's one processor, lesser memory, and less-capapble graphics solution.

The Revolution will not be about ports.  The question is what third party support they will get - my guess is that it will be token unless Nintendo hits a homerun with the controller and some game that has mass appeal.  Take the limited third party action we saw on the Gamecube and then subtract all the games that were just ports from other systems and what you have is a much smaller software selection.  Say what you want about quality but I work in a game store and parents have a hard time looking seriously at the Gamecube for their kids when the section is a third the size of PS2's.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »

I am not getting the impression that Nintendo is looking to be the #1 console system.  I get the impression they are looking to be profitable, while at the same time doing their own thing.

Mass appeal seems to go for things like your yearly release of whaever flavor of sports game.  Then there are the few successful 'floating' franchises which can sell (like Resident Evil, or Final Fantasy).  But I don't think having movie games or whatever is exactly the path to having the 'best' console.

Sure, you can play that game (no pun intended) if that's what you are into; Sony obviously has a lot of clout in that respect, since it is also involved in both the music and movie industry.  And MS doesn't mind having a platform for games, since it already has years of experience making a platform for applications.

Blah.  I wrote more, but it was just the billionth statement that "Nintendo is making money".  I guess my point isnt that they are making money for the sake of making it, but rather for the freedom it gives them to keep making the kind of games they want.  It also allows them to experiment; when you can cover your costs with a low amount of sales, or just offset the loss with a very successful game, it gives you a lot more room to make new and innovative games.

Aren't people always saying they wish companies would make different kinds of games?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2005, 01:19:40 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Except he doesn't address the real issue about ports - namely the fact that games designed for much more powerful and multi-processor systems will not be easily portable to the Revolution with it's one processor, lesser memory, and less-capapble graphics solution.

Oh, no argument from me that that is a big concern. I was merely stating that the new controller would hopefully not be a detriment to 3rd party porting.

I think Nintendo hopes that their "souped up X-Box" will be good enough for these ports to work in a non-HD environment. I'm somewhat dubious.

Ultimately, as you noted, to guarantee themselves 3rd party support, they need some killer apps with the new controller that gives them a larger % of the installbase than they have had in the previous 2 generations. Then even if the Rev can only do Pong graphics, they will get the 3rd party support. It all comes down to whether playing with the new controller is as fun as Nintendo claims and prays it will be. I'm somewhat dubious.

-John

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »

I think that as long as unique/exclusive 3rd party games make money, they will keep getting support.

The problem with the Cube was that no one bought ports or even exclusive 3rd party games unless they were hyped to death and even then the user base barely moved on them. It was just ODD. It's a damned shame too because I think people missed on some awesome games, and it's a shame too!

Now that Nintendo is claiming, with developers saying the same thing, that development costs will be significantly cheaper for the Revo., I hope we will A: See more exclusive games from 3rd parties, and B: see more games that try new things or aren't afraid to push boundaries.

Personally I can't wait to see what the Killer 7 guys do with the system. They have the style, presentation and story down, maybe a different controller will help them discover gameplay!

So, back to the pseudo subject, the elements for greater 3rd party support are there, Nintendo just has to convince it's userbase to buy these games in order to create more support. I think that if we get a system at $149, games at $49 or less(which is a shame that this is considered cheaper), and we have several good launch titles from Non-Nintendo developers then we may, at least, see early 3rd party support. Right now that's a lot of BIG ifs, but it'd be neat to see if Nintendo can be relevant again.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62348

Nintendo has dismissed claims that long awaited GameCube title The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be playable on the Revolution using the wacky old "freestyle" controller.

"The article in the January edition of NGC Magazine is pure speculation.

"Nintendo have made no new announcements regarding The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. We can however confirm that the game is still in development and that it will launch on Nintendo GameCube in 2006."

So much for that.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »

Looks like Zelda: Twilight Princess might be pushed to November.  Possible Revolution launch title?

Link
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 11:31:42 PM »

if there's a single game i'm willing to wait out any'n'all delays for, it's this one, because i want it to be every bit as big & beautiful as i'm just about certain it will turn out to be...

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 11:47:15 PM »

So is there anything worthwhile coming out for the GC this year, or is Nintendo just waiting for the Revolution at this point?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
So is there anything worthwhile coming out for the GC this year, or is Nintendo just waiting for the Revolution at this point?

Bingo!

Waiting on the Revolution and pushing the DS seems to be their focus.

Unless you count Chibi Robo.  I don't.
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »

Lego Star Wars II
as well as other stuff

[edit] Hmmm... Ghost is going to be on GC?  I had no idea.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: