http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:31:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i stick with Zelda TP?  (Read 1900 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

Got Zelda for the Wii. Just finished the Forest Temple. Thing is, i'm pretty bored with the game and really have no desire to continue. I don't even have anything else to play now. I heard all the hype about Zelda, but it just seems boring to me. I also was never a consoler during Zelda's early days (pc gamer) so i don't have the nostalgia element. The game also has a 'kiddie' feel do it too.

Is it worth trying to get through this or does it stay sort of bland, boring and childish until the end?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »

If you don't like "kiddie", don't play Nintendo's main franchises (other than possibly Metroid).

Me, I love the Zelda titles, and while I haven't played much further in TP than you, I've loved what I've played. *shrugs* To each their own.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »

i enjoyed zelda tp pretty much up til the end,i loved the whole wolf thing as well

but,if you really aren't having fun after the forest temple then i guess you may have to let it go

how are you with past zelda games?,for me this felt very much zelda

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »

It doesn't really change much from where you are.
The only good thing is at the end, the TP changes to her real form. :goth_drool:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »

I positively *loved* Twilight Princess from start to finish.  No game is perfect, but the complaints I have about the game seem so brief and insignificant compared to all the great things that they're not worth mentioning.  I think it's the best Zelda game I've played!

But I am not you, and if you're really that bored by the game so far, I can't recommend continuing.  It's not like Jedi Knight II where the game play suddenly takes a sharp turn after the first act; Zelda environments may grow more intricate as you gain access to more abilities, but the core style of play doesn't change much.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »

You're about at the point I gave up because I was also bored and I definitely did not like the Wolf portions.  I really tried to like the game, but you can only try so hard before it becomes pointless.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 17, 2007, 04:02:28 PM

You're about at the point I gave up because I was also bored and I definitely did not like the Wolf portions.  I really tried to like the game, but you can only try so hard before it becomes pointless.

Yeah, i'm at that point. People raved so much, i figured i must be missing something. But I think it's just one of those things that won't appeal to me. I never played any other Zelda game b/c i've always been a die hard PC gamer who looked at consoles with scorn and derision since the day i packed up that old 2600 slywink
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:23:56 PM »

I am about 42 hours into Zelda TP and I have loved the experience so far. Without knowing why you found it boring, it is hard to know if later portions would be better for you. Basically the game just keeps opening up wider; you get new abilities, new places to explore, new items, and new story elements. The gameplay doesn't change, but it gets deeper.

I don't find the game kiddie at all, but that is just me. I really like the wolf elements as well. I think the Wii controls really add to the experience too.

Perhaps you would enjoy RE4 more? I have started playing it a little bit and so far I like it, although I am finding it challenging and definitely a more mature experience. I decided to go back to Zelda to finish it up first though.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

I have never been able to finish a Zelda game.  It's one of those things I want to do someday but I've never managed it.  The kiddie stuff doesn't bother me (stay far, far way from Zelda The Wind Waker by the way) but I just lose momentum, get lost, wander around trying to find the missing person, object or whatever it takes to make the game move forward.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »

I've had a hard time connecting with this Zelda game, myself, but I love the others (even Wind Waker, though the end-slog was a bit much).

I will say that my interest grew once I picked up
Spoiler for Hiden:
the spinning disc that you ride.
  I don't know why, I guess that just felt innovative.

I think my problem may stem from an increasing concern with all Nintendo games.  I'm getting tired of reading all the voices.  I think Nintendo needs to take the plunge at some point and lock onto a voice for each of their characters.  The Mario characters already have voices, really.  It's not that hard to do.

My child just turned 4.  She's reading, but not at the level required by most of these supposedly child-geared video games. 

If Nintendo's really trying to make their games pick up and play by anyone, they're going to have to stop making lazy game players read.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 17, 2007, 04:45:18 PM

I think my problem may stem from an increasing concern with all Nintendo games.  I'm getting tired of reading all the voices.  I think Nintendo needs to take the plunge at some point and lock onto a voice for each of their characters.  The Mario characters already have voices, really.  It's not that hard to do.

DING DING DING!!!  We have a WINNER!  that was another thing that detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »

Quote from: warning
The kiddie stuff doesn't bother me (stay far, far way from Zelda The Wind Waker by the way) but I just lose momentum, get lost, wander around trying to find the missing person, object or whatever it takes to make the game move forward.

I developed a strict rule after my experience in A Link to the Past that has served me well through every Zelda game that followed: always play through a temple/dungion from beginning to end in a single sitting.  They're always centered on a specific logical theme and laid out in a way that your path is deliberately paced as you think you way through, and I find it very difficult to get back into that state of mind if I take a long break right in the middle.

I also thought that Twilight Princess was very good about making it clear where you should be headed.  It was a refreshing change after the periods of aimless wandering in Wind Waker where I had to sail around manually chartering all the islands and such.

-Autistic Angel
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 05:20:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 17, 2007, 04:51:11 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 17, 2007, 04:45:18 PM

DING DING DING!!!  We have a WINNER!  that was another thing that detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

It would be cool having voices but I can just see it now:  "OMG Link sounds like a dork!  What were they thinking?  That's not how I imagined Links voice to be!  They RUINED the Zelda franchise!  The voice acting is deplorable!"

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »

You guys are talking as if they've never put a voice to Link and Zelda.

I guess he sounds like a whiny teenager, and is a bit of a pervert.

Link: "Looking good, Princess!  Especially from this angle!"
Fairy: "I told you, you should have put on a robe!"

And later:
Link: "Sprite you're only 3 inches high!"
Fairy: "What, you don't like short girls?"

Link: "Saved your life again, kiss me."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:39:52 PM »

Dude, if they put up an english cartoon with english text subtitles only, it never would have flown.

Wait, did it EVER fly? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »

The kiddie part isn't horrible, although the 'tee-hee' of your Twilight Guide is annoying. I'd like to be able to bitch slap her. I know, i know, she's supposed to be a sort of dark mischievous pixie type thing.

I don't feel lost, if anything, it feels linear. I just got the
Spoiler for Hiden:
air boomerang
. But so far, its only to be used on certain puzzles. Maybe the fact that there is only a set way to kill bosses or solve puzzles also detracts from it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »

It does get better; (with more items and combinations and hidden stuff to find) just not a whole lot different than right. Now.

So I'd say no, don't bother sticking with it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 07:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 17, 2007, 05:20:46 PM

It would be cool having voices but I can just see it now:  "OMG Link sounds like a dork!  What were they thinking?  That's not how I imagined Links voice to be!  They RUINED the Zelda franchise!  The voice acting is deplorable!"

Link actually doesn't have any dialogue in the games. 

I'm generally fine with the lack of voice acting the Zelda games but TP was the first time I thought they would benefit from it. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »

My hope is that TP's lack of voice acting is due to its cube roots. I hope the next game in the series will have voice acting (sans Link of course). With Metroid Prime 3 apparently having voice acting for dialog, it gives me hope.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 17, 2007, 07:47:18 PM

Link actually doesn't have any dialogue in the games. 

yeah, he just has that same look over and over, like the Hobbits.....

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 01:31:38 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 17, 2007, 10:17:29 PM

My hope is that TP's lack of voice acting is due to its cube roots.

What does math have to do with it?  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 03:18:55 AM »

My hope is that TP's lack of voice acting is due to its cube roots. I hope the next game in the series will have voice acting (sans Link of course). With Metroid Prime 3 apparently having voice acting for dialog, it gives me hope.

I thought the same thing with Wind Waker and the N64.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 04:37:27 AM »

True but with the cube's smaller disc size, generally the audio got compressed or cut down. With the increase in disc size, without any real increase in video storage requirements since the Wii is basically the same as a cube graphically, I would hope that storage for audio voice work would no longer be an issue. (If it ever was.)

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »

With Metroid Prime 3 apparently having voice acting for dialog, it gives me hope.

Once again, in true Nintendo fashion, while everybody else will have voices, Samus will be completely quiet again.

It's a Nintendo thing. All of their core licenses (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) have no voice acting for their main characters (short of grunts/yells/whatnot). Miyamoto has gone on record that he wants them to remain that way. Let the gamer decide what exactly they sound like.

It's not space limitation or anything (remember back in the N64 era when Star Fox 64 had full voice acting?). It's all done by choice.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 01:41:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 18, 2007, 01:21:36 PM

With Metroid Prime 3 apparently having voice acting for dialog, it gives me hope.

Once again, in true Nintendo fashion, while everybody else will have voices, Samus will be completely quiet again.

To be fair, it's not just Nintendo.  While I don't necessarilly care for the format, lots of games have silent protagonists- everything from Digital Devil Saga to Half Life. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 02:27:48 PM »

I approve of keeping these long standing protagonists silent. But, I would be in favor of having everyone else have spoken dialog like it supposedly is in Metroid Prime 3. So Link could remain silent, but hopefully everyone else (including Zelda) would speak. Actually, in this case even Link could be voiced if they want since it's basically a different Link in (most) every game.

-John

unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »

I actually prefer when the other characters act as though you've said something, even though you never hear the protagonist speak.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 17, 2007, 04:36:34 PM

I have never been able to finish a Zelda game.  It's one of those things I want to do someday but I've never managed it. 
Yes.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 18, 2007, 01:41:09 PM

To be fair, it's not just Nintendo.  While I don't necessarilly care for the format, lots of games have silent protagonists- everything from Digital Devil Saga to Half Life. 

Dr. Gordon never speaks? I thought he talked.

In Elder Scrolls IV there is no protagonist voice (thus far) ... just grunts.

unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 18, 2007, 04:43:03 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 18, 2007, 01:41:09 PM

Dr. Gordon never speaks? I thought he talked.

In Elder Scrolls IV there is no protagonist voice (thus far) ... just grunts.

Freeman never said anything in HL, I don't know about HL2.  But in HL the NPCs would just act like you actually spoke.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable
But in HL the NPCs would just act like you actually spoke.

Did they?  I thought it was all like, "Now, I know what you're probably thinking Gordon, but tearing holes in the fabric of reality is really quite safe...."

The protagonist in System Shock 2 was another quiet one, as I recall.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 09:39:13 PM »

He did talk to Shodan at the end, though.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »

I liked the ending of TP but the ride there was mixed. I enjoyed it but I've found Ocarina of Time to be far more enjoyable while covering, essentially, the exact same ground. I agree with the single play through per dungeon but I'd still say TP was pretty good but never really grabbed me. I'm glad I played through the whole thing but it was, on the whole, "meh."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: