http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:50:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I get a PS3 for Christmas?  (Read 2380 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:49:08 AM »

???

What are the current thoughts/opinions on Sony's magnum opus? I'm debating picking this up for Christmas now that it's slim and $299. I'm curious about the Uncharted series and of course God of War. But is it worth my money?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:23:35 AM »

Yes, grab one at Best Buy tomorrow morning for the doorbuster with free Little Big Planet: GOTY Edition and Ratchet And Clank Future: A Crack In Time $299.99.

Those two are great games as is the Uncharted series.  As a first year PS3 owner, it's amazing how much the console has improved.  Online play is still hit or miss, but overall it's a great console that's lived up to its potential.  Blueray is nice too.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:32:42 AM »

and don't forget the best accessory purchase you can make.

and the second best.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:18:12 AM »

As long as you're not planning on playing any of the major cross platform games online with it I'd say it's a no brainer. I adore mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »

I'm perfectly happy with my first-generation (60GB) PS3 model. Yeah, all my cross-platform games are on the 360 (or PC), but for the exclusives, I've been quite happy with it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »

I've had mine for almost a year, and I love it.  Never had another console before this.

I've played some very enjoyable games exclusive to the PS3, and some great games purchased through the PSN.  It's a great Blu-Ray/DVD player with that Bluetooth remote linked above.  And now that Netflix users can "watch instantly" movies through the PS3 (requires a free disc that Netflix will send you on request), I love it even more.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on November 27, 2009, 06:18:12 AM

As long as you're not planning on playing any of the major cross platform games online with it I'd say it's a no brainer. I adore mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

why shouldnt he plan on playing any of the major cross platform games online?? Personal preference, I'm sure. I play more online on my ps3 than on my xbox, as does most of my friends.

Lots of good stuff for the PS3, and more goodies on the way - I'd say sure, everyone should!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »

Considering my shelf contains 25 PS3-games I'd consider good at the moment, I say yes, purchase a PS3. smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

This is the first "Should I buy a PS3" thread that we've had that was actually a rhetorical question.  slywink

**edit**Oops sorry I started at the first reply!
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »

I just got a 120gb slim for my birthday.  I really like the system, especially as a blu-ray/media streamer. 
I can't say too much about games, as I've only played some demos but I don't really like the controller.

"Goonies never say die"
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2009, 05:32:42 AM

and the second best.

If you already have a universal remote you might want to get the Nyko remote instead.  It will allow you you use your current remote with the PS3.  Much better than having two remotes.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

Looks good to me.  I'm trying to get one myself.  I like my Wii (and I'm apparently one of the few here who does icon_confused) but we want a Bluray player and I want more gaming options.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

The only major knock I have against the PS3 (and it's a purchase-killer) is that I absolutely loathe the PS3 controller. The 360 controller is a million times better than the PS3 controller, IMO.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 27, 2009, 02:08:09 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2009, 05:32:42 AM

and the second best.

If you already have a universal remote you might want to get the Nyko remote instead.  It will allow you you use your current remote with the PS3.  Much better than having two remotes.

Or.. If you have a Harmony remote as I do - you could always go for one of these: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/5732&cl=us,en

Great addition.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 27, 2009, 03:53:35 PM

The only major knock I have against the PS3 (and it's a purchase-killer) is that I absolutely loathe the PS3 controller. The 360 controller is a million times better than the PS3 controller, IMO.

its a question of habit, thats all

A new one
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

Don't let that be a purchase killer by any means.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Roman on November 27, 2009, 03:56:06 PM

Or.. If you have a Harmony remote as I do - you could always go for one of these: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/5732&cl=us,en

Great addition.

That is certainly nicer but also a lot more expensive.  It is $60 vs. $20 for the Nyko product. 

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 27, 2009, 03:22:33 PM

Looks good to me.  I'm trying to get one myself.  I like my Wii (and I'm apparently one of the few here who does icon_confused) but we want a Bluray player and I want more gaming options.

I'm the other one.  We bought a PS3 for the Bluray, and stayed for Arkham and RE5.  smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »

Best games of this generation are on the PS3 imo.  And the deals they have today on PS3's with the multiple games are out of this world.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »

I would say no, but it looks like the consensus for you is yes, so I'm outnumbered here. I owned at least one since 2006 and sold it 2 weeks ago or so and haven't regretted it a bit. My most played game on it? Panzer General, yes, Panzer General, the old Playstation 1 game. There just wasn't anything that grabbed me on the system, and the great games were on the 360 also, and that is the system I prefer (by a longshot). As a media server/Blu-Ray player, it is good, but I just think the 360 is better in almost every category, and Blu-Ray players have far surpassed what the PS3 gives you as far as playback goes.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »

the ps3 is controller is a bit too small and a little too light, imo. i prefer the 360 as well, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »

I think that it depends on how you plan to use it.  As a combo video game system / bluray player, I think that it is a pretty good deal. 

However, keep in mind that bluray discs are more expensive than regular DVDs.  Netflix also charges extra to add bluray (it was only $1 extra a month a few months ago), but the wait times for bluray discs seemed longer than for regular DVDs.  In the end, I felt that the bluray picture quality difference on my 37" Sharp Aquos at 1080i wasn't substantial enough compared to upscaled DVDs, so I dropped the bluray feature from my Netflix account.

As a console video game system, you just have to look at the games catalog and decide if there are enough games you want to play to justify the cost.  The Uncharted games are great.  I don't know about God of War though, they are the same as the PS2 games with better visuals.  If you have already played them to death, you may want to pass.  There are lots of other great PS3 games though.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:49 AM »

Go for it! NOW! Get that LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet deal, I wish they had that deal up here in Canada, I'd buy a second PS3 if they did!

I purchased my PS3 slim about 2 months ago and the only regret I have is not getting one sooner. I took it to the very extreme and even sold my 360, because I couldn't stop playing my PS3. I loved the PS3 so much I invited some friends over who had never played a PS3 before and I showed them all my favorite features and kind of put a "PS3 clinic" on for them, played some 4 player LittleBigPlanet! (Such a great game) and they all went and bought PS3 slims as well. I really don't know why I hadn't purchased one sooner. I wish I had time to play all the great games. Like I've said I have owned a PS3 for about 2 months and I own 13 games for it.

I believe the PS3 controller is fine, it is basically the same as the 360 one, the one analog stick is reversed and that is all. Sure the 360 one weighs more or whatever, but I do really like the lightness of the PS3 remote. I've also been using the PlayStation controller for a while now, as I had a PS1 and PS2. So I'm quite a custom to it.

The online isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. For a free service it does the trick for me. I have lots of friends who come over and play games and when they aren't over, sometimes we find the time to play online and that runs fine as well. I have never lost connection well playing online and recently I have been playing Resident Evil 5 online for up to 4 hours at a sitting. Just need to beat 6 more missions on Professional for a Platinum! My first Platinum, awe, I can't wait.

The media server streaming is insanely easy to set up and it runs perfect. I have been watching many The Office episodes. The music and photo's stream great too, and you can use streamed photos as your wallpaper on your PS3, just by saving them to the HD.

Blu-Ray is great. I have watched a few of them now and my favorite was The Boondock Saints(1). It looked completely amazing, especially for an older movie re-mastered. You could see the pores in the characters skin. Each strand of hair on teir heads! Amazing.

I also like to browse the internet from my TV.

Go get one!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:49 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 27, 2009, 04:49:08 AM

???

!!!...

i'm going with either 'follow your heart', or 'shit or get off the pot' smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 27, 2009, 03:56:42 PM

I disagree... I've been using the PS style controller since 96, so I am definitely in the habit of using it.  But the 360 controller is (with the exception of the d-pad) the superior controller.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »

Quote from: Laner on November 28, 2009, 03:02:30 AM

Quote from: Razgon on November 27, 2009, 03:56:42 PM

I disagree... I've been using the PS style controller since 96, so I am definitely in the habit of using it.  But the 360 controller is (with the exception of the d-pad) the superior controller.

I think it depends on the size of your hands. The PS3 controller fits mine perfectly while the 360 is too big and bulky. I have to strain my index fingers to hit the L1/R1 buttons. I also don't like the 360's face buttons. The rounded-ness of them hurt my thumbs after extended sessions. The 360's analogs sticks are much better no doubt, and the trigger buttons as well. However I prefer using the L1/R1 buttons the PS3 usually uses for shooters over the triggers the 360 usually uses.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 02:19:33 AM »

Okay then, so aside from GoW and the Uncharted series, what are the must have games? Aside from Panzer General. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 02:25:46 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 29, 2009, 02:19:33 AM

Okay then, so aside from GoW and the Uncharted series, what are the must have games? Aside from Panzer General. smile

Do you have a 360 already?  If not then there are too many to name with all of the multiplatform stuff.  If you are looking for PS3 exclusives I'd say there aren't any must haves other than the Uncharted games.  If you like shooters I'd say Killzone 2 is pretty solid.  If you like platformers Little Big Planet might be worth checking out.  Alot of people like InFamous as well if you like open world super hero type games.  

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »

With whiteboyskim it seems like it's flipping a coin if he will love it or hate it.  Indeed I'd be shocked if there isn't an epic rant on the vileness of either God of War or Uncharted in a thread at some point in the future. 

However it's at least worth looking into the demos for Killzone 2 and Infamous.   Also both Ratchet games are worth checking out, especially the most recent one "A Crack in Time" which is excellent.  Vakyria Chronicles is an excellent Strat RPG depending on your threshold for JRPG/Anime stories.  And while I haven't played Demon Souls yet, it seems like the type of game that will last for 100 hours or so if you love it. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 29, 2009, 02:19:33 AM

If you're into first-person-shooters: Killzone 2
If you're into sports: MLB 09: The Show, Hot Shots Golf
If you're into strategy/RPGs: Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles
If you're into open-world games: inFamous
If you're into creative, unique experiences: LittleBigPlanet, Flower, Noby Noby Boy
If you're into pretentious storytelling, cool cutscenes and some sneaking: Metal Gear Solid 4

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »

this list isn't half-bad...

&, personally, i'm still waiting for someone to clearly explain, once'n'for all, what exactly constitutes a 'must have' game smile . cuz, besides games i've seen described as 'must have' that i've enjoyed, i've also seen a lot of games referred to that way that i've got no interest in whatsoever - does that mean i don't have some must haves, or that they really aren't must haves, cuz i don't have them?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 03:25:06 AM »

If you were going to get a PS3, you should have taken advantage of the deals 4 major retailers had yesterday, where they were throwing in 2 games each for free.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 04:29:27 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 29, 2009, 03:04:34 AM

this list isn't half-bad...

I bought a PS3 slim recently for games 13 (in particular) and 9 (as an added convincing factor) on that list and it's been worth every penny, just for those two games alone.

I've been playing Uncharted lately and look forward to Uncharted 2 and MGS4, among others on the list, but if the only games I could play on the PS3 were Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, I probably still would have done it.

I'm also extremely hopeful for White Knight Chronicles in February.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 29, 2009, 02:30:40 AM

With whiteboyskim it seems like it's flipping a coin if he will love it or hate it.  Indeed I'd be shocked if there isn't an epic rant on the vileness of either God of War or Uncharted in a thread at some point in the future. 

However it's at least worth looking into the demos for Killzone 2 and Infamous.   Also both Ratchet games are worth checking out, especially the most recent one "A Crack in Time" which is excellent.  Vakyria Chronicles is an excellent Strat RPG depending on your threshold for JRPG/Anime stories.  And while I haven't played Demon Souls yet, it seems like the type of game that will last for 100 hours or so if you love it. 

Hahahahahahaha. Pretty much. I'm passionate. What else can I say? smile And I honestly have no idea why I love some games and hate others, sometimes to the inverse of popular opinion. I play each game initially with an open mind and let the game speak for itself. Take Borderlands for instance. I just finished it, and actually liked the ending. I think the final boss fight was meh but I liked the overall meaning behind the way it ended. As for the game itself, tons of fun but it's not one I'm in a rush to replay. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, but didn't go crazy for it like I did Arkham Asylum.

As for Ratchet, the series is hit or miss with me. I loved Deadlocked but I know some people hated it. I was meh towards the third game which I know some people loved. And on it goes. But I'd definitely play "Crack in Time" given the chance. As for Demon Souls, I frankly don't have the time for a 100 hour game anymore. I hung up my JRPG spurs with "FFXII" and thought that was a fitting way to go out. I'll try the Killzone 2 demo when I get the chance though.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »

Get MGS4....thats the only game you need...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 29, 2009, 09:50:26 AM

Get MGS4....thats the only game you need...

whiteboyskim wasn't a fan of MGS3 and as I think MGS4 is worse than MGS3, I wouldn't recommend that he play it. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

I love MGS4, and hated MGS3...?

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 29, 2009, 04:57:44 PM

I love MGS4, and hated MGS3...?

Very bizarre. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »

Uncharted 2 was the best single player game I played this year.  Also, easily the best graphics I have ever seen in a console game and I found myself stopping many times just to look around the game environment.

That being said, I am being 100% completely honest when I tell you I can't remember the last game I played on my PS3 prior to Uncharted 2.  I'm guessing it was NHL 09 and that was around a year ago.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 08:58:15 PM »

I'm pondering the same thing right now. Trying to decide if I want a PS3 or Kindle for Christmas.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: