http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I continue on with X-men Legends?  (Read 712 times)
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:37:54 PM »

From reading some of the other posts, I am like others here where I will just pick up games at good prices and let them sit a long time before I play them. I picked this up quite some time ago and figured I would enjoy it fine.
Well, I started playing yesterday and felt quite underwhelmed. I actually enjoyed playing the first level more with just one character (wolverine) than I did on the second mission with four characters. It seems that the game is just running around and doing the same two/three combos and trying to determine what your other three "helpers" are doing elsewhere.
I also got the characters killed pretty quickly repeatedly without finding too many health powerups. I didn't read too much on leveling up or using any strategy right from the beginning but I am already leaning on moving on to the next potential classic PS2 oldie that I have designated, Kingdom Hearts.
Any reason to go on with the game?
fyedaddy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »

Having loved Freedom Force, I was really looking forward to X-Men Legends (although I'm a definite DC guy). I played it a little bit with Farscry (who played it much more than I did and could provide better feedback) and did appreciate what it had to offer on the console vs. what Freedom Force gave us. The X-Men history and other such inside jokes were great for X-fans too. Nice character building mechanics too.

But... and I just couldn't get past the annoying game dialog and the awful, AWFUL, constant soundbyte of "C-C-C-COMBO!" every time you performed a combo (which is quite a bit). I tried, I really did(!), but I couldn't do it. Probably ruined what probably otherwise would have been a decent romp of a game. I hear a similar "combo" scream was left in the sequel so I won't even bother renting it.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »

i never played the original, but i played through about half of the sequel...seemed like a really fun game initially, but it quickly got very repetitive.  i may go back to it one of these days, but i can't see much motivation to do so right now...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:58:37 PM »

Well I played the original X-Men Legends and am about 75% of the way through the 2nd.  I love both games but they do certainly have their faults.

They remind me quite a bit of the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath games or even Diablo.  They're definitely action-RPG's.  Yes the combat is often repetitive but all combat is in these types of games.  The fun for me was choosing how to build the different characters and finding combinations of teammates that work well together.

The story is okay if you are not an X-Men fan but if you are (and I definitely am an X-men fan) then it's really fun.  The game doesn't get really good until you have a full party and can make them work together.  Remember you have a button that calls your team to attack what you are attacking.  You'll wind up using it often.  There are also tons of health and energy drinks all over but they are often hidden in crates and boxes and trashcans.  Take some time and destroy some of the scenery and you'll find lots of hidden items and even some secret passages.

My main complaints about the first game is that it just had one difficulty level (the sequel has three including an Easy option), the characters sometimes fell off ledges which was frustrating, and the save points could have been a bit closer (the sequel fixes this as well).

If you want an easier time with the first one then use Wolverine a lot.  He's a great tank and has excellent health regeneration.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:19:26 PM »

The thing that ruined these games for me was the absurdly long load times that happened every time you'd open the inventory.

Plus the graphics were blurry and butt-ugly on the PS2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
The thing that ruined these games for me was the absurdly long load times that happened every time you'd open the inventory.

Plus the graphics were blurry and butt-ugly on the PS2.

I played the first one on the Gamecube and the load was noticeable but not particularly long - maybe a second or two.  The graphics in the first were cell-shaded which I thought looked silly.

The second I play on the PSP and the load times... well we won't talk about that.   :cry:

I do like the character models in the sequel since they aren't cell-shaded.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 10:48:20 PM »

I don't have much to add here, other than that the things I liked and disliked about Legends 1 have been covered here.  However, I should add that I never got past the ship in Legends 1, as the Sentinels and military punks kept handing my team tubes of Vaseline and saying "Bend over!"  The difficulty took a massive leap at that point and really set me back.

I tried the sequel, liked that the whole "COMBO!" thing was severely toned down, but honestly didn't see that the gameplay was different enough for me to pick it up until I get around to finishing the first game.

I have to admit, if I wasn't such a huge X-Men fan, the game would interest me far, far less.  frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: