http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I buy a 3DS  (Read 822 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »

As happens often with new technology I am wanting it but I can't decide if it is worth getting.  Right now I have a DS XL and a lot of games in my backlog to play.  The only thing on the 3DS I am really interested in playing is Zelda but I never played the ocarina of time and it looks really fun. I also see a lot of possible games coming out in the next year which I might really enjoy (a dragon quest game, a devil survivor game, and a paper mario game to name a few).  I will get the most money for the DSXL the sooner I trade it in or sell it so if I am going to do it the sooner the better

Oddly the think I care about the least is the 3d.  I have looked at it and I can kind of see it in Street Fighter 3d but it isn't really noticeable enough to me to be wowed by it.  I mostly just want to have the system that will be getting the most focus of developers.  If I knew the 3DS would grow and grow I would probably get it but it might just be a fad that dies off in a year or two or always struggles to have quality titles.  Nintendo doesn't always hit a home run after all.

Are those of you who purchased the system still happy?  Had the honeymoon worn off?  What say you hive mind? smile

Thanks for any input.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »

I got the 3DS on launch day and it didn't really move me like I thought it would. The graphics are on par with the 7 year old PSP and the 3D wasn't what I expected.

Street Fighter online (in 2D) was pretty fun, but not sure it warrants a $250 price tag. 3DS still uses friend codes which I'm hoping the Wii 2 might finally do away with.

I ended up trading the 3DS on the forums here for an iPod Touch, which I find myself playing 3000x more than the 3DS.. not to mention there's a countless selection of games to choose from, many with online play, and graphics better than what you'll find on the 3DS.

A good system? Yes.. but IMO not worth the $250 price tag for what you get. Maybe the next revision of the 3DS along with a $50 price drop (and by then we'll have a decent selection of games to choose from) might make it a little more appealing.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »

No sense in jumping in now unless you really want something in the next few months.  If demand goes up it will encourage gamestop to offer trade in deals.

I've seen my playing time drop with a equal drop with the 3ds but I still think the system is worth owning as the market is Nintendo's to lose. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:04:32 AM »

No.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »

Hells yes! I love the little bastard. The launch line-up has just enough to keep you occupied until the summer games come (i.e. Zelda) and the system itself shows a lot of potential, especially in the online arena when the e-shop comes around.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »

I love the hardware. Wish there was more software for it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:16 AM »

If you can get a really good trade in on the XL, it might be worth it.  $250 is too much, but you can play all of your DS games on it.  I guess if you're nitpicky, there's a slight graphic degredation, but I've not really noticed it.

None of the games have had me racing back to the system constantly, but I do pick it up and play still.  Since they pushed back the launch from Christmas, there really should have been more launch games for it.  There are some good ones on the horizon, though.  However, I worry that the system isn't selling like they were hoping.  It's not a money printer like the DS was/is.  Hopefully, that'll change.  It's not a failure like the VirtuaBoy, though.

My advice is to wait until OOT comes out and see what kind of deal you can get then.  IMO, that game alone might be worth the upgrade if you've never played it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »

not being a Zelda fan myself, there is absolutely nothing that interests me for the 3DS.  I'll probably grab one someday when there are some decent RPG's, but it's a pass for the foreseeable future.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:40 AM »

Traded in a pile of stuff this week and picked up a couple of systems plus SF4 and Samurai Warriors, both for my son, mostly. Nothing I really want to play right now, but I know there wll be later. If I hadn't heard that ghost recon was supposedly coming to iOS, I'd definitely pick that up. I think the launch lineup is better than people are saying, just nothing I'm dying for personally.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

I think I have 6 3DS games (Pilotwings, Steel Diver, SF4, Ghost Recon, Ridge Racer, Lego Star Wars) and I have been pleased with all the games and the system.  The 3DS is by far the coolest handheld I have ever owned (and I have owned them all).  I really like the 3D effect and I think it makes the games look interesting...gives them a nice depth.  I bought mine on launch day and I have no regrets.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »

Nope -

I went from an XL to 3DS on launch day and there was really no need. When something comes out that you really want, then jump on it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
latinobreed212
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Devil on May 06, 2011, 12:59:05 PM

Nope -

I went from an XL to 3DS on launch day and there was really no need. When something comes out that you really want, then jump on it.
Aren't you contradicting yourself in this post?

I'm not really interested in the 3ds or Nintendo for that matter as my taste don't warrant interest, but I wouldn't jump on it unless you have money to burn or you are trying to upgrade your current DS. Chances are that the DS will get phased out
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »

I have had a 3DS in my hands twice and I couldn't pull the trigger.  I loved my DS more than I ever thought I would and I want a 3DS, but there just aren't any games for it right now that have my interest.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »

Quote from: latinobreed212 on May 06, 2011, 03:33:54 PM

Nope -

not really, but you must understand Devil-speak.  he's saying he got a 3DS on launch day, but advising F2K to wait until something he wants to come out before jumping on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
latinobreed212
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2011, 03:58:04 PM

Nope -

not really, but you must understand Devil-speak.  he's saying he got a 3DS on launch day, but advising F2K to wait until something he wants to come out before jumping on it.
Ah..thought he meant early adopting hardware for the sake of it
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will wait.  New technology often does this to me and I know that if I wait a month or two there will either be something I really really want or the desire will fade. 

Heck in the mean time I have Dragon Quest 9, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Chrono Trigger, and Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box I can work through.  With the amount of time I get to play that should take years. smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

Quote from: latinobreed212 on May 06, 2011, 04:27:32 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2011, 03:58:04 PM

Nope -

not really, but you must understand Devil-speak.  he's saying he got a 3DS on launch day, but advising F2K to wait until something he wants to come out before jumping on it.
Ah..thought he meant early adopting hardware for the sake of it

CeeKay is right:

I'm an idiot - I did it, but I wouldn't recommend it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »

In the video game world being an early adopter is half the fun! I've really enjoyed being able to gush over the 3DS with the friends of mine who also bought one, and on the forums of course. Seeing as how the 3DS is backwards compatible and the price won't be dropping any time soon, I don't see why you shouldn't get one.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: