http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shivering Isles - Oblivion required?  (Read 1481 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:08:43 AM »

I played through the main quest of Oblivion on the 360 and am planning to pick up Shivering Isles but on the PS3, do I need the original Oblivion in order to play the expansion or is it standalone? I've tried to research this but I can't find a definite answer.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »

You need Oblivion to play it.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »

Yeah you need the disk...If you don't have it try to find a GOTY edition used and save yourself from buying the game and the expansion....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:14:39 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on May 17, 2008, 02:29:48 AM

Yeah you need the disk...If you don't have it try to find a GOTY edition used and save yourself from buying the game and the expansion....

USED? Why don't you just kick me in the teeth while you're at it?!  icon_evil

I kid, I kid  icon_cool  Yeah get the GOTY edition.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 03:21:24 AM »

yeah....used......

Believe it or not Game Stop has it on their site for 54.99.  I thought that it would be cheaper......

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 04:05:01 AM »

I am still waiting for GOTY edition to be less than $30...
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:16:34 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on May 17, 2008, 04:05:01 AM

I am still waiting for GOTY edition to be less than $30...

well with prices like they currently are you might be waiting a while.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 05:16:33 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on May 17, 2008, 03:21:24 AM

yeah....used......

Believe it or not Game Stop has it on their site for 54.99.  I thought that it would be cheaper......

the only thing 'cheap' about buying used games from GameStop is the price they pay to buy them from you.  that same game they're selling used for $54.99 is something they just bought off some other poor sap for no more than $24 worth of store credit.  personally, i'll never buy a used game from them just to save $5, and i sure as hell don't want to be trading my used games to them so that they can sell them for a profit that exceeds what they were willing to give me.  i'd much rather buy a game new and know some of my money is going to support the developer rather than just padding the pockets of such a greedy company.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 17, 2008, 05:16:33 AM

Quote from: papasmurff on May 17, 2008, 03:21:24 AM

yeah....used......

the only thing 'cheap' about buying used games from GameStop is the price they pay to buy them from you.  that same game they're selling used for $54.99 is something they just bought off some other poor sap for no more than $24 worth of store credit.  personally, i'll never buy a used game from them just to save $5, and i sure as hell don't want to be trading my used games to them so that they can sell them for a profit that exceeds what they were willing to give me.  i'd much rather buy a game new and know some of my money is going to support the developer rather than just padding the pockets of such a greedy company.

This is why I never will buy a used game from them until its deeply discounted.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

Heh, well don't worry Kathode at least I bought Oblivion new on the 360 originally slywink

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »

Is it a known issue that the PS3 version has more slowdown and a choppier framerate than the 360 version? The PS3 version has been getting pretty choppy just in the beginning area alone and I don't remember it so much in the 360 version.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »

Ugh, the PS3 version is all sorts of shitty. The framerate chops up in combat pretty often, there's lots of texture pop-in, and the PS3 controller is vastly inferior when it comes to first-person aiming. I think I shall be exchanging this sucker for the 360 version  disgust

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 18, 2008, 09:18:16 AM

Ugh, the PS3 version is all sorts of shitty. The framerate chops up in combat pretty often, there's lots of texture pop-in, and the PS3 controller is vastly inferior when it comes to first-person aiming. I think I shall be exchanging this sucker for the 360 version  disgust

that's strange...I've always heard that the PS3 Oblivion was slightly better

dude...aren't you the guy who said your PS3 copy of GTA IV was all screwed up looking too?  are you sure you just don't have some crappy reject PS3?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 18, 2008, 05:17:09 PM

dude...aren't you the guy who said your PS3 copy of GTA IV was all screwed up looking too?  are you sure you just don't have some crappy reject PS3?

Believe me, it has crossed my mind. However, I suspect the GTA4 issue was due to my TV not upscaling the game correctly. As far as Oblivion, the reason I wanted the PS3 version is I recall it was supposed to look better. Perhaps it does, but it doesn't perform better as far as I can tell. After MGS4 comes out I might see about calling Sony and getting my PS3 replaced.

Sean Lama
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 18, 2008, 05:17:09 PM

Yeah I think it's something to be considered.  I read the same thing.

gellar
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »

Anyone here who HAS the PS3 version of Oblivion? any advantages to playing it on PS3 instead of the PC version?

I have the PC version, but considered buying it for PS3 instead.

now, if just Daggerfall was released on PS3 I'd be all over it...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »

Are you sure that you're remembering how Oblivion performed on the 360?  It wasn't exactly smooth a lot of the time and it has massive texture pop-in.  I have no idea if the PS3 version is better or worse in those areas but they were very much present on the 360. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2008, 08:22:32 AM

Anyone here who HAS the PS3 version of Oblivion? any advantages to playing it on PS3 instead of the PC version?

I have the PC version, but considered buying it for PS3 instead.

If you have the PC version, and have a decent enough of a PC to run it, there are no advantages. Mod support far outweighs any advantages (of which there are none, short of a unified system spec and controller support).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 19, 2008, 12:58:08 PM

Are you sure that you're remembering how Oblivion performed on the 360?  It wasn't exactly smooth a lot of the time and it has massive texture pop-in.  I have no idea if the PS3 version is better or worse in those areas but they were very much present on the 360. 

I exchanged my PS3 copy for the 360 version yesterday. The framerate is definitely smoother on the 360 but the texture pop-in is the same. Also, and I might just be delusional, but I think the PS3 version looks better in terms of image quality. It just seemed like the textures were sharper. I guess each version has its own strength and weaknesses, although the PS3 controller's analog sticks made it really difficult to aim spells.

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 19, 2008, 06:23:16 PM

I exchanged my PS3 copy for the 360 version yesterday. The framerate is definitely smoother on the 360 but the texture pop-in is the same. Also, and I might just be delusional, but I think the PS3 version looks better in terms of image quality. It just seemed like the textures were sharper

the PS3 version is supposed to look slightly better, so that sounds right

I didn't know if the framerate was supposed to be the same or not
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »

I thought the PS3 version was supposed to look better, but eventually the 360 got the 'graphic patch' that allowed it to look like the PS3 version.

I thought the framerate on the PS3 version was supposed to be a bit better, too (due to longer development time).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »

I played through about 6 hours of the 360 version back at the launch.  I grew tired of it and traded it away.  A few weeks back I picked up the GotY version on the PS3 for $24.  My memories of the 360 version are a little hazy, but to me the PS3 version seems to have a better frame rate and it definitely has better ground textures. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 19, 2008, 08:03:04 PM

I played through about 6 hours of the 360 version back at the launch.  I grew tired of it and traded it away.  A few weeks back I picked up the GotY version on the PS3 for $24.  My memories of the 360 version are a little hazy, but to me the PS3 version seems to have a better frame rate and it definitely has better ground textures. 

Where the hell did you get it for $24? It's selling for $55 used at GameStop where I got my copy.

Sean Lama
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 19, 2008, 08:08:11 PM

Where the hell did you get it for $24? It's selling for $55 used at GameStop where I got my copy.

There was a Gamestop coupon a while back where you could get half off any PS3 used game.  I got Oblivion for $24 and Assigns Creed for less then $20 if I recall correctly.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 19, 2008, 08:11:31 PM

Quote from: Ridah on May 19, 2008, 08:08:11 PM

There was a Gamestop coupon a while back where you could get half off any PS3 used game.  I got Oblivion for $24 and Assigns Creed for less then $20 if I recall correctly.

Wanna sell me your copy? =)

Sean Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: