http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 10:05:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne Impressions?  (Read 4597 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:08:57 PM »

Anyone pick it up?  I'm trying to decide between this or Shadow Hearts : Covenant and I'm only getting one or the other.  

I mean it.

Really.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »

I admire your willpower (get both) to just buy one or the other. Whenever I am faced with a similar (get both) situation -- two great games coming out (get both) around the same time, I always start the hear (get both) voices in my head, urging me -- nay, pleading with me (get both) to get both.
I am proud of you for resisting (get both) that voice, my son! :twisted:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 01:30:33 PM »

Is it out already?  Gamestop says 10/14.

I have it pre-ordered, but might wait to play it until I finish Shadow Hearts:  Covenant.  I don't think I could keep track of 2 RPG's at once.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:51:57 PM »

Yeah, I'm also getting one or the other. But, seeing as I already got Covenant, now it'll only be the "other" I have to buy. So, you see, that means I'm only buying one of them, and not both.

Because I bought the other one earlier, see.

So, I mean, it makes sense.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:34:08 PM »

heh, I have it preordered as well. I bought the Strat guide for it, which is a thick novel like affair. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Ascendent
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 06:16:31 PM »

The game keeps getting pushed back.  Hopefully it will be in stores by Friday.

olaf
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 06:36:25 PM »

I'm going to pick it up when I can.  I went the route of playing through Shadow Hearts Covenant and beating it before SMT:N was to come out.  So the delays actually helped me   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 06:48:15 PM »

I read this SMT:Nocturne was more of a dungeon crawl than anything else... I'd like to hear some opinions of that analysis before I rush out and buy this game.  It was going to be a day-one purchase for me, but that dungeon hack claim was quite disheartening.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 06:49:16 PM »

No one seems to know why, but the game is now supposed to ship Thursday, and be in stores Friday.  I was forced to get Paper Mario yesterday to make the wait easier slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 07:52:09 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I read this SMT:Nocturne was more of a dungeon crawl than anything else... I'd like to hear some opinions of that analysis before I rush out and buy this game.  It was going to be a day-one purchase for me, but that dungeon hack claim was quite disheartening.

I've heard that too.  Put that together with random enemy encounters practically EVERYWHERE and it would make it not only a dungeon crawl, but an "everywhere crawl."   smile

But I've also heard that the puzzles and such in the game are quite challenging, which I like to hear.  It's still a day 1 purchase for me though . . . particularily because I like new shiny things.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 08:20:19 PM »

So we have an impressions thread with no actual impressions?

Hmmm.... seems vaguely familiar.

On to page 2?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 10:06:33 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

From what I understand the "dungeon crawl" aspect would only be in reference to the fact that there are no non-combat zones in the game.  Supposedly it still has cities and such but you can be attacked at any time.  

I've read tons of previews, reviews, and impressions and this is the first time I've seen it referenced to as a "dungeon crawl."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 10:16:58 PM »

I've read tons of previews, reviews, and impressions and this is the first time I've seen it referenced to as a "dungeon crawl."

I've seen a number of reviews, the GameSpy review being most prominent, that have said the game is a dungeon crawl with a very bare bones story. I'm passing on it for this reason, as I like my games story heavy.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 10:19:43 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

I've seen a number of reviews, the GameSpy review being most prominent, that have said the game is a dungeon crawl with a very bare bones story. I'm passing on it for this reason, as I like my games story heavy.

Strange.  Most of what I've seen has praised the game's story.  Haven't read the Gamespy review though.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 10:48:31 PM »

You know, I've read in reviews that the story is prominant.  But then, I've read that it takes a back seat to all of the random encounters.  Bah!  Hopefully someone can comment on this in this "impressions" thread . . . when we actually do get some impressions   biggrin

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 10:49:46 PM »

Ugh, the last thing I'd want to play is another Skies of Arcadia.

I'll be passing on this one.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 11:26:19 PM »

Ugh, the last thing I'd want to play is another Skies of Arcadia
. Such a good game marred by the random encounter rate.  If they turned the encontours to about a quarterin that game, or even none while flying on the ship (except for visible enemy pirates with ship to ship battles), it would have been one of my favorite RPGs.  As it was, it was painful to finish.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 11:32:52 PM »

Yes, Skies of Arcadia really got on my nerves with it's random encounter rate. Shadow HEarts: Covenant's encounter rate is perfect in my opinion.

AFter you got your ship in SoA I stopped after my 6th encounter going from one side of the screen to the other.

Ugh.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 11:52:36 PM »

From what I've read, the game isn't plot-heavy, but the plot is still good.  The game I've seen it most compared to is, oddly enough, Pokemon.  It's battle-heavy, and the purpose of the battles is to level up and evolve your pokedemons, so you can fight stronger and stronger pokedemons.  There's also supposed to be some involved and tricky puzzles in the dungeons.  I think there might be a pretty high frustration factor, but it also seems like it will be worth it.

There are some reviews praising the game at GameFAQs.  The one that sold me was the "One of the PS2's largest, longest, and most surreal RPGs" review, especially the part describing the dungeons.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 04:25:32 AM »

While the game is battle heavy, from what I've read the encounter rate is no where close the Skies of Arcadia's near-legendary rate.  

Looking forward to giving this a spin  hopefully on Friday.  My local Gamestop  left a message Tuesday night saying it would be available for pickup Wednesday night but after having four holes poked in my abdomen Wednesday morning I wasn't quite up to checking whether they did in fact get it in.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 06:40:12 AM »

The Gamestop calls went out because they didn't stop their automated calling service in time.  The game won't be in stores until Friday.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 07:12:08 AM »

Sigh.  Something tells me I'll end up buying this on Friday, despite my reservations about the storyline...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 10:20:39 AM »

I also read on the GameFAQs forum that you can get skills than increase or decrease the encounter rate, like the newer Final Fantasies.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 01:24:21 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
The Gamestop calls went out because they didn't stop their automated calling service in time.  The game won't be in stores until Friday.

Thanks for the heads up, now I won't have to bother calling today.

Another factor on the battle system- there is an auto battle button for routine encounters you can win easily.  Evidently the battle system is one of the fastest around as far as turn-based systems goes.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 11:07:31 PM »

EB.com is listing it as shipping, but EB employees are (predictably) clueless...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 04:50:49 AM »

On the gamefaqs boards a bunch of people with EBgames and gamestop preorders got shipping notices via email today, so that means stores ought to have it tomorrow.

olaf
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »

I got my email last night.  Let me know how it is for those of you who pick it up.

Ascendnet
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 07:39:30 PM »

It was in at the Chicago EB I visited today.

I am ashamed to say I caved in and bought it. :oops:  :wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 08:46:05 PM »

OK, I have to go to EB today to pick up an XBox HD pack.   I'm kinda hoping they don't have SMT:N in stock since I'm pretty sure I'll cave.  Wish me luck.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 11:04:26 PM »

Logged just over an hour so far and I'm pretty blown away.  

The presentation is unlike any other RPG I've ever played.  The graphics won't blow you away based on polygon-counts or texture detail but the fluidity of the movement combined with the various filters and level design makes this one of the most visually stunning games I've played in quite some time.

There is no voice acting but the text translation seems to be excellent.  Music is excellent- suitablity haunting one moment and transforms into some pretty cool hard rock for the battles.  Its worth noting the game comes included with its soundtrack on CD.

Have just barely tapped the battle system.  The most interesting facet is the ability to negotiate with the various demons you come against and add them to your party.  Battle animations are fluid with all of the pretty particle effects you'd expect.  

Storyline is pretty fascinating and, once again, utterly unique.  

RPGs usually take a little while to get their hooks in me but Nocturne has managed to do it right from the start.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2004, 11:41:52 PM »

Is it really just a dungeon crawl though? What similarities does it have to SH:Covenant or FFX?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2004, 01:04:59 AM »

Depends on what you mean by dungeon crawl.  Dungeon Crawl to me is a game like Diablo, BG Dark Alliance, X-Men Legends, etc which Nocturne has nothing in common with.

The biggest change between Nocturne and a more "standard" console RPG (ie FFX, SH) is that you are never truly safe.  Due to Nocturne's rather unusual world you can be attacked at any time.  There are still cities, "beings" to interact with, shops and all of the other usual items associated with traditional console RPGs.  

After logging about three hours in the dungeon crawl label honestly puzzles me.  

The other significant change between a lot of console RPGs and Nocturne is that Nocturne is a bit more austere- again due to the nature of the environment, production design, and plot you feel a bit more lonely and isolated no matter how many beings you interact with or have in your party.l
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2004, 02:26:21 AM »

Spoiler ahead!

Has anyone managed to get out of the hospital?  After two solid hours wandering around with the pass, I have yet to be able to find a way to beat the first boss because I cannot get into the room that he is in.  Neither the strat guide or the walkthrough are of any help.  This is exactly why I hate puzzle games...I could have been playing Knights of Honor and kicking Spanish ass  :lol:

Lorini

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2004, 03:28:14 AM »

Lorini, once you are in the annex you need to head down into the basement.  From there you will be able to ascend some stairs to the west that will put you on the first floor with the demon.  There's really no puzzle involved- you likely overlooked a door.
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2004, 05:09:37 AM »

Kevin, thanks much for the tip! I was panicked that I had not done something to get to the area.  I got thru and am on my way!

Lorini

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2004, 06:06:34 AM »

Alright, played right up until the boss fight in the hospital for about an hour and a half.  I'm really liking it so far!  The style is unlike any other RPG I've ever played - definately a plus on my side.  Everything just seems so . . . smooth.  I really like the character models and the art direction.  The beginning (up until "The Conception") was really cool in my mind - there's a bit of philosophical things in there that I liked.

The battle system is just dandy so far.  Note, I say so far.  I understand the whole "hit the enemy with a weakness and you'll only expend 1/2 turn", but besides that I don't see a whole lot of strategy so far besides mashing on the X button.  Don't get me wrong - I'm a turn-based fanboy.  Turn based battles are my favourite kind.  I'll have to give that aspect more time for me to really get a judgement for it.

My only little nitpick is that the music seems almost like, not as great as quality as it should be?  Well, lemme try to explain - it's more or less too much in the background for my taste.  And sometimes it just doesn't seem so crystal clear as it should be?  I dunno, I'll need to play more to pass judgement on that as well.

But with these little nitpicks that I've pointed out, they're really tiny, tiny ones.  So far I'm loving it!  Definately in a league of its own so far.  Can't wait to play more.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2004, 06:17:47 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

The battle system is just dandy so far.  Note, I say so far.  I understand the whole "hit the enemy with a weakness and you'll only expend 1/2 turn", but besides that I don't see a whole lot of strategy so far besides mashing on the X button.  Don't get me wrong - I'm a turn-based fanboy.  Turn based battles are my favourite kind.  I'll have to give that aspect more time for me to really get a judgement for it.

Battles took a step change in difficulty for me when I left the hospital and I'm scrambling to learn some of the strategies.

One of the major things I've found effecting my strategy is that negotiation goes hand in hand with battle strategy.  If there are several of the same monster type on the screen you usually won't be able to recruit a monster unless you've killed his friends first.  

Also, if you have the same species of monster in your party as one or more of the enemies you can have them ask those enemies to bow out from the battle.

Further, you will soon have the opportunity to fuse the demons you've recruited into more powerful characters.  Choosing which demons to fuse and with which abilities is already playing a big role in battle planning.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2004, 06:41:17 AM »

Ok, I'm stuck right after you get out of the hospital:

-
-
--SPOILER
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
---

I made my way to the park, and there is a door locked from the inside by fairies... how do I get through it? I've been all over the world map and inside the park...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2004, 02:11:28 PM »

Flyin J, I don't think you can go in there yet.  Continue south on the World Map and then east and you will get to a marketplace/club area (Shin-somehting or other).
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 04:50:09 AM »

How's everyone's thoughts thus far on this game now that it's been out for almost a week?

Me, well, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to stick with it or not.  I love the style, absolutely love the art directions and all of that, but there's something about it that, as far as I am, I just can't sit down and play like, two hours or so like I did with Shadow Hearts Covenant.  But there are a whole lot of pros with this game, really, but it's still up in the air about if I want to complete it or not.

How's it going with everyone else?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: