http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Impressions! (pg. 2)  (Read 10537 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »

The release date is pretty varied (EB Games says shipping on March 8 and IGN says the 29th) but, nontheless, the release of SMT: Digital Devil Saga is approaching.  And I for one am really excited.

DDS is set in the same world Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is set in, but it's a spin-off of that game, not a direct sequel (in fact, DDS already has a sequal being planned to be released around the summer!).  I'm all for this, seeing as how I absolutely loved the atmosphere and artwork of Nocturne.  The twisted world, crazy plot, and awe-inspiring "demon" design was something that I've always looked for in a game as well.

I got tired of playing Nocturne because of the demon "collecting" and the random encounter rate/locations.  DDS again bodes well for me, seeing as how this "series" places a greater emphasis on the story, characters, cutscenes, and so forth.  This time around, you'll have concrete party members instead of recruting demons to fill in your party member slots.  Though the basic combat system stays intact from Nocturne besides the demon collecting - turn-based combat that relies a lot of hitting the enemy with their weakness for more player turns.

Based on the videos that I've seen (go to http://www.gametrailers.com for a couple of good ones) and the information that I've read, basically Digital Devil Saga is what I wanted from SMT: Nocturne.  I've already preordered and can't wait, whatever date it may be, til it ships.

IGN has a very informative preview that they posted a couple of days ago.  If you're interested, you should go ahead and give it a read:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/592/592848p1.html

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »

I'm stoked for this too.  I have SMT:nocturne on hold right now as I'm stuck in the stupid tower dungeon, where I can't go back to resupply unless I want to do the whole thing over again.  (WHO THE HELL MADE THAT DESIGN DECISION?!?!?! They should be shot.  Ruined what was a great game for me up until that point.  No warning whatsoever that that particular dungeon was forever long.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:33:13 PM »

i've pre-ordered as well...

&, yeah, i think i'll prefer the more standard ('persona'-like) team-based format - as fun as the demons were, there wasn't a whole lot of interaction going on, eh?...

smt:n & paper mario 2 were my favorite rpgs from last year. though i haven't finished it, i always have a good time playing it. as far as character & strategy developement, it's probably got the richest set of customization options of any rpg out there, & i'd recommend it to anyone (even with all them random encounters / cheap deaths). it's different, & initially frustrating - but once it 'clicks', it's as interesting, challenging, & rewarding as an rpg can get...

I'm stuck in the stupid tower dungeon, where I can't go back to resupply unless I want to do the whole thing over again. (WHO THE HELL MADE THAT DESIGN DECISION?!?!?!

the one where dante makes his first appearance, with the back-to-back-to-back bosses? maybe it's wrong, but, if ever there was a game that required buying a copy of the guide, it's this one. for one thing, the manual doesn't begin to adequately describe demon fusion; for another thing, there are sections (like the tower) that are pretty damn unforgiving without a leg-up (& still nasty even with one)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 06:18:16 PM »

Sounds cool!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 08:46:06 PM »

Researched a bit on the release date - APPARENTLY it's supposed to ship on the 29th.  That's according to an Atlus employee, so yeah, I guess we'll have to wait longer than expected   frown

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »

Semiconscious -  I meant the tower that you have to fight the three Fates (Atropos,Lachesis, Clotho) back to back to back.  It's much later in the game than the one you mention (where you first meet Dante).

And I had long since suspected that this will ship the 29th.  In gaming, the alter release date is probably true.
 :cry:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 10:37:09 PM »

I meant the tower that you have to fight the three Fates (Atropos,Lachesis, Clotho) back to back to back. It's much later in the game than the one you mention

gotcha - you're talking about the obelisk, which's exactly where i left off playing last (6-8 weeks back). just went thru an on-line faq, & yeah, the guy who wrote it agrees with you - it's a bitch!...

again, i'd never've made the progress i did in the game without the guide (it's the size of a small phonebook, btw), & really recommend it. sorry that's the best i can do...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 10:38:38 AM »

Reviving this old thread.  MAN am I excited for this game!  I NEED IT TO BE RELEASED NOOOOOOW!  I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and really enjoying my time with it.  And reading everything that I possibly can, it really seems like DDS has everything that I wanted out of Nocturne and a LOT more.  This review makes the game sound perfect to me.  Seriously.  I like "different" stories in RPGs, ala Shadow Hearts (to an extent) and so forth, and the story seems really fascinating for DDS.  I just can't say enough about it, I could go on and on and on about what I really like about what I've read about DDS, but I'll refrain   biggrin :

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=475382

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 11:56:07 AM »

I put in my preorder today.  I was pleasantly surprised that the clerk knew what game I was talking about.  I was dreading having to spell out Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga and be met with a blank stare slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 01:41:57 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
This review makes the game sound perfect to me.

whew! - as much as i'm looking forward to it, i doubt i'll enjoy the game as much as that guy did smile (he did mention there's lots of random combat, which is fine with me - as long as there's also a reasonable save system, something he never got around to talking about)...

my only problem with dds is that it's release is perfectly sandwiched a week between god of war & rise of the kasai, so, yeah, i'll be playing it, but maybe not right away?...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 02:06:55 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I put in my preorder today.  I was pleasantly surprised that the clerk knew what game I was talking about.  I was dreading having to spell out Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga and be met with a blank stare slywink

Yeah I can remember the nightmares of calling clerks around where I go to school and asking if they had in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne in . . . and hearing a, "Uuuuuh . . . can you spell that?" reply everytime.  And that wasn't the worst part!  They would then say either they never heard of it and it wasn't in their computer or that it was going to be released 3 months after when it was.  Crazy.

And yeah, that reviewer is pretty nuts about that game.  Just one thing I kinda dislike about Nocturne is the fact that I'll have this demon that I've recruited several levels ago . . . fight with, level up and get pretty good skills . . . and then I'll have to sacrifice it for another and do it all over again.  It's a pretty neat system and it works VERY well, but I like having longevity with characters and such.

I'm just notifying the general public so they can jump on the Digital Devil Saga bandwagon NOW instead of later   biggrin

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 05:32:10 AM »

Heh I preordered a while back found a nice deal for it 46 with free shipping. Should be fun but I promised I'd beat Nocturne before this one and don't think it's going to happen.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 05:35:29 AM »

Ok, this actually sounds a lot more interesting than SMT:Nocturne
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 10:46:31 PM »

gamestop just emailed me that my preorder's been pushed back again, to 4/5 (same day as rise of the kasai!)...

maybe just play god of war more slowly?...

edit: this just in - according to the usually reliable 'console gold' website, dds has (finally) gone gold, making that 4/5 date look solid...

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 12:14:13 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
edit: this just in - according to the usually reliable 'console gold' website, dds has (finally) gone gold, making that 4/5 date look solid...

Until I posted that, I had no idea that the sequel would be out so quickly.  The PR claims it will be out this Fall.  I'm tempted to get the Deluxe Edition box so I can keep them both together.  Of course I keep all my PS2 games in a big binder, but that doesn't matter :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 12:48:53 AM »

Stiffler - the "deluxe" box edition is the ONLY real edition.  There's no "regular" edition or anything - just this one being released.  I think it's a good investment . . . $5 more for a nice little box, soundtrack, and so forth.  So oh, you'll be getting that neato box to fit in the sequel!   biggrin

Yeah I got the e-mail and saw the official release date on Atlus' website.  Still can't wait.  It's going to be GREAT!

And the sequel is supposidly better than the first.  It's already been released in Japan and people who have played the imports claim the sequel is actually better than DDS 1.

Can't wait!!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 01:51:13 AM »

Thanks for the clarification, depward.  I must say I am surprised that it is only being released this way (and at a cost of $54.99).  Regardless, I will certainly end up with a copy.  At least this way I don't have to look to hard to find the "deluxe" version.

BTW, depward, did you try the new Y's game yet?  Looking forward to your thoughts on that one.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 03:03:46 AM »

Im actually very impressed by what I hear about this game. I read a preview over at Worthplaying that really got me interested. Ive been playing through FFX a bit lately, and I really want an RPG that captures me like that. DDS sounds like it might do the trick, too bad it got delayed frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 03:08:03 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
BTW, depward, did you try the new Y's game yet?  Looking forward to your thoughts on that one.

Oh man, you see . . . everytime I go to the game store around here (which, lately, has been practically every other day, hehe) I've ALWAYS picked that game up and looked it over.  And I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  Though, as of late, I've been really kinda wanting to pick it up.

I've looked at comments on the gamefaqs board and they compare it to kind of a "Zelda hack-n-slash" type of game, which isn't BAD, but I don't know.  Then I keep telling myself to wait for a price drop, but $39.99 isn't too bad.

Oh hell.  Most likely my mind will play some tricks on me, telling me that stiffler has been looking forward to comments from me on Ys, and make me pick it up tonight.  Thanks a lot!   :wink:

Nevertheless, I think I will go pick it up tonight.  Look for some sort of impressions thread (if I can get in some time between tml's God of War time) tomorrow I suppose . . . you vagabond   biggrin

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 06:41:49 AM »

Pft. You know you're even worse an RPG wh*re than I am, depward. Just embrace it.  Cool

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 07:07:34 AM »

RPGFan has posted their review.  I like this quote -
"Digital Devil Saga is like Final Fantasy X, but the characters eat each other." slywink
I'll post some impressions when I get it Wednesday.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 07:12:07 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
RPGFan has posted their review.  I like this quote -
"Digital Devil Saga is like Final Fantasy X, but the characters eat each other." slywink
I'll post some impressions when I get it Wednesday.

Good stuff!  IGN gave it a 7.8, which isn't great, but they didn't have a LOT of "bad" things to say about it.

I'm having it shipped to me Wednesday so I'll have some impressions Wednesday evening'ish as well   biggrin

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 07:21:23 AM »

Cool can't wait to hear about it. My copy won't get here till next week.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 07:36:35 AM »

I spent a bit of time the last two days reading up on it, and I am impressed enough to get it on Wednesday first thing. Two reviews now have compared it to FFX, and anyone that knows me knows that pretty much equals instant buy.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »

here comes the game glut (damn psp!)...

receiving my copy on wednesday (hopefully) as well...

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 06:49:36 PM »

I don't know if I'm that excited about DDS anymore.  I'm having flashbacks of perpetual random battles in Nocturne.  The FFX-esque grid sounds interesting, but that's about it--slow story progression really kills my interest, considering I thought this was going to be Nocturne with, well, a story.  

These middling reviews are just not good signs, imo, especially considering Nocturne got such praise (and I didn't much like Nocturne in the long run).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 07:13:43 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I don't know if I'm that excited about DDS anymore.  I'm having flashbacks of perpetual random battles in Nocturne.  The FFX-esque grid sounds interesting, but that's about it--slow story progression really kills my interest, considering I thought this was going to be Nocturne with, well, a story.  

These middling reviews are just not good signs, imo, especially considering Nocturne got such praise (and I didn't much like Nocturne in the long run).

Yeah I hear you.  But I've been so excited for this title for so long that nothing that I've read has really dimished my excitement.  Random battles like Nocturne?  I'm ok with that.  They were more exciting than 90% of all other RPGs I've played.  Slow story progression?  What I wanted from Nocturne WAS voice acting, a more cinematic feel, and although it might be a tad slow I know that's what I'm going to get.

DDS 2, like I've said before (maybe not here but I've said it a LOAD to people) is supposed to be very story concentrated.  Hopefully that can tip the scales so to speak with the two games - first one more combat heavy and slow story, second one lots of story.  We'll see though   biggrin

That being said, I might be having a problem with my Gamestop.com preorder.  I preordered so long ago that I lost both the confirmation e-mail AND the print-out.  And for some reason I don't have an account made.  I haven't gotten an e-mail saying it has been shipped overnight . . . soooo yeah.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 07:20:53 PM »

Someone on Gaming-Age who as played DDS 2 said that it more than addresses every complaint IGN had in their review.

I'm personally very interested in DDS (I really dig the atmosphere in these games) but think I might hold off until DDS 2 is released in a few months which should make for a more satisfying overall experience.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 07:52:08 PM »

That being said, I might be having a problem with my Gamestop.com preorder.  I preordered so long ago that I lost both the confirmation e-mail AND the print-out.  And for some reason I don't have an account made.  I haven't gotten an e-mail saying it has been shipped overnight . . . soooo yeah.

dude, chill!... i also ordered from gamestop (but, unlike some people, i have an account & saved everything slywink ), & i've yet to get the email either...

i'll post when i do (unless you beat me to it)...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 08:07:36 PM »

dude, chill!... i also ordered from gamestop (but, unlike some people, i have an account & saved everything slywink ), & i've yet to get the email either...

I'm overtly anxious   :lol:

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 11:41:38 PM »

From what I've heard, DDS is good, but DDS2 is great.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 01:18:24 AM »

Hmm cool, I buy all atlus games now. So I'll be picking up both.

Ascendent
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 01:35:38 AM »

I'm on the fence about this one.  I was pretty lukewarm towards the last SMT, but that may be because I fired it up right after playing Shadow Hearts:  Covenant (my personal GotY for 2004) and it didn't really compare.  The reviews have been so-so, and I'm leaning towards waiting.  I'll probably get DDS2 eventually, but not until a price drop or two.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 02:44:02 AM »

I'm overtly anxious   :lol:

Deppy hasnt been anywhere near chill for 3-4 days smile Im sure getting the game will make it better. I really am looking forward to this, and if DDS2 is even better, thats awesome, I will look forward to it-but this RPG Sounds like what I have been waiting for on the consoel for a long time, and I really like the art style, so tomorrow morning I go out to get it!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 06:34:35 AM »

We're on the second page already, with no impressions of the actual game.  Should we just make this the official impressions thread?  biggrin

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 06:38:07 AM »

The reviews have been so-so, and I'm leaning towards waiting. I'll probably get DDS2 eventually, but not until a price drop or two.

With Atlus games this normally doesn't happen.

Ascendent
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 12:14:28 PM »

Then I'll at least wait until I can find a used copy.  That way it can go back if I don't like it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 02:12:10 PM »

hunh... never did get an email from gamestop, but the website says it shipped & will be here today, fedex...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »

hunh... never did get an email from gamestop, but the website says it shipped & will be here today, fedex...

Same - no confirmation e-mail but it's on the truck headed here at the moment.  Weird.  That's a first!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 06:15:42 PM »

Same - no confirmation e-mail but it's on the truck headed here at the moment.  Weird.  That's a first!

I was the first one to get it from the store today, unfortunately I have class shortly and will have to wait until after the gym late tonight to even get started frown

I cry  :cry:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: