http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:44:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She's gonna blow! (360 woes)  (Read 1060 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:34:46 AM »

Well, looks like I may be about to join the ranks of owners of $400 doorstops. The 360 locked up on me 3 times within a few minutes, and the machine had only been on a couple of minutes the first time. No red lights, but each time it locked up and there were graphic artefacts on the screen. I turned the power off each time to try and prevent further damage.

Anybody experienced anything like this with theirs?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:19:51 AM »

Sounds very similar to what my last one did...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:05:52 AM »

Sounds like the usual overheating problems the console is so well known for. Just try moving your power supply away from your 360, and make sure you have a decent surge protector hooked up to it all.

If it continues, call Microsoft and get the thing replaced.

And here I thought the PS1/PS2 was a poorly made piece of crap...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:50:40 AM »

Ah, but the difference is that once you get your 360 replaced it'll probably run for a long while.  I've gone through so many PS2s its obscene to actually quantify it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Sounds like the usual overheating problems the console is so well known for. Just try moving your power supply away from your 360, and make sure you have a decent surge protector hooked up to it all.

Plugged into an UPS and the power supply is several feet away and turned across a box.

How can it overheat within a couple of minutes?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Ah, but the difference is that once you get your 360 replaced it'll probably run for a long while.  I've gone through so many PS2s its obscene to actually quantify it.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I've never had to replace my PS2.  In fact I've never even had a minor problem with it *crosses fingers*
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 01:28:21 PM »

Happened to a friend of mine the first day he played his. I thought there were taking them back though. Seems to me that you can mail it back to MS and they will replace it, at least that's what my friend did with his. His new one has worked fine for about 8 months now.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

And I've gone through two 360s, although I think they only shipped back my first 360 without doing anything to it.

As far as my PS2 comment goes - I've had to reallign the laser manually once (fun task) and my PS1 burned itself out during the course of my gaming fun.

All my Nintendo products though are problem free. biggrin

Misguided - if one of the fans has failed for whatever reason. Try watching a DVD or playing Live Arcade titles and see if you're still having issues. Either way, I'd still get it replaced from Microsoft if the issues continue.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Sounds like the usual overheating problems the console is so well known for.

In my experience the overheating leads to lockups with no graphical artifacts. Once I starting getting lockups with graphical artifacts it was a short time until I got the 3 red lights of doom. Resets worked for a bit but it never stayed up long and after a while it wouldn't even boot up at all.

I still haven't gotten around to calling MS. New baby in the house = not much gaming time anyhow. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

I need to call MS on my 360.  I sometimes have to open and close the tray 6 times before it will even attempt to read the game disc.  Once it decides to read it it is smooth sailing.  It also sometimes will not open.  It will open like 1/2 an inch and then stop, thinking the drive is just bad on mine.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 07:47:07 PM »

Well, at the urging of a couple of folks, I called MS even though I've had the system since November and it is well beyond the warranty period. They are going to cover it anyway and I should have a box next week to send it in.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:32:58 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Well, at the urging of a couple of folks, I called MS even though I've had the system since November and it is well beyond the warranty period. They are going to cover it anyway and I should have a box next week to send it in.

Awesome, I guess I should make the call too. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:23 AM »

Yeah, and it wasn't like I was belligerent or anything. I was polite and forthcoming about the fact I knew it was out of warranty. This wasn't a case of having to fight for it.

Now you can interpret that as them wanting to do right by their customers or them knowing there's a problem or perhaps some of both.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 03:51:10 AM »

Count me among the early adopter casualties.  My 360 is on its way back to the Mothership for reeducation.  First the IR port (remote control) started cutting out.  Then it was disk read problems.  The CSR was friendly and got my box out right away.  Hopefully it won't be gone too long.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: