http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:08:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shattered Union impressions?  (Read 993 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2005, 06:00:23 AM »

As the title says, anyone getting this for the Xbox?
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 07:37:38 PM »

I probably will.  Love Advance War-esque games, so this should be worth a try.  The only thing I dont like is how unrealisticlly large the vehicles are.  While understandable, since they are more like icons for units than anything else, it seems soo...unrealistic and cartoony, and I doubt you can change the size.  But whatever.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 09:36:45 PM »

Erm, I thought that they were supposed to represent groups?

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 03:50:15 AM »

Eno, the game isn't to scale.  If you were using realistically scaled models on this maps then all your units would be little dots on the landscape.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:03:38 AM »

PC DEMO FIRST!!!
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:58:51 PM »

lol, I know that.  I'm not an idiot, I said that they representative of the actual unit groups (or at least I meant that), but it just seems odd have a huge skyscraper, and a tank that is of equal size.  Of course it is representative of individual units, but I dunno, it just LOOKs wierd to me.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:01:51 PM »

Cross post from my impressions at OO (PC version impressions):

I managed to get in a good portion of a campaign last night and overall:
Fun. Not a great game, but a nice, light, wargame. If I had to compare it to something, it actually reminds me a little of the old IMagic game Fallen Haven.

I started a new campaign as Pacifica. They are a technology oriented faction comprised of Washington, Oregon, and a few other NW states. The campaign starts you with a modest well balanced army, and a little cash. Each turn represent a week and you gain income from your territories at the beginning of each turn. Each territory contains special buildings that confer different bonuses. Some buildings reduce the cost of infantry, some increase your total income, some give your units more fuel in battle, etc. These buildings can be detroyed in battle, so it's important to try to keep fights away from them. Each turn you are allowed to repair and expand your army as you see fit and you can attack one enemy territory bordering on yours. Once you select a territory to attack you are presented with a map of the area and can select the direction you are launching your attack from. Once you've done this you can select what units in your army to take with you. As I mentioned above units that go to battle with you (even if the enemy withdraws) are unavailable for combat again until the next turn.

The battles themselves I feel a bit mixed about. The graphics are great, and the attention to detail is commendable. For instance, each territory has it's map with all the major (and many minor) towns represented. Many of the towns have key landmarks located on the map too. For instance on one of my last battles I was fending off EU peacekeepers from my redoubt in the Houston Astrodome. In San Antonio you can see the Alamo, Roswell features a small alien crash site near the town. My battles for Los Angles have been fun too. Lots of house to house battles with attacking partisans. Another interesting point is that as the battles rage, serious and permanent damage can be done to the terrain. To this day the eastern part of Los Angles is more or less ruins after me repeatedly using it to hold it.  That damage translates to the campaign as well. The damage you do in a mission can hurt your political rating which in turn affects what special abilities you can use and a few other things.

The tactical battles themselves are I'd say only mediocre. Admittedly I'm playing on lower difficultly, and am still learning the game, but overall I just don't really like how they have the units balanced. That's not to say they are unbalanced, it's just I'd prefer a different pace of game than they have presented. The combat is very similar to Advanced Wars with the exception of units doing full damage despite being damaged themselves. Stats include damage vs. infantry, armor, air, defense, movement, sight radius. Pretty standard stuff really.

Each battle is played out on a realistic map of the area in contention. Major cities are given point values, and the attacker has 14 turns to get a certain number of objective points to force his enemy to withdraw.

One thing I've noticed, is that, money not withstanding, infantry are pretty pointless. They are cheap, and do get bonuses to defense when in cities, but they still get trounced by most every unit. As the game progressed and I got more money my infantry forces have dwindled to near nothing as my tank divisions don't have any penalty in city fighting, so I used them for most combat.

The air support I think is handled well. At the beginning of battle you place your airbase. This gives you some air defense around it, but if it's lost you are unable to use aircraft anymore in that battle. Each turn you can use each of your squadrons once. Bombers can target enemy ground formations and key targets like bridges, fighters can target enemy aircraft and helicopters directly, or can be put on patrol to defend all units in a given radius. AA vehicles can also be used to provide defense to all units in a certain radius. Basically if any unit in their defense area is attacked, they get a free shot at the approaching craft. Aircraft are expensive to buy, but they can be devastating to an enemy force.

The special abilities are a nice touch, but I'm not entirely sure how balanced they are. California was repeatedly using it's ability to apparently make a unit near invincible. They would put their ability on their heavy tanks and as a result I could barely destroy them. As illustration a heavy tank division has around 21 hit points. Usually my heavy armor can knock them down to around 11 hit points after one attack. With that power on their defense was raised so high I was doing 2 or 3 damage per hit. Had I not had the enemy outnumbered by a good margin that could have been a devastating ability. I had a few good abilities, but that one seemed a little out of line. Some of the abilities include: Satellite support, nanite repairing, patrol units, defense debuffs, defense buffs. As your political alignment goes up or down your available abilities change to reflect your new outlook on war.

Overall it's a fun game, but rather light. I think it's biggest effect was to make me want to load up Supreme Ruler again, but then again I tend to prefer deeper wargames.  

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: