http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:31:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Shadowrun Returns (official review on Page 3)  (Read 8920 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 16, 2013, 12:20:12 AM

HBS is sending out Steam Keys.  Just got mine

yep, got mine too.  now to stare at it longingly....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »

10 days to unlock.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »

Just added the key to my account.  Just need the unlock now

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »

so i have a huge favor to ask about this game and thought id toss out feelers here before hitting the trade forums...

i have an irrational hatred of steam (i know i know) and REALLY want to play this game.  i understand that one of the kickstarter levels included steam keys, a drm free download AND a drm free disc.  did anyone happen to get in on that and if so would you be willing to part with your disc copy?  id love to work out a trade or even better a puchase... if this sounds like something anyone here would be willing to do please shoot me a pm!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 17, 2013, 11:32:24 PM

so i have a huge favor to ask about this game and thought id toss out feelers here before hitting the trade forums...

i have an irrational hatred of steam (i know i know) and REALLY want to play this game.  i understand that one of the kickstarter levels included steam keys, a drm free download AND a drm free disc.  did anyone happen to get in on that and if so would you be willing to part with your disc copy?  id love to work out a trade or even better a puchase... if this sounds like something anyone here would be willing to do please shoot me a pm!

Doopri, let me double check my backer level, but I believe I may be able to help you out.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »

New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYsQ0M2Jrg&feature=youtu.be
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

Supposedly this unlocks on steam tomorrow at 1 pm est.   I am so looking forward to digging into this game

NiM$
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »

Hell yeah, I am so looking forward to digitally recreating my favorite character from my pen & paper Shadowrun days.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:02 AM »

Seen a review already - and it's a rather positive one (8/10). Whoo! biggrin

Tomorrow is almost here!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 25, 2013, 03:59:02 AM

Seen a review already - and it's a rather positive one (8/10). Whoo! biggrin

Tomorrow is almost here!

And now you can see mine, as well as 20 minutes of video that I captured:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/buy-this-game-chummer-we-review-shadowrun-returns/

Yea...it's that damned good.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 25, 2013, 06:09:04 AM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/buy-this-game-chummer-we-review-shadowrun-returns/

Ron I am curious, some other reviews have been a tad negative on the UI.  The only UI issue it looks like you had was the text boxes overlapping...or were there other annoyances with the UI?  (It doesn't matter to me, I backed at a fairly high level, so I am going to enjoy the hell out of the game).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 25, 2013, 02:03:13 PM

Ron I am curious, some other reviews have been a tad negative on the UI.  The only UI issue it looks like you had was the text boxes overlapping...or were there other annoyances with the UI?  (It doesn't matter to me, I backed at a fairly high level, so I am going to enjoy the hell out of the game).

The UI is pretty minimalistic.   I didn't find anything particularly problematic beyond the box overlap.  *shrug*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

just under an hour....

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »

no preload?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »

nope.  luckily it's only supposed to be about 2 gigs according to Steam.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2013, 04:14:44 PM

nope.  luckily it's only supposed to be about 2 gigs according to Steam.

Yep, it's a pretty quick download.   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

Anyone here considering making a module... (Tilt and Turtle, this directed to both of you nod )

NiM$
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 25, 2013, 04:05:21 PM

The UI is pretty minimalistic.   I didn't find anything particularly problematic beyond the box overlap.  *shrug*
What about the saving? Did the lack of manual saving ever cause a problem? Being able to stop when I want is a big plus.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 25, 2013, 05:38:27 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 25, 2013, 04:05:21 PM

What about the saving? Did the lack of manual saving ever cause a problem? Being able to stop when I want is a big plus.

Nah, the autosave as you transition to a new area is chunked up to being about 10-15 minutes max.  Even if you bailed mid-battle you'd only back up to the beginning of that area.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »

Ok. GT review has me interested.

Seems like a wasteland type game set in cyberpunk. That the gist?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

I have to disagree about the saving.  I just put about two hours into the game and the save system is atrocious.  Given how much time is spent investigating or talking to people, if you have to shut your game off unexpectedly plan to spend a long time replaying content. 

An example of this come from pretty early on in what I assume will be a main base/hub for the game.  The time between entering the Seamstress Union and leaving was almost 30 minutes.  There are about 5 different people within the building that you have to talk to including shop keepers and even a little bit of investigation.  If I had had to stop mid play though and go through all of that again I would have been pretty pissed off.

That said everything else about the game is exactly what I wanted and is quite wonderful, itís just a shame they blundered on such a basic level.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 25, 2013, 07:03:13 PM

I have to disagree about the saving.  I just put about two hours into the game and the save system is atrocious.  Given how much time is spent investigating or talking to people, if you have to shut your game off unexpectedly plan to spend a long time replaying content. 

An example of this come from pretty early on in what I assume will be a main base/hub for the game.  The time between entering the Seamstress Union and leaving was almost 30 minutes.  There are about 5 different people within the building that you have to talk to including shop keepers and even a little bit of investigation.  If I had had to stop mid play though and go through all of that again I would have been pretty pissed off.

That said everything else about the game is exactly what I wanted and is quite wonderful, itís just a shame they blundered on such a basic level.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but if you had to redo conversations wouldn't it be faster the second go because you already have read the dialog?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 25, 2013, 07:03:13 PM

http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=30546075#item_30546075 Developer speaks on why the saving is like that.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »

Those are more copouts than anything.

1.   Games are meant to be fun. Donít dictate to your consumers what they should consider to be fun.

2.    Simple fix, donít allow the game to save during combat.  While not saving in combat can be annoying, the gaps are long enough to be annoying even for basic play without the threat of death. From what Iíve seen so far, outside of combat people mostly stand in one place so there is no danger of what they mention outside of combat.  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:33:57 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »

I get why the stuck with the system during the combat phase.   Too bad they didn't allow save anywhere in the exploration phase.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 25, 2013, 07:10:12 PM

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but if you had to redo conversations wouldn't it be faster the second go because you already have read the dialog?

In theory yes, but since there are skill based dialogue options that can affect gameplay you canít just ignore everything because you may get an outcome you donít like.  Also, certain actions only open up if you pursue the right dialogue tree.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »

I put it my review - I think it prevents save scumming.  You make choices, you incur the consequences.  Still...I can't imagine it'd be hard to fix if there is enough outrage. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 25, 2013, 04:35:03 PM

Anyone here considering making a module... (Tilt and Turtle, this directed to both of you nod )

Nope, I've got enough on my plate, and I don't know squat about Shadowrun. I need to be very comfortable with a setting before I tell a story in it. My Neverwinter campaign draws deeply from Forgotten Realms lore, for example.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:16 AM »

Anybody who backed the Kickstarter know why the DocWagon item in game says it is consumed when used? It would kinda suck if this were a one-use item. Maybe it is once per mission or something?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 26, 2013, 01:38:16 AM

Anybody who backed the Kickstarter know why the DocWagon item in game says it is consumed when used? It would kinda suck if this were a one-use item. Maybe it is once per mission or something?

It looks like you get 5 of them (check your Stash once you have proper access to it) and yes, they're one shot items (or so based on how they're worded, and how you can buy more of them for 1000Yen each).

The bigger bonus IMHO is the one guy standing at the bar you walk into early on. He's a mite familiar for some reason or another... biggrin
I think that's more of a "your character will start the game with a SPECIAL ABILITY only available to backers" than the DocWagon stuff. You shouldn't be getting your crew killed that much anyway. Tongue

Also, SR is just absolutely awesome. I want to keep playing and yet I don't want to as otherwise I'll beat the included story too quickly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2013, 05:05:59 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 26, 2013, 04:09:37 AM

Also, SR is just absolutely awesome. I want to keep playing and yet I don't want to as otherwise I'll beat the included story too quickly.

Heh, I felt the same - had to force myself to quit.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 26, 2013, 04:09:37 AM

The bigger bonus IMHO is the one guy standing at the bar you walk into early on. He's a mite familiar for some reason or another... biggrin
I think that's more of a "your character will start the game with a SPECIAL ABILITY only available to backers" than the DocWagon stuff. You shouldn't be getting your crew killed that much anyway. Tongue

I actually stopped right when I went into the bar. Really liking what I saw in the early going. Nice tactical options, even on new characters. Hopefully the campaign is nice and long. And they are already working on the Berlin DLC.

I made a physical adept, what is everyone else using?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »

hey misguided - according to rons review and a few others ive seen the campaign is roughly
Spoiler for Hiden:
hours.  i spoilered it in case you were waiting to be surprised slywink
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2013, 05:29:10 AM »

though with a fairly robust editor and rabid fan base, my hope is that even without the dlc / addon campaign there will be A LOT of created content - and again considering the fanbase at least a few additions will be very good
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2013, 05:32:51 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 26, 2013, 05:29:10 AM

though with a fairly robust editor and rabid fan base, my hope is that even without the dlc / addon campaign there will be A LOT of created content - and again considering the fanbase at least a few additions will be very good

Hopefully, they'll give us a way to find the quality content amid the inevitable dreck.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2013, 05:38:11 AM »

im guessing that will be based mostly on word of mouth, trial and error and trusting your friendly local forums - so when the time comes make sure to post the best mods here!

*edit* a great example for this was ftl, where the dev pages actually featured a forum section that listed mods, their contents, current state, descriptions AND review/bug/impressions posts
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:40:29 AM by Doopri » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 26, 2013, 05:24:05 AM

I made a physical adept, what is everyone else using?

Went with an Elf - Decker with a focus on Ranged - pistols and a decent dodge. I've learned to really appreciate the decking whenever it comes time to hack. slywink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:30:31 AM by kronovan » Logged
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »

there are already modules up on Steamwork. I've installed two of the more highly rated
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:03:47 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

gonna wait on modules until I finish the main game, but it's cool to see them already starting to come out.

Because I can,
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »

I kind of want to get this and try out the builder. I like isometric view, and the world.

I was thinking it would be good to start very small and do like a one act play to start. I guess I will check out some tutorials when they start getting up and give it a try.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: