http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 01:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus: Does it get...different?  (Read 927 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:54:57 AM »

So, admittedly, the first few times you see a colossus, it's impressive.  I've done away with 6...but it's now just repetition. Find the proper way to climb on, stab the weak spot, repeat.

I have a feeling there is a plot twist coming (NO SPOILERS PLEASE) and am trying to be patient.

Does the formula change at all?  Is there more story development? Character development?

I mean, he's killing these beautiful creatures to raise some chick from the dead.  Whatever, right now I'm siding with the colossi. frown smile

Psst. NO SPOILERS PLEASE...
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:13:19 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
You just couldn't resist highlighting this spoiler could you, ATB? Luckily for you, there are no real spoilers since I haven't played the game.

edit: FWIW, I've read that the designers intentially left it ambigious as to whether the player should feel bad about killing the colossi.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:32:59 AM »

The variety of the colossus that you need to kill make the game interesting.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:41:27 AM »

their is somewhat of a twist, but not until practically the end.  It's a pretty short game, though I enjoyed the fact that each one was different (except for two, which i felt were about the same)

I agree there could of been more story plot, but I feel it definitely opened up the concept of having a game build around just boss fights that are very interactive.

To me, the game felt like just a intro of what's to come..sort of like setting up the stage to something bigger.  Because it lacked detail in the story, (sort of like in the beginning of a movie before they introduce the characters and plot) it makes it seem like there is something else they are working on.

..or maybe they just thought the colossi were cool enough that they didn't need a big story.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »

If you're looking for a major change in gameplay, no, not really.

As the game progressed I sort of felt like the tactics of taking down the colossi became less and less evident, which was refreshing.  They are some truly amazing colossi battles to come.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:52:16 AM »

Also it seems to be every four or eight collosi where the story kicks in. After you finish the eighth one there is a lengthy story cinematic.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 03:16:42 AM »

And I can say that it is worth every bit of repetitive gameplay to see it through to the end. Especially if you Played ICO, or you should at least play that next.

On top of the Bosses, the variety of areas to see and explore is astounding. Take a hour just explore the gameworld, you'll find some neat stuff, as well as stamina and health boosters.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 06:55:14 AM »

The formula is exactly the same - wander around trying to figure out where the colossi is, kill it, watch a new shadow appear in the ensuing cutscene, repeat.

That said, each colossi is different enough and the resulting gameplay required to take them is unique enough that it makes the experience completely worth it.

I'd give it another colossi or two before quitting, but past that there's a good chance that if it hasn't clicked for you yet it probably never will.  For me personally, it was one of the best games I've played this generation.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:31 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Does the formula change at all?  Is there more story development? Character development?
No, yes, yes.  In that order.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »

I'd give it another colossi or two before quitting,

Ha! Quit? On a game I paid money for? Pshaw!

I shall see it through to the end, but was just wondering if it changed a bit... thanks for the responses!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I'd give it another colossi or two before quitting,

Ha! Quit? On a game I paid money for? Pshaw!

I shall see it through to the end, but was just wondering if it changed a bit... thanks for the responses!

It can honestly be completed in a few days so you don't lose 80+ hours trying to complete it. At least get to the 13th one which is hands down one of the most epic battles I've ever played through.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »

Definitely push onward and finish the game. You will never find another game more epic in scale than this gem was.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 10:26:39 PM »

Liars!

The very next two colossi were vastly different.

minor colossi spoiler locations:

One was underwater and the other was in an arena.

Zounds!

The underwater one was awesome.

End minor spoilers.

Yippee!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: