http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadow Hearts-From the New World (Limited Edition) Out Today  (Read 3226 times)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:48:29 AM »

What's with the Swimming Suit Issues?   :roll:

Would be people want to play an RPG game made in Japan about the States?
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 04:55:27 AM »

Oh . . . my . . . I want that.  Bad.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 05:08:53 AM »

Oh, and Happy Birthday to you and TheMissingLink!!     biggrin
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 05:42:49 AM »

Now, they just have to announce the US release, and I'll be happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »

Quote from: "Galadriels"
Oh, and Happy Birthday to you and TheMissingLink!!     biggrin

Thanks!  You're getting me that deluxe Shadow Hearts - From the New World box for a present . . . right?   biggrin

I was looking into what's included in that box set and there's a good deal of substance there!  I REALLY wish the same sort of thing could be released in North America   :cry:   Lots of goodies there, including a nice DVD with some pretty cool features.

But what am I saying?  What I really JUST want is an announced release date for North America.  That's all I'm asking for!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:11:27 AM »

Thanks Galadriels!

And Christian, I'll get you that deluxe box set.  

(not)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:29:52 AM »

drool

Too bad we'll never see anything like that in the States.  frown

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

Is  that the new Shadow Hearts game? Why is the box in english if its from japan? Is that a stupid question?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 03:27:10 PM »

Why is it in English? Probably so as to let the rest of the world know of this wondrous, magical PREMIUM BOX, because we sure as hell won't ever be getting it. Buggerit.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 03:46:23 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Why is it in English? Probably so as to let the rest of the world know of this wondrous, magical PREMIUM BOX, because we sure as hell won't ever be getting it. Buggerit.

Is it a brand new game though fellow?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 04:00:05 PM »

Yup, looks to be Shadow Hearts 3.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 05:15:43 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Is  that the new Shadow Hearts game? Why is the box in english if its from japan? Is that a stupid question?

There tends to be quite a bit of English on Japanese boxes, often including the titles.  Someone more knowledgeable about Japanese language and culture would have to explain the 'why' portion though.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 06:42:39 PM »

Rage - I'm thinking there's a good deal of "Engrish" on the Shadow Hearts III stuff because this game essentially takes place in the States opposed to the whole European theme of the other two games.  Maybe they wanted a good deal of "authenticity" with that?  I dunno.  But Kevin Grey is right about how the Japanese have a fair amount of English when it comes to this sort of thing.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 07:45:49 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Rage - I'm thinking there's a good deal of "Engrish" on the Shadow Hearts III stuff because this game essentially takes place in the States opposed to the whole European theme of the other two games.  Maybe they wanted a good deal of "authenticity" with that?  I dunno.  But Kevin Grey is right about how the Japanese have a fair amount of English when it comes to this sort of thing.

Huh, cool. I want to try the game. I liked the first half of SH2, so I hope this comes over quickly.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »

'course, the problem is that they still haven't announced a US release date. Feh.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 08:38:42 PM »

'course, the problem is that they still haven't announced a US release date. Feh.

Has a new U.S. publisher been announced yet? Midway's director of marketing has already stated publicly that they probably would not publish any more Shadow Hearts games.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 09:06:30 PM »

Man, that sure is a lot of crap included.

I like that the "Swimming Suit" mag is the only thing not wrapped in plastic. biggrin

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 10:53:18 PM »

Happy birthday, TML!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 12:16:56 AM »

I don't get why is there is a smattering of English in Japanese RPGs, either.  In the Japanese version of Baten Kaitos, the whole intro was spoken in English, and a Japanese video of Dragon Quest 8 also showed the intro written in English.  Status screen screenshots often show some English words, but mostly Japanese.  It doesn't seem like it would help importers, as 95% of the game is still in Japanese.  Anyone know why they do this?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 12:29:46 AM »

From what I understand, Japanese are much more interested in learning a foreign language than we are.  I suppose that makes sense as there are far more English speaking people in the world than Japanese speakers.  As a lot of American culture makes its way over there, just as Japanese culture has come here.

I remember in one of the early MMORPG Japanese people would enjoy chatting just to work on their English.  I suspect the average Japanese game player would know far more English than an American knows Japanese!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 03:08:34 AM »

I got a creeping feeling that we won't a North American release of Shadow Hearts 3 any time soon, unless the game did surprisingly well in Japan.  However, the odds are heavily stacked against it.  Given that it will likely be overshadowed by the Square-Enix's 2005 Party this weekend, plus the release of GRANDIA III by Square-Enix next week.  

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/grandia3/

This is a pity as Shadow Hearts 3 just received a very high score by Famitsu, 35/40, and an equivalent of "Editor's Choice".  So this game is very high quality RPG.  

I guess a lot of people missed my question above about whether people in NA would want to play an RPG made in Japan about the States.  The top brass at Japanese publisher may conclude that the answer is no, given that a RPG made in the U.S. about Japan would likely receive little interest overthere as well.  When taking into account that Shadow Hearts 2 did only around 110~120k in NA, there is significant risk involved in bringing it over.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 03:24:06 AM »

I got a creeping feeling that we won't a North American release of Shadow Hearts 3 any time soon, unless the game did surprisingly well in Japan.  However, the odds are heavily stacked against it.  Given that it will likely be overshadowed by the Square-Enix's 2005 Party this weekend, plus the release of GRANDIA III by Square-Enix next week.  

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/grandia3/

This is a pity as Shadow Hearts 3 just received a very high score by Famitsu, 35/40, and an equivalent of "Editor's Choice".  So this game is very high quality RPG.  

I guess a lot of people missed my question above about whether people in NA would want to play an RPG made in Japan about the States.  The top brass at Japanese publisher may conclude that the answer is no, given that a RPG made in the U.S. about Japan would likely receive little interest overthere as well.  When taking into account that Shadow Hearts 2 did only around 110~120k in NA, there is significant risk involved in bringing it over.

::plugs ears::

I'M NOT LISTENING.  NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA

Seriously though, given the sales of the first two games, I could understand if it never made it to this side of the pond.  It doesn't make me any less dissapointed about it, but I can understand the reasoning.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 03:25:27 AM »

With such niche titles as Atelier Iris and Digital Devil Saga both selling well enough in the US to warrant sequels, I have to think Shadow Hearts 3 will make it here.  The SH US fanbase isn't huge, but SH2 was very well-received, and I think the fact that it's set in the US would actually make it more appealing to the US audience.  SH3 would probably sell about as well in the US as the first two games, but those sales are pretty much guaranteed, so hopefully publishers will take that into account.

IGN has a short hands-on preview along with some new screenshots and movies here.

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 05:56:38 AM »

Ouch!  Shadow Hearts 3 did only 52k unit last week.  When taking into account that most games in Japan sold 50% of its lifetime volume during 1st week, this is sad news.  

I would say that SH3 is actually the best RPG to come out so far this year.  The series has truly matured and is now equal to Final Fantasy in terms of production value.  

May you rest in peace.  Now go hide in a corner and cry.....
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 06:14:41 AM »

Gh. What is wrong with people? Shadow Hearts = good, damn it!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 06:53:44 AM »

Ouch!  Shadow Hearts 3 did only 52k unit last week.  When taking into account that most games in Japan sold 50% of its lifetime volume during 1st week, this is sad news.

Reading that made me have a single solitary tear run down my cheek.

If SH3 doesn't make it over here to North America the little man inside my head that tells me to buy certain games will die.

How the heck can I appeal to game companies to bring this over?!?!?!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 07:31:11 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

Reading that made me have a single solitary tear run down my cheek.

If SH3 doesn't make it over here to North America the little man inside my head that tells me to buy certain games will die.

How the heck can I appeal to game companies to bring this over?!?!?!

That sucks. Buy it you crazzy Japperanese people!! You buy all sorts of shit, buy this too!! Then bring it here.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »

IGN has further impressions from the Japanese version.  Also, they're apparently assuming the game will be released in the US, as they comment on how a character will be translated into English.  I hope they're right.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 12:11:18 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
IGN has further impressions from the Japanese version.  Also, they're apparently assuming the game will be released in the US, as they comment on how a character will be translated into English.  I hope they're right.

Egads that article really makes me want that game badly.  Really interesting stuff in there!  The characters seem more zany than the previous installments' characters.

I think that the last sentence is a pretty big compliment towards the game:

Let's hope that these [Kingdom Hearts 2, Phantasy Star Universe, Tales of the Abyss and Final Fantasy XII] are all as enjoyable as Shadow Hearts: From the New World.

If Shadow Hearts: From the New World gets released in North America I will get a Shadow Hearts tattoo on my body.  . . . . . maybe.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 03:06:26 PM »

No you won't.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 04:49:41 PM »

No you won't.

No, you won't.

And I want more zany characters, just less totally out there carnival sex innuendo.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »

I would say that SH3 is actually the best RPG to come out so far this year.  The series has truly matured and is now equal to Final Fantasy in terms of production value.  

May you rest in peace.  Now go hide in a corner and cry.....

Ouch indeed.  Only 52k first week Japan?  Bye-bye, Shadow Hearts.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2005, 04:30:22 PM »

I was kicking around an idea in my head during work today - does anyone remember the FANTASTIC trailers that were put out when Shadow Hearts Covenant came out?  I absolutely loved them.  I still have the "official trailer" voiced over by that pretty famous "movie voice" guy.

You know how trailers to movies really (usually) make or break whether you're interested in that particular movie?  Well, I think Midway did a lot of advertising for Covenant.  I remember seeing a lot of advertisements at Gamespot and the like.  And perhaps emulating what they did with Covenant, i.e. making a very cool, professional, and exhilarating trailer - and exposing it more so than the Covenant one.  I think I downloaded the trailer at the official site and it was naturally offered at Gamespot, IGN, and so on.  But it just seems like Midway went way too overboard with the flash advertisements or whatever.

So this is what I was thinking:  make a trailer for Shadow Hearts: From the New World.  Just like the great Covenant one.  Don't use NEARLY as much money for "graphical" advertisements through Gamespot and IGN.  Instead, perhaps make the game trailer be played at movie theatres.  I remember watching the Halo 2 trailer on the big screen and being wowed.  I think if Midway did that along with a small print advertising campaign and MAYBE cutting the price to $39.99, they could perhaps get some more U.S. interest.

Eh, anyways just a thought after I watched the fantastic Covenant trailer.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2005, 11:55:53 PM »

The Covenant trailer and the final trailer for Prince of Persia : TSoT are by far the two best game trailers I've ever seen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: