http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:54:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 and PSP!  (Read 1202 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152778

Yowza.  Check out the list of 30 games!  Sonic 1&2, Phantasy Star 2-4, Golden Axe, Vectorman, Ecco, Shinobi?  Damn I'm so far in I can't see the light anymore.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »

I'd say something about how I can (and have in some cases) already played these on my PSP via an emulator, but I won't.

Er, whoops. biggrin

Still a cool thing though. So many classic Genesis games out there. So many classic Genesis games I'll be able to replay (and rebuy) when the Wii comes out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »

Virtua Fighter 2 for T-MUTHA-F-W!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:34:59 PM »

Golden Axe is the game that caused me to lust after a Genesis. And when I was about to get one, my dad wouldn't let me buy it since he thought it the Genesis might not last long enough to be worth it (and I already had a NES). The friend to whom I was going to sell the NES in order to afford the Genesis bought a Genesis with Golden Axe instead. That made me sad.  frown
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »

Altered Beast! Phantasy Star! I had Genesis before SNES and it's still one of my favorite system.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:15:15 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I'd say something about how I can (and have in some cases) already played these on my PSP via an emulator, but I won't.

Last I checked the PSP Genesis emulator wasn't quite up to full-speed.  That'd make a big difference for some of these where timing is everything.

And I'd probably buy them for the Wii but the odds of me playing Phantasy Star IV on my TV is pretty slim in 2006.  Now on my PSP in the bathroom...   Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 08:28:58 PM »

Hmmm, might be worth a purchase just for Phantasy Star 4 in portable form...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 08:29:36 PM »

the fact that Phantasy Star IV cost 95 bucks on release boggles my mind!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:01:23 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Last I checked the PSP Genesis emulator wasn't quite up to full-speed.  That'd make a big difference for some of these where timing is everything.

And I'd probably buy them for the Wii but the odds of me playing Phantasy Star IV on my TV is pretty slim in 2006.  Now on my PSP in the bathroom...   Tongue

When I played around with it (but haven't done so in ages, so I don't know how good they are currently) Genesis games were around 90% perfect as far as not having to skip frames to keep up the frame rate with sound. In other words, they'd work perfect 90% of the time.

NES and GB were dead on accurate, while the GBA and SNES emulators have a ways to go. In a bit of off topic posting, a CPS2 emulator just popped up. smile

And I just looked over the list. Holy crap there are some fantastic games there! 3 Phantasy Stars, 3 Golden Axes, 3 Eccos, 2 Sonics, 2 Vectormans, Eternal Champions, and a partridge in a pear tree. I'll have to pick this one up just to support Sega.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:14:41 PM »

That looks like a very tempting PSP buy considering I never owned a Genesis.  They don't mention how the presentation will be on the PSP - do you think they will just windowbox the games to deal with the 16:9 aspect ratio?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:07 PM »

I will buy it for Columns alone.  Everything else is just gravy.  Hot, meaty, and delicious gravy.

I will even buy it for both systems!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 09:48:21 PM »

I want Road Rash 3, that game was so slick.

I have all the other games for my Sega already, all of them besides ROAD RASH! awww, I want it so bad!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »

Quote from: "Teggy"
That looks like a very tempting PSP buy considering I never owned a Genesis.  They don't mention how the presentation will be on the PSP - do you think they will just windowbox the games to deal with the 16:9 aspect ratio?

I'm guessing it'll be like Street Fighter Alpha 3 - the game will be available to play either windowboxed (chop off the sides to get the right aspect ratio) and in stretched (generally looks like crap) mode.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:08:23 AM »

Wow - I can't wait for this.  I have Phantasy Star 1-3 for the GBA, but I've always wanted to pick up PS4.  Also, I loved Sword of Vermilion.  I was looking forward to playing it on the Gametap service, but unfortunately, Gametap screwed up and made the game unplayable  :x

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 06:20:40 AM »

I may be the only one on the planet, but I am looking forward to Eternal Champion. I had it on the Genesis when it first came out. It was a freaking hard fighting game, but it had a lot of depth to it and it was different from all the Street Fighter clones coming out in those days.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
I may be the only one on the planet, but I am looking forward to Eternal Champion. I had it on the Genesis when it first came out. It was a freaking hard fighting game, but it had a lot of depth to it and it was different from all the Street Fighter clones coming out in those days.

My brother and I used to try over and over to do the "fatalities" in that game, they were freakishly difficult and rarely worth the effort!  But we did play that game quite a bit!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 01:37:52 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"

My brother and I used to try over and over to do the "fatalities" in that game, they were freakishly difficult and rarely worth the effort!  But we did play that game quite a bit!

The fatalities were rather interesting. Thankfully the core fighting game was pretty good (for its time). And of course, if you're an EC fan, you had to have gotten the Sega CD version.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »

Yep, I had the Sega CD version. I wonder which version is on the upcoming compilation. Probably the watered down cartridge version.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »

Random thought - the pirate/emulator community is really looking forward to the release of this game on the PSP. Why? The Genesis emulator (after playing around with it this morning) is just not up to snuff. Even at 333mhz (where every other game on the console is running at 222mhz).

My original 90% is pretty much the truth. The games play well, but just a bit slower than the real thing. The games are still perfectly playable though.

But anyway, the emulator crew reminded me of the Dreamcast Genesis collection (they released some 10 games in a combo pack years ago) - the emulator guys reversed engineered the emulator that Sega used and allowed it to play the entire Genesis collection. Until that time, there wasn't anything close to the real thing on the Dreamcast.

Will I buy this collection in the end? It'll depend on how many of these games I've already repurchased on the Wii. Although, having it portable would be nice...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: