http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:30:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafx games on the Revolution  (Read 1484 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:04:53 AM »

In addition to NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube titles, games specifically developed for the SEGA Genesis and for the TurboGrafx console will also be playable on Nintendo Revolution. Not all of them -- but the best of them will be.

That's from the ign notes on the Iwata keynote.

Um hell yes, hopefully they do us right and give us some really great games. It's time to start looking through the libraries of past TG16 games I loved and beg and plead for virtual console support. Hell I want CD game download support. They had so many great games that people missed on the Turbo Duo etc. Shame Working Designs went out of business because they had a slew of great TG games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:15:12 AM »

K screw the Xbox360 and PS3, the Revolution is shaping up nice.

I want good games to play, aka classics.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »

Ughhh!  I don't-the only thing most old games have in common is that they suck.
At least compared to todays offerings.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:57:14 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Ughhh!  I don't-the only thing most old games have in common is that they suck.
At least compared to todays offerings.

I agree.  I prefer to preserve my good memories of the classic Genesis and Nintendo games.  I have found that playing them now after being exposed to today's technology makes me wonder what I ever saw in them.  I understand why some people see backwards compatibility and retro gaming as an adantage for the Revolution.  I am not one of them.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:27:58 AM »

This move is so incredibly smart for Nintendo.  It seems like they have recognized the emulation fans.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 01:32:06 AM »

More than just Classics Nintendo Games...

I can't wait to play TG 16 Classic RPG games.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »

I hope some of the RPGs I never got to play, like the Shining games, are part of this "best of" list.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:41 AM »

Holy Crap, I want Golden Axe so bad. And Slaughterhouse. And Streets of Rage ... and, um ... you know, I guess I didn't play the Genesis all that much. Still cool news.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:03:27 AM »

wow, so nintendo isnt just backwards compatible, its really really really backwards compatible.  its like, deliverance compatible or appalacia compatible
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 02:33:20 AM »

Impossamole!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 02:47:27 AM »

this just in, Revolution will play Amiga, Atari 2600 and 7200 and full Mame support out of the box... :-P

You'd think Nintendo would focus on making new games...

Hopefully they don't use VC as a crutch, because I'll be damned if this machine just turns out to be a easier to use emu machine...

Okay... got my concern for the moment out, but who am I kidding, I was on the fence before, but honest to god, Pc Engine/TG16 support pushes it over the edge. Ninja Spirit, hello, Slaughterhouse, Bonk oh god I could go on and on and on. I owned probably 75% of the TG library, not counting CD based games. If the Super CD games were eventually supported I know I would spend up to 20 bucks on some of them.

I'll have to let my buddy know about this, he and I played a D&D game on the TG16 for months on end, Order of the Griffon, it was a lot of fun, he'll kill to be able to play that again.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 03:17:21 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Impossamole!

haha i loved that game.

I still have my TG16 and all my games still.  I also have the "brick" size TG16 portable as well.  Bonk's Adventure was awesome.   I still have one working design rpg, Kadash..or however it was spelt.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 03:24:02 AM »

Chrono Trigger.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 03:25:45 AM »

Back in college when my wife and I first met we loved to play a little Genesis game called Gain Ground.  It was a co-op shooter similar to gauntlet.  We both loved that game and always wanted to play again.  My wife isn't really a gamer, but when I found a copy at EB I bought the game and a used Genesis for $25. I  ran home to rekindle the old flame (in more ways then one  biggrin ).  

....We played it for about 10 minutes before we were both blown away by the ugliness of the graphics.  The Genesis has been in the attic ever since.  Thus I have zero interest in buying a next gen console to play 16 bit games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:10:52 AM »

I have a question for those excited by the Revolution's super backwards compatability... Have you ever tried emulating games on your PC?

I know its a bit of a grey area (ok, its just plain illegal), but I am just currious what the big draw is.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
I have a question for those excited by the Revolution's super backwards compatability... Have you ever tried emulating games on your PC?

I know its a bit of a grey area (ok, its just plain illegal), but I am just currious what the big draw is.

Hmm, how to answer.  Ye-no-s Feds arent going to kick my door in are they?  The thing is, playing these games from a comfy couch on a big tv sounds a lot better than sitting at my computer to play the games.  What would be really cool, is if they sold a set of controllers for each old system... probably wont happen, but it would be cool.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 10:02:20 AM »

^  That is the best avatar ever.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 11:31:05 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

I used to have a ton of emulated games that I "owned" the cartridges for.

However, if you want good Pcengine/TG16 emu you need to pay for the better emulators.

On top of that, getting Roms is a pain in the rear end. Tons of dead end sites, shady sites etc.

A lot easier on the conscience and a lot easier to get and play if you get them over Virtual Console. That way I can legally own a copy on my flash memory, I can hopefully find harder to find games and I can play them on my TV with ease. Nothing to configure, no crazy settings to mess with.

I mean to play some of todays emulators you really gotta know some stuff.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »

Honestly though guys, don't you waste enough time gaming with modern games nevermind some crappy 8 bit games?  I mean come on, they're fun for 10 minutes for the nostolgia factor and then you have to think to yourself, 'jeez I actually liked these games??'
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »

there are pros and cons..I can understand picking up a few of the old classics but I wouldn't be set to get them all (though I always have that collectors side of me that wants all of one thing)

I might consider picking up classics I might of missed, or just ones I really loved.   But most games that I loved, I still have.  It's a trip to the closet and hooking up the old system.  

If they end up costing a good penny I'll pass.  But if they are decent I'll pick up a few.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 07:32:47 PM »

Y's  Book 1 & 2 from the CD system? will it be there? I hope so... also Shapeshifter. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »

Shadowrun from the Genesis, Phantasy STar 2-4. biggrin
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 03:01:02 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Honestly though guys, don't you waste enough time gaming with modern games nevermind some crappy 8 bit games?  I mean come on, they're fun for 10 minutes for the nostolgia factor and then you have to think to yourself, 'jeez I actually liked these games??'

some of us, I mean a lot of us, value the old school feel, and the nostalgia, don't try to piss on our fun because you don't get the same feelings. :-P  :wink:

I'll play older games all the time, a lot of times they're light years better than most new titles. Also, most of the folks interested in this stuff doesn't give two darns about graphics etc. eventhough I could argue that games like Crono Trigger still hold up, and a lot of the TG 16 games are beautiful in their own rights.

The Mona Lisa is a several hundred year old painting, there are many new paintings that are more advanced, use different techniques and look more modern and "better" however that never detracts from the enjoyment I derive from studying Michaelangelo's work. Nor does it mean I don't enjoy new artwork. I think if you can wrap around that, then you understand why so many of us truly enjoy playing oldschool games.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=91942 The above link to GAF has a link to Famitsu confirming Super Cd Support. Otherwise, really good games. Hopefully some of these companies will finally translate some of these titles. The PC Engine was so big in Japan, it's a shame that NEC mis-management killed the machine here. Now all I need to hear is that someone is picking up Working Designs pieces and releasing games on virtual console.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 04:24:34 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
The thing is, playing these games from a comfy couch on a big tv sounds a lot better than sitting at my computer to play the games.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Xbox

Fo' real, yo.

I want to play Air Zonk again.  I probably shouldn't touch Bonk again.  Now way it can be as good as I remember it.

Never owned a Genesis so that's cool.  How weird will it be to play Genesis games on a Nintendo console?  It's like Russia joining NATO.  Oh wait...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 04:48:32 AM »

Honestly though guys, don't you waste enough time gaming with modern games nevermind some crappy 8 bit games? I mean come on, they're fun for 10 minutes for the nostolgia factor and then you have to think to yourself, 'jeez I actually liked these games??'

From what I understand, the Revolution will update the graphics of the classic games, too.  I'm assuming that'll be across the board and include these games.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: