http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Section 8: Prejudice  (Read 1480 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »

it's just been announced, and it's a full blown sequel, and here's the trailer.  it looks pretty cool  thumbsup  I don't have any audio at work, but I'm hoping they say something about having an actual SP campaign this time around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »

Nope, no mention of single player in the trailer.  Just a voice-over of some guy acting tough and making sly digs at Halo. 

The funny thing is that the original Tribes successfully launched without a single player campaign 12 years ago.  I guess we just expect much more now. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »

beta signups are up.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »

just checked the main site and it looks like this is only going to be 15 bucks.  that's more tempting than what they wanted for the first game.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »

Well, I picked up Section 8 since it's ridiculously cheap on Steam today, and had a go.  GFWL, bah!  Still, I have to admit that it gave me no problems this time and it wasn't long before I was playing.

Why did this game die so quickly?  It's pretty cool!  I got straight into multiplayer without knowing what the hell I was doing but was soon picking it up.  There are so many good concepts in here...jetpacks, overdrive (sprint for a few seconds and suddenly you're running at Superman speed), little side-missions that pop up so you never get bored just defending control points.  I even saw a few players walking around in huge robot shells too, and they were hard to put down.

Usually I suck at MP shooters but one reason I'm enjoying Section 8 is that it's slightly slower-paced than the rest.  Unlike other games, there's no chance of being killed time and time again in one shot by some sniping bastard who knows the map inside-out.  Even during my very first game I was making some kills of my own and having a blast.

Oh yeah, one of the best mechanics I've ever seen in a game like this - every time you respawn, you literally fall out of the sky onto any part of the map you like.  You can either fall straight down to the ground for the element of surprise, or at a given altitude you can hit the brakes and control your descent.  Not to mention things like building sensor arrays, minigun turrets, AA turrets (to dissuade your opponents from trying to airdrop in territory you control).  S8 really lends itself very well to team play.

Come on guys, it's cheap as chips on Steam at the moment - give it a try!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »

Well the thing was, it looked terribly generic, and there were issues with overall implementation that people found over time. It was also a multiplayer only game that was competing against all the other games at the time.

The latest version, Prejudice seems to fix a lot of those, even going as far to include extra options for co-op and such. The match system actually goes and tries to put more side missions in if the teams are somewhat imbalanced to try to even the odds.

I'll probably pickup Prejudice if it's cheap and I can get a pack for my friends and co-op.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »

Dammit Raz! you be quiet.  You make this sound way too much like Tribes!  I just bought Bad co 2 for the PC, I don't need another multiplayer shooter.  Plus I missed the sale, I think I am safe...unless it goes back on sale at the end  mad

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 29, 2010, 04:51:18 PM

Dammit Raz! you be quiet.  You make this sound way too much like Tribes!  I just bought Bad co 2 for the PC, I don't need another multiplayer shooter.  Plus I missed the sale, I think I am safe...unless it goes back on sale at the end  mad

it's still on sale for the next hour or so  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »

Were you talking to me? icon_smile

Go on, pick it up!  The servers, reportedly all but abandoned earlier in the year, were alive last night with loads of others who'd bought from Steam.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 29, 2010, 05:16:57 PM

it's an easy mistake  Tongue

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

Go on, pick it up!  The servers, reportedly all but abandoned earlier in the year, were alive last night with loads of others who'd bought from Steam.

Haha yes I was.  That's twice I have done that in the last two days.  Usually it is Raz tempting me with multiplayer shooters.  he has some strange fetish where he gains immense pleasure from me fragging him.  Strange I know, but who am I to deny him such happiness.  I dodged this one but if it goes back on sale I am prolly screwed.

morlac00 on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »

Well the more I play it, the more I like it.  It's only the bargains I keep picking up in the current sales that stop me playing it exclusively.  For someone like me, i.e. almost totally inept at shooters, it's fantastic to play a MMOFPS in which I can actually compete.  Hell, last game I played I actually had 9 kills to only 5 deaths!  I was a camping, sniping bastard for most of it. icon_biggrin

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 31, 2010, 09:28:14 PM

Haha yes I was.  That's twice I have done that in the last two days.  Usually it is Raz tempting me with multiplayer shooters.  he has some strange fetish where he gains immense pleasure from me fragging him.  Strange I know, but who am I to deny him such happiness.  I dodged this one but if it goes back on sale I am prolly screwed.

I have a brand new tank round with your name on it, as soon as BF3 comes out, you bastard! And why? I THINK YOU KNOW WHY!!!

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 31, 2010, 09:40:27 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 31, 2010, 09:28:14 PM

I have a brand new tank round with your name on it, as soon as BF3 comes out, you bastard! And why? I THINK YOU KNOW WHY!!!

You know I'm in the beta for that BF4Free thingie.  It isn't terrible... Just saying...if you know...you need a fix or something.  KABOOM   

morlac00 on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:14:56 PM »

Shoot him for me too, Morlac.  I've been dying to frag Raz in something for ages now and haven't yet had the chance!

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 31, 2010, 10:14:56 PM

I've been dying to frag Raz in something for ages now and haven't yet had the chance!

Is that what you kids call it nowadays? ;-)

And Thanks Morlac, I may just give it a go...although, from what I've read, its not really that good or interesting.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »

preview from PAX.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »

behind the scenes video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rt3UVEyh4&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2011, 09:18:34 PM

Aww, this video is marked private.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 02:21:12 AM »

looks like we'll see this on May 4th via Games for windows Live (and I imagine Steam and Direct2Drive and...)

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

there's also a new behind the scenes video, plus loyalty rewards:

TimeGate also unveiled a loyalty rewards program for its dedicated Section 8 fans. TimeGate will unlock Section 8: Prejudice equipment upgrades for players of the original Section 8, based on the Level they attained as of April 20th, 2011.  Anyone who played the original Section 8 will instantly unlock Aegis Armor and the Reactive Plating upgrade, while those who reached Level 25 will additionally unlock the Ablative Plating upgrade. The very dedicated players who attained Level 50 will also get the Explosives Amplifier upgrade. Provided players have not changed their Microsoft Gamertag or PlayStationŽNetwork ID, the upgrades will be unlocked automatically.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 01:52:05 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2gm0U5EUQ

damn the 360 for getting this first.  on the plus side hopefully they'll be able to iron out any bugs found in the wild first.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 02:03:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 01:52:05 AM

damn the 360 for getting this first.  on the plus side hopefully they'll be able to iron out any bugs found in the wild first.

Yeah, I'd prefer simultaneous launch of course, but if they follow MNC's example and launch solidly on the PC with good support I can wait an extra couple weeks.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »

Supposedly Prejudice is $15 so I checked Steam and it's cheaper than the first one at $13. Is it any fun though? I was in the beta for the first one and it was fun but after release there were just not enough people playing it . Is this one full of folks online? It's out on PC. If it plays like the first one then it's fun.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 14, 2011, 02:03:06 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 01:52:05 AM

Yeah, I'd prefer simultaneous launch of course, but if they follow MNC's example and launch solidly on the PC with good support I can wait an extra couple weeks.

I wonder if Amazon will have the PC downloadable version since I have more credits burning a hole in my pocket there, it'd be free for me at this point icon_twisted

[edit] a look at the single player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT5EjmHWqhU
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:00:47 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »

some reviews of the 360 version to get an idea of how things are.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 03:37:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2011, 11:33:34 PM

some reviews of the 360 version to get an idea of how things are.

Well, I decided to go for it and preorder this one on Steam since it is on sale.  Is anybody else getting this?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »

I was planning too, but now the new Mount & Blade is coming out practically at the same time so who knows which will end up getting the bulk of playtime before Brink and then The Witcher 2 hit.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

just a heads up that this does indeed use Games for Windows Live no matter where you buy it.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »

Any impressions yet?

morlac00 on PSN
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »

I've put about 12-ish hours into it over the last week in preparation for a GT review, it's definitely worth buying for $15. I would say my concern is the longevity of the player base but at $15 you don't have much to lose. There's a SP campaign too.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »

I put a couple hours into that single player campaign and while it isn't great by any means it also isn't bad.  A pretty serviceable single player campaign, and more than I would have expected from a $15 game that I mainly bought for multiplayer anyway.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

they hit the 10 million kills mark, so Assault Mode is unlocked.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »

the Overkill map pack is due out on June 1st.  it's only 2 new maps, and I'm not sure if it'll be free or paid DLC.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: