http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second Guessing 'Second Sight' (PS2 version)  (Read 1937 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2004, 04:46:05 AM »

I was estatic when this game finally came in last Thursday.  I'm a huge psionics fanboi--anything with a drip of psychic power in it gets my immediate attention.  "Psi-Ops" was a huge hit with me for that reason.

That being said, I'm sad to admit that "Second Sight" is the first psionic-enabled game I'm going to to trash.  In fact, if I wasn't able to pawn it off to the fantastic SwapYourGames.com* for the same $20 I spent on it, I'd be pretty ashamed of my purchase.

The graphics are cartoony and stupid.  The animation job makes me think I'm controlling Pinocchio, not a human being.  The voice acting seems to have been done by a team of two or three.  The camera angle utterly blows, both in the "free rotate" and in the "cinematic" mode.  The stealth aspect is contrived and exceptionally weak, considering the ramifications of being spotted:  endlessly respawning guards.  The control layout was apparently designed by a mammal lacking opposable thumbs, as the two most critical buttons -- lock target and fire/use psi power -- are mapped to shoulder buttons.  Hugging a wall is rigid and poorly implemented.  Moving from one target to the next takes forever, as the scroll speed on the right Analog Stick is ungodly slow.

Oh, and the main character is a complete dork.

Conclusion:  This game is not worth my time, let alone the $20 I spent on it.

(* PM me if you want more info on SYG.com -- it's a great site, and I could use the referrals.)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 03:04:19 PM »

Before you get razed, I'll chime in with agreeance. I pretty much agree with every point you made above, and I'll also throw in the damage modeling is extremely bad.

Due to what I felt were poor controls, I kept getting pinned or cornered, and they'd run up to me, and shoot me FIFTEEN TIMES in the face, and my health bar would still be at 25%. ugh.

I also hated the fact that bullets had those goofy tracers on them. I always thought that was goofy in Hitman 1 and 2 as well.

People say the story is good (or great), but I'll never know, because the game's faults completely took me out of the story. It was just something I couldn't get past.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 04:22:46 PM »

The graphics are cartoony and stupid. The animation job makes me think I'm controlling Pinocchio, not a human being

That probably has more to do with the fact that you're playing it on a PS2 instead of an xbox.  :wink:

seriously though, i didn't think it was THAT bad.  I picked it up on the cheap as i too loved psi ops.  while i agree that ss doesn't hold a candle to po in the combat and psionic power arenas, i do think it has a stronger story.  

if i were to suggest one of the two though, i'd probably say psi ops.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Before you get razed, I'll chime in with agreeance. I pretty much agree with every point you made above, and I'll also throw in the damage modeling is extremely bad.

Due to what I felt were poor controls, I kept getting pinned or cornered, and they'd run up to me, and shoot me FIFTEEN TIMES in the face, and my health bar would still be at 25%. ugh.

I also hated the fact that bullets had those goofy tracers on them. I always thought that was goofy in Hitman 1 and 2 as well.

People say the story is good (or great), but I'll never know, because the game's faults completely took me out of the story. It was just something I couldn't get past.
I agree 100% with all those points.  Damage modeling was laughably bad/unrealistic--why do opponents drop in two hits while I can take three clips from an SMG without dying?  It was FAR easier to run & gun through levels than it was to stealth them.

Oh, and the gunshot sound effects were undoubtedly the worst I've ever heard in a game.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 05:05:23 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
That probably has more to do with the fact that you're playing it on a PS2 instead of an xbox.  :wink:

seriously though, i didn't think it was THAT bad.  I picked it up on the cheap as i too loved psi ops.  while i agree that ss doesn't hold a candle to po in the combat and psionic power arenas, i do think it has a stronger story.  

if i were to suggest one of the two though, i'd probably say psi ops.
Some of the animation issues might be PS2-native, but the art direction just bothered me... it's as if Free Radical built every NPC from the "Smoking Man" character model in the original Half-Life on the PC.  (And I'm talking from a strictly graphical standpoint, not a character development one.)

Jeff hit the nail on the head:  screw the story, I couldn't begin to care about it with how atrocious the rest of the game was.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 06:52:54 PM »

I had a pretty good time with the game.  Parts were frustrating, but the story was good.  The only problem I had was the unrealistic alarm system.  Even if you had cleared an entire level, if one of the last guys sees you and sets off an alarm instantly out of nowhere the entire level is filled with tons of enemies, who just keep reappearing with no stopping.  If you wanted to stop the alarm, you have to find a bathroom door or a closet, which was kind of difficult when all of a sudden you are surrounded by 20 enemies who appeared out of thin air.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 02:55:17 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I The control layout was apparently designed by a mammal lacking opposable thumbs, as the two most critical buttons -- lock target and fire/use psi power -- are mapped to shoulder buttons.  

I really don't understand this complaint. You are using the two analog sticks to move and turn, how are you going to shoot and target using the face buttons (x,o,triangle square)? Every FPS I've playing on a console has mapped the firing commands to the shoulder buttons.
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 03:08:30 PM »

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I thought the graphics were just fine.  I do have the xbox version though.  I have seen 'more realistic' graphics in games, but the 'style' or 'flavor' of the graphics works for me.  You guys make it seem as though there were stick figures walking around or something!  smile

As far as the 'danger factor' goes, there are plenty of games where it takes many hits to kill the player.  I see it as just part of the gameplay.  If it only took 1 shot to kill you, some players may have found the game too difficult.  I dunno what the developers were thinking in this case.  I am no gaming guru, but there were plenty of times where I was gunned down with impunity!

The story was great.  It actually made you care what was going to happen next.  My only complaint is that the ending kind of tied things up too neatly and abruptly.

If there was another SS, I would pick it up for sure.

But, from the previous posts, I will check out psi ops! :wink:

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »

I actually like the graphics.  They're obviously highly stylized just like a lot of other games out there.  Anyone who plays Japanese RPGs or Nintendo games should be used to them.  But I guess this particular brand of stylization doesn't tickle everyone's fancy.

I have to agree on several complaint points, though.  The voice acting is average at best, clunky at the worst.  The camera control is also a killer.  How can I sneak around when I can't move the camera to an acceptable viewing angle?  Sometimes the camera gets stuck pointing straight down at me when I'm trying to inch around a corner.  Next thing I know I've got 5 goons shooting at me.  And the fact that I can run from them, crawl in a hole and magically disappear is really goofy.  Then again I just finished playing Splinter Cell: PT so this stealth feels strange right now.  I realize the gameplay is supposed to be streamlined and accessible, but it just isn't all that smooth overall.

However I do feel the button mapping is ok.  Right trigger is almost universally the fire button, and the left trigger just feels natural to me to pull for the lock-on.

Bottom line though is that I'm really enjoying the story.  I just hope I can persevere long enough to see it to the end.  It had better happen soon 'cause Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will be sucking up my time for the next few months.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »

Was this game done by the same peeps that did Timesplitters?

morlac00 on PSN
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 04:11:34 PM »

Yes
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 04:14:43 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
And the fact that I can run from them, crawl in a hole and magically disappear is really goofy.

Not only that, but I could be standing in well lit hallway, with two barneys looking right at me 20 feet away, and they'd ignore me. But when I hit the magic trigger spot (maybe it's 18 feet! away) then presto, their buttons were pushed and they'd spring into action. Once, I even picked up a trash can with telekinesis, and threw it directly at them... it missed them and bounced off a nearby wall and rolled in front of them. They just kept right on talking to each other .. and i was in plain sight! If i hit them with the can, they'd respond and chase me. This is the kind of amateur coding that took me out of the game.

Trust me, the A.I. in Psi Ops is 100x better. That game felt so much more professionally designed.  

I give kudos to the SS team for writing a good story, but you still have to keep people IN the story, and not laughing at your coding smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Yes

Bummer I rember reading about this title and looking forward to it.

morlac00 on PSN
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 04:44:37 AM »

I agree with Lord Ebonstone.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: