http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:12:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SD Memory for the Wii- How much will we need?  (Read 813 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »

Has anyone read anything about file saves or anything of that nature on the Wii? I'm curious if I need to start shopping for a deal on an SD card now in order to ease the total costs on launch day.

I have a 512 for my camera, but won't be doing double duty in that regard.

Ryan Davis at Gamespot says:

. A 64MB SD card costs about $10, while a 64MB Xbox 360 memory unit costs $40, and you can get SD cards as big as 4GB, which still only cost about $80.

Do we need 4 GBs? Should we plan to get a 1GB? Any news on what Nintendo recommends?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »

You'll be fine for a while.  512 mb is more than enough for game saves and the Virtual Console games are small enough it will probably take a good amount of time to fill up the card. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 15, 2006, 02:08:34 PM

You'll be fine for a while.  512 mb is more than enough for game saves and the Virtual Console games are small enough it will probably take a good amount of time to fill up the card. 

Agreed.

NES games run in the 64-512K range, SNES games run in the 512k-4MB range, and N64 carts run around the 8-64MB range (rough numbers all around). So use that as a very rough estimate as to how much space you'll need.

Me? I'll just get a 1GB card for like $15-$20 and call it a day. Visit here for a Newegg search of all 1GB SD cards they sell.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »

the systems ships with 512 flash memory already in the system, so I sure you'll be able to drop some save games on that. I thought I read somewhere that the system will only support up to 2gb of additional SD flash, is it even possible to limit something like that? Eitherway, it comes with 512 on board, which I can see getting full with Virtual Console games quite fast.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »

Agreed; I'd love if the onboard memory were doubled.  I can see VC games filling up mine pretty quickly too.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »

Wonder if its possible to copy the files from the SD to a PC for storage. Then just recopy the games you want to play. That way you dont need lots of different SD cards.

I know it would work in theory but not sure if any DRM it might use would make it not work, though since its back into the same Wii maybe it wouldnt be any issue.

Hmmm....

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on September 15, 2006, 09:04:14 PM

Wonder if its possible to copy the files from the SD to a PC for storage. Then just recopy the games you want to play. That way you dont need lots of different SD cards.

I know it would work in theory but not sure if any DRM it might use would make it not work, though since its back into the same Wii maybe it wouldnt be any issue.

Hmmm....

Now that is a very interesting theory. That'd be awesome if it worked...I'm doubtful though.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:33:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 15, 2006, 10:55:36 PM

Hmmm....

Now that is a very interesting theory. That'd be awesome if it worked...I'm doubtful though.

If you can drop pictures and things on the SD card for the Wii to display that means that a PC (or Mac) has to be able to read what's on the card.  And that means that the card is probably formated with a standard file system (FAT or FAT32 I think).  I guess this doesn't have to be true.  But I imagine that if a PC can't read the data on the card naitively, someone may write a program that will be able to read the data and pull it off to a hard drive. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »

Hmmm....

I'm sure that will be possible- you can do thie same thing with the data on PSP memory cards. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 12:59:08 AM »

Personally, I forsee the native ability to fully read the SD card that the Wii uses (even after files are copied onto it - so you can backup your save files if you wanted to). In addition, I give it 4 weeks before somebody cracks the Virtual Console so you can play whatever game you want on the thing.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 10:31:23 AM »

Will it use SD or SD mini?  I just bought a 1GB SD mini card for my phone.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »

Quote from: egrudzin on September 15, 2006, 11:33:05 PM

Quote from: ATB on September 15, 2006, 10:55:36 PM

Hmmm....

If you can drop pictures and things on the SD card for the Wii to display that means that a PC (or Mac) has to be able to read what's on the card.  And that means that the card is probably formated with a standard file system (FAT or FAT32 I think).  I guess this doesn't have to be true.  But I imagine that if a PC can't read the data on the card naitively, someone may write a program that will be able to read the data and pull it off to a hard drive. 

I would be you're right. It's so obvious...unless N pulls a Sony and makes it some kind of proprietary file system so that you can only view them on the Wii...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: