http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Scrolls, from Mojang  (Read 2576 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:22:30 AM »

Mojang's next game.   It sounds like it's going to be like a collectible card game from what they're saying on the site.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:05:00 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »

He should probably "finish" Minecraft first...  Roll Eyes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on March 02, 2011, 05:53:21 AM

He should probably "finish" Minecraft first...  Roll Eyes

You should probably realize they have a second team working on this before commenting first...  Roll Eyes

Sandwiches do fix everything.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »

Yes yes... but that second team could be finishing Minecraft too!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »

How the heck did they get that web domain??

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:51:44 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 03, 2011, 06:46:36 AM

How the heck did they get that web domain??

My guess?  A dump truck full of money.  smile

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

I am a little bit confused about this company.

At first Notch was a programming madman. The updates happened every day. The regular secret Friday updates were standard business. Then the game got really popular. Notch was making money by the truckload (as opposed to the previous bucketload). He created a company, hired people, things slowed down. I was very understanding since its hard to get things like this going. That was almost 6 months ago and it seems like nothing has happened since then. They didn't even make the portal work in SMP yet. Six months later and we get... beds. That would have been an afternoon project a year ago, but now its supposed to be the big accomplishment of Q1 2011. I thought hiring people was going to speed up development and add major improvements to the game.

Honestly, I'm ready for a big dev to steal the building block idea just like Notch did and turn it into a true DirectX game with a point. I like Mojang and will support them, but I am reducing my awe-status to the same level that I give to Cryptic Comet, Basilisk, Spiderweb, and Soldak.

So Scrolls. I love the idea, but I don't really trust them as a developer anymore. Even in the announcement and interviews they didn't mention what sets this apart from Poxnora, Guardians of Graxia, and the MtG CCG online games. Don't you think that would be important for potential fans to know or is having Notch's blessing supposed to be enough?

All the game really needs to be is cheap enough to justify collecting. That is something that WotC has failed miserably on, multiple times. It also needs to be streamlined and elegant enough to be intuitive, something GoG failed to do with all its fiddly combat rules.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

I still hold a lot of "awe-status" for Cryptic Comet and Soldak. And a little for Basilisk (mainly because the guy is a Hoosier like me and a lover of classic RPGs). I do think Mojang slowed down but partially this is because the money gave them time to really think about all the things they added, rather than just add tons of stuff for no purpose (read "slimes").

But Scrolls looks like a fun idea. I'm more excited for Six Gun Saga at the moment, but Scrolls looks similar but cool as well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »

Yeah, one thing you have to realize with Minecraft is that since they are now in beta that likely means that the majority of big feature additions are done.  This is generally the time when you try to solidify and polish things that are there, and as they say "the last 10% of work takes 90% of the effort".  Also, rewriting systems so that what was a "make it work" single player experience into a more polished multiplayer experience is not a quick and easy thing by any means.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

true, although i still miss the little updates and hints of upcoming ideas.  other than the achievements and hints at fighting a dragon, he's been pretty quiet lately.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

if you sign up for the newsletter you can opt in to be put in the running to be an alpha tester.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on March 04, 2011, 05:44:54 PM

I still hold a lot of "awe-status" for Cryptic Comet and Soldak. And a little for Basilisk (mainly because the guy is a Hoosier like me and a lover of classic RPGs). I do think Mojang slowed down but partially this is because the money gave them time to really think about all the things they added, rather than just add tons of stuff for no purpose (read "slimes").

But Scrolls looks like a fun idea. I'm more excited for Six Gun Saga at the moment, but Scrolls looks similar but cool as well.

I'm a hoosier too, seems to be a lot of us on the forums.  kind of odd.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:24 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 06, 2011, 07:48:39 PM

Quote from: baelthazar on March 04, 2011, 05:44:54 PM

I'm a hoosier too, seems to be a lot of us on the forums.  kind of odd.

Two questions: 1. Do you like boardgaming? 2. Are you a psychopath that chops people up?  icon_biggrin

Thanks for the newsletter word Ceekay, going to sign up now!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

signed up for the newsletter, although I'm not sure they needed the whole verification deal.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2011, 10:00:22 AM

signed up for the newsletter, although I'm not sure they needed the whole verification deal.

I agree. It seemed like I had to verify twice to get the thing to go through.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »

since this has nothing to do with the legal issues I'm bringing back the original topic: has anyone ever received a newsletter after signing up on the main site?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »

I love boardgaming, but I do think chopping people up sounds fun.  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

new trailer that shows very little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-NM-0P6LFY

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »

some info from Minecon, plus gameplay.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »

I am far less interested now. Online... Fairly boring looking board.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »

Seems to me that it's just another kind of collectable card game at heart. The board is a different touch, but it's all been done already by other online companies. Actually, there was a game out there that was decently popular, name started with a P, but you basically bought units like cards/scrolls in random packs.

CCGs can be fun, and the basic mechanics I see here can be a fine game, but it's been done before.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 01:28:34 AM »

Looks pretty unoriginal.  Take M:TG  eliminate mana and add sacrifice for power instead.  Then break up the life force in to 5 units and slap it on a grid.   Yawn.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

Nobody remembers Etherlords? It looks a lot like that.

I'm surprised at the lack of originality coming from the creator of Minecraft. Of course Minecraft was heavily "inspired" by that Infiniminer or whatever game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

Eh, given some time and refinement it could be much more. They still have some more development time and the Mojang does add major gameplay elements to their games.

Also, there is currently no similar, well supported, game on the market that works across all platforms. While there have been many other collectible style games before, they tended to be a bit insular.

If they went ahead and put this across many platforms as the same game, it could still make them quite a bit of money.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:34 AM »

the game will remain Scrolls.

The settlement is that we give them the trademark, get to keep the name, and won't make an elder scrolls competitor using the name.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 12:23:47 AM »

release plans:

We are rapidly approaching the closed alpha of Scrolls. Although this alpha version will be far from a feature complete version of the game, it will include multiplayer matches, single player matches vs AI and the Deck Builder, where you can build your decks out of the 100+ scrolls that currently exist in the game.

As we get closer to a stable build, we will stop the closed alpha, and move to an open beta, where you will be able to buy the game at a reduced price and with some added benefits (more about that later).

At that point, we will also look to include the single player world, where you can explore and do battle to earn new scrolls to your collection.

Keep in mind, that the beta will not be feature complete. We will still have a big bag of goodies that we plan to include over time, such as an auction house where you may buy or sell scrolls from each other and additional features in the world such as character customization, items, quests and so on. If youíre wondering why we would release a game thatís obviously not finished, the reason is simple: We want your feedback in good time to help us shape Scrolls to be the next big online Collectible Card Game!

So if youíre curious enough to pick up a copy of the game, please donít be shy. Hit the forums and help us out!

Because I can,
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:47 AM »

forums: "Coming Soon"

??
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

Apha invites are going to start going out today.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »

Are any of you in the UK?  Supposedly the December 2012 PC Gamer comes with an Alpha code for Scrolls.  I'm trying to get one through iTunes but I don't have high hopes.  If anyone can pick one up for me I'd be happy to Paypal the cost of the magazine or whatever.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »

FYI I actually did get an Alpha code, sweet!  Took a few days but no big deal; the issue was on sale on iTunes for $0.99 so I'm pretty happy.

I played the tutorial, pretty much what I'd expected.  I think it will ultimately play the best on a tablet, so hopefully games will all be cross-platform. 

I was a bit disappointed in the hex portion of the game, I thought it was a full chess board type but really it's more like MTG with layers, i.e. you can have multiple "things" (units, walls or whatever) stacked in front of the thing you are protecting.  In fact I don't see how making it a hex makes much difference at all but I barely scratched the surface.

Otherwise it plays very similarly to other CCGs.  Resources are the cards themselves so it's simplified from MTG's multi color system. 

I realize there's a ton of competition in the genre these days, but this one definitely seems like it good be a cut above, particularly if they can get games going seamlessly through all the major platforms.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

sounds like they are going to start the beta next month, with the same 'pay for the complete game to beta test' concept they did with Minecraft.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »

Been playing most of the day and I can't stop, it really hits the CCG and strategy game itch.  The game plays out like Heroes of Might and Magic except your units are the cards.  I've played about 6 multiplayer matches and lost everyone but it doesn't bother me you still earn gold so you can buy more cards.  My last game lasted about 30 minutes and the momentum kept shifting back and forth, really fun.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 01:39:28 AM »

I know there are three rarity of cards.    How rare is rare though?    I've been wondering this...   is getting a rare digital card really something you can get excited about, or will a 'rare' card mean that only 300,000 people have it instead of 600,000?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »

I like it, but if I'm going to play a game like this I think Cardhunter wins my time
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:15 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 07, 2013, 07:08:52 AM

I like it, but if I'm going to play a game like this I think Cardhunter wins my time

CH does seem like it has better value.  It's got a similar level of strategic depth and deck building elements and it's free.

Scrolls is pretty fun but I was expecting something a bit more original from the famous Minecraft creator.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »

Quote from: skystride on June 09, 2013, 03:36:15 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 07, 2013, 07:08:52 AM

CH does seem like it has better value.  It's got a similar level of strategic depth and deck building elements and it's free.

Scrolls is pretty fun but I was expecting something a bit more original from the famous Minecraft creator.

Scrolls is not from "the famous Minecraft creator", it's from his buddy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: