http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:59:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scribblenauts  (Read 7309 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:23 PM »

I hadn't heard of this game until E3 and was just reading a GAF thread about it.  All the hands on videos look great and it really looks like this game has endless possibilities.

For example:

"I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit."

Dinosaurs, time travel, robot zombies, God, Death, Vampires, Vampire hunters, Cthulhu, Kraken and moving a whale with balloons a fan are just a few of the 10,000+ items you can use in the game.  Sign me up!  I'd link to some hands-on videos if I wasn't stuck at work right now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:07:18 PM by GatorFavre » Logged

onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »

Trailer at:

http://www.scribblenauts.com/trailers.html
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »

seriuously - that looks damn cool! I'm sure the strange graphics will become less straining on the eyes as you play, thats the only thing I can say detracts from the game.

Thanks Gatorfavre for the headsup! will definetly look into this once it comes :-)

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

Robot zombies?  Is that even possible?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2009, 06:16:31 PM

you mean you aren't prepared?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2009, 06:16:31 PM

Just imagine a zombified Optimus Prime.  icon_biggrin .... If you can.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »

Quote from: onnel on June 05, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

I love at the end of the trailer when he summons a donut and has the cop run off after it. biggrin

This game looks like it could end up being a ton of fun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »

Game. Of. Show.  eek
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »

IGN has been talking this up for a while.  If they can pull this off the way they seem to (ie understand a ton of possibilities, instead of a handful of pre-chosen options), then it'll be awesome.  It also gives me hope for Milo.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »

Been looking forward to this for many months now. When it popped up in the system last week I reserved it immediately.
I fully expect this to be a GotY for me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

From Joystiq:

"Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level." 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »

Hilarious!  I've been waiting for this game to come out for a while.  Anyone know when it's due?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »

From Joystiq again:

We were extremely impressed with our time with Scribblenauts on the E3 show floor, but in a weird way, we felt this primal desire to conquer it. After an evening of brainstorming, we developed ten words we were certain would stump the game's seemingly infinite vocabulary -- the surprising results of our little experiment are posted after the jump!

1. Internet -- While we thought the developer wouldn't bother including something as intangible as the intarwebs, entering the word actually spawns a little computer. A little adorable computer. Scribblenauts 1, Joystiq 0.

2. Tattoo -- How could the game possibly render a piece of body art? By spawning a sheet of temporary tattoos, of course. Clever, Scribblenauts. Very clever.

3. Air -- How could you even tell if the game spawned air? Inputting this word creates a tiny puff of air that, when dragged and dropped, is absorbed into the surrounding air. 3-0.

4. Molecule -- No object is too small for Scribblenauts' vocabulary. We entered molecule, and received a tiny model of a molecule in turn.

5. Scribblenauts -- Instead of causing the game to become self-aware, an event that would certainly lead to the destruction of mankind, entering Scribblenauts causes the original character model for Maxwell, the game's protagonist, to appear.

6. Narwhal -- Not only did it cause a horn-touting whale to appear, but we were able to ride atop its back, crossing the liquid divide between us and a Starite. Incredible.

7. Lutefisk -- Sure enough, a bright white fish appeared and began to flop around the level. Oddly enough, a previously spawned Santa Claus ran up and ate the Lutefisk. He must have a cast-iron stomach.

8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

9. Stanchion -- The bulk of us actually thought this word was made up -- but Scribblenauts managed to spawn a weight-bearing post, which is apparently what a stanchion is.

10. Joystiq -- Upon entering Joystiq, the game brought up the spell check menu, asking us if we meant to spell "Joystick." We're willing to count this, but we're hoping 5th Cell can manage to include some representation of our site in the final product.

Final score: Scribblenauts: 9, Joystiq: 1. Good game, 5th Cell. Good game, indeed.

Narwhal?  Fantastic.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 06, 2009, 12:54:09 AM

From Joystiq again:
8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

eek icon_eek icon_eek

Holy mother of fuck. Just reading Joystiq's description was amazing enough, but the fact that the developer is actually taking words from the show floor and putting it into the game is just stunning.

I SO want this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »

That sounds amazing.  Thanks for the heads up.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 02:13:50 AM »

I can't even imagine how much work it must have taken to brainstorm all the different possible words, create their art, and code them.  There's no way these are procedurally generated, so we're talking about a team of developers with too much time on their hands.

I must own something as patently ridiculous and awesome as this.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »

i will say this - it's going to be definitely worth your time to check this out.

bound by NDA... can't say anything more.   ninja
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:27:23 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 06, 2009, 02:13:50 AM

I can't even imagine how much work it must have taken to brainstorm all the different possible words, create their art, and code them.  There's no way these are procedurally generated, so we're talking about a team of developers with too much time on their hands.

I must own something as patently ridiculous and awesome as this.

They used a dictionary. Seriously.
Basically, they have a laundry list of parameters like weight and attributes such as flammable or edible. These define how the various objects are able to interact with one another. Then each has an associated piece of art and presto.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »

That's what interns are for: have them go through the dictionary and assign parameters to every single word.  Obviously, it's not quite as simple as that, but it's definitely doable (as they've shown).  The actual software developers just have to set up the framework, not populate it....though of course, there are still art requirements.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on June 05, 2009, 11:28:09 PM

From Joystiq:

"Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level." 

Wow. This game might actually sell me a DS.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »

From Joystiq:

Can't.... stop.... laughing....

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »

From Joystiq:

That is 100 different kinds of awesome.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 03:43:16 AM »

If I had a DS I would buy this game immediately.  It actually has me considering buying one, though I doubt I would go that far.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »

Here's me hoping it will get ported to PC! Sounds amazing

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »

Typernauts.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

I've been thinking more about this game.

I'm just wondering how far it can go. What kind of depth will it have? Is it all just a series of short puzzles with a goal of 'reaching' the Starlite, or is there more to it overall? I really dig the overall vibe and the imaginitive choices at your disposal, but I wonder about it's depth.

Also, what happens when you summon "God"? I'd be interested to see that outcome.  smile
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on June 07, 2009, 10:06:59 PM

Also, what happens when you summon "God"? I'd be interested to see that outcome.  smile

Here you go.

I wonder what creatures rank between God and the Kraken in the dominance hierarchy.  icon_biggrin
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »

I have to know ...

"Mike Ditka vs a Train ... who wins?"  icon_smile
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »

Who's driving the train?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 08, 2009, 03:09:02 AM

Who's driving the train?
Walter Payton.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 03:26:21 AM »

Is there a fridge on board that train?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 05:42:28 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 07, 2009, 08:26:39 AM

Here's me hoping it will get ported to PC! Sounds amazing

I don't know, the PC isn't a very good platform for typing and pointing.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

I'm skeptical to this game. So far I haven't seen much actual gameplay, just the player spawning all kinds of objects to see how they'll interact with each other and the limited world. I can see that being fun for half an hour, but how is the rest of the gameplay? There needs to be some kind of actual challenge in here, not just a (admittedly fun) sandbox.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »

it's actually a puzzle game. there's a star that you have to get and you accomplish it by summoning different items. usually there's a trick to the star too.

ok this trailer actually shows off the puzzle part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

oh my the ending is hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:22:53 AM by jersoc » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:49 AM »

How about this? - God on a skateboard with a shotgun, fighting Cthulu.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 03:15:01 AM »

It's strange that this has become my second most anticipated game across all systems.  I really can't wait!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 04:05:53 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 11, 2009, 02:52:49 AM

How about this? - God on a skateboard with a shotgun, fighting Cthulu.

LOL, that kicked ass.  There is no way this game can actually be as cool as it looks...right?

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:46 AM »

wow.  WOW.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 04:58:20 AM »

WHEN CAN I GIVE THEM MY MONEY?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on June 11, 2009, 03:15:01 AM

It's strange that this has become my second most anticipated game across all systems.  I really can't wait!

I'm kind of feeling the same way.  When I first heard about this, I didn't think it was possible to pull off what they wanted to.  Also, while I really enjoyed Drawn to Life, the drawing stuff wasn't really immersive or anything.  You draw what the platforms look like, and the appear like that.  It doesn't really affect gameplay or anything.

But, damnit, they've got everything in there.

Cthulhu looks awesome, BTW.  And his natural rival is, of course, God on a skateboard.  I did not expect the battle to go down the way it did (maybe it had more to do with the shotgun).

When I read that description about going back in time, I thought they were just goofing around.  Getting satirical, even.  Of course it couldn't do all that crap.  But now I see the time machine in action.  Man, alive...

Amazon has a release date of October 1, but Gamstop shows 9/15.  I guess they're both placeholders.  Maybe it'll be next week!!!!!! drool
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: