http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SC:DA is good fun so far!  (Read 5054 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »

That`s simply it. I played the single player for a little while tonight and since Live! was down until just recently no MP for me until tomarrow crybaby. Overall I like the changes they made to the gameplay. It`s still good old SC, just better. The graphics, sound, and all of the presentation is amazing. The animation is super smooth from what I`ve seen. Well, I need to sleep so I can get my shit done early tomarrow, uhhh...today, rather...and sit my ass back down and play some more SP, then some MP. Anyone else got this yet?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »

Splinter Cell: Double Agent ?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36:52 AM »

Shadow of the Colossus: Deadly Alliance?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »

Sid Caesar: Dopamine Addict?

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:06:38 PM »

I'd like to hear any comments on the framerate.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2006, 01:06:38 PM

Well, the IGN review stated that it dipped below 30 at times.  However, we know the IGN review was written by some guy who was off tha hook.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2006, 01:28:26 PM

Well, the IGN review stated that it dipped below 30 at times.  However, we know the IGN review was written by some guy who was off tha hook.

Heh, yeah, but even as poorly as that review is written, it's very discouraging that it sounds like they couldn't maintain 30 fps. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »

I think the retinas of the fine folks in the South Carolina Department of Agriculture can process images as fast as any other human retina.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »

I'm sure the Scottish Community Drama Association is off da hook.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 03:05:22 PM »

Salty Cracker: Dark Avenger?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 05:31:22 PM »

I just got the game at lunch today and I would have to say my only complaint, having only finished one training map, is the load times.  It takes for ever to load.  I posted this before it would load the next course, and I am still waiting......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 06:03:46 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 18, 2006, 05:31:22 PM

I just got the game at lunch today and I would have to say my only complaint, having only finished one training map, is the load times.  It takes for ever to load.  I posted this before it would load the next course, and I am still waiting......

How about for quick loads?  I don't mind long initial level load times if quick loads are fast. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »

and what platform is the load times long? 360/ps2/xbox/pc ?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 18, 2006, 06:10:59 PM

and what platform is the load times long? 360/ps2/xbox/pc ?

Only the 360 version ships this week.  The rest ship next week. 
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 18, 2006, 05:31:22 PM

Well, those of us with a PSP will be used to those kind of load times, then.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 07:50:38 PM »

Gamespot review- 8.5.

Sounds pretty good but it seems more Pandora Tomorrow vice Chaos Theory (ie treading water vice a leap forward).  Which is fine- I really liked Pandora Tomorrow but it sounds like we might have to wait until next time out for another leap forward.

GS mentions the poor framerate on occasion which really bugs me.  By most accounts it's not a huge step up graphically from CT (indeed I think it's the same engine) so there is really no excuse for sub-30 fps performance IMO. 
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 08:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2006, 07:50:38 PM

Gamespot review- 8.5.

Sounds pretty good but it seems more Pandora Tomorrow vice Chaos Theory (ie treading water vice a leap forward).  Which is fine- I really liked Pandora Tomorrow but it sounds like we might have to wait until next time out for another leap forward.

GS mentions the poor framerate on occasion which really bugs me.  By most accounts it's not a huge step up graphically from CT (indeed I think it's the same engine) so there is really no excuse for sub-30 fps performance IMO. 

Well, when CT came out they did say that the engine was designed from the ground up for the 360, and then scaled back for CT on the original Xbox. That`s not to say it`s a ugly game at all. Far from it. Quite stunning actually.

And the framerate seems fine to me so far, maybe it dips and that really shouldn`t happen, but it doesn`t get bad at all from my experience so far. Live! is up and I`m getting ready to play some MP. I freaking loved the Mp demo!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »

Yeah Harpua, give us some retail MP impressions stat!   :slywink:

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 18, 2006, 08:03:04 PM

Well, when CT came out they did say that the engine was designed from the ground up for the 360, and then scaled back for CT on the original Xbox. That`s not to say it`s a ugly game at all. Far from it. Quite stunning actually.

Oh, don't get me wrong- Chaos Theory remains to this day one of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen and for DA to improve on that guarantees it's a good looking game.  Although I played the PC version of CT, I saw a bit of the Xbox version and it looked remarkably close to that.  But considering the best-in-class caliber graphics that Splinter Cell 1 and 3 set, then I certainly hoped that the first SC game for next-gen consoles would be a major leap forward too though that optimism was tempered a bit when I found it was Ubi Shanghai instead of Ubi Montreal working on it. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »

Gamespot review- 8.5.

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/vice vs http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=versus

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2006, 08:18:34 PM

Gamespot review- 8.5.

http://www.webster.com/dictionary/vice vs http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=versus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_city
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2006, 08:18:34 PM

Gamespot review- 8.5.

Aw man, I got hit by the grammar police frown

Preposition form in that link:

Etymology: Latin, ablative of vicis change, alternation, stead -- more at WEEK
: in the place of <I will preside, vice the absent chairman>; also : rather than
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »

I`ll be getting on really soon...I HOPE!!!! Tongue
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »

So did anybody pick this up yet besides Harpua3 I played the demo about 2 hrs monday night and really liked the multiplayer. So I caved and bought it at lunch today.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 11:34:30 PM »

If enough people get it and play multi... I'll probably pick it up for a couple weeks at least.  Up until R6 hits at any rate.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36:02 PM »

Yea I've got R6 on pre-order already.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 02:08:32 AM »

I think that i am going to fire this up and play some multi if anyone is on or wants to play, hit me up with an invite.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 02:47:42 AM »

no youre not papa hahaha!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 03:01:52 AM »

But I am.....and I am in a game with ping

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 03:13:25 AM »

We need to create a GT squad

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 04:18:30 AM »

I really just bought this for multiplayer.  The demo was that awesome.

But I fired up the single-player portion (because I can't connect to Live whenever I boot DA up) and the game LOOKS fantastic...

It's a shame, however, that I can't get further than the first few guards.  I've died like, 5 times, trying to get past the first few guards.  And this is on normal difficulty :/

And why give me a random bottle on the ground (to toss, I'm guessing to get the guards to react to a load *CRACK*), when wherever I toss it, the guards don't react to it!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 05:03:38 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2006, 04:18:30 AM

But I fired up the single-player portion (because I can't connect to Live whenever I boot DA up) and the game LOOKS fantastic...

It's a shame, however, that I can't get further than the first few guards.  I've died like, 5 times, trying to get past the first few guards.  And this is on normal difficulty :/

And why give me a random bottle on the ground (to toss, I'm guessing to get the guards to react to a load *CRACK*), when wherever I toss it, the guards don't react to it!?

Thats weird, I remember in Pandora Tomorrow the guards reacted to the bottle.  I'm on the fence with this one but I probably wont end up buying it just yet.  I'd love to hear more impressions though! 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on October 19, 2006, 05:03:38 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2006, 04:18:30 AM

Thats weird, I remember in Pandora Tomorrow the guards reacted to the bottle.  I'm on the fence with this one but I probably wont end up buying it just yet.  I'd love to hear more impressions though! 

I had difficulty in exactly the same spot.  Must have gone through that area nearly a dozen times.  But I'm the kind of guy who likes to sneak up behind every guard and capture them to see if they have intel.  It's really just that first guard that's a pain.  I think it might have to do with their alertness level.  For me, I had already opened the gate, so they were looking for trouble.  Also, I think you have to move a little more slowly in DA than previous games to avoid being detected.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »

Played it for about 3-4 hours last night, and thus far I'm completely hooked.  The new gadgets you get for doing better in missions is a great idea, and I really had an ethical dillemma at the part where
Spoiler for Hiden:
you have the choice to shoot that news helicopter pilot to gain trust with the JBA
  Can't say I've felt that in a game for a while.  I'm on the mission where you
Spoiler for Hiden:
infiltrate the tanker ship in whatever the ice covered hell level is called.

Did you guys
Spoiler for Hiden:
get all of the medical files, bios, and do the target practice on the 'introduction' mission with the JBA?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 02:40:49 PM »

Good to hear that it's at least a good SC game.  I was a little concerned after I played the 2 "Matrix" training missions last night.  They were just...odd.  Too bad the Montreal studio didn't do this game, though.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 02:42:42 PM »

Yep, one of the hardest first missions ever. I'm only 1/2 way through the second mission so far...and if the game continues at this level of toughness (even on 'normal'), I'll be a happy camper. I really like the challenge of it.

That said...it's been classic Splinter Cell gameplay with a couple new twists and gorgeous graphics.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

I've heard the game gets easier as it goes along.  Personally, I do it's pretty difficult.  I'm such a stealth genre whore that few entries in any series pose any difficultly. 

FWIW, evidently the Asian version is region free (and in English) and can be bought from Play-Asia for about $45.00. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 07:43:01 PM »

I played about 4 hours of multiplayer with Calvin last night and I am pretty pissed off at the online options presented in DA.

First of all, the co-op missions are straight up, you play as spies and that's it.  No special missions, no nothing; but it's still a good time.

HERE'S WHERE I HAVE HUGE ISSUES (and it's sort of hard to explain, so bare with me):

There are TWO types of matches, player matches and ranked matches.  Let's say you wanted to play with a friend, so there's 2 of you.  You cannot play a squad match (i.e. clan) because you don't have 3 players to fill out a team (plus all the players have to be in the same squad, so good luck playing with anybody not in your squad).  You cannot play a RANKED match because of that very reason as well. 

The player matches do NOT allow you to host a session, unless you want to play with friends.  FRIENDS - you have to have six people for a full game.  All, friends.  There's no way to host a game session to play with just a friend.  So you'll have a fun time entering random games, trying to get a friend invite sent out before the host either boots you or ends the game.

SO, basically, the only way to play with friends is to have 3 total and to all be a part of the same squad.  Or 6 people to fill a whole match.  UGH, so lame.

The SETUP is lame, but the actual MP is a freakin' blast.  Dawn Waves is a FANTASTIC map!

TheMissingLink on PSN
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2006, 07:43:01 PM

the co-op missions are straight up, you play as spies and that's it.  No special missions, no nothing; but it's still a good time.

True, but not true. you can create games where you play as the Mercs or as the spies.  They are 6 person levels, 3 per team... you decided what you want to be

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: