http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SC:CT(XBOX) tonight I should have it, anyone else?  (Read 4295 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:26:28 PM »

It looks like after dinner I`ll be running out to pick this one up. My EB say they should have it around 6pm. Anyone else getting early? I`m really looking forward to playing some online co-op goodness etc. All the reviews for it so far are great, and Ubisoft fixes all kinds of things with the series. I liked the others, I`ll love this one.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:39:51 PM »

I think I'm going to go with the PC version- its on sale at Circuit City and Fry's this week for ($37.99).  Also- the console versions are $37.99 at Fry's too (CC Console versions are $49.99).  

I probably won't get to it this week though.  Between the PSP and the three games I have for it, Act of War, and God of War (still in its wrapper) I'll have a hard getting to SC:CT until I knock one or two of those titles off my list.

The reviews are a bit bizarre to me.  They are almost uniformly through the roof but I haven't read too many that indicate that the single player is that much better than the previous two though there are a few obvious improvements.  The multiplayer is supposed to be pretty great but I'm single-player only.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »

I thought it was out tomorrow?  I'll have to call my Gamestop and check.  I pre-paid for it with a bunch of trade-in credit.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »

They fixed ALOT in the single player from what I`ve read. The alarm system is alot better, same with the ai, and overall it`s alot more open ended and not as difficult from what I`ve read. Once I play, I`ll let you know.

Most stores tomarrow through thursday I think, but my EB should be getting them early. They said after 6pm or so tonight. Give `em a ring if you want :wink: .
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 08:48:34 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
They fixed ALOT in the single player from what I`ve read. The alarm system is alot better, same with the ai, and overall it`s alot more open ended and not as difficult from what I`ve read. Once I play, I`ll let you know.

The non-linearity is my primary concern.  I've only read that its a bit more non-linear than the previous two (which were practicallly on rails).  I was hoping for more of a Thief-y here's a buidling/complex/etc, here's some intel, proceed as you will approach.  From what I've read, Chaos Theory is more "here are three separate paths to the same desitnation" a la the train level from Pandora Tomorrow.  Love to be wrong though.

The other enhancements are nice, but most of those issues didn't bother me too much the first time out.

I do hope there are fewer forced-combat situations.  I don't think the SC interface is particulary good for those moments and they were often the source of my primary frustration with the previous games.

I'm definitely looking forward to Chaos Theory but the reviews don't seem nearly as enthusiastic in tone as, say, God of War, despite similarly high review scores.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:51:32 PM »

I`d say "this may be the best xbox game to date" is pretty enthusiastic :wink: . I`m thinking I`ll love it. I really didn`t have many gripes with the last 2 games. I know lots of you will find that hard to believe, especially since I`m a huge thief fan :shock: .

Here`s some stuff from the gamespy review.

Pros
 Jaw-dropping graphics; solo mode offers more in-mission choices than ever; excellent online co-op and versus multiplayer modes; great sound and score.  
 Cons
Default difficulty may be too easy for veterans; graphics look too realistic sometimes.  

"Now, Montreal is ready to show gamers what they've spent the last few years creating: one of the best Xbox games of all time." -gamespy

"However, the developers at Ubisoft wanted to ensure that there was more than one way to get through a level, and they've succeeded in crafting the video game version of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book." -gamespy

"I normally wouldn't care about changing people's view of a franchise or a genre, but this game should be enjoyed by every type of gamer. You can play it however you'd like: stealthily or aggressively, smartly or stupidly, alone or with friends. It's worth checking out, even if you just want to see the most impressive graphics of this console generation. The team from Montreal has shown us that they can deliver the goods. They've also given us a glimpse into the future of gaming, and it's looking brighter than ever." -gamespy

There`s lots more where that came from too :wink: . I`m certainly not trying to change anyones mind. But everything I`ve read on this game makes me really looking forward to playing it!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »

Err this is not coming out on the 31st anymore? If not, I am getting at CC for 37.99. Kevin, in terms of single player being different, well, I didnt really enjoy the stealth elements (felt too forced) of the first two games, but the single player demo for CT was just awesome.I actually enjoyed sneaking the way they had set it up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:27:44 PM »

I'm hoping that I'll see my copy very very soon...here is hoping that it'll be there when I get home.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm hoping that I'll see my copy very very soon...here is hoping that it'll be there when I get home.

Here is hoping that you give it TO ME RIGHT NOW GODDAMNIT.

Ingrates frown
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »

Dinner @ 5-5:30ish
 Call EB @6ish
 Play SP:CT @ 10ish(after twentyfour)
 Hopefully! :wink:

Or else :twisted: !!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 09:48:59 PM »

They've also improved the multiplayer for those who play.  Not only is there a COOP mode, they've drastically updated and rebalanced the Spies vs. Merc game.

It's still tough on newbies, but now there's less of those frustrating super spies.  There are still some really nasty spy players, but it's really obvious that they're much more experienced, as their nastier moves require teamwork.  So, nothing that I can't train into new players.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 09:56:06 PM »

Well, the game was always shipping today.  The 31st date was more a "it will be in all stores by then" thing.  I'll have to see if EB called me when I get home, I'll go and pick my Collector's Edition up...woo!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Well, the game was always shipping today.  The 31st date was more a "it will be in all stores by then" thing.  I'll have to see if EB called me when I get home, I'll go and pick my Collector's Edition up...woo!

Ahso Foxy, thanks. I thought 31 was the ship date in general. Good stuff. Any idea when CC will get their copies man?

I am very very much looking foward to the coop missions with you guys, but it will be PC baby yeah!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 10:06:22 PM »

Depends on if they already have the game in the back or not.  If so it may be out today, but probably tomorrow.  Well, it says in store Thursday in the ad, so who knows.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 10:10:58 PM »

I called EB, Gamestop, Funcoland, and Gamecrazy today, and none of them will have the game until tomorrow.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 10:14:35 PM »

Looks like wednesday for me, class from 9-9 tomorrow frown
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 10:22:56 PM »

my eb is still saying tonight. We`ll see. It all depends on the store.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 10:28:27 PM »

Yeah, generally EB/Gamestop stores will go to the airport and grab the copies that fly in on ship day if they have enough pre-orders for the games.  There has to be a high number of pre-orders for it to happen though or it has to be a big name title.  We'll see if mine has it today or not.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 11:38:46 PM »

I'm going to post a topic in the multiplayer forum on this.

If anyone wants to play friendly training games of both COOP and VS modes on the PC, drop me a PM or e-mail.  I'm on spring break, so I can play almost any time.

I've played the VS mode a lot and having someone train you in that mode can mean the difference between it being a frustrating experience, or a fun one.  I could also use some people to help me take screenshots for a guide to playing for new players.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:46 AM »

Quote from: "Gamespy Review"
"However, the developers at Ubisoft wanted to ensure that there was more than one way to get through a level, and they've succeeded in crafting the video game version of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book."

This is what I was referring to.  It seems like the choices are closer to multiple specific paths than explore the complex at will which I think is what the Thief games nail.

Saying "solo mode offers more in-mission choices than ever" doesn't necessarily mean much when the in-mission choices in previous games was almost nil.

Quote from: "Rage"
Kevin, in terms of single player being different, well, I didnt really enjoy the stealth elements (felt too forced) of the first two games, but the single player demo for CT was just awesome.I actually enjoyed sneaking the way they had set it up.

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit but honestly it didn't seem that much different than the previous games to me.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 02:53:33 AM »

OK.  I am definately getting this game.

PC vs Xbox though is the choice I need to make.

How do I decide?  Anyone care to give their thoughts?

If I end up with the PC version, I will take you up on your offer to train me Turtle.

I can be Turtle Jr.

LD   :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 02:56:48 AM »

Well, they never called me...I'm getting the Xbox version.  For FPS games I'll always pick the PC version, but with Splinter Cell I find things just run better on the Xbox.  Sure, the PC has higher resolutions, but you also need a mondo rig to run at those resolutions with the Splinter Cell games it seems.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 03:26:32 AM »

Damnit why eveyrone with the Xuhboxuh version? Tell me this ninjas, does the console version have save anywhere?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 04:00:59 AM »

Um, I think it does.  Tongue

The reason I'm getting it for the PC is that the VS. mode has you playing the mercs in an FPS perspective.

You also have a lot more control of Sam's movement speed on the PC version.  Instead of holding the thumbstick a a few degrees forward, I simply scroll the mousewheel to decide what speed I want to move at.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 04:56:01 AM »

Gamespot review, as usual much lower, 8.6
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/splintercell3/review.html

reading it now.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 05:05:28 AM »

I'll gladly take multiple specific paths over the one specific path of Pandora Tomorrow smile  Any of you Live folks up for a game tonight?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 05:10:18 AM »

Damnit why eveyrone with the Xuhboxuh version? Tell me this ninjas, does the console version have save anywhere?

I'm sure you've read the Gamespot review now...the Xbox version does indeed have save anywhere.  As for the review...Kasavin, although I think he's a great writer, tends to beat down on Splinter Cell.  Maybe he should have had someone else have a go at the latest one just to spice things up a bit.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 05:13:25 AM »

I'm sure you've read the Gamespot review now...the Xbox version does indeed have save anywhere.  As for the review...Kasavin, although I think he's a great writer, tends to beat down on Splinter Cell.  Maybe he should have had someone else have a go at the latest one just to spice things up a bit.

While I think that Kasavin is a competent video game writer, I would hesitate to put him anywhere near the reserved pantheon of "great writers"  Cool

I am still deciding on the version. right now I am still leaning towards the PC version, but the XBox one is tempting.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 05:26:44 AM »

I guess I misphrased...I should say usually his numbers would match up well with mine or I agree with most of what he says.  In the Splinter Cell universe though, he goes a different way for some reason.  Both IGN and Gamespot have become more and more longwinded in their reviews (which is why many are 3+ pages that you have to click through), so the possibility of drifting off tangently is much more likely.

Anyway, Chaos Theory sounds like it will be the ultimate version I'd been looking for.  The one thing I harp on about SC is that it is too trial-and-error (something Kasavin talks about as well), but it evidently isn't that way in Chaos Theory, which is a huge step in my mind.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 06:04:02 AM »

reading it now.

Gamespot, as site practice, tends to rate sequels slightly less than the original unless they are considerably advanced over their predecessor.  There are obviously different outooks on this practice but I understand their standpoint and they do a pretty good job of being consistent about it.  

I wouldn't be to hard on Kasavin and the SC series though- his initial SC review was controversial back in the "day" but he gave Pandora Tomorrow a 9.1 which is relatively high for GS, largely on the strength of its revolutionary multiplayer.  He's never been as enamoured with the single player as some, but he's hardly in a small majority there and his criticisms are fair.  

Kasavin's CT review seems pretty consistent with his previous reviews- he says the multiplayer is improved and the single player game is better than either of the two previous which the score backs up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 06:28:22 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

reading it now.

Gamespot, as site practice, tends to rate sequels slightly less than the original unless they are considerably advanced over their predecessor.  There are obviously different outooks on this practice but I understand their standpoint and they do a pretty good job of being consistent about it.  

I wouldn't be to hard on Kasavin and the SC series though- his initial SC review was controversial back in the "day" but he gave Pandora Tomorrow a 9.1 which is relatively high for GS, largely on the strength of its revolutionary multiplayer.  He's never been as enamoured with the single player as some, but he's hardly in a small majority there and his criticisms are fair.  

Kasavin's CT review seems pretty consistent with his previous reviews- he says the multiplayer is improved and the single player game is better than either of the two previous which the score backs up.

Im so frustrated, I still cant get the SCCT demo to run at what I consider a really appropriate level. I dont understand what the hell is causing so much slowdown and stutter with games on my damn rig.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 06:46:00 AM »

Im so frustrated, I still cant get the SCCT demo to run at what I consider a really appropriate level. I dont understand what the hell is causing so much slowdown and stutter with games on my damn rig.

Heh, yeah I'm leaning toward the PC version thanks to the improved visuals but I recall it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked when I played the demo a few weeks ago.  I'm planning on replaying it before deciding on a version this week.  

I'm tempted to rent the Xbox version to compare the visuals but I'm going to be in a time press if I want to decide on a version of the game by the time the sales go off on Saturday.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 06:47:53 AM »

As for the review...Kasavin, although I think he's a great writer, tends to beat down on Splinter Cell.  

I don't agree.

His review of CT has deterred me from a purchase.  Thank God.   Waaaay too many great games around right now to play for me to have to worry about another one.  Still haven't gotten God of War.

I actually agree with alot of his comments made in his CT review, particularly the one about CT's multiplayer being an aquired taste (the tone of his critique suggests the multiplayer is more of a nitch thing), which I personally just don't have time to get in to.  Also, I am in agreement with his complaint that the completely contextual nature of the coop actions in coop mode makes the actions feel contrived.  His review has saved me $50.  I hope you guys enjoy it, I'm sure it's great, but I just don't have the time for this with much bigger gaming fish coming soon and already available to fry.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
halcyon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 07:16:14 AM »

Here are my first impressions I posted over at OO:

Picked this up today and played through the first two single player missions. I also tried out some of the new co-op mode over Live. The graphics are very, very nice with some great lighting and bump mapping (still not as great looking as Riddick though). The story so far is pretty straight ahead Tom Clancy and ties in well with the first two games. I really enjoyed the Lighthouse mission (same level as in the PC demo). I particularly love using the knife.

The co-op is a blast. As long as Red Storm continues to put online co-op in all of their games (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and now SC) every one is a must buy for me. In SC:CT , it consists of a story mode that you can save and pick up later. Some of the moves you can pull off via co-op are pretty sweet. They include a two person rappel, a human ladder, a wall boost and - my favorite - a throw in which you launch your teammate at an enemy for a takedown or to fling them across a pit.

There is also a noise meter tied to your voice mic if you are using one on Live. If you talk too loud when a bad guy is nearby, they will hear you and come to investigate. You really have to whisper and be as silent as possible. This is actually pretty tough as we discovered and we ended up betraying our location a few times. As far as I can tell the co-op story is different than the single player campaign - though I am only a little ways in on each. I also love the adversarial Mercs vs. Agents but haven't tried it out yet to see what (if anything) is new from PT. So far, so good and a big thumbs up on the co-op.

Now playing:
PC: SH3, Dangerous Waters, UT2K4, Gary Grigsby's World at War
Xbox: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
GC: Nothing right now.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 09:12:50 PM »

BTW, red storm has NOTHING to do with this or the other splinter cells. Or rainbow six xbox I believe. I think they made ghost recon 1 and 2 though.
 And I wouldn`t let the gamespot review sway your opinion, this game is simply alot better than the other splinter cells.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 09:27:43 PM »

I'll echo Harpua3's comments.  And he is also correct, Red Storm doesn't have anything to do with SC - they are made by Ubisoft Montreal for the first and third and Ubi Shanghai for Pandora Tomorrow.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 11:09:20 PM »

BTW, red storm has NOTHING to do with this or the other splinter cells. Or rainbow six xbox I believe. I think they made ghost recon 1 and 2 though.
 And I wouldn`t let the gamespot review sway your opinion, this game is simply alot better than the other splinter cells.

That's not counter to the GS review- it says right in it that it has the best multiplayer and single player of all of the Splinter Cells.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 03:52:16 PM »

Why can these guys not implement 480p?  It looks great, but that alone keeps it from being the best looking game on the system.

Oh well, great game though.  Had a blast playing co-op with a buddy of mine last night.  Contrived?  Pfft.  It's a helluva lot of fun and the new moves are a blast.  I'm starting on the single-player campaign tonight.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

That's not counter to the GS review- it says right in it that it has the best multiplayer and single player of all of the Splinter Cells.

I guess my point is that IMO gamespot isn`t giving this game the credit it deserves. I really don`t care what ratings are, I`m not here to bitch about that. But, when I see people say "I`m not getting this one now because of that gamespot review" I want to slap them, or someone :wink: . It is seriously a GREAT game. I`m only on the 3rd mission and it is REALLY impressive.  The single player, co-op, and vs. all rock. I`m not sure since I haven`t beat it yet, but if it keeps going this way...this is going to easily be on of my favorites of all time. Great game.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »

I just played through the first mission (69% score, 10 KOs, 7 kills) and it's such a great improvement over I and II in terms of game play: no loading zones mid-mission, the ability to save anywhere, and a real seamless sense of freedom about how to go about your goals.  The quick select menu is much better than in previous games.  

The graphics are amazing.

SC:PT definitely is my least favorite of the three, and the first is excellent, but this is a real evolution in terms of how you are able to play the game.  Can't wait to try out the co-op (which is available in split screen mode too on the Xbox) and the SvM mode.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: