http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 03:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scary games...  (Read 3031 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2004, 06:36:10 PM »

So, my girlfriend was all like, "I want to play a scary game!" I read a few days ago about Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly, and how it was all scary... so, we picked it up yesterday for the PS2.

Game starts, we're both feeling cool (and by cool, I mean, 'we're not gonna be scared by this wussy game' cool) , not immersed at all, lights just went off, she's trying to figure out the controls. Creepy, but not scary, pretty well done, nothing too special...

... for long. Then it gets creepier. And creepier. And holy farking crap creepier! Creepy to the point that my dog was freaking out and running around the room, which is odd, since I don't think that he was watching or listening; he must have smelled our fear.

Let me tell you: if you want a good scare, pick up this game. It is far superior to resident evil and (in my opinion) Silent Hill. As you wander around abandoned buildings in a long-forgotten town and all of the sudden your 'ghost meter' thing lights up red, but you can't see anything, you'll scream like the 11 year old Japanese girl that you're playing as (one of a set of twins), throw your controller across the room, turn on the lights, and run screaming for mamma. It's the best things since the dogs jumped through the hallway window in Resident Evil 1. Check it out, if you haven't.

Anyone know of other overlooked scary games?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 06:45:21 PM »

My Review of it clearly stated that I was nine kinds of freaked out by this one. It's a strong horror game, in that it's not excessively gory (see The Suffering) and instead works to mess with your head. That's the best kind of horror game, IMO.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »

I can't even bring myself to finish Eternal Darkness.  I was too embarrassed to do it while living with my girlfriend, and now that she's moved out I don't stand a chance alone.  Always wished I could get into those games, but I suppose my imagination is a little too strong.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 07:01:25 PM »

I remember trying to play through System Shock 2. My overactive imagination does not help with these scary games, so I had to take a break after every hour, or so, because it always got too intense. Yet, I forced myself to play through it, because the game was just that good. So after a lot of manly grunting, sheer spunk, flexing of muscles, and bearing of teeth, I succeeded. And I'm ever thankful for it. And I'll never touch the game ever again.

As for Silent Hill...

...Silent Hill can remain Silent. Which, in retrospect, is sort of sad, since I have all three of them, including Eternal Darkness. Erh.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 07:10:40 PM »

Why is it that everyone who brings up "The Scary Game"(tm) mentions "System Shock 2"? For the record, the game was truly scary in just how damn boring it was. The revelation of SHODAN being the lone exception to that sentiment. There was nothing there, just a bunch of data pads that lent nothing to the game, and at the end of it you have everything yanked out from under you. That's spelled S-T-U-P-I-D. biggrin

Undying was way scarier, until the ending boss monster which was just dumb. Here's hoping "Call of Cthulu" is just as scary as the demos and screens we've all seen. What I saw at E3 last year freaked me out with its potential, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 07:12:17 PM »

I'm not too thrilled with scary games.  It's that psychological horror that really gets under my skin.

I played the first Silent Hill. Maybe it was the second.  Anyway, they had a school full of mutilated babies that carried knives.

I tried playing the RE series with the lights out.  Nobody will ever forget the dogs jumping through the window.  The first zombie encounter in RE1.

The clunky control scheme turned me off after awhile.

Those children in Code Veronica were twisted.  The old films they showed (pulling the wings off a dragonfly) were great.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 07:13:06 PM »

For the record, System Shock 2 was the only game I've ever played that fully scared the bajezzers out of me. And it did it pretty much the entire game.

Now, I've never played any of the Fatal Frame games. I've seen them played from a friend of mine, and it seemed spooky enough, but I've never sat down and actually played it.

I might have to pick it up. Just gotta find the time to play it. frown

Edit - Mitch, what is wrong with you? SS2 is one of the best games of all time just because of how scary of a title it is. You must not have any fear or something.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 08:05:44 PM »

Mitch, you weren't blinded by an experimental chemical spill as a child, were you?

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 08:45:40 PM »

By the way, Fatal Frame 2 supposedly does have multiple endings.  I thought that I read somewhere that there were 4 of them, but it's probably just 2, one for each difficulty.  Anyone?  Oh, yeah, Mitch: I know exactly which freak-out moment from the beginning of the game that you refer to in the review.  Creepy!

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:00:20 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Why is it that everyone who brings up "The Scary Game"(tm) mentions "System Shock 2"? For the record, the game was truly scary in just how damn boring it was. The revelation of SHODAN being the lone exception to that sentiment. There was nothing there, just a bunch of data pads that lent nothing to the game, and at the end of it you have everything yanked out from under you. That's spelled S-T-U-P-I-D. biggrin

Why do you hurt me so? Why must you belittle the absolute excellence that is SS2? Soon you'll be spouting how Thief is highly overrated, and how Deus Ex did nothing for you. And I'm sure you'd give a jab at both Jagged Alliance 2 and Planescape Torment just because. Tongue

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 10:33:04 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Why is it that everyone who brings up "The Scary Game"(tm) mentions "System Shock 2"?

One of the best games EVER made... Period.  The RPG elements were awesome.  The environment was excellent.  The audio was unbelievable scary.  The music even better.  The storyline: excellent.
The graphics could've used some help, I agree.  

If you guys want to play it again with a twist go check out System Shock Rebirth.  It has enhanced graphics for the entire game (characters):

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

Mitch, you are a twisted twisted man.  But to each his own I always say. slywink
Maybe you just don't like PC games in general?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 10:33:39 AM »

Fatal Frame 2 was the scariest game I've ever played. Period.

The Silent Hill's are scary in a creepy sort of way, but Fatal Frame is just  frightening.  There were a few times when I almost couldn't get myself past certain parts because of the fear factor.   I almost resorted to playing it during the day with some happy music playing in the background, but forced myself to only play at night with the sound turned up.  That caused some premature grey hairs.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 03:02:48 PM »

To all the mockery hurled my way re: SS2, to thee I say: "BAH!"

"System Shock 2" was not, to me, either scary or worthwhile. Sadly, I'm having to knock "Far Cry" too, but there are concessions to that: I'm not playing on the higher difficulty levels, I've not gotten to the Tri Gens, and the game looks like crap on my machine just to run. Were any of these changed, I'd likely sing its hosannahs like everyone else.

System Shock 2, on the other hand, was ass pure and simple. biggrin

"Planescape: Torment" is my favorite game of all time, and the more emotional experience I've ever had in a game. Period. Well, if you can exclude the blinding hatred from playing TMNT. smile

So what do I consider "scary"? The fact that my life is shut down unti lthe wedding next month, for one thing. But for another? I'd say the way a good psychological horror flick like "Ringu" works: It takes you down one path then yanks the rug out from under you without insulting your intelligence (see the possible ending to The Village for an example of a twist ending done badly). The moment early on in "Fatal Frame 2" that was referenced early on was a perfect example of how to relax then freak you out in one breath.

I dislike horror overall because I have a hard time with the setups and the executions. Mainly I have trouble with the typical "ultimate undead killer hunts down only teenagers" crap that we were all raised on in the 70's and 80's, with the exception being the original Halloween. And the killer there was a normal human being, just one that was a bit physically stronger than most. I have less trouble getting into electronic horror though because of the "you are there" intimacy of gaming in your living room, but it still needs to grab me by the heart and mind both. The first Silent Hill was a freakish game, but it scared the ever loving crap out of my roommate. When the nurse starts bleeding out and runs after the hero, my roommate and I just about went through the roof. Great moment, that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: