http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 12:15:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scaler ain't half bad  (Read 1544 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2004, 10:10:53 PM »

And it's not all bad, either.  On a whim, I picked up Scaler, a little platformer with a chameleon that can change more than his colors - he transforms into different creatures once he gains the ability.  Nice little gimick, though I've yet to see it implemented in my limited play time (apparently it starts on the second level, from the cutscene I saw).

Nothing really new here (aside from the afforementioned morphing) - lots of platforming and some rail grinding and things to collect - but it seems pretty well done.  There's some good variety in the creatures you fight very evident on the first level.  Who knows how much more variety as the game progresses, but for now, I'm impressed.

Honestly, this is more what I wanted Ty 2 to be.  I like my platformers with defined levels and goals with a per level checklist of what I need to collect.  Ty 2 went with the massive world thing with many choices for what you can do.  Great if you can pull it off, not so great if you can't.

I do love my platformers.  If you do as well, give this game a try.  At $20, you'll hardly be hurt.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 02:25:42 AM »

Cool!  I also picked up Ty 2 on a whim and while it has a lot of potential, I find that I like having more defined goals and direction than it provided.  I may just have to pick this one up.  If I didn't have a million other games sitting here half-played and more coming this next month!!!  AAAAHHHHHH!@!!!!   :shock:

I just wanted to also say that I love the trend of these sorts of games (this, Ty2, Crash n Burn, etc) coming out at $20!  They don't have the huge backing of major titles but they certainly earn their worth in my book.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 07:46:13 AM »

I tried to like Ty and Ty 2, but they just don't feel right.  I'd like to see another Voodoo Vince, that was a good platformer that some of the others could take hints from.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »

I'd like to see another Voodoo Vince

Agreed.  

For the record, IGN just gave Scaler an 8.0, which is pretty amazing for a small platformer (Ty 2 got a 7.0).

I think the control is better in Scaler than in Ty.  There was something about the first Ty that I liked a lot, though.  Maybe it can be attributed to the fact that I had just gotten back into consoles and hadn't done the whole platformer thing in years.  Really it was just a comfortable, nice game.  Easy going.  Which fit the setting and all.

Again, Scaler seems to be a little tighter than Ty.  The only problem I've had was jumping on a rotating platform and that was due to (suprise, suprise) the camera.  But even in Voodoo Vince, sometimes the jumping was a little frustrating (mostly due to the timing required on the double jump...argh).

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 05:06:51 PM »

I picked up Scaler based on your recommendation, Bullwinkle, and I must say I'm very impressed!  I'm only about halfway through the second section, but I've gotten my first transformation and am having a ball!  

For a $20 platformer you certainly can't go wrong with this one!  It looks great, plays tight, has a sense of humor and is just plain solid all around.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 05:11:55 PM »

It's looks beautiful as well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
It's looks beautiful as well.

Yes indeedy!  Very bright and fanciful colors and designs.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 07:15:23 PM »

picked up Scaler based on your recommendation, Bullwinkle

I'm glad you're enjoying it!  

Not a lot of response, though.  I guess the CGFE is not as powerful as the GGFE was.  So much for this forum now being the ultimate power in the universe...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »

I'm definitely intersted as I love platformers but the plate is just too full now.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 10:43:29 PM »

No pressure, but everybody's playing it.  If you want to be a big loser, that's fine by me...

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »

Yeah, all the cool kids are doing it.    :lol:

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 03:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
I'm glad you're enjoying it!  

Not a lot of response, though.  I guess the CGFE is not as powerful as the GGFE was.  So much for this forum now being the ultimate power in the universe...

Give it time... just before GG went down, this forum had less than 200 registered users... they're up a bit now. slywink

As to the power of your suggestion, I wasn't even going to rent this. Now I am. slywink (I don't generally throw down money for platformers... they've got to be REALLY good. )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 05:17:44 PM »

My very first CGFE!

I went out and bought this today, and it's not even really the kind of game I usually play.

Thanks Bullwinkle  Tongue

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 05:59:32 PM »

Thanks Bullwinkle

Hopefully you'll still be thanking me after you play it.  Especially if it's not your normal game style.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: