http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:14:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa is getting my 7 yr-old a DS- Need recommendations  (Read 1144 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:37:37 PM »

So the fates have converged and we just came into enough money for Santa to get my 7 yr old son a proper gift this Christmas.  I plan on picking up 2 games for him using store credit at gamestop and I need some recommendations.  

I am almost certainly picking up Animal Crossing (he loved the first one even when he couldn't read- now he can) but I need a second recommendation.  My thoughts are leaning towards Sonic dash or Mario & Luigi, but I want to make sure he can play it fine.  Will probably pick up Mario Kart DS at a later date as he's never been too keen on racing games (but I am, heheh).  Also plan to hold off on Nintendogs as Animal Crossing is already quite sim-ish.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 06:08:52 PM »

what about something like kirby, where the game is focused on just using the stylus?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:24:02 PM »

Does he already have a GBA?  If not, that opens up a lot of options for a 2nd game.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:42:14 PM »

I was considering Kirby....

He has a GBA and several games.  I plan on taking it over and hope to finish the 1st Mario and Luigi after he gets this slywink

Mike Dunn
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »

My 8 year old is getting Nintendogs.... I *think* she can do it... she says she can anyway.

I got her the Mario Kart bundle- she loves flames so the red DS is gonna go over well... and she is  a pretty good Kart racer on the Cube... in and if she doesn't like Kart, well I do smile

I am also probably gonna pick up AC-

heh, all I did was re-hash- sorry- so yeah ideas for the age group- um good question- I shall watch the thread too - heh
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 07:43:22 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
I got her the Mario Kart bundle- she loves flames... so the red DS is gonna go over well...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 07:58:14 PM »

Hehe, CS you have NO idea.... she has flames on her motorcycle helmet too... I fear I have already lost the battle... actually a big weight off my shoulders ... :shock:
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 03:58:58 AM »

Well, I picked up a DS today at Target for 99 bucks (see the other thread about the Target Catalogue printing snafu  :twisted: ).  They only had silver (wnated to get him blue, oh well Tongue).  I have 40 bucks in trade-in at gamestop and the wife and I decided to take back a couple of Kong action figures that we had just settled for the other day in favor of getting a second game.

Apparently he is really keen on Mario and Luigi and Animal Crossing, so those look like the winners, unless someone can compel me otherwise....

Mike Dunn
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 04:44:08 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
Apparently he is really keen on Mario and Luigi and Animal Crossing, so those look like the winners, unless someone can compel me otherwise....

I can't - those two are winners and are sure to please!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 08:39:54 AM »

I just opened it up to, uh, test for dead pixels (yeah, that's it).  Thankfully, it is pristine.  I did program it with his name, birthday, etc., however.  Also programmed a welcome message (I think that's what it was) that says "Merry Xmas Griffin, from Santa" biggrin

He's 7.  We may only have one or two more Christmas' that he'll still believe in Santa (and at least one more where he'll probably fake us out so he'll get more presents slywink)  Santa has to bring the good stuff!  biggrin:D

Mind you, this was #2 on his list.  His Grandparents already got him #1: Roboraptor.

Naturally, -I- can't wait to play with both  unibrow

Mike Dunn
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 05:33:23 PM »

ohh, didn't know you program that into the DS...guess I WILL have to open it now smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »

If you happen to have a couple of extra bucks laying around, it wouldn't hurt to pick some extra games up on the cheap for "Him"

I can guarantee that if you picked up either Polarium or Zoo Keeper, both you and the wife will be playing it as much as him. There are a ton of great games available but in the now MK and AC will hold his attention.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »

Mario & Luigi is great but they are fairly text intensive (as are most RPGs) so they might not be a great idea if he doesn't enjoy reading.  Then again its also a great way to motivate kids to read smile

I'd definitely suggest Kirby for the DS too.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »

Hmnnnn....  Animal Crossing is probably fairly text intensive as well, and while he has gotten better at reading and I want to encourage him, I think a second game that doesn't require so much reading would be a better counterpoint.

That said, Kirby or Sonic Dash?

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 12:11:40 AM »

Or should I just get Super Mario DS?

Mike Dunn
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 12:23:41 AM »

What about Warioware Touched?  I know Twisted was supposed to be superior, but if you're looking for DS specific game then Touched might work for your kid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: