http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:53:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints Row Impressions...b1#$@!  (Read 7381 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »

Build up your respect to a pre determined lvl.
Robbing some stores, and doing a few of the story missions should help.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »

My respect is up to something like 35 from doing activities.  How high is the "pre determined" level?

EDIT: Make that 40.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:30:37 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2006, 05:10:56 AM »

I do a few plot missions here and there, but i most likely tracking down the mayhem and insurance missions so  far.   Mayhem is super fun because they give you infinite ammo on several weapons and you just run around taking down the neighborhood.   Also get pretty excited when i get phoned into a turf battle.   It's fun picking up weapons and rounding up your posse to run into battle.   
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2006, 03:16:17 PM »

I would like to see some of your guys' avatars for this game.

Take some pictures and post them if it's easy, will ya' please?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 31, 2006, 06:17:46 PM

My respect is up to something like 35 from doing activities.  How high is the "pre determined" level?

EDIT: Make that 40.

I unlocked the second "Homie" after a mission, not a respect level.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2006, 11:41:01 PM »

I just this game someith like 5% in.  Anyway, can you take over business or extort businesses or is everything missin base?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2006, 02:10:55 AM »

Is there a better place in the beginning to get guns than the first gun shop, or some place to reload?  Seems like guns are crazy expensive and come with crap as far as ammo goes.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2006, 02:51:56 AM »

Quote from: kathode on September 02, 2006, 02:10:55 AM

Is there a better place in the beginning to get guns than the first gun shop, or some place to reload?  Seems like guns are crazy expensive and come with crap as far as ammo goes.

I get all my guns off the dead, haven't bought anything at the gun shop since the one time they told me to. You can get a few pistol clips at your house, not much though. Other than that, take out opposing gang members, they're all armed. Just use less bullets killing them than you get. slywink Another option is to go near the pay  and spr... err.. forgive and forget and start a war on cops, if they start to overwhelm you, confess! smile

I havn't really had much problem with ammo personally, when I get low I pop more Vice Kings. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2006, 02:55:33 AM »

I STILL have not had time to play this past the demo area. Tonight, for sure!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2006, 05:55:12 AM »

I just this game someith like 5% in.  Anyway, can you take over business or extort businesses or is everything missin base?

nope no taking over businesses or anything.  funny you mention that because i keep playing this game and remembering how much better / more i loved the godfather - im guessing you played that soul?  anyway that game was great! saints row has a couple of businesses that can be robbed, but none of the neat extortion stuff that the godfather worked in (or bank robberies, or rackets or...)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2006, 06:09:42 AM »

I'm at 24% as of now.  I've put in quite a bit of time and I'm hoping to really kick some ass and get it reviewed on Monday or so.  Thus far my impressions are pretty positive.  There are still some things that just make me scream bullshit; sad hold-overs from GTA.  For instance, you can still be busted if a cop gets ahold of your car door or you get knocked down.  Uh...I have homies guarding me and the fight is still on, so why can I be busted just because a cop points a gun at me?  Bleh.  Dumb. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »

So, would a one sentence review be, "This is another GTA game with pretty graphics."?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2006, 03:27:38 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 02, 2006, 02:13:58 PM

So, would a one sentence review be, "This is another GTA game with pretty graphics."?

Multiplayer certainly differentiates it. It's clearly based on GTA, yet different. Some differences good, some less good.
So make it "This is another GTA game with pretty graphics and multiplayer."

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 01, 2006, 03:16:17 PM

I would like to see some of your guys' avatars for this game.

Take some pictures and post them if it's easy, will ya' please?

I'll work on this, but to sum him up.. I made General Zod.   
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2006, 02:52:50 PM »

Well, I've ran into a mission bug last night.  I was working on one of the Rollerz mission and I have to protect 3 trucks from being hi-jacked.   I get to the third truck and kill all the rollerz, but the mission never completed.  I had to replay the mission three times before I got the completion.   It seems I had to use some hand grenades to actually blow up the Rollerz cars. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 29, 2006, 10:07:04 PM

Oh, and GTA: SA isn't a 9 at all. I gave it an 85% for the site and stand by that because that's all it is.

Which is a 9 with rounding rules, right?  Tongue

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2006, 10:24:48 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 03, 2006, 03:29:52 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 29, 2006, 10:07:04 PM

Oh, and GTA: SA isn't a 9 at all. I gave it an 85% for the site and stand by that because that's all it is.

Which is a 9 with rounding rules, right?  Tongue

Nope. Middle of the road 80th percentile. It does what it does well, but graphics on the PS2 suck, have way too many problems with pop-ins, and I say poppycock to those who say it redefined console gaming.

Poppycock. nod

That being said, on with the Saint's Row impressions/bugs.  ninja2

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »

I still really enjoy this game, even with the crazy lag online.

- Shotguns have waaaaaaay too much range.  I mean, yeah, from long-distance they're useless, but from medium they're too dangerous.

- Unlimited burgers to replenish health online is still a tad sketchy.

- Too easy to snipe with the sniper rifle.  It sort of locks on, it seems.

- Are headshots registered with the pistol?  I liked how in PD0 you'd still have a shot against someone with a superior weapon if you aimed for the head, but it seems like, to me so far, that pistol head-shots don't register or aren't in the game...

I've only played a limited amount of Protect da Pimp and lots of Team Gangsta Brawl - are the other multiplayer modes worth checking out?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2006, 11:30:52 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 03, 2006, 02:52:50 PM

Well, I've ran into a mission bug last night.  I was working on one of the Rollerz mission and I have to protect 3 trucks from being hi-jacked.   I get to the third truck and kill all the rollerz, but the mission never completed.  I had to replay the mission three times before I got the completion.   It seems I had to use some hand grenades to actually blow up the Rollerz cars. 

Hmm, I blew them up with my assault rifle. It's was probably a bug or someone was still alive somewhere.

I'm almost 50% in and am having a great time with hit.  A few frustrations for sure, but only minor ones.  The lack of mid-mission checkpoints is annoying on a handful of the tougher ones.  And when I whistle for my hos to get in the car those b*tches need to hurry the f*ck up, yo.

If anyone is in need of money or respect just do the Insurance Fraud missions.  They're really easy if you do the following:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Use a cop car and get in repeated head-on full-speed collisions at the target zone.  Pull and hold the right trigger just before you hit (not the left as it operates the hand brake).  My biggest collect was just over $2 million!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »

I broke the counter on insurance fraud. In statistics my best for a single fall is $20,000,000 and best total is $-19mm and change, yup negative hehe. I wish they had a leaderboard for that. slywink

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2006, 03:50:42 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 02, 2006, 02:10:55 AM

Another way to alleviate ammo pressures is by doing the Hitman activities. They are probably the fastest way to get ammo reloads in your house. Completing the missions for a gang adds guns and ammo to your hideout as well.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »

I was shocked at the end of this game! OMG!

Spoiler for Hiden:
After I take over the entire god damn city, the end of the game is...you are killed by your own fucking gang because you got too powerful. Or most likely, you are blown up, but will survive to star in Saints Row 2: Take Back the Territory you got in Saints Row 1
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 03, 2006, 11:30:52 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 03, 2006, 02:52:50 PM

Hmm, I blew them up with my assault rifle. It's was probably a bug or someone was still alive somewhere.

I'm almost 50% in and am having a great time with hit.  A few frustrations for sure, but only minor ones.  The lack of mid-mission checkpoints is annoying on a handful of the tougher ones.  And when I whistle for my hos to get in the car those b*tches need to hurry the f*ck up, yo.

If anyone is in need of money or respect just do the Insurance Fraud missions.  They're really easy if you do the following:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Use a cop car and get in repeated head-on full-speed collisions at the target zone.  Pull and hold the right trigger just before you hit (not the left as it operates the hand brake).  My biggest collect was just over $2 million!
Awesoem thanks for the tip, I was really sucking at insurance fraud missions.

Quick question: could someone please explain to me how hitman missions work. I accepted one, and it told me my first target was by the stadium. Drove around it for 20 minutes and couldn't find him, then gave up. Some help please?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 04, 2006, 06:25:20 PM

Awesoem thanks for the tip, I was really sucking at insurance fraud missions.

Quick question: could someone please explain to me how hitman missions work. I accepted one, and it told me my first target was by the stadium. Drove around it for 20 minutes and couldn't find him, then gave up. Some help please?

Go to your menu -> info -> activities, select hitman and then the appropriate list... select the guy you want to hunt down and press A. Now drive around the area he is supposed to be in and when he is nearby a crosshair will appear on your radar. Be sure to kill him with the weapon displayed or it won't count. 80% of them are pretty easy the other 20% are not. The rewards you get are worth it. Most of them are only around during the day, there are a couple exceptions, some are in different areas of the city at different times.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2006, 09:17:58 PM »

Some of the hitman targets also spawn in vehicles, so you'll really need to snag a vehicle of that same type to spawn him.  Henry, for instance, drives a limo...you need a limo (Status Quo), and then he'll start spawning.

They also spawn at different times, and some of them wander quite a bit.  Tina, for instance, the rollerblader who is supposed to be in the barrio, I found in the Museum district.

It's really not too hard, but make sure you use the right weapon.  I did them by weapon type; did all Molotov cocktail guys at one time, all the tombstone shotgun guys at one time, etc.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »

Well I have played for about 3 hours now and have some impressions finally. The graphics are good, but still more like a half step up rather than something truly next gen. I do enjoy the fact that the game looks as good as it does and seamlessly loads and plays the whole city without a hitch.I haven't had any real framerate or clipping issues or anything like that. So far I like the game quite a bit. I was not a fan of the GTA games, not at all, but so far I am really enjoying this one. Its funny in a trying too hard to be ghetto kind of way, but the story is fine, the missions are varied and there are tons of them to do and discover, the stronghold missions are fun, and I like the combat mechanics quite a bit. I am not sure what kind of legs this game is going to have for me, but so far I like it quite a bit and will definitely be playing it some more. Hopefully some updated impressions to come.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2006, 10:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 04, 2006, 10:08:58 PM

I am not sure what kind of legs this game is going to have for me, but so far I like it quite a bit and will definitely be playing it some more. Hopefully some updated impressions to come.

It has legs for me, after 26 hours I'm at 36/39 missions, 13/27 activities and I can't wait until I can play again... and that's not even counting the multiplayer. I've only scratched the surface there in random matchups.

We need another HDTV so I can game while my wife watches cable.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2006, 11:51:20 PM »

Hey, the posted spoilered tip about Insurance Fraud missions isn't working for me.  I'm in the car pulling the right trigger and it does nothing as far as I can tell.  Am I doing something wrong?

Nevermind, wasn't going fast enough smile  Awesome.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:52:54 PM by kathode » Logged
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2006, 10:03:54 PM »

hmm well not exactly game related - but did anyone see the recent wendys commercial? with a magic carpet and all? i SWEAR the female singing the song sounds just like the freckle bitches ad girl (whos the "all grown up" version of wendy)...

am i imagining this or is it some really interesting "join marketing" type thing?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2006, 11:59:51 PM »

Finished it tonight!  Good times.  Overall I didn't like it as much as I liked San Andreas but it definitely had it's high points and I enjoyed playing through it.  Even did all the Chop Shop missions too.  The ending is a bit surprising, not in terms of some plot twist or anything, but it's something of a gutsy way to end a game.  I doubt I'll go back to do more activities but you never know.  Also when you get to the credits (the Development credits, not the cast) you can go ahead and quit.  It takes about 10 minutes to scroll through a huge list of radio song credits, and I sat there waiting thinking there'd be some scene at the end, but no.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »

The last mission for the Los Carnales was a huuuuuuge pain.  I hope the other final missions for the other gangs aren't that frustrating...

By the way, anybody else having the issue of no instructions coming up when you initate a tag?  Like, whenever I step up to some grafitti to tag it, I save it, because the last 5 or so times I've tried, no instructions come up, I'm forced to guess, and with no way to get out of it, once a rival gang member comes, he can just shoot me while I'm totally defenseless.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 12, 2006, 08:35:03 PM

The last mission for the Los Carnales was a huuuuuuge pain.  I hope the other final missions for the other gangs aren't that frustrating...

So weird.  They were bitching about that one on OO too, but I finished it on the second try by completely ignoring everything but the plane. 

Haven't seen the bug you were talking about but I find graffiti and to a greater extent, safe cracking, to be a huge pain because of control issues.  It's not always clear where the first movement ends and the next begins, and it seems to drop you back to the start at random.   And the no-exit thing is just crazy.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2006, 09:38:17 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 12, 2006, 09:18:21 PM

Haven't seen the bug you were talking about but I find graffiti and to a greater extent, safe cracking, to be a huge pain because of control issues.  It's not always clear where the first movement ends and the next begins, and it seems to drop you back to the start at random. 

I don't get it, I think the on-screen instructions are perfectly clear... it starts where the arrow starts and ends where the arrow ends. It resets if you are sloppy. After the first one where I was figuring it out I've rarely had to try a second time on a safe.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 12, 2006, 09:38:17 PM

it starts where the arrow starts and ends where the arrow ends.

Choke on your lies!  Very easily I can get it to sit there with a completely filled path and not move on to the next one.  The granularity of the motion tracking is almost random for me.  I'm never sure where it's going to stop taking input for one icon and start for the next one.  The transition is instant which I just plain don't like.  Furthermore I often get in a situation where it starts filling in the paths with "chunks" instead of a smooth fill making it next to impossible.  I tried it many times and finally decided that safe cracking isn't my calling.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2006, 01:19:49 AM »

Quote from: kathode on September 12, 2006, 09:43:36 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on September 12, 2006, 09:38:17 PM

it starts where the arrow starts and ends where the arrow ends.

Choke on your lies!

Next time you're in Dallas, stop by and I'll show you. smile I've never experienced any of the behavior you describe... maybe it is related to having your power supply sitting on carpet and left on for days at a time. slywink

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2006, 02:28:14 AM »

Haha, maybe  icon_biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2006, 10:33:01 PM »

Still plugging my way through this and while it's a good game, I have some pretty major-ish complaints.

- I hate how I have to gain respect to do actual storyline missions.  Just let me proceed through the story without having to kill any pimps and deliver ho's. 

- The difficulty is weird.  Both the last missions for Los Carnales and Rollerz were really, really hard.  At least it allows you to start from the beginning of the mission...but still, the last missions were harder than any other normal mission, and while I agree that the LAST mission SHOULD be the hardest, it was sort of lame-hard. 

- The controls for shooting while driving really bank on the gamer having 3 thumbs.

- I don't see myself getting the achievements for completing all the snatch, escort, race, etc. missions because near the end of each (around lvl 6-7) every activity gets really, really hard.  The escort missions, in particular, are ROUGH.  Those news-vans can haul ass and corner you quickly.

I still like the game, but a few issues bump it down from great to just good.  ESPECIALLY the whole respect system.

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2006, 11:13:50 PM »

When I finished the game I had enough respect to do another 30 missions or so... very sad there weren't any to do hehe. I did all of the race, insurance fraud, hitman and car acquisition activities as well as a bunch of the others and enjoyed them. I suppose if you don't like the activities it might be a lot less fun.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »

Hmm, I guess I just took all of those things as challenges, but I can understand how you'd find them annoying.  I got almost all of my respect I needed for the story missions by just doing the super-easy insurance fraud activities.  I admit I don't shoot at too many people on the highways these days, but I think they did a pretty good job of making shooting while driving somewhat simplistic.  icon_biggrin

I do want to go back and play some more of the activities, but with all of the releases coming up it might be a while...if ever.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: